Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Updated: the PropTerminal - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Updated: the PropTerminal

124»

Comments

• AribaAriba Posts: 2,687
    edited 2008-12-10 21:48
    Hello Oldbitcollector

Thank you for the info, good to know, that PureBasic programs work under Linux with Wine.

I have attached a Linux version of PropTerminal. Will you try it out? I had some issues on my Asus EEE with this version, but mostly it works.
    I think you have to copy the attached File into an executable directory and then set the rights for the file so, that it can be executed.
    It needs the GTK 2 library installed (I think also BST needs this, so you should have it already).

Andy
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-12-10 22:10
    It works.. Only difference is that it resets the Propeller when it starts.

BST is able to re-program the Propeller with it open.. (nice!)

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-12-11 05:57
    Oldbitcollector said...

4) I used the following create a new port (COM 5) and map it to /dev/ttyUSB0
    sudo ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyS4
    Running the command from step 2 now shows the symbolic link.

You should be able to make WINE see the port without creating links in /dev/

brad@bkmac:~$ ls .wine/dosdevices/ -l
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 brad brad 10 2008-05-22 12:13 c: -> ../drive_c
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 brad brad 12 2008-05-22 12:17 com1 -> /dev/ttyUSB0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 brad brad 1 2008-05-22 12:13 z: -> /
    brad@bkmac:~$

Any Windows program that uses relatively portable methods of enumerating the ports will be able to see it and use it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cardinal Fang! Fetch the comfy chair.
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-12-11 09:37
    Ariba,

I saw your PropTerminal in action the other day (ErNa introduced me to it) and it is very impressive (and useful!). Now with a Linux version, we are in business wink.gif. The propeller is able to overrun it, maybe his machine was a bit slow. Great piece of work!.
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,751
    edited 2008-12-11 16:03
    Really, it is. Impressive and my machine slow. Just now I'm overhauling the software and soon will contribute some snippets of code. And I'm now setting up a cmap-server, so I hope to document how the code works and how useful a propeller is in a concept map. wink.gif
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-12-11 20:46
    BradC said...
    Oldbitcollector said...

4) I used the following create a new port (COM 5) and map it to /dev/ttyUSB0
    sudo ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyS4
    Running the command from step 2 now shows the symbolic link.

You should be able to make WINE see the port without creating links in /dev/

brad@bkmac:~$ ls .wine/dosdevices/ -l
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 brad brad 10 2008-05-22 12:13 c: -> ../drive_c
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 brad brad 12 2008-05-22 12:17 com1 -> /dev/ttyUSB0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 brad brad 1 2008-05-22 12:13 z: -> /
    brad@bkmac:~$

Any Windows program that uses relatively portable methods of enumerating the ports will be able to see it and use it.

Too Bad PST and Propeller Tool use NT based serial detection or this trick would work with them too..
    Propeller Tool 2.5 almost runs under Wine without serious errors.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • Chuck RiceChuck Rice Posts: 210
    edited 2008-12-11 23:00
    Ariba said...
    I have attached a Linux version of PropTerminal.

Ariba, any chance of a Mac version?

edited 2008-12-12 00:37
    Chuck Rice said...
    Ariba, any chance of a Mac version?

Not in the near future. I have no experience with MacOS and also no access to a MacOS computer.
    There is a PureBasic port for MacOS, but (as I have seen with the Linux version), you can't just take the Windows source code and compile it to a MaOS version.

Andy
  • RvnPhnxRvnPhnx Posts: 36
    edited 2008-12-17 03:04
    Ariba said...
    I have attached a Linux version of PropTerminal. Will you try it out? I had some issues on my Asus EEE with this version, but mostly it works.
    I think you have to copy the attached File into an executable directory and then set the rights for the file so, that it can be executed.
    It needs the GTK 2 library installed (I think also BST needs this, so you should have it already).

Is there some way to get it to use the Parallax.ttf font?
    Also, I notice that when I try to let it auto-switch (giving up the serial port) it starts dumping garbage to the terminal when the local mouse is in the "Term" window. Any ideas about that?

In any case, I've managed to get the other (Win32) one working under Wine, so it isn't a major tragedy to me if the native one acts a little odd from time to time.

Keep up the good work!

--RvnPhnx
    edited 2008-12-17 05:22
    Hello RvnPhnx

Attached is a vector-only Parallax font (without Bitmaps in it), which works on Linux. If you copy it to the /usr/share/fonts directory ( and restart Linux) then PropTerminal should use it for all the missing characters of the default Monospace font (Monospace is still the first used font, because it looks more clear).

The Auto-Switch closes the COM port if the Terminal window is minimized, and opens it again if the window is restored. It seems this reopen produces some problems. But, as Olbitcollector stated, in Linux it is not necessary to close the port if another application uses the same port to program the chip. So you can switch off the Auto feature. (It's possible that I remove that for an official Linux version).

Andy
  • RvnPhnxRvnPhnx Posts: 36
    edited 2008-12-23 01:36
    Ariba said...
    Attached is a vector-only Parallax font (without Bitmaps in it), which works on Linux. If you copy it to the /usr/share/fonts directory ( and restart Linux) then PropTerminal should use it for all the missing characters of the default Monospace font (Monospace is still the first used font, because it looks more clear).
    After looking around to see where you got that thing, I grabbed it from the horse's mouth. It does fix one problem at least--making the program usable for the dscope for instance--the underscore characters had been missing. It still looks funny, but not horribly so. The correct font directory, BTW, is /usr/share/fonts/TTF/ --if you just dump it in /usr/share/fonts/ the X11 tools will not reliably find it.
    Ariba said...
    The Auto-Switch closes the COM port if the Terminal window is minimized, and opens it again if the window is restored. It seems this reopen produces some problems. But, as Olbitcollector stated, in Linux it is not necessary to close the port if another application uses the same port to program the chip. So you can switch off the Auto feature. (It's possible that I remove that for an official Linux version).
    Yes, it is the re-open that doesn't go well--it starts dumping the keyboard and mouse data to the terminal.
    As for the mult-open of the USB-serial port: this only works when at least one of (and possibly) both fail to write or heed lockfiles in /var/lock. Otherwise, single-open is enforced.

See the attached files for the difference in appearance...

Post Edited (RvnPhnx) : 12/23/2008 1:46:28 AM GMT
    344 x 272 - 8K
    344 x 293 - 4K
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-12-25 04:37
    RvnPhnx said...
    After looking around to see where you got that thing, I grabbed it from the horse's mouth. It does fix one problem at least--making the program usable for the dscope for instance--the underscore characters had been missing. It still looks funny, but not horribly so. The correct font directory, BTW, is /usr/share/fonts/TTF/ --if you just dump it in /usr/share/fonts/ the X11 tools will not reliably find it.

No, it's /usr/share/fonts/TTF on *your* particular distribution. The sane place to put it on Ubuntu (for example) is in ~/.fonts or /usr/share/fonts/truetype and I'm positive that varies for different distributions.
    I know for certain the way I had my old Debian systems configured the font server would locate true type fonts in /usr/share/fonts. Its one of those little variables that makes linux fun to configure [noparse];)[/noparse]
    RvnPhnx said...

Yes, it is the re-open that doesn't go well--it starts dumping the keyboard and mouse data to the terminal.

That sounds like something is not re-syncing properly or more likely damaging the tty configuration and putting it in cooked mode.
    RvnPhnx said...

As for the mult-open of the USB-serial port: this only works when at least one of (and possibly) both fail to write or heed lockfiles in /var/lock. Otherwise, single-open is enforced.

A lot of serial comms programs have cmd line options to either remove or ignore the lock files. They tend to be somewhat advisory. If a program really wants exclusive use of the port it needs to open it with a proper (kernel enforced) exclusive lock. It's not hard to do and much safer than relying on a lockfile.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cardinal Fang! Fetch the comfy chair.
  • Eric KueglerEric Kuegler Posts: 8
    edited 2008-12-25 17:22
    Ariba,
    ·
    I’m new to using any terminal programs with the Propeller.
    ·
    This thread has sparked my interest.
    ·
    I downloaded v048 and installed it.· Got up and running.· Used Options> Reset Propeller and it worked.
    ·
    This thread spoke of using terminal program in various ways, and invoking commands etc.
    ·
    1.· Basic question:· is there a manual or text doc describing these commands, etc. and how to use them?·

2.· Also, does an object need to be running to support these command?· If so, is there a list of these objects and source for code for these objects?

3.· Another basic question: Your terminal program pops up a small window (2.4+inches by 3+ inches), I'm running a HP laptop with XP.· Is there a to increase the window size?·
    ·
    There was also a discussion on downloading code to the propeller directly without using the Parallax Propeller IDE.·

I’m writing code using Imagecraft C IDE/Compilier ICCV7PROP, so more than likely there aren’t any C type objects that have been developed.
    ·
    It looks like I may have to develop some C coded functions to get use thermal operation with my programs.
    ·
    Any insight on how to start would be helpful.
    ·
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and all the best,
    ·
    ·
    Eric Kuegler, KC1MB
    Jensen Beach FL USA
    edited 2008-12-25 21:54
    Hello Eric

1) The only description is the readme.txt in the ZIP file (you find it in the first post of this thread).
    2) In this ZIP file you find also some objects which emulates a TV_Text.spin and Keyboard.spin, together with some examples.
    Look also in older versions of the ZIPs, you will find some examples for other features there.
    3) You can increase the size of the window, with the 'rows' and 'cols' parameter in the 'PropTerminal.ini' which you get with 'Save settings'. But the size of the font does not change, you get only more characters. If the fontsize is to small, you have to wait for the next version (0.5), which will have a zoom parameter.

You can download a .binary file with PropTerminal without the IDE (File menu -> Upload File). Such a binary can also be generated with the C compiler. But no special C drivers for the communication with PropTerminal exists so far. A FullDuplexSerial driver is a good start (115200 Baud), but the special features, like Mouse events must then be decoded in the application (if needed).

The newest version you will find always on my Website: www.insonix.ch/propeller

Andy