Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Telescope observatory dome control. — Parallax Forums

Telescope observatory dome control.

edited 2007-12-30 19:03 in BASIC Stamp
I am not sure if I am asking too much of a BS2 or not!

I have built·the Boe-Bot and worked through all of the projects in the book but I am certainly just beginning my learning curve with the BS2.

Essentially what I want to do is place a BS2 between a Meade telescope and the computer robotically controlling it.· The interface is RS-232, 9600 baud and software handshaking (if even that).· I want it's presence to be transparent and not require any hardware or software changes made to the scope or the computer controlling it, other than the serial cables.

I am hoping that the BS2 can transparently eavesdrop on the communications and at a predefined interval, insert a text string in the communications·going to the scope and then listen for the response, which will tell it the current Altitude and·Azimuth coordinates being pointed at by·the scope.· The telescope Azimuth data will tell the BS2 where the observatory dome Azimuth will need to be and it will drive some reversible gear head DC motors (via solid state relays) to keep the two Azimuths matched to each other whenever they differ by more than 5 degrees or so.· I will have a dome home position switch and an optical encoder on a rubber wheel that will tell the BS2 the current dome Azimuth.· The corrections will be·more frequent·when the telescope's Altitude is low and less frequent as the telescope Altitude increases.· That part·should be simple math and not a challenge.

When this project is done, I plan on making·it public domain.

I am interested in complying with any ASCOM4· standards that might be relevent.· ASCOM4 is an open source communications standard for small telescope observatories.· I don't know a lot about it yet myself.

The completed dome controller project·should work as a stand-alone dome controller, independent of the existence of an observatory·computer.· Simply connect it to the telescope's RS-232 interface and the dome motors and electronics.

Many other brands of GOTO telescopes support Meade's LX200 commands so the completed project should have wide appeal.

I will need to wait until any current computer command and the telescope response is complete before I insert an Alt-Az query to the scope and then buffer any computer commands until I have the scope's Alt-Az response.

The format of the Alt-Az query commands·are:

Command·· "#:GZ#"
··· Returns "DDD*MM#"
······· Gets the current telescope azimuth in degrees and minutes.

Command·· "#:GA#"
··· Returns "sDD*MM#"
······· Gets the current telescope altitude in degrees and minutes.

"*" character above is ASCI character 223 (degrees symbol)
"s" character represents the numerical sign (+ or -) symbol.
Quotes used above are not part of the actual·character string.
The·hash and colon·characters "#:" preceed all commands.
The hash character "#"·concludes all commands and replies.

Questions:

1. Can the BS2 keep up with two RS-232 interfaces at 9600 baud and manage to drive the dome around without any external serial data buffers?

2. Is there a better way to approach this project?

3. Am I missing anything?

4. Are there any simple RS-232 buffer chips out there that can be easily interfaced to the BS2, if needed?

If all goes well, I am hoping this is just the first of several BS2 applications·for a home telescope observatory.· Other projects might include dome shutter control, security, weather monitoring/rain detection/cloud detection, pneumatic snow removal·and more!

Any and all assistance and comments will be deeply appreciated!

-Christopher Erickson

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"My advice is free and worth every penny!"

-Christopher Erickson
Anchorage, Alaska
720 x 540 - 49K

Comments

• D FaustD Faust Posts: 608
    edited 2007-10-17 19:14
    I think that you will need a data buffer. One thing. Why do you have to request the Az and Alt from the telescope, doesn't the computer send that info? What if you just put some kind of sensor on the telescope to tell you that info. I don't think that a stamp is fast enough to do what you want, #1. And #2 it won't be able to recieve data and transmit signals at the same time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --DFaust
  • edited 2007-10-17 23:04
    The observatory computer software program receives that data from the scope. The computer software can command the scope to go to particular coordinates and the computer software knows where it /believes/ the scope is pointing but only the scope knows for sure. Add to that the fact that the scope will be tracking the sky and the Alt-Az data will be constantly (but most often slowly) changing.

As the sensors on the mount, that is possible but most large mounts are oriented in RA-DEC and not Alt-Az. That means the axes are oriented to the rotation of the Earth and not the horizon, like the dome. Since the integral scope electronics are already programmed to sort all of that out and can be queried with simple ASCII commands via RS-232, additional encoders or whatever on the mount didn't seem reasonable.

Are there any standard all-in-one RS-232 driver/data buffer chips out there that interface to the BS2 painlessly?

Thanks for responding!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Christopher Erickson
    Anchorage, Alaska
  • D FaustD Faust Posts: 608
    edited 2007-10-18 00:33
    I think that the MAX line of chip might mork.· Do a search for specifics. ("RS-232 TTL"?)· I am fairly certain that a BS2 could not be a "middle man" between the computer and scope.· Thanks for giving me more info.· Maybey somebody with a little more experience can explain the speed issue, and if this is possible at all.

BTW: cool observatory, you building it?· Are the triangle panels of the dome standard features for observatories?·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --DFaust

Post Edited (D Faust) : 10/18/2007 12:37:58 AM GMT
  • edited 2007-10-18 01:16
    Yes, that is my observatory pictured. It is a geodesic dome riding on top of a massive ball bearing made out of plywood and golf balls. The mathematics for the geodesic dome aren't that difficult and there are even some on-line geometry calculators out there. Desert Domes has a very useful site for people interested in geodesic domes.

http://www.desertdomes.com

Here are a bunch of pics of my telescope observatory project:

http://24.237.160.4/files/Astronomy/MyObservatory/index.html

Or you can navigate to that spot from my web page:

http://data-plumber.com

Geodesic domes are just one of a zillion ways to build a home for a telescope. Some people build domes. Some round, some geodesic, some square. Some people build sheds with roll-off roofs. Some people build clamshells.

This has been one heck of a big project!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Christopher Erickson
    Anchorage, Alaska
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2007-10-18 01:44
    That's very cool! You must have great neighbors! [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <FONT>Steve

What's the best thing to do in a lightning storm? "take a one iron out the bag and hold it straight up above your head, even God cant hit a one iron!"
    Lee Travino after the second time being hit by lightning!
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2007-10-18 02:41
    Christopher Erickson--

Everyone certainly knows more about the various Stamp capabilites than do I. However, are you talking about the Stamp having to take action every five seconds, or so, while listening in on the the commands from the PC? If so, my very, very limited understanding of such scenarios is that there isn't much going on and what's going on between the PC and the scope·happens fairly slowly. Is that incorrect?

If I am correct, then even a BS2 should handle what you need to do. However, take a look at the BS2px which is far faster than the BS2. (BS2px = 19,000 instructions per second, BS2 = 4,000 instructions per second.)

All Stamps are extremely limited in their RAM capacities. Plus, without coprocessor help, they have no ability to do anything other than integer math. And, their string handling capability is very limited. (Forget string handling ala VB!)

But, Stamps are fun and cheap. I encourage you to experiment. I would not cheap-shot the microcontroller by trying the BS2. I would start with the BS2px. And, you might think about networked Stamps . . . say, two. One listens--that sounds like the processor intensive part, if there is one at all--and the other inserts your instructions into the data stream when told to do so by the "listener."

Your project is extremely interesting. I hope you post your thoughts and results--should there be any--on this forum.

I will certainly not be offended by others with a more experienced view!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • edited 2007-10-18 03:25
    You are correct.· The typical communications between the scope and the observatory PC is very light and rather slow at 9600 baud.
    I think the integer math issue is not a problem.· I plan to convert the telescope's Degrees and Minutes response to work everything in integer·1.4 "degree units" which gives me a·scale of·to 0-254 to represent the 0-360 degrees of azimuth, which I think is·more than enough accuracy·for good telescope tracking by the dome.· In fact, just view it as two simple counters.· One for the telescope azimuth and the other one for the dome azimuth.· Collect the scope azimuth every 30 seconds or so and move the dome if the difference between the two numbers is over a specified value, maybe like 5.· And then run the motors X seconds for every "degree unit" of difference.· Then collect the new dome azimuth from an external counter and mechanical encoder wheel, compare the two numbers and decide if more movement is required or to go back·to regularly sampling the telescope azimuth.
    I think the only real challenge in·this project is the two serial interface issue and the possible need for·some modest data buffering on·the PC·side!
    Thanks for your thoughts and rest assured that I will post any and all results as I begin physical experimentation.
    -Chris
    Bill Chennault said...

Christopher Erickson--

Everyone certainly knows more about the various Stamp capabilites than do I. However, are you talking about the Stamp having to take action every five seconds, or so, while listening in on the the commands from the PC? If so, my very, very limited understanding of such scenarios is that there isn't much going on and what's going on between the PC and the scope·happens fairly slowly. Is that incorrect?

If I am correct, then even a BS2 should handle what you need to do. However, take a look at the BS2px which is far faster than the BS2. (BS2px = 19,000 instructions per second, BS2 = 4,000 instructions per second.)

All Stamps are extremely limited in their RAM capacities. Plus, without coprocessor help, they have no ability to do anything other than integer math. And, their string handling capability is very limited. (Forget string handling ala VB!)

But, Stamps are fun and cheap. I encourage you to experiment. I would not cheap-shot the microcontroller by trying the BS2. I would start with the BS2px. And, you might think about networked Stamps . . . say, two. One listens--that sounds like the processor intensive part, if there is one at all--and the other inserts your instructions into the data stream when told to do so by the "listener."

Your project is extremely interesting. I hope you post your thoughts and results--should there be any--on this forum.

I will certainly not be offended by others with a more experienced view!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Christopher Erickson
    Anchorage, Alaska
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2007-10-18 05:25
    Looks like a good application for GPS, to get the positioning and for the serial interface.
  • edited 2007-10-18 05:33
    GPS module?

The scope has a built-in GPS and the scope and the PC will both know the current time and Lat/Lon to ten decimal places.· The trick is to keep the dome aperture more or less centered in front of the center line of wherever the telescope optics are currently pointed.· That is, keeping the azimuth of the scope and the dome in synch with each other so the scope can always see the sky and not be blocked by the dome.· If the scope moves to point to a different part of the sky, the dome will soon follow.

I hope that helps to visualize what I am trying to accomplish!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Christopher Erickson
    Anchorage, Alaska
    edited 2007-10-18 06:20
    The scope has gps, add gps to the dome, compare the two frequently for difference and move dome accordingly.
  • edited 2007-10-18 07:20
    Unfortunately that doesn't work.

Both GPS's would always give the same Lat/Lon and time data. What I am trying to do is synch the Azimuth data of the dome with the current Azimuth (pointing direction) of the telescope. GPS's don't collect or present Azimuth data. A magnetic compass module is an Azimuth detecting device but it won't work accurately around the metal in the scope and the metal in the dome. Since the scope already knows its Azimuth to ten decimal places, all I need to do is ask the scope what it's current Azimuth is and then synch the dome Azimuth to it. I think the real trick is in transparently inserting into the serial data stream between the scope and the observatory PC.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Christopher Erickson
    Anchorage, Alaska
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2007-10-18 07:58
    The critical timing for the Stamp will be the response latency:
    Command "#:GZ#"
    Returns "DDD*MM#"

How long a time elapses between the command and the return? It takes a good fracton of a millisecond for the Stamp to turn around from sending a command until it is ready to receive. If the telescope is too fast, data will be lost or garbled and you have to get a faster Stamp or a serial buffer. But the telescope might delay enough, in which case it seems quite doable.

Another issue is that you want both the PC and the Stamp to be able to drive the same command line to the telescope. The two might fight one another. It is possible to make them share the line by a simple hack that involves a couple of diodes and a resistor, a mickey mouse OR gate.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • edited 2007-10-18 08:28
    The Scope has an 68HC11 microcontroller in it that is really busy handling two to four servo motors and a bunch of other stuff in real time. I don't think the RS-232 interface is being driven at any screaming rate by the 68HC11. In fact I believe that I might have well over 100ms between the scope query and response.

As for the two serial outputs into a single input, I was hoping that having the BS2 in the middle, acting as a pass-through device with two serial ports.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Christopher Erickson
    Anchorage, Alaska
  • edited 2007-10-18 08:31
    Here is a bit of detail on the scope electronics and its 68HC11.

http://www.weasner.com/etx/autostar/as_schematic.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Christopher Erickson
    Anchorage, Alaska
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2007-10-18 10:20
    If all you need to do is keep the dome aperture aligned with where the scope is pointing then possibly you are over complicating things. Maybe you just need some way to sense the direction of the scope and send that to the Stamp which would then operate some motors to drive the dome to the correct position. This is something a Stamp could do easily. Rotary encoders and accelerometers come to mind. On the other hand, maybe I am over simplifying the problem [noparse]:)[/noparse]

By the way - very nice project!

I have always been interested in astronomy and space, but unfortunately I live in a second floor apartment so my occasional observing is done with a pair of 7x50 binoculars.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-10-18 14:35
    Well "Eavesdrop" won't work too well. "Recieve and forward in both directions" will work pretty well -- especially if the BS2 is going to be 'querying' the scope position.

Now, we need to know how the BS2 monitors the roof position. If it's supposed to be listening to a position encoder, that can be a problem -- it can't really get counts from the encoder AND get serial data at the same time -- so it may 'lose' the position of the dome, which is no good.

If the signals change slowly enough on the position encoder, though, you can use one of these for a 'real-time clock' to run a PBasic level 'multi-tasking' technique:
    http://www.rhombus-tek.com/co-processors.html

The "simple multi-tasking" chip also has a buffered serial UART reciever in it, which kills two birds with one stone.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2007-10-18 16:46
    The idea of having the BS2 act as a pass-through with two serial ports sounds more complicated to me, both in the hardware and software arenas. Is it necessary? The Stamp would have to stay on top of it to relay all the communications back and forth and it would have to sport two serial ports. If it merely taps into the line, it only takes one serial port and it only has to pay attention to the serial line when it wants to squeeze in its own query.

I had the opportunity to tour the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff earlier this year. The dome of the old original building rolls around on old 1954 Ford truck tires with shiny hubcaps. Apparently they tried a number of schemes including floats before they settled on that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • edited 2007-10-18 17:14
    Sensing the pointing direction of the scope is key.· I have considered IR sensors, IR lasers, tiny mirrors, sensor arrays and a million other things.· The problems with using light is that the telescope and camera are sensitive to all light and especially IR, which will fog any imaging if any of that light gets into the front of the telescope via reflection.· RF isn't directional enough and neither is ultrasonic.· The precise information I need is just sitting there in that serial port on the scope.· All I need to do is to get it out without being intrusive or disruptive to the observatory PC.
    RDL2004 said...
    If all you need to do is keep the dome aperture aligned with where the scope is pointing then possibly you are over complicating things. Maybe you just need some way to sense the direction of the scope and send that to the Stamp which would then operate some motors to drive the dome to the correct position. This is something a Stamp could do easily. Rotary encoders and accelerometers come to mind. On the other hand, maybe I am over simplifying the problem [noparse]:)[/noparse]

By the way - very nice project!

I have always been interested in astronomy and space, but unfortunately I live in a second floor apartment so my occasional observing is done with a pair of 7x50 binoculars.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Christopher Erickson
    Anchorage, Alaska
  • edited 2007-10-18 17:23
    My plan was to use a simple external counter chip, IR LED/photodiode assembly and a rubber wheel to keep track of the dome Azimuth.· There will also be a dome "home position" microswitch for initializing the BS2 and counter chip.

The position sensor will change REAL slowly (by BS2 standards).· I plan to drive the dome with high ratio DC gear head motors.· My goal is for the dome to take about a minute or more for a full 360 degree rotation.· This is for safety reasons as well as for power demand conservation.

That multi-tasking chip sounds real interesting and I will investigate that.· I think that a pair of BS2 compatible buffered UARTS is exactly what I am looking for.
    allanlane5 said...
    Well "Eavesdrop" won't work too well. "Recieve and forward in both directions" will work pretty well -- especially if the BS2 is going to be 'querying' the scope position.

Now, we need to know how the BS2 monitors the roof position. If it's supposed to be listening to a position encoder, that can be a problem -- it can't really get counts from the encoder AND get serial data at the same time -- so it may 'lose' the position of the dome, which is no good.

If the signals change slowly enough on the position encoder, though, you can use one of these for a 'real-time clock' to run a PBasic level 'multi-tasking' technique:
    http://www.rhombus-tek.com/co-processors.html

The "simple multi-tasking" chip also has a buffered serial UART reciever in it, which kills two birds with one stone.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Christopher Erickson
    Anchorage, Alaska
  • edited 2007-10-18 17:30
    I agree that it is more complicated than some other approaches but to me it seems to be the best, most reliable and most accurate approach I can come up with.· Of course all of this would be easy if I chose to use a full-blown 80386sx Single Board·Computer running Linux but I am really hoping that one of the BS2 chip flavors will fill the bill in a really elegant and economical way.

I think it will be way fun to come up with a bunch of different things for a bunch of different stamps to do in a robotic observatory.
    Tracy Allen said...
    The idea of having the BS2 act as a pass-through with two serial ports sounds more complicated to me, both in the hardware and software arenas. Is it necessary? The Stamp would have to stay on top of it to relay all the communications back and forth and it would have to sport two serial ports. If it merely taps into the line, it only takes one serial port and it only has to pay attention to the serial line when it wants to squeeze in its own query.

I had the opportunity to tour the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff earlier this year. The dome of the old original building rolls around on old 1954 Ford truck tires with shiny hubcaps. Apparently they tried a number of schemes including floats before they settled on that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Christopher Erickson
    Anchorage, Alaska
  • MinimumWageMinimumWage Posts: 72
    edited 2007-10-18 17:58
    What about using a stamp and a compass sensor to sense the telescope azimuth, then driving the dome to match using a stepper motor / encoder operation that is pre-calibrated to your local compass directions?

It's like your IR photosensor idea but avoids the potential interference with your CCD imaging, and may be easier than all the serial interfacing...
  • edited 2007-10-18 18:28
    I think there are three challenges with using a compass sensor.

1. Lots of ferrus metal in the telescope, mount and observatory.· And much of it moves around.

2. A telescope using a GEM mount (German Equatorial Mount) has it axes lined up with the Earth's rotational axis, not the horizon.· This means there isn't any place to mount the sensor that will stay level as the scope moves around the sky.··Here is·a picture of a GEM telescope mount to hopefully help explain the challenge.

http://24.237.160.4/files/Astronomy/Mounts/AstroPhysics/slides/APSIDEBEST.html

3. Precision.· The front aperture of my telescope is 16" and the aperture of the 12' dome is 32".· It doesn't take much error before the dome begins obstructing the telescope's view of the sky.
    MinimumWage said...
    What about using a stamp and a compass sensor to sense the telescope azimuth, then driving the dome to match using a stepper motor / encoder operation that is pre-calibrated to your local compass directions?

It's like your IR photosensor idea but avoids the potential interference with your CCD imaging, and may be easier than all the serial interfacing...
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Christopher Erickson
    Anchorage, Alaska
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-10-18 18:37
    If you're using an external counter to get the signal from the encoder, then if you code it correctly the BS2 can 'read' and update it's internal 'model' of where the dome is pointing without getting 'lost' -- so this should work.

I'd be tempted to have one more 'zero' position for the dome. With only one 'zero', you'll have to rotate the dome 360 degrees (worst case) to find the zero position. With a zero degree and 180 degree limit switches, you only have to rotate 180 degrees -- 90 degrees on average.
  • edited 2007-10-18 19:02
    Since the dome is going to have a single "home" position that is ideal for maintenance and access, I figured one microswitch position would be sufficient.
    allanlane5 said...
    If you're using an external counter to get the signal from the encoder, then if you code it correctly the BS2 can 'read' and update it's internal 'model' of where the dome is pointing without getting 'lost' -- so this should work.

I'd be tempted to have one more 'zero' position for the dome. With only one 'zero', you'll have to rotate the dome 360 degrees (worst case) to find the zero position. With a zero degree and 180 degree limit switches, you only have to rotate 180 degrees -- 90 degrees on average.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Christopher Erickson
    Anchorage, Alaska
    edited 2007-10-20 06:27
    I can see where you are coming from, lots of info there being passed to the scope, too bad you can not hack into the encoder or motor control. Anyway, i figured if that does not work out, then there is possibly a sensor that may work. The Cmucam2 has tracking ability that could possibly do the job, but you would be using it in kind of reverse. Instead of the scope following an object, the sensor on the scope would be controlling the dome to move when the scope moves. The idea here is that the Cmucam is mounted to the rotational axis of the scope, being that is what you want to follow. A given colour light ( led ? ) on the inside of the dome, preferably out of ambient lights way, would be the tracking point for the Cmucam to watch for movement. When the scope rotates, the cmucam starts to track the light (object) movement through the servo control, until it is aligned back in the tracking window. Basically, it moves the dome so the tracking light in the dome is lined up with Cmucam on the scope. I have never used a Cmucam, but i have seen video of it in operation, and looks like it *could* work. Anyway, just another idea, not necessarily a solution.
  • edited 2007-10-20 06:30
    That sounds way cool and I'll have to check it out!

-Chris
    kelvin james said...
    I can see where you are coming from, lots of info there being passed to the scope, too bad you can not hack into the encoder or motor control. Anyway, i figured if that does not work out, then there is possibly a sensor that may work. The Cmucam2 has tracking ability that could possibly do the job, but you would be using it in kind of reverse. Instead of the scope following an object, the sensor on the scope would be controlling the dome to move when the scope moves. The idea here is that the Cmucam is mounted to the rotational axis of the scope, being that is what you want to follow. A given colour light ( led ? ) on the inside of the dome, preferably out of ambient lights way, would be the tracking point for the Cmucam to watch for movement. When the scope rotates, the cmucam starts to track the light (object) movement through the servo control, until it is aligned back in the tracking window. Basically, it moves the dome so the tracking light in the dome is lined up with Cmucam on the scope. I have never used a Cmucam, but i have seen video of it in operation, and looks like it *could* work. Anyway, just another idea, not necessarily a solution.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Christopher Erickson
    Anchorage, Alaska
  • ZuzuZuzu Posts: 3
    edited 2007-12-29 03:33
    Why not feed the motion information through a motor mind?

Will run two motors and can wait for a target to be reached (encoder count) and send a signal back when reached. I used it for a precision motion control project...

http://www.solutions-cubed.com/solutions cubed/MM1_2005.htm
  • Desy2820Desy2820 Posts: 138
    edited 2007-12-29 13:28
    I realize that I'm coming in a little late to this thread, but have you considered using an SX-48 with SX/B?· SX/B·is a free, Basic-like programming language.· I'd use an SX-48 proto board, about $10.· The catch is that these chips require a programming tool, the SX-Key at $50·or SX-Blitz at $30.· The differences between them involve the ability to support in-circuit debugging.· Also, it's easy to damage these tools if you aren't paying attention when connecting them.

I suggested the SX-48 because it has two hardware timers, one can be used for your encoder and the other for generating the motor pulses if needed.· I would also plan on adding two MAX232 type·chips for the serial ports, plus·needed support components.

SX-48 Proto Board:· http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/SXDevelopmentBoards/tabid/141/CategoryID/54/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/362/Default.aspx

SX-Key:· http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/SXTools/tabid/139/CategoryID/16/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/369/Default.aspx

Unfortunately, I don't have any direct experience with the SX,· but it's on my wish list!

I hope this helps.
  • EWo_GeEWo_Ge Posts: 20
    edited 2007-12-29 20:06
    I just stumbled over this thread and even if it's already a little older, I would like share my opinion about it:
    In the posts above I see a tendency to over-engineer the whole thing. I hope nobody takes offense in that! I'm not an astronomer and I hope, I interpret the requirements right here.
    You have the telescope pointed at an object in the sky and you want the slot of the dome to be more or less accurate centered to the scope?
    I see there a different approach to the whole thing. I would not try to listen to the serial link, interpret that and then turn the dome to an absolute position...
    How about that: have a laser pointer fixed to the rotating base of the telescope. Below the slot in your dome, you have three photo transistors: one right in the center, one left, one right of it.
    When you start, the dome is in a undefined position to the scope and start to turn in one direction with full speed. It will reach one of the side sensors and your BS will switch the drive to slow motion until the the sensor in the center is reached... stop! From now on, as soon your telescope moves, the laser beam will leave the sensor in the center and hit the one left or right of it. This triggers again the motor to follow left or right until the center is triggered again and stops the drive.
    With this you can reach always a defined relative position of the dome to the telescope.
    If you want to do this project for the learning experience, how to deal with a serial port, how to count pulses etc. go for the way above...
    If you want something working reliable with less parts, easy handling: KISSS (Keep It Simple, Square, Symetric)

Good luck and keep us posted about you progress!

EWo
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2007-12-30 01:56
    EWo--

I hope he sees your post. Your idea sounds very simple and extremely elegant.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.