Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Zed is dead baby ! — Parallax Forums

Zed is dead baby !

TE44TE44 Posts: 42
edited 2007-01-25 17:02 in Propeller 1
I have managed to kill 2 40pin dil props in breadboard - seems strange - even though I had regulators & diodes in reverse across the supply & caps etc (all as recommended and more) they worked fine and programmed ok but when I removed the power and reapplied it the props were dead - each time though I had ascreen attached as per schematics (except for led's and associated resistors) - do the LED's in the schematic play some additional role in dissipating unwanted spikes ? - or is this just a coincidence. Removing power this way (same power supply) using the demo board does not cause any difficulty. Is there some additional 'soft start/stop' circuitry I have missed ? I find this strange as all good practice was followed with respect to power supply stage.

Has anyone else killed a prop for what is an unknown reason (at least unknown for the moment)?

Post Edited (TE44) : 1/24/2007 4:59:50 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-01-24 17:30
    Condolences!

Can you post your schematic? This shouldn't happen. The LEDs are not necessary nor is there any start/stop circuitry required. I'm curious about the extra diodes and where they're connected.

I haven't tried Props in a breadboard other than once on a BS2p40 breadboard just to try it out and not killed one yet. It's kind-of winter here and there's lots of static discharging left and right. I might destroy one that way. I ruined a Palm once with static - oh that was sad.
  • TE44TE44 Posts: 42
    edited 2007-01-24 17:42
    Mike,
    I have had BS2,BS2P40,Javelin Stamps all on bread board before without any issue either.

I will post the schematic soon - must draw it up first.
  • bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2007-01-24 18:16
    If you have too much current used by·any LED's the prop's will not work, try removing any LED's. I had this issue with my first attempt. CHECK THE VOLTAGE. it probaby is just somthing simple like a bad connection, breadboards do not aways get good contact.

Post Edited (bassmaster) : 1/24/2007 6:21:07 PM GMT
    edited 2007-01-24 18:52
    Bassmaster,

··············· All are fine -·they are dead - vdd @ 3.287v - scoped for spikes when pulling supply - nothing appreciable - VSS fine - I killed one for sure - tried a second one with·additional diodes in psu·and repeated power remove & apply after about 3 attempts I successfully (!!?) killed the second one. No loads on the·prop except·vga but that·was checked and triple checked. On my last one now (more·on the way - just in case·!!) but I have the demo board·to play with if I kill that in the meanwhile !

Looking at the·Prop 40 (dil model) I noticed parallax have not shown VSS connected to pin 29

or VDD to pin 32 - even though they are labelled - I have applied vss to pin29 and vdd to pin32 but I don't expect this to be an issue .....

·http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/prop/PropellerHardwareConnections.pdf

also see my supply schematic attached

before I decided to try the second one - I left it on overnight running loops and outputting to the screen - no problems - loading eeproms all fine - when the props died the eeprom was always ok and its off the same supply line ? All anti-static handling was also observed ....

The 3 (resistor oops typo) transistor serial programming circuit was also attached but this was also checked numerous times - and besides it programs the eeprom and prop just fine -·happened both times after power removal·/ power attach - which did it I can't be sure·- just sure it was dead when·I reattached the supply. Prop not hot ,supply good .Over kill with diodes on supply side no inductive loads or loads except·VGA·(checked).

Post Edited (TE44) : 1/24/2007 7:30:12 PM GMT
    edited 2007-01-24 19:08
    sorry to hear that, I coud not kill one even when I pugged it in one row high once.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-01-24 19:08
    Do you have your monitor and your breadboard power supply plugged into the same wall outlet? I think it's pretty telling
    that it dies when you pull and reconnect the power. How are you pulling and reconnecting the power? Do you just pull
    a single wire from the breadboard, or multiple wires? Or are you using a switch of some sort?

Is the bottom of the breadboard still insulated? What sort of work surface are you working on?

Killing a demo board is a pricey proposition! If these questions are too silly, I'm sorry; I don't mean to imply anything.
    It's just the chips seem to be pretty sturdy in my experience, and killing more than one in the same setting really seems
    to imply something's odd in that setting.
    edited 2007-01-24 19:11
    look on the bright side, at least they arent 50 bucks like a stamp!
    edited 2007-01-24 19:26
    rokicki,
    The demo board is fine - same power supply being used - no issues - proper work bench - the 'breadboard' is a plastic device and the bottom is insulated so that is not an issue. Pulling a supply connector - i.e both gnd and Vin pulled together.

It kind of has me baffled at this stage - if you notice the prop supply pdf - I went overboard on diodes just in case - before the second 'killing spree' i disconnected everything - rebuilt ,rechecked modified supply (more diodes) - left running overnight - fine - pulled and applied the supply connector a few times and hey presto !?

Bassmaster,
    You got that one right ! I never managed to kill a stamp though.
    edited 2007-01-24 19:38
    I do not know if it of concern, but I made a prototyping prop-box with a protoboard inside, a big breadboard with 5v and 3.3 on top and vga audio etc ports on the sides, following all the schematics on my breadboard setups, the ony difference is that I use a max 3232 on my breadboards and transistors and resistors for reset, but on my boxed version I use a proppug, built them all the same as the education setup pdf, and I noticed when I kill power with the box, my power led on the front of the box is lit somehow from the propplug even when no power is connected! I know you are not using a propplug, but I need to take my box apart and add a diode because it is somehow powering the prop.

Post Edited (bassmaster) : 1/24/2007 8:07:25 PM GMT
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-01-24 19:48
    I'll admit, I killed 2 Props back in June or so. I had them in a breadboard at the time (this was before I had SpinStudio prototypes done) but I don't think that the fact it was in a breadboard had anything to do with their deaths. Both times it happened, I was plugging it into a TV via the composite video circuit. I double checked that I used the correct resistor values, everything checked out fine.

My theory is.... The TV killed them skull.gif I recently had one of those handheld video games, that are shaped like a joystick, that plugs into the RCA jacks on the TV. One of my children plugged it into the TV without batteries in it once. When they switched it on, the power LED on the game lit dimly even though there were no batteries. Much in the same fashion as a Demo board plugged into a USB port.

I think the problem is/was in my TV, not the circuit, or Propeller attached to it. I never measured what was coming out of the TV's composite input with a multimeter, but I assume nothing should be emanating from that composite jack. Am I wrong?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
    edited 2007-01-24 19:51
    Bassmaster,
    That is interesting - I take it you used the 3 - 5v variant of the MAX232 ? Just wondering about the reset - did you have to use a transistor for that ?
    edited 2007-01-24 19:54
    parts-man73,
    ················ Yeah I was wondeing if there was something similar happening - which is why I referenced the LED's in the initial post. Its bugging me a bit now !

·
    edited 2007-01-24 19:56
    I don't see anything in the power supply that might be a problem.· The diodes to ground don't do anything unless you connect the +3.3V/+5V to some other negative supply.· The input diode does protect against connecting it backwards.

There must be something other than the power supply involved.· If the crystal were broken, the Prop would still talk to·the Prop Tool·since that runs off the internal oscillator.· As was mentioned in another thread, the Prop is a pretty resilient chip.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2007-01-24 19:59
    Hello,

I have a question about how you have the monitor connected. Are you connnecting all the VGA pins up the same as on the demo schematic? The reason I ask is that on your schematic for the power shows the +5V supply as 'not used' and it should go to pin 9 on the VGA connector.

Do you have everything wired up like the demo board or are you doing something else?

One way to troubleshoot this to see if your propellers are in fact truely dead is to get it back down to the most basic propeller circuit. That would just have the propeller, crystal, EEPROM, and your choice of programming adaper, Propclip, homebrew, etc. An easy way to do this (without messing with the rest of your circuit is to get a 40-pin DIP socket, plug the propeller into that, and then bend up all the leads that you are currently running to other devices like your VGA, etc. This will let you open those circuits and remove them as contributing to the problem. You may find that your propellers are fine and something else id causing the trouble.

I had a couple issues getting my propeller up and running (I built a demo board on a protoboard) but most of that was caused by assuming the reset (atn) for programming was like the stamps. I had used a MAX232 circuit. I found that the diode and feedback resistor that normally appear on a stamp circuit prevented the Propeller from being recognized.

Hopefully you'll get yours figured out as well.

Robert
    edited 2007-01-24 20:00
    I use the max3232 for tx and rx but used this diagram for the pin 4 direct reset. I had to pull to 5v though and not tx as tx is 3.3.

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/prop/SerialtoPropeller.pdf
    edited 2007-01-24 20:02
    Mike,
    Yeah - I have read that - crystal is out of the loop as - like you said you could still talk to the prop. if the crystal was iffy but I got no propellor found !
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2007-01-24 20:03
    Does that 3.3v regulator not require a mandatory 10uF on it's output? I have seen those regulators output the full input without having the 10uF on it's output.
    edited 2007-01-24 20:04
    Robotworkshop,
    The 5v is not needed for the VGA - even though its stated - on the schematic - it works fine without it..
    edited 2007-01-24 20:06
    If the reset circuit isn't working, the Prop won't talk to the Propeller Tool. The Prop has to respond within a short period of time to the Propeller Tool (which toggles DTR)·or it won't be recognized.
    edited 2007-01-24 20:10
    originator,
    With/Without a 10uF cap at output stage it wouldn't be responsible for killing the prop - I have had larger caps at output stage also .. just placed a 100uf cap at output stage - no real difference in vdd - increased by .02v
    edited 2007-01-24 20:12
    Mike,
    That seems fine - because when I replaced the chip - it worked fine after - programmed and ran - also tried to swap back - no response - I am afraid they are indeed dead !
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-01-24 20:12
    TE44,

Just out of curiousity, was your PC still connected to your Prop via the three-transistor interface when you turned off the power? If so (and this is a very long shot), with the power disconnected and the PC connected, measure the voltage on Vdd. I ask because, looking at the schematic for the three-transistor circuit, there is at least one weak conduction path with the power off. I can't imagine it causing a problem, but it doesn't hurt to investigate...

-Phil
    edited 2007-01-24 20:21
    Phil,
    Thanks for the reply - but the pc was not connected ...
    edited 2007-01-24 20:27
    Is there a 3v MAX232 based schematic with reset - an approved one ??
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-01-24 20:42
    > With/Without a 10uF cap at output stage it wouldn't be responsible for killing the prop

Well, it shouldn't, but that 10uF is there for regulator *stability*; without it the regulator *might*
    be oscillating. If it is oscillating, it might be providing enough voltage to kill the prop.
    (And your voltmeter is showing an average, so if it is oscillating your voltmeter won't show
    that.)

And of course oscillations are more likely at load changes (when you plug in or remove the
    power). This is one reason it's probably smarter to switch at the input to the regulator, rather
    than the output of the regulator (i.e., pulling the wires from the breadboard).

Actually, is the power circuit on the breadboard itself or external?
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-01-24 20:50
    Check the schematic in the PropSTICK docs here (PDF). It uses the 3.3V-capable MAX3232. (I don't know if it's "approved", but I haven't heard any complaints about it not working.)

-Phil
    edited 2007-01-24 21:12
    alot of it depends on the pc, many laptops and pc's produce > -5v on p4 but some do not, I had to pull to +5v and then to ground with just the right resistance to get it to be a clean 0v when idle, then the·2n3904 was·grnd and res with that as the trigger (with a 1uf cap to pump up the volume for the 2n3904), then it worked with 2 laptops but not a pc, a pc I had to change resistors, very picky! (I could not get it to work with p4 through the max3232)

Post Edited (bassmaster) : 1/24/2007 9:23:39 PM GMT
    edited 2007-01-24 21:21
    1)Vero Boarded it - stripboard - what ever you like to call it - same supply circuit same connections - can't kill it - even flicking the vin on/off numerous times . have to wonder what line being loose in the breadboard kills the prop ?

2) Have parallax an approved max232 based serial programming circuit with reset ?

fyi - measured resistance between ·pin9 and pin29 shows 0.8ohms - so they are connected anyway
    ·······measured resistance between ·pin32 and pin12 shows 0.8ohms - also connected.. so I didn't need
    ······ to include these connections.... I did initially in case there was some other internal requirement.

·······That said·my resistance lead to lead on the meter was 0.1ohm and the prop connections measured
    ······· 0.8ohms - i know it is·negligible but not if there was any internal monitoring ·being taken from·these
    ······· extra·VDD and VSS pins - I would assume though ,if these were anything else·other than·extra VDD &
    ······· VSS pins - they would not be labelled thus. can this be clarified as to why they are not shown on the
    ···· · parallax schematic.·Are they just extra VSS , VDD connections ??

··Phil - your link answered the question - the propstick schematic does indeed show these pins connectted to VSS and VDD respectively - where as the link below does not -

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/prop/PropellerHardwareConnections.pdf

Post Edited (TE44) : 1/24/2007 9:53:42 PM GMT
    edited 2007-01-24 21:45
    rokicki,
    I understand your point -but by its nature if there was fluctuations there should not be any above its zener breach·therefore over voltage would not be an issue .Also you will notice that I scoped the lines and any undue fluctuations would have shown up there - also the fact that there is a cap at the output stage (although small) helps - in actual fact the spec sheet specifies an input capacitor of around 10uF and an output capacitor of 0.1uF - you will notice that the supply would be smooth from the fact that the 7805 has a large electrolytic and a 0.1uF secondary thus ensuring a smooth 5v supply line to 3.3v reg.

Post Edited (TE44) : 1/24/2007 9:50:09 PM GMT
    edited 2007-01-24 21:46
    Phil,
    Thanks for that ... I will have a go at that now ....