Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Argh! No TV-OUT with the propeller proto board? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Argh! No TV-OUT with the propeller proto board?

2»

Comments

• mirrormirror Posts: 322
    edited 2007-07-06 00:05
    rjo_ said...
    OK... I take it all back... and I'll try it. But every time I reach for my solder gun... I wish someone would come up with a simpler and more idiot proof way to do it...conductive superglue... a little Leggo station with a parts bin[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    rjo, try using solder paste. You dab the past on the board or component, and then you have two hands left over - one to hold the component, and one to hold the solder gun.

I got a 40ml syringe of the stuff a couple of years ago. Transferred about 5ml into a smaller syringe. I'm still using the original 5ml from the smaller syringe - I''ve built probably 15 surface mount boards.

What I do is squeeze the solder past out so that the're a small blob, then I grab the blob with a jewellers screwdriver and smear it on the board or component.

When soldering, surface tension takes over and generally does a good job of cleaning up the mess, so it doesn't matter too much if you scribble outside the lines when using solder paste.

·
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-07-06 02:50
    I recommend sparkfun tutorials on smt soldering. A lot of my questions disappeared in a matter of minutes.

Though this problem (Better Half: you spent money on those little things?) does seem inescapable.