Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Tiny new OLED display from 4D Systems - WITH A TWIST! - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Tiny new OLED display from 4D Systems - WITH A TWIST!

124»

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-10-28 23:58
    A couple of thoughts:
    1) You could indeed use the 2 transistor programming circuit shown in the link from the main Propeller page and on the datasheet. The uOLED-96-Prop just brings the RESn pin and I/O pins 30/31 to the connector.

2) You could hook up a keyboard to the device any way you want given that there are four uncommitted I/O pins (18-21) available other than the I/O pins 30/31. You could do a PS/2 keyboard interface with two of those pins and a couple of resistors.
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2007-10-29 01:00
    Mike Green said...
    Paul,
    You might consider a general purpose fill routine that can be given any point on the screen and will fill the enclosed space (enclosed by other colors) with a new color. The trick is to allow for slight gaps in the boundary ... you don't want the fill color to "escape" and fill the entire screen.

Mike,

There is a built in "FILL" primitive, but I believe it only works with the built in graphic primitives (i.e. RECTANGLE).

In order to create "Filled" circles, I am calling the LINE method using the circle center and parameters as endpoints {{Thanks to Duffer for the hint}}.

I will think about your suggestion, but right now it overwhelms me because my mind keeps saying "how do you keep it captive"....

I have the new and improved code for Circle (with FILL) and Arc (with a "Pie" parameter) just about done - I'm watching it run as I type..

Paul
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,255
    edited 2007-10-29 03:20
    After reading Atilla's reply, I am now really impressed(I read it for the first time tonight, and I was guessing). I hope we start seeing other m44 designs hit the 128MHz mark and be fully functional with tv and VGA, etc.
    Anybody tried TV out of this thing yet? Not really enough pins to get VGA unless someone has a really steady hand to solder on some leads.

I hope that other designs come with bigger screens and more pins brought out. I know Atilla said otherwise, but maybe they can be convinced with lots of sales of this one;^)

Doug

Post Edited (hinv) : 10/29/2007 3:29:40 AM GMT
  • bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2007-10-29 04:31
    hinv, you should be able to broadcast tv to say channel 3...
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-10-29 19:16
    (they're here)

PEKit Breadboard speak: it takes just two wires to get this going. Put the board so the sd card slot is available on the left side of the breadboard. Run a hot from the first power chip (LM2940 - 5.0 on the pe kit chart, pin k3) Connect that to the topmost pin of the 96-prop. Connect a ground to the fourth pin. Bask in the glow.

I can confirm that
    1) it doesn't work when you put the ground on pin 5.
    2) it doesn't seem have hurt it any.
    edited 2007-10-30 01:35
    Fred Hawkins said...
    (they're here)

PEKit Breadboard speak: it takes just two wires to get this going. Put the board so the sd card slot is available on the left side of the breadboard. Run a hot from the first power chip (LM2940 - 5.0 on the pe kit chart, pin k3) Connect that to the topmost pin of the 96-prop. Connect a ground to the fourth pin. Bask in the glow.

I can confirm that
    1) it doesn't work when you put the ground on pin 5.
    2) it doesn't seem have hurt it any.

Actually, I believe you need 3 (TX, RX, RES) or it won't be seen by the PropTool.

Attached is a picture of very portable uOLED-96-Prop development platform!

A couple of SparkFun boards I had in my goodies box (USB and 5V Supply) and the 96-Prop. The 4 pin plug below the display is for the USB2SER if I want the real estate back that the SP USB board uses. I just bring the board, brick, and flash disk and I'm banging away.

Sort of a sickness, I guess..

Post Edited (Paul Sr.) : 10/30/2007 1:44:58 AM GMT
    640 x 480 - 24K
  • JMLStamp2pJMLStamp2p Posts: 259
    edited 2007-10-30 02:59
    These look like great displays guys, thanks for the info I am going to buy a couple this week and get my feet wet. Do you know someone that is working on graphics "Objects" for the Prop-96. I will look through the object exchange also.

JMLStamp2p
    edited 2007-10-30 03:41
    There is a uOLED-96-Prop driver (and demo program) that's downloadable from 4D Systems' web page. There's also a version of FemtoBasic that has statements to drive the uOLED-96-Prop display and can use a uSD card for program and data storage (downloadable from the Object Exchange).
  • Adoy EsiwAdoy Esiw Posts: 10
    edited 2007-10-30 05:29
    128 MHz Propeller 96·portable development system with OLED screen and SD card.

USB Powered

6 General Purpose I/O pins 18,19,20,21 (30,31 when not programming)

+5V, +3.3V, GND

Breadboard area

Adoy Esiw

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    One's true identity can only be learned through reflection.
    448 x 336 - 92K
    374 x 336 - 25K
    315 x 448 - 28K
    317 x 448 - 29K
    343 x 336 - 27K
    edited 2007-10-30 10:37
    Pretty slick, Adoy - I like it!
  • Aaron193Aaron193 Posts: 27
    edited 2007-12-06 23:05
    Hey, All--

I am pretty much a total dunce when it comes to computers (yet, ironically, I am very interested in them). Firstly, does anyone know what pins connect to the MicroSD card slot? Secondly, are there any Propeller objects already loaded onto the Propeller Tool? (I have no idea how SD or MicroSD memory cards work in the first place, so I need a foolproof way to interface with this stuff). Lastly, how hard would it be to read from the memory card's FAT32 Filesystem and automatically read bitmaps and/or play AVI movies (assuming that I have some programming experience, but not a good knowledge of hardware)?

I'd appreciate your help!
    edited 2007-12-07 00:06
    The microSD card slot is connected internally. The connections are not brought out to pins.

Download the uOLED-96-Basic from the Propeller Object Exchange. This will get you started.
    It has support for root directory files on a microSD card for saving Basic programs and for
    executing programs written in Spin. It also has support for simple display I/O.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-12-07 00:54
    I think he may be asking which pins of the Propeller are connected to the uSD. And I believe 4D has a schematic for the OLED-96 Prop availible on thier website.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,363
    edited 2007-12-07 01:45
    Uh, I think we only have code to access a FAT16 formatted SD card. You may be able to show a bitmap on the OLED screen, but AVI is just a container for almost anything... If you encoded at the OLED screen size, uncompressed, you might be able to do it... But, I think this would be a lot of work...
  • Aaron193Aaron193 Posts: 27
    edited 2007-12-10 22:15
    What exactly do you mean "a container for almost anything"? Do you mean that anything can be named as ".avi" or that ".avi" files can contain a series of bitmaps, JPEGs, etc...?

Are you also saying that the ".avi" file has to be encoded/recorded in a special way?
    edited 2007-12-10 22:23
    An AVI file is a container for all sorts of things like bitmaps, JPG images, video in different formats. Each piece in an AVI is marked with a tag giving its type. Do a web search for "wiki avi" for a discussion and description. Yeah again for the Wikipedia!
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2007-12-21 10:39
    I scanned through most of the thread here. It looks like there is a lot of history discussing this cool little device. I am looking for a datasheet for the screen. I hadn't seen one posted on the forum or on the websites for the product. Any one have a datasheet or know the controller in the OLD itself?

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com
    One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode
  • Mik_uOLEDMik_uOLED Posts: 7
    edited 2008-09-26 23:30
    A true story about uOLED-96-Prop

Hi! Guys!

I bought recently a uOLED-96-Prop. I was very happy to watch this amazing thing working just right out the box after connect it to supply (5volts to pin 1, ground to pin 4). I really took care of the module and I followed carefully the connection diagram because I wanted to avoid every bad connection. I wanted to change the DEMO program just a bit to test if I can really control the module (I changed the character 4 of "4D System" to a 5 in the DEMO program) , but the really first time I uploaded the DEMO program to the propeller chip of the uOLED, the screen became black and everything stop working, never run again.

I used the Prop Plug with a USB connection as directed to interface the uOLED with the PC and I used the Propeller Tool v1.2 with Windows XP Pro SP2 to transfer the DEMO program. The Propeller Tool still recognises the propeller chip on the board and makes the program DEMO transfer to the EEPROM without detecting any error every time I push the F11 key, but nothing happen to the screen. It is like the Propeller Tool works but tranfers some garbage into the uOLED's propeller, or, the screen is really dead without any obvious reason after the really first upload procedure.

My questions are:

1- I know that the uOLED can be damaged by a faultly shut down procedure. Do you think it is a bad luck and this is what happened to my uOLED (I hope no)?

2- Is there something to do to make this amazing screen back to life again (I hope yes)?

3- If the screen is really dead, can I change something in the procedure I did to avoid that it would happen again with another uOLED since when the DEMO program starts, there is nothing else to do then make a deconnection from the supply to stop the uOLED (I don't see any change)?

Thank you very much!

Mik_uOLED
    edited 2008-09-26 23:52
    The new units have a 10MHz crystal! You should be careful that your code isn't set for 8MHz (like the original units).
    CON
    _CLKMODE = XTAL1 + PLL16X <--- Change this to PLL8X
    _XINFREQ = 8_000_000 <
    Change this to 10_000_000 if you have a new unit.

Post Edited (Rayman) : 9/27/2008 12:31:51 AM GMT
    edited 2008-09-26 23:56
    A true story about uOLED-96-Prop

Hi! Guys!

I bought recently a uOLED-96-Prop. I was very happy to watch this amazing thing working just right out the box after connect it to supply (5volts to pin 1, ground to pin 4). I really took care of the module and I followed carefully the connection diagram because I wanted to avoid every bad connection. I wanted to change the DEMO program just a bit to test if I can really control the module (I changed the character 4 of "4D System" to a 5 in the DEMO program) , but the really first time I uploaded the DEMO program to the propeller chip of the uOLED, the screen became black and everything stop working, never run again.

I used the Prop Plug with a USB connection as directed to interface the uOLED with the PC and I used the Propeller Tool v1.2 with Windows XP Pro SP2 to transfer the DEMO program. The Propeller Tool still recognises the propeller chip on the board and makes the program DEMO transfer to the EEPROM without detecting any error every time I push the F11 key, but nothing happen to the screen. It is like the Propeller Tool works but tranfers some garbage into the uOLED's propeller, or, the screen is really dead without any obvious reason after the really first upload procedure.

My questions are:

1- I know that the uOLED can be damaged by a faultly shut down procedure. Do you think it is a bad luck and this is what happened to my uOLED (I hope no)?

2- Is there something to do to make this amazing screen back to life again (I hope yes)?

3- If the screen is really dead, can I change something in the procedure I did to avoid that it would happen again with another uOLED since when the DEMO program starts, there is nothing else to do then make a deconnection from the supply to stop the uOLED (I don't see any change)?

Thank you very much!

Mik_uOLED
    edited 2008-09-27 00:01
    I think the uOLED display can be damaged over a long time with repeated "faulty" shutdowns. I don't know for certain, but it sounds like we're talking about thousands of times, not what you'd normally get with programming and debugging.

Try downloading uOLED-96-Prop Basic from the Propeller Object Exchange. This is a version of FemtoBasic (a simple Basic interpreter) with special statements added to access the display. It comes with a Basic version of the same demo program that comes with the device. If the Propeller Tool can download programs to the device, at least that part of it is working properly. If you can't get uOLED-96-Prop Basic to work contact whoever you bought the device from. If you bought it from Parallax, call their customer support department on Monday. They may be able to help you sort things out or they'll replace or repair the unit.

If you have a 10MHz crystal in your unit, you'll have to change the _xinfreq= and _clkmode= lines in the Basic source.

The 8_000_000 gets changed to 10_000_000 and the pll16x gets changed to pll8x (unless it's already pll8x), then recompile it before downloading.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 9/27/2008 12:07:13 AM GMT
    edited 2008-09-27 00:15
    Thanks Rayman for the help!

I made the change you told me in the DEMO program (_XINFREQ was set to 8_000_000 and I changed to 10_000_000) but after a succesfully new upload, the screen is still black.
    Is it look bad?

Thanks anyway!

Mik_uOLED
    edited 2008-09-27 00:28
    As Mike points out, you also need to change PLL from 16X to 8X...

PS:· I have a driver code here:
    http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/3rdPartyHardware/uOLED-96-Prop/RS232Driver.htm

Post Edited (Rayman) : 9/27/2008 12:34:32 AM GMT
    edited 2008-09-27 00:33
    Thank you very much Mr Green!

You solved my problem and my screen came back to life!
    The solution was exactly that: The 8_000_000 gets changed to 10_000_000 AND THE PLL16X gets changed to PLL8X!

You made at least a guy (me) really happy today!

Thanks a lot!

Mik_OLED
    edited 2008-09-27 01:10
    Thank you too Rayman!

Since my uOLED is ready for action, the real fun is beginning and I expect hours of pleasure with the programs from the link you shared to me!

Thank you very much!

Mik_uOLED
  • Sniper KingSniper King Posts: 221
    edited 2008-09-28 01:27
    I picked one up by accident! I was wondering what to do with it until I accidentally dropped my Soligor 1 percent spot meter. In trying to fix it I saw that the space in there where the meter goes would hold the OLED-96-Prop! Hmmm i thought. With the propeller onboard already, a capacitor, a 5v VR. I could do a simple RC time circuit and display the same stuff the meter showed. Or maybe a simple voltage divider with a 12 bit A/D... I think that would be cool. I'll post it when i actually get it done.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·- Ouch, thats not suppose to be hot!··

Michael King
    Application Engineer
    R&D

Check out Project: PSAV Persistent Sailing Autonomous Vehicle