sx-b book — Parallax Forums

sx-b book

DGREDGRE Posts: 8
edited 2007-02-09 06:35 in General Discussion
Any plans for an sx-b book ?

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-01-16 21:11
    I know of a couple that are "in-the-works". I don't know any ETA's though.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,942
    edited 2007-01-17 00:02
    I'm working on one now -- don't know if any others are as well.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2007-01-18 20:52
    There are two such books, one from John Kauffman and one from Jon Williams. They're both progressing nicely at this time and we are working with the authors to see that they become available as soon as possible. I relate entirely to the requests for SX/B documentation - I have the same interests as you do so count on us to deliver on your requests.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-01-18 21:56
    How about creating an SX/B version of StampWorks?

Even if you just did an update doc that gave schematics, wiring diagrams, code, and some notes for each project, it would be a good resource. Likewise for the other manuals.
    edited 2007-01-18 22:40
    The SX/B book from Jon Williams has similarities to StampWorks. It includes more basic information about getting started and setup than StampWorks included. The first 10-12 chapters can be completed on an SX-Tech Board or SX Proto Board, but after that you'll need the Professional Devlopment Board to do the next set of projects.

The John Kauffman book is more of a comparison and adaptation of What's a Microcontroller, and is intended to be a part of the Stamps in Class series. There's some similarity in early chapters, but they diverge quite quickly as the individual authoring styles and goals take over the presentation.

I'm already reviewing both of these books and I really like what I see so far. You guys will be very happy! PJV won't be too enthusiastic until we show how to do multi-threading with SX/B, but maybe that will come in the future.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • DigitalDjDigitalDj Posts: 207
    edited 2007-01-21 04:23
    Do like they so graciously told me to do, use the help file!

It's about time that this is going to happen and how long have you been selling the SX?

Greetings!

Kevin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Education And Experience Teaches Knowledge Not Arrogance ! (Unknown)
    The Only Stupid Question Is The One Not Asked ! (Unknown, of coarse this is something that i would say)
    Do Not Burn The Bridge That Has Brought You Forth You May·Need To Journey Back ! (Chinese)

Post Edited (DigitalDj) : 1/21/2007 4:29:55 AM GMT
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-01-21 14:37
    Kevin,
    I agree that it has been a long time coming, but the compiler was changing (growing) by leaps and bounds when it was first released. So it made no sense to create a book that would be obsolete before it was printed.

It's so easy and inexpensive to modify an electronic help file, and so difficult and expensive to revise a printed book.

The latest version has been released longer than any previous version, and it has only be released for 4 months.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2007-01-24 00:52
    Thanks Ken,

I was worried that the SX/B was left to the wayside as the Propellor took center stage.
    I couldn't easily make the leap from BS2 to SX and let things prevent me from conquering!

I'll be looking forward to a good 'how-to' book for the SX (be sure there's some good info on serial interfacing/rs232....I'm lost otherwise! haha)

cheers

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    edited 2007-01-24 01:41
    Steve,

No way. Not a chance. Our product lines run at least 15-20 years as far as we know (BS1 sales are still strong!), so the SX is still young in the scope of our lineup. We don't cast off products and customers easily, especially ones that make up a substantial portion of our revenue. Some products, especially books, take a long time to produce if they're properly designed and written. Even hardware production is a big commitment. A year can pass between product idea and smooth production.

Andy just released another BASIC Stamp book (Smart Sensors) and the Propeller is still young. This business is our hobby, too. Every piece of it is important to us and our customers.

I wish I could post Jon W's and John K's work right here for you to see, because it's really good so far. Just before visiting the forum I was reading our Editor's first draft of Jon's Practical SX/B book, and wow. . . it's clear and easy to follow! Jon did something that's normally quite difficult for him in this book. He brought the reader up to speed with very simple examples.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-01-24 01:46
    Steve,

Yes I agree, learn by example. I also agree on the rs232 interfacing and good examples on all expects of the sx features. There is nothing worse then a book that says here is the line of code or the command and that's it and it's left up to you to figure it out.

Kevin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Only Stupid Question Is The One Not Asked ! (Unknown, of coarse this is something that i would say)
    Do Not Burn The Bridge That Has Brought You Forth You May·Need To Journey Back ! (Chinese)
    edited 2007-01-24 04:21
    Don't worry guys, there's lots of serial projects in the book -- many of them show how to create serial accessory devices compatible with BASIC Stamps or even the Propeller.
    edited 2007-01-24 15:59
    Is this going to be a generalized book for a few different processors? My personal opinion is why screw the book up with irrelevant information for SX users.·I suggest posting some example pages and getting peoples opinions since we are the ones that are going to be using it. Like what was mentioned before that it was felt that the SX was being pushed to the side. Here we are back at the propellor and the BS2 (leave it out) write a propeller and BS2·book. Besides up your revenue with multiple books!

Kevin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (DigitalDj) : 1/24/2007 4:06:09 PM GMT
    edited 2007-01-24 16:17
    Hello Kevin,

This is an SX-specific project book, though one could say it has plenty of general relevance towards programming other 8-bit microcontrollers in BASIC or ASM. Parallax prides itself in training material, as you know. Therefore, I would suggest that because the book focuses on the SX it is not "screwed up".

If the SX is being pushed to the side, we would not continue to invest in tool upgrades, new books, and stress-testing characterizations. If we're giving our customers the feeling that the SX and BS2 are being pushed to the side due to the arrival of the Propeller then we have a serious problem. Our revenue is highly dependent on three unique product lines (Stamp, SX, and Prop), not to mention our loyalty towards our customers demands equal development of these three lines.

I'd love to hear more from you on the subject to understand exactly what you believe in this regard.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-01-24 16:39
    As far as the comment about the SX being pushed to the side was to support a previous post. More than a year to develope a book and the time you have had the processor seems you have let some people down. I am not here to start a big controversy on how you guys run your business but i personally would have made a bigger effort to get·the book·out there. One of the things i would have done was to compile projects and code specifically for the SX so it was more readily downloadable so this would help support the basic compiler(pre book information). Better support on the forums from parallax that people would not have to try and get answers from forum members. They want to be here but some not very willing to help(which i know it is thier choice) but it doesn't support your product. If they are hard core users then they would help out without complaining. Any other forums i have been on there is a brotherhood of support, i have never felt that here! I have seen alot more support and examples with the propeller then i have ever seen for the SX. Maybe i have made the mistake in my choice of a processor line to go with.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-01-24 17:56
    DigitalDj said...
    Is this going to be a generalized book for a few different processors? My personal opinion is why screw the book up with irrelevant information for SX users. I suggest posting some example pages and getting peoples opinions since we are the ones that are going to be using it. Like what was mentioned before that it was felt that the SX was being pushed to the side. Here we are back at the Propeller and the BS2 (leave it out) write a propeller and BS2 book. Besides up your revenue with multiple books!

Kevin

No, I'm only writing about the SX -- specifically, how to program it with high-level SX/B. I will probably include one or two PBASIC examples of how to control an accessory device created in the book (e.g., custom serial LCD). There will only be a tiny bit of assembly, and that's just to show the integration where it's really beneficial (e.g., background serial). My friend, Guenther Dauchbach (who's fantastic contributor in this forum) has already written a great book on assembly language and those that want to learn SX assembly would do well to buy that book.

Please keep in mind that SX/B has always been absolutely FREE, and nobody except Parallax has paid a penny for it. That Parallax is willing to pay authors to create books on the topic is yet another expression of their commitment to customers.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-01-24 23:52
    I worked for several years as a tech writer, and the problem I always ran into is that there was never really an even time distribution for the documentation. At the start of a software project, you can't write much because a) there isn't anything ready to document, and b) what is ready will change as you write.

So you need to find the right balance of productivity between the software development and documentation to keep everything on schedule, and everybody want the docs ready at the same time the software is ready. It just takes time!
    edited 2007-01-25 01:40
    You know what, blah, blah, blah! All i ever here is excuses. I will just go with pic's since there is alot more information and books out there and throw my SX Smile in the trash and mark it up as a bad mistake! That's the real easy way to fix that!

Kevin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2007-01-25 01:49
    Kevin (DigitalDJ),

Sorry to hear you're feeling let down. Of course, if you want to give up on the SX, then it's your choice. I have felt frustrated myself in the past. However, there are a lot of positives to be found here. For example, take a look at how many people have had code fixed and/or written for them by folks on this forum.

Just because a book hasn't been written on SX/B yet doesn't mean it's necessarily time to say goodbye in anger. There may be more stuff on the PIC, but it doesn't mean there's more good stuff.

Walk away for a few days. Give yourself a chance to not feel as frustrated by whatever is bugging you. Of course, as I said, it's your choice to bail permanently if you want. I'm just saying that sometimes it helps to get away for a bit.
      Thanks, PeterM
  • dkemppaidkemppai Posts: 315
    edited 2007-01-25 02:50
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    Hello Kevin,

This is an SX-specific project book, though one could say it has plenty of general relevance towards programming other 8-bit microcontrollers in BASIC or ASM. Parallax prides itself in training material, as you know. Therefore, I would suggest that because the book focuses on the SX it is not "screwed up".

If the SX is being pushed to the side, we would not continue to invest in tool upgrades, new books, and stress-testing characterizations. If we're giving our customers the feeling that the SX and BS2 are being pushed to the side due to the arrival of the Propeller then we have a serious problem. Our revenue is highly dependent on three unique product lines (Stamp, SX, and Prop), not to mention our loyalty towards our customers demands equal development of these three lines.

I'd love to hear more from you on the subject to understand exactly what you believe in this regard.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    How about a C compiler that's 1 year behind schedule? I've been patiently waiting for that one to show up. Meanwhile my customers have decided to run with a Microchip product, because C is avaliable relatively inexpensivley. I lost out on a programming bid because I didn't know microchip·C and·my·competition did. It didn't matter that·the SX is faster chip·that would have enable more features, the C product my customer was insisting on wasn't there. It Seems to me that C product isn't avaliable because the propeller chewed up all of parallax's resources (Again, just my observation).·On top of that our prototype boards were based on the SX52, which up and·vanished. If lack of C didn't kill it, that dissapearing SX52 did. I've yet to see a 52 or > pin package·that is a little easier to hand solder.

Also, where's the USB version of the SX-Key. I heard rumors of that one coming. There should be a· PC powered USB SX-Key, with support for debug at target voltages below·5 volts.·If you guys really wanted to do that, you could.

Now,·I also haven't had time to follow the SX-B stuff. And still do all of my stuff in asm. What I see is that the Propeller is the big guy on the block, and the SX has taken the back seat. I'm still waiting for that C compiler, and development seems really slow on SX-B. When I say slow, I mean every time I turn around, there is a compiler upgrade. With my schedule, I don't feel that SX B will be stable enough to base my·projects on.

In my mind right now, the only reason to choose the SX is because it's in the basic stamps, and that will keep the line alive. In my products I need a source of chips for at least a decade.

Ok, enough venting for tonight!·I've got a·linear control loop with stability issues that needs some attention.

-Dan
    ·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

"A saint-like quantity of patience is a help, if this is unavailable, a salty vocabulary works nearly as well." - A. S. Weaver
    edited 2007-01-25 03:11
    If you notice there is not alot of activity on the SX forums and you can't tell me the SX is a strong seller for you unless it is a production part only. If you also notice this is not targeted to schools like the Stamps and BS2's. I don't see the SX being sold in Radio Shack either(what a marketing mistake there for the BS2 that would have been ok 10 years ago). I agree the SX has taken the back seat and that's just what it is.

Prove Us Wrong and Make Some Customers Happy!
    Kevin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-01-25 03:39
    Hello Kevin,

I think we see the situation quite differently and I won't be explaining any more Parallax·reasoning to you because it will only cause frustration for both parties.·I accept your perception and don't feel the need to influence you any further.

Dan, the USB SX-Key is still in engineering and has not·been driven to·production due to adequate supply of the serial version. It's proceeding, though. The C compiler is in beta and will remain there for quite some time. There's a beta test forum to which you could belong should you desire.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2007-01-25 04:04
    From my end, I've always seen the SX as device for the intermediate uP programmer.
    Enough was written to help half experienced programmers get it running.

If you were able to get through all the doc's on the Basic Stamp, and you became versed enough in it, then moving to the SX would have been easier than just picking it up.
    With the additional entry-level docs, then a person can start at the SX rather than work their way up to it.
    I'm thankful for what Parallax has done. The fact that their docs are free to download is amazing. They're not counting the $'s at the door to make all they can.

Anyhow, sorry for dusting things up Ken!
    Thanks much!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    edited 2007-01-25 11:46
    Anybody want to buy some SX stuff send me an email!

Kevin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-01-25 17:34
    I'd buy you lunch if you'd just stop posting in this forum, Kevin. That you like PICs (most of us do) is great -- there's no need to spew anger in the presence of those of us that are happy with the SX.
    edited 2007-01-25 17:38
    You know i'm not the one that has trouble supporting thier product! Yes i will shut up because i'm done with parallax.

Kevin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2007-01-25 18:11
    Kevin,

Thanks, PeterM
  • BenoitBenoit Posts: 47
    edited 2007-01-25 18:36
    I couldn't resist:
    42 = 0b010101 the meaning of life, the universe and everything else?

By the way,dkemppai, SourceBoost does have a C compiler for the Ubicom SX, C2C-Plus. The web page says it has support for the SX-Blitz. Has anyone tried it? It's fairly inexpensive. I hesitate to buy it, because I've not had good success with the BoostC compiler for PICs (it gives bloated compiled code).

-Ben
    edited 2007-01-25 20:23
    My comments were directed to Ken, but i see when there is a good discussion going on you don't have a problem joining in, maybe do the same when people need help and there's not a book to goto! Do you think you can fix a piece of equipment that your not real familier with without the manual, don't think so!

Kevin

No longer a member of this forum:

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-01-25 20:47
    For the sake of those who may be swayed by your inaccurate statements, there IS in fact a manual for the SX (it comes with all the SX programming kits). Of course, there are traditional data sheets as well. And there are in fact two books on programming the SX in its native assembly language (by Guether Daubach [noparse][[/noparse]bound] and Al Williams [noparse][[/noparse]yet another free PDF from Parallax]) -- both books published by Parallax. And SX/B is fully explained (with examples) it the online help file. Again, though Parallax does not charge a penny for SX/B they're willing to pay to keep improving it and to get a couple books written now that it has taken off. The truth is that SX/B was originally intended to bridge the gap between BASIC and Assembly (which is why it compiles in place, leaving your source code and the associated assembly output easy to follow) but due to customer response it now makes good sense to write full-fledged books for it.

Does Microchip actually publish any books (I'm asking, legitimately, because I don't know) or do they rely on Myke Predko, et al, to do that? Instead of being so harsh with Ken, you might have considered saying, "Hey, thanks, Ken, can't wait to see what you guys have coming." Just us thought.
  • Karl SmithKarl Smith Posts: 50
    edited 2007-01-25 21:03
    I have to agree with JonnyMac, the help file and the examples are good to start with, I have been able to write many programs with just the help only. A book would be nice but·you have to·have sx/b·at a point that it will not change much, or the books that are written will be nothing more than paper weights and remember sx/b is free, I don't see PIC, or AVR basic compilers for free