Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need input on how to get CHINA involved - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Need input on how to get CHINA involved

2»

Comments

• ThePenguinMasterThePenguinMaster Posts: 89
    edited 2007-10-27 12:30
    so what happens when your hammering something and the head flys off and hits some little kid in the face because the head of the hammer was put togather cheaply? lol jk.. in most cases i believe that you get what you pay for.. example, a dial indicator, you can pick up a cheap spi indicator at MSC for $20 bucks and it will work, but your parts come oput (expletive)ty and you cant repeate your setups. after a year of hating the thing it finally breaks. so then you invest a little money and buy a Brown and Sharp indicator for about $250 and it shows in your work. you parts are all lined up and thngs work out. i work on a .0005 scale, so it is nessesary, and then after a lifetime of good service, you pass it onto your son! it was 250, but you didnt get fired for bad parts and if treated properly, it will last a lifetime. also german and swiss built machinery and equipment is expensive, but well worth it.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-10-27 12:56
    There are hammers and there are pliers...
    For my class I needed flat pliers and side cutters (in addition to a set of screwdrivers and a tweezers)

As the Edu Kit took most of the budget there was little left; I looked throug all catalogues, visited two stores, and ordered this and that.

The result was disappointing:
    There are two kinds of electronic pliers: "Proudly made in Germany" (20 to 30 Euro) - a pleasure to work with.
    I also got a set of 6 (including universal pliers and needle-nosed pliers) made in China, for 12 Euros all together.
    You have to clean them first, best file the sharpest edges, but there is still danger to harm yourself with them: don't cut wires without glasses...

I have learned that pliers are in fact High-Tech!

Post Edited (deSilva) : 10/27/2007 1:08:15 PM GMT