Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Tiny new OLED display from 4D Systems - WITH A TWIST! — Parallax Forums

Tiny new OLED display from 4D Systems - WITH A TWIST!

DufferDuffer Posts: 374
edited 2008-09-28 01:27 in Propeller 1
4D Systems in Australia has just introduced a tiny new 65K color Organic LED display. It’s just 32.7 mm X 23 mm X 5.2 mm (including the mounting tabs). For those of you that were out sick the day they taught the metric system in school, that’s just a teeny bit bigger than a first class postage stamp (actual size 1.289” X .913” X .200&#8221[noparse];)[/noparse]. Trust me, it’s small and it’s thin!
The display resolution is 96 X 64 pixels of bright and beautiful 65K colors.

Normally I would not post something like this to the Propeller section and before the Moderators decide to move this to the Sandbox, There’s something I didn’t mention about this little display.

It’s a Propeller!···· It’s the uOLED-96-PROP!

The display is controlled by a zero-footprint Propeller Chip and also includes a zero-footprint uSD card socket (up to 2GB of on-board storage).

What does this mean? It means:

A full Propeller development system:

Propeller chip, EEPROM, 8 MHz crystal, voltage regulator, programming interface, 4 GP I/O & dedicated Rx & Tx pins available for anything a regular Prop board can do.
An integrated uSD card socket and, oh yes,
a beautiful little color uOLED display!

All in a package that you could lose on your workbench amid the clutter if you’re not careful (Trust me, it happens).

The Propeller chip is connected directly to the display controller and commands the display with simple-to-use and understand Method calls contained in a Propeller Object. NO SERIAL COMMS REQUIRED (or any other comms for that matter). 4D Systems has provided a prototype Propeller Object (and Demo) that contains the initialization routines (the hard part) and graphics primitives (not so hard) in the form of methods that you can use to control the display directly or to build more complex methods (easy).

The code in the uOLED-96-PROP Object is analogous to the proprietary PmmC code used with the 4D Labs GOLDELOX and PICASO micro controllers embedded on the other uOLED and uLCD displays from 4D Systems (uOLED-96-G1, uOLED-128-GMD1, uOLED-160-GMD1, uLCD-320-PMD2, etc.).

In fact, the soon to be announced uOLED-96-G1, is the same display (also with a uSD socket) driven by an embedded 4D Labs GOLDELOX micro controller loaded with a serial interface PmmC (the display is controlled using serial commands sent to the display from a host computer or micro controller).

And......

I would like to mention another new product from 4D Systems that was developed as an optional accessory for the uOLED-96-PROP. It’s the uUSB-CE5. This product was designed from the ground up to be the PERFECT companion to the uOLED-96-PROP display. It's small, it's cute and there's not a bit of wasted space or materials. It was designed not only with the uOLED-96-PROP display in mind, but also its user.

The CE5 can be used to program the embedded Propeller chip on the display, load images onto the uSD card using the 4D Graphics Composer and power the display to run the Propeller programs from any USB port. And you don't need a special cable either, you can use a standard USB A male to A female extension cable or you can plug it directly into a USB port on a PC or USB hub.

If you're already a Propeller user, then you probably already have a Prop Plug or Prop Clip. The CE5 uses the same USB to serial chip so the drivers you need are already installed. As a bonus, there is an alternate interface pin configuration on the "bottom" of the CE5 PCB. If you look at the pinout, you'll see that it looks suspiciously like the 4 pin interface for the Propeller, plus a 5th pin that brings +5V to your projects. Simply solder a second 5 pin female header on the bottom of the board (there is room for two headers, by design) and you have a dual purpose USB to serial bridge for less than either of the previous offerings from 4D or Parallax.

More details, documentation and images available at:··· http://www.4dsystems.com.au

Steve

P.S. The coin sitting under the display in the first image is about the size of a US Quarter and a little thicker. "unfolded" image shows the location of the Prop chip before the display is folded over (Prop chip not visible on finished display).

Post Edited (Duffer) : 9/30/2007 5:55:22 AM GMT
770 x 447 - 193K
861 x 669 - 86K
771 x 524 - 62K
344 x 97 - 7K

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-09-30 06:32
    Duffer, thank you for this great ad! Judging from your style you have lately changed to the marketing department? Just kiddin...

As I understand the Prop controls the display the way Goldilock and Picasso do, i.e. there must be a lot of code already needed for the "regular" operation. What exactly is left for the programmer? You mention 4 free pins e.g. .....

You also mention a controller object for the display.

I should imagine 4D's propriatery software (a binary?) consists of 4+ objects:
    - displayControl
    - serialControl
    - microCardControl
    - main (quite large...)

What of this is open to the customer? Free or on charge?

Edit: Looking at the third image: It seems they swapped GND and RESET at their plug... But the drawing (4.) looks more correct...
    Removed some typos

Post Edited (deSilva) : 9/30/2007 9:17:13 PM GMT
  • DufferDuffer Posts: 374
    edited 2007-09-30 07:28
    Where to start?

I'll·answer in reverse order if you don't mind.

The problem may be with the image. The CE5 works perfectly. As a matter of fact, I have one hooked to a Prop Proto board (using the "bottom", alternate interface)·as I type and it's running fine.

There are two seperate 5 pin interfaces on the CE5. One is the 4D interface (solder pads·on the "top" of the board)·which is a 5 pin extension of their 4 pin interface that has been in use with their products for a number of years. The 5th pin was added to the existing interface for the reset of the GOLDELOX and PICASO modules while making it possible to use with the "legacy" 4 pin interface products (the 4 pin uUSB-MB is no longer produced by 4D). The "alternate" interface was provided as a bonus for Prop users (solder pads·on the "bottom" of the board).

What is open to the customer is EVERYTHING and it's free.

Having said·"everything", I must say that your "imagining" is very far off (using deSilva style heresmile.gif . The prototype object is so small and so simple that you will be embarrassed when you see it.·Nearly everything is left for the Propeller programmer. When controlling the display (with Propeller code - No 4D propriatary code is needed or supplied), you are writing data directly to the display's IC controller hardware·registers. You can't get any closer to the hardware than that. No intermediate code or binaries are required. Just the Prop talking directly to the display HARDWARE.

The lack of "free" I/O pins results from most of the Prop pins being tied directly to the display hardware controller and the uSD card socket. The documentation contains a Reference Design schematic of all pinouts for the Prop, uSD socket and Display hardware IC.

Kid all you want. I've been having a great time working with the people at 4D Systems while this project has been underway. Now that the product is available, I'm a little excited.

I must tell you that some of the comments that you (and others) have·made on this forum helped to convince the people at 4D systems that there was a market for exactly this type of product. A product that wasn't "already finished" when you got it, one that lets YOU decide what it's going to be and what it's going to do.

I hope you enjoy it and I look forward with great anticipation to see where the Propeller community takes this product and others like it.

Regards,· Steve

Post Edited (Duffer) : 9/30/2007 8:01:38 AM GMT
    edited 2007-09-30 08:11
    I had a look into the manual in the meantime, and it looks great!
    Next step is to order one.. will not be easy :-( Let's see how long it will take; Australia is not just around the corner..

I think the pixel count is extremely well aligned to the Prop's capabilities. This can give rise to inspiring grafic applications, where people are not always asking: "What is wrong with your monitor? But look at the funny resolution!" smile.gif

Input....just BTW... I think IR-RC will be perfect for such a tiny device. Some space for a IR diode somewhere?
    edited 2007-09-30 09:47
    deSilva,

A·tiny carrier/piggy-back board would work nicely. I've built several using different headers (straight, right-angle, etc.) to·orient the display for different projects. Also gives a place to mount such things as IR emitters, IR detectors, LEDs, etc. One good thing to put on the piggy-back board is a reset switch (taking the RESET line low resets the Prop and the display).

RE: Sources for the new 96-PROP display. I don't knoe your location, but at least one US distributor and I believe one in Spain (new distributor, just coming up to speed, but very familiar with the 4D products)·should have stock in less than two weeks. I know Dontronics will have stock soonest due to his close proximity to 4D Systems.

Glad to see that you find the little display "worthy" after reading the User Guide. smilewinkgrin.gif

Steve
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-09-30 10:02
    I saw that on their website the other day. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I think I'll have to place an order one of these days.
    edited 2007-09-30 10:04
    I looked through 4D's announced distributors and found none with a "full product line", not to speak of the OLED-Prop smile.gif
    I am just trying to interest a good Parallax distributer in Swizzerland (www.zerko.ch)
    Spain: That could be E-Pulse... The link leads to a forum....
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2007-09-30 17:30
    looks cute. :-)
    does the Prop-Plug fit on this?
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=32201
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-09-30 18:21
    Steve,
    two questions: How many cogs are used in handling the display (or put another way, how many cogs can we use for our own purposes)?

Second, the schematic seems to show four or five i/o·pins that are not brought out of the prop.·Am I mistaken?

Fred

ps, nice package -- display and sd card bundle -- at an attractive price. Kudos to 4au.
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2007-09-30 18:29
    http://www.bricogeek.com/

Google Automatically translated text:

4D Systems makes all type of embedidos modules such as screens YOU SMELL, LCD and also specific devices for exits VGA.

Here, in BricoGeek, we have the pleasure of anunciaros that we are the official distributor for Spain of these products!

New store Online
    We are preparing a store online where podreis to buy anyone of products of this manufacturer located in Autralia.

In few days, we will have our updated Web, so kind!
    edited 2007-09-30 18:48
    So it smells smile.gif
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2007-09-30 19:12
    I can't get into http://www.4dsystems.com.au
    Is there some problem with the server ??

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
    edited 2007-09-30 19:16
    BTX said...
    I can't get into http://www.4dsystems.com.au
    Is there some problem with the server ??
    No, works fine from Germany!
    edited 2007-09-30 20:39
    Fred,

The uOLED-96-PROP is just hardware. It's up to you to do what you want with it. The display Object that comes pre-loaded, is just for the user's convience (and to test the displays before they're shipped). That same prototype Object is supplied (along with a demo) as source so that the user can start experimenting "out-of-the-box". Users are encouraged to modify and extend the Propeller Object prototype for their own purposes and to write code to call the methods in that Object for their projects.

It might help to imagine a Prop Proto board, a parallel interface OLED display and a SD socket all wired up and ready to start writing Spin/Asm code (then shrink it all down to sit on a Quarter). The prototype Object is provided to help with the really hard part of interfacing devices like a display, the device initialization (the INIT Method of the supplied Object takes care of that) and a few graphics primitive methods·to help you understand how to "talk" to the screen hardware.

After that, it's up to the user to take the "package" where they will.

As an example, there are i2C objects in the Propeller exchange for accessing an SD card. Why not try one of those to access the uSD card on the display?

Keep in mind that the device, although packaged on a display screen, is still a full-blown Propeller development system, no less so than any other development board that uses a Propeller chip. It's just "packaged" a little differently than you're used to.

Pin availability was limited by the fact that there was only room for a 10 pin header on this tiny package. 5 pins are used by the programming interface (two of which can be used for I/O (Tx-30, Rx-31) when not used for programming the Prop), 4 I/O (18-21) and Vcc.

Steve

Post Edited (Duffer) : 9/30/2007 9:29:45 PM GMT
  • OldGuyOldGuy Posts: 1
    edited 2007-09-30 20:48
    Parallax already offers the μOLED 128 GMD1 maybe they will add the new product?
    edited 2007-09-30 20:52
    They simply MUST smile.gif
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,243
    edited 2007-09-30 21:34
    I like the fact that it can be powered by USB. Anybody seen a price?
    edited 2007-09-30 21:46
    Bob and deSilva,

Clearly, Google doesn't speak Spanish as well as the guys that wrote the text for the bricogeek site. smilewinkgrin.gif· Dang, online translations leave a bit to be desired, but they do provide some light humor.

Steve
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2007-09-30 21:55
    Duffer,

You can win them all. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Pricing : Introductory price USD $79.95 each

Pricing Info from: https://www.littlepcbsolutions.com/uOLED-96-PROP.html

uOLED-96-PROP

Intelligent OLED Display and Controller

Simple 5-pin interface

0.9" (diagonal) 96x64 pixel OLED Screen