Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Temperature range - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Temperature range

2»

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-07-22 20:24
    Gotcha, nothing as exotic as SiC is needed for the Propeller. It's just a well designed chip.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2007-07-23 16:29
    Awesome to know the Prop can handle temperature extremes this well. So, when does the Prop get dunked into liquid nitrogen? If it runs at -196 C that'll be down right cold!

Keep it up,
    Marty Lawson

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Lunch cures all problems! have you had lunch?
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-07-27 16:01
    Just a few questions here Paul,

1) Were the temp. tests done just using the Demo Board - have other package types been tested PDIP etc.

2) As you stated you are using lead free solder - I presume the whole package is RoHS compliant - As solder joint failures are less obvious to spot than those with lead based solder (RoHS and lead free solder joints tend to be duller in appearance) was there any obvious / visible degradation of joints? and if so how did they manifest themselves ?

Just thought I'd ask..

QuattroRS4

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 7/27/2007 4:09:29 PM GMT
    edited 2007-07-27 16:36
    The fitness tests for the packaging was already performed by an independent external entity, including repeated temperature cycling, Pressurized 100% RH air and a few other tests. The die that is in each package is identical, the only difference is the thermal capacity of the package and the required soak time required to ensure Tj reaches Ta.

We do use RoHS compliant processes for all of our products and there were no obvious defects with the solder joints, however as I mentioned before, these tests are not to determine the fitness of our Propeller boards but the Propeller itself.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-07-27 16:42
    Paul Thanks for that - I am aware of the external tests and the fact that the test was purely a propeller test - I was just wondering if 1) Anything showed up running your inhouse temp. extremes tests - that was specific to a package type
    2) While not the purpose of the test - were any solder defects obvious - now answered

Thanks for that.

QuattroRS4

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-07-27 16:50
    No the only potential issue with packaging would be mechanical in nature and were covered by the previous testing. And I have switched all subsequent testing to using a cannabilized protoboards where the EEPROM, pull up resistors, LED, and regulators are removed. The power and clock signal are piped in from external HP equipment to ensure precise testing conditions over the entire range of temperatures. This way the Propeller is issolated and proper current measurements can be made.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-07-27 16:52
    Paul,
    That's great - thanks for taking the time ..

Regards,
    QuattroRS4

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-08-03 18:11
    Paul,

Any Idea when you will publish the official data sheet (V1.0)?· I'm working on an automotive project and the propeller looks like it might be just the thing.

Regards,
    Ken
    edited 2007-08-03 20:16
    I know it's not the answer you are looking for, but when I've completed the measurements and write up. It's not possible to forsee what hurdles I will have to overcome with the testing, so I can't provide a date. But this shouldn't be preventing you from getting started, we will be rating the chip for military temperature range, everything it has been spec'ed at in the preliminary is holding up to our testing over the entire military range thus far and at this point I do not see any reason any of the provided parameters will not hold up.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.