Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller & TLC5940 help needed - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller & TLC5940 help needed

2»

Comments

• Areal PersonAreal Person Posts: 197
    edited 2007-10-05 01:13
    I got to multiplex them, I can control 256 LED's with just two TLC's. (16x16) 1 TLC is for ROW addr, & 1 TLC is for COL addr

Only one LED is ever on at a time over a 1sq. ft. area @ 72 Hz (768 LED's total on a 19mm DOT pitch matrix) 3 TLC's per sq. ft.

-Areal

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I have a tree growing out of my head, but

what do you expect ? I'm a programmer.
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2007-10-05 01:25
    Great Areal !!!!! You got it !!!
    Sorry I was out all day today...and tomorrow and so on, again. So I can read the forum in nights.

You need to read very carrefully the datasheet of the TLC (like Fred said you before), also take a look at the schematic of the TLC evaluation board.

You also need to understand my TLC's code...it is not difficult to understand what I did there...then, you will know ..How I'm controlling it.

Data is sent in serial mode to the first TLC, then the next TLC's will be recieving the data while you continue to sending data to the first TLC.

I used GSCLK, XLAT, and BLANK in parallel for all the TLC's, I also used one TLC for R, one for G, and one for B, and the next three, and the next, and so on... you can use maximun 40 TLC in cascade mode, therefore 120 TLC's for the complete RGB in 16*40 RGB pixeles.

I suggest you to think before dream in all this... in consider strongly the final speed of the data that you'll send to the TLC's....maybe one propeller will not be able to controll such quantity of TLC's, and you also must consider, that 40 TLC's in serial mode, will take a very long wire distances between the first and the 40th, to connect them without any special care in that.

I insist ...read very good my code...so you'll be able then, to modify this, or "improve" as you want, and after that, also take more controll of the situation, and for the futures "oops" in your mind.

Hum...you're thinking in multiplexing LED's...I never thought in that...I'm not sure if it will work corectly for the screen, in RGB grayscale mode.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.

Envio editado por (BTX) : 10/5/2007 1:30:07 AM GMT
  • Areal PersonAreal Person Posts: 197
    edited 2007-10-05 02:08
    Hi Alberto !

Your the man [noparse]:)[/noparse] Ok... I'm gonna do all that you said. I will read again carfully all the datasheets and you code I will study much more.
    I think I will now be able to complete this phase. My LED PCB's should be in from Hong Kong next week, I will flash them on the forum
    for all to see :0

I got do do a Propeller PCB driver board design now with the TLC's

The current idea is that each Propeller chip will manage only 3 multiplextd TLC's (1sq. ft. view panel with 768 LED's / 3 (R,G,B) @ 19mm dot pitch)
    I'm also thinking of maybe trying a LM317 as a current regulator so I can ramp up the voltage for just the LED's. I've got to get the brightness level up.

All this is just to control the led's with flashing patterns, there are no image, video or memory circuits currently designed.

However, kinda like you, I'm going to need to parrellel chain these Propeller driver boards, each will communicate from a master controller (not designed yet)
    so that the workload across the whole display is coorprative processing at the 1ft. sq. level.

so If I can do 1sq. ft. then I can do 1 million sq. ft. with the proper distrubution of controler points.

However, I'm not doing a curtin, I'm doing the 1sq. ft. Matrix Panels, they are a PCB that sits into 1/4" Black acrylic panels that have been drilled
    768 holes for the led's, there's also alumnum frameworking that they snap into.

Thank you sooo... much for the help ! Good luck on your project!
    -Areal

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I have a tree growing out of my head, but

what do you expect ? I'm a programmer.