Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Video overlay using the propeller & EL1883 (Version 1.2) - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Video overlay using the propeller & EL1883 (Version 1.2)

2»

Comments

• simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2006-12-09 17:04
    Javalin said...
    Hi SimonL,

Nope, its a 1971 (or is it 79?) Historic formula Ford. Its a mate driving. see http://www.hscc.org.uk/

Did I see you post stuff a while ago for remote control type stuff for RC aircraft. I fly (RC) as well and it was something I am also interested in - but have no time at present. Did you get anywhere?

Cheers,

james
    Yup -- heli' flyer (well, would be if I ever got all the decorating done!). What do you fly?

My aim is to use a PChip (or two) to help get a Sea King into a solid hover, but I'm having less time with the PChip than I am flying at the mo' :-(

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2006-12-09 17:20
    Yes it does switch to a black background when the video is removed.

Still have a tiny bit of 'slant' and 'wave'·in the characters when no video in is supplied. This circuit is still on the plastic bread board so it needs to go to a perf board for a real test. Still playing with some of the values, and my circuit is a mixture of what's posted in the object and your original OSD board.

Working on a schematic and will build off of that, if it 'proves out' then I'll post the schematic.

If you use the small characters and use two horizontal rows between each line, it looks like it will display 32x19 characters.

Attached is a 'frame grab' @ 32x19, capture software will not grab a frame if I remove the input video. I'll fire up my old TEK 1480R waveform monitor later to see what the the NTSC signal looks like.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-12-09 17:41
    Mike,
    · The software will "wrap" the text. Using 8 pixels per line you can get 32x24 text (that is what it is designed for).
    ·
    · I guess your video capture doesn't like my "simplified" video signal.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"People who are willing to trade their freedom for·security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin
    ·
    edited 2006-12-09 18:01
    I though it was 32x24 but I'm glad you added the abiltiy to change the spacing if the user wants!

Also like the ability to go in and redefine the character set. When I get this on a perf board that will be next on the list to 'play with'.

Great Job!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

Post Edited (Mike Cook) : 12/9/2006 6:48:53 PM GMT
    320 x 240 - 115K
    320 x 240 - 114K
    320 x 240 - 116K
  • kerrywkerryw Posts: 61
    edited 2006-12-09 18:51
    Could someone post specific info on the electronic components required for this? Sorry to sound lame, but the resistors aren't a big deal (although it looks like there is a 1k pot in there, what is that adjusting?). When I looked at the 56nF capacitor I hit a wall. Ceramic disc, tantalum, .....? Sorry, I know more about programming than capacitors, a little help on getting the right components would be really appreciated. Thanks.

K
    edited 2006-12-09 19:13

The 1K pot controls the brightness or Intensity of the overlay.

As for components I'm using the LM1881N, a +5VDC version of the EL1881. There's also a EL1883, but unsure of the differences between the two EL part numbers, besides voltage (+3.3VDC parts)

All caps that I'm using are ceramic.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

Post Edited (Mike Cook) : 12/9/2006 7:17:44 PM GMT
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2006-12-09 19:16
    Here's what I used...

http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM1881.pdf

Also ordered the samples from them..
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-12-09 19:53
    Bean said...
    Does anyone have any ideas about if the propeller could do the function of the LM1881 ? That is seperate the sync signals from the video input.
    I tried this once with an SX, using its built-in comparator. It was a disaster. But I think the Propeller could do it if you dedicated a cog to the task. The idea would be to bias the (clamped) input using one of the counters in DUTY mode so that the biased signal straddled the Propeller's input threshold. The feedback for adjusting the bias point would be the percentage of time the input is "0" versus the time it's "1". The target value for this ratio can be obtained from the video sync specs. It would likely be best to put a low-pass filter after the biasing circuit so the observed percentage function is continuous, rather than stepped. This would permit finer control of the biasing, although at the expense of an extra input for the more accurately-timed (i.e. non-lagging) composite sync.

The circuit below illustrates the idea, although I've not tried it.

Is it worth the effort and extra components? The '1881 does make things awfully easy!

-Phil

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 12/9/2006 11:01:36 PM GMT
    539 x 290 - 4K
    edited 2006-12-15 01:02
    I posted a new version of the overlay object. Now up to version 1.2.

Phil, Yeah I tried the same thing on the SX with the same results. I had to adjust a pot everytime the time got lighter or darker. I just couldn't get it be reliable.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
  • PVJohnPVJohn Posts: 60
    edited 2006-12-15 01:41
    Bean:
    I tried to locate ver1.2, in object exchange download section, but I couldn't.
    Could you please provide a link where it's posted.
    What needs to be done to make it work on PAL TV set?

Thanks,

PVJohn
    ·
  • kerrywkerryw Posts: 61
    edited 2006-12-15 02:01
    PVJohn said...
    Bean:
    I tried to locate ver1.2, in object exchange download section, but I couldn't.
    Could you please provide a link where it's posted.
    What needs to be done to make it work on PAL TV set?

Thanks,

PVJohn
    PVJohn,
    ···· He has been updating the download link at the beginning of this thread.

Kerry
  • PVJohnPVJohn Posts: 60
    edited 2006-12-15 03:52
    Thanks kerryw, I missed that because I always go directly to the last page of the thread to read the latest posts.· I learned something new.

PVJohn
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-12-15 06:26
    Bean,

When I tried '1881 emulation on the SX, I attempted to clamp the backporch to a known level just above the SX's sync comparator threshold so I could avoid any manual adjustments. But it turned into a chicken-and-egg problem. To know when to gate the clamp, I had to have a good sync. To get a good sync, I needed to gate the clamp at just the right times. My thought was that it could be done with some sort of successive approximation technique, and that once locked, it would stay locked. But I didn't even get close. Yet, there's still a nagging feeling that it might have worked if I had stuck it out a bit longer.

-Phil
  • KovaKova Posts: 12
    edited 2006-12-16 02:53
    Bean, do you have a plan to add a sound to your project. That would be great!

Kova
    edited 2006-12-17 13:44
    Kova,
    For sound you could just use the BS2 functions object. I don't really need sound for my project.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
  • djh82ukdjh82uk Posts: 193
    edited 2007-06-10 22:23
    This is just what I was looking for....however I have a dilemna

I am working on a project that switches a device from Pal output to NTSC output via some jumpers (so basically a switch) I then want to output an overlay over the screen to say what mode it is currently in, is there anyway of making the overlay pal/ntsc on demand, and can the EL1883 handle a switch between NTSC and PAL, im curious as to how it would react. Is there a different circuit for PAL?

Any info would be appreciated, Im having a look at the datasheet now..

DJH
    edited 2007-06-10 22:38
    DJH,
    When the module is doing overlay (A video input is present) it automatically detects if it is NTSC or PAL. When there is no video input it just keeps the last mode. The NTSC/PAL setting is only valid at power-up IF there is no video input.

You should be able to do what you want with it.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    “The United States is a nation of laws -· poorly written and randomly enforced.” - Frank Zappa

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-06-11 01:06
    I wonder if it might be possible to lock on to the sync pulse and piggyback a propeller/hydra overlay directly on the video line? can a prop do this?

i know Mr. Gracey got an A/D working with two pins, an SMD R/C network soldered to the pins and a feedback loop in the nanosecond range, along with a bit of assy code had it working fine.
    (off topic a bit)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
    edited 2007-06-11 14:14
    Thanks bean, does it only auto detect on power up tho?

I guess I could power cycle the 1887 when changing modes, the screen flickers into the next mode anyway, perhaps a 1/2 sconed blank screen would look better.

Also it only gives a resistor value for Rset for NTSC, or will that work with pal too?

DJH
    edited 2007-06-11 14:19
    No it auto detects all the time. If the input switches it should change the overlay mode.

You just have too look at the variable __PAL_Mode if it is zero then it is in NTSC mode, non-zero then in PAL mode.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    “The United States is a nation of laws -· poorly written and randomly enforced.” - Frank Zappa

www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
    edited 2007-06-13 16:12
    Thats great thanks

I managed to get a few samples of the chip to test out, but they also sent me an eval board (which is great), trouble is the video in is a BNC socket, Im presuming this still takes composite input? there are very few components on there, it's just a breakout board really, few resistors etc.

No the problem I am having is this:

The system I am trying to work with has an RF output, aswell as an 8 pin Din socket, from what I can tell this socket has lines for RGB out and composite out, all to be wired up to a scart lead. Now here is my big problem, It looks like I need the RGB output as I will be switching between Pal and NTSC on a UK Pal TV, If I just output via composite then im pretty sure that they picture will be bad and in black and white (the same as RF).

Now is there anyway to split the composite signal into RGB?

On another note, is there anyway to combine RGB into composite? (just in case I find that the composite line was not used).

Any info would be great.

Thanks

DJH
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-06-13 19:45
    Is there an alternative part number for EL1883 that perhaps a local tech can locate?

Thanks
    Oldbit

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
    edited 2007-06-13 19:48
    All I have found them under is their intersil part number (EL1883IS is the one I have got),
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-06-13 23:22
    Oldbitcollector,
    Try sampling one or two EL1883 chips directly from intersil while you search for a good distributer. I have found that intersil is a very friendly company and will give samples to people who are nice and are honest about what they are actually doing. If you are a hobbyist then say so, they will send you the samples (just don't request too many chips).

djh82uk,
    What format is the RGB signal in? Does it have its own vertical / horizontal sync outputs or is that combined on one of the channels (usually green). If the RGB signal is analog then you should be able to overlay on just one of the colors. You will get a single color overlay, but its better than nothing. The input on the EL1883 evaluation board is indeed a composite input. Using the chip is quite simple, which is why the eval board is so simple.

Harrison
    edited 2007-06-14 16:56
    thats great thanks

he is the pinout description.

1 Sync
    2 Composite video
    3 Green
    4 Ground
    5 +5V
    6 Audio Mono
    7 Red
    8 Blue

Any use?

DJH
  • aziemeraziemer Posts: 1
    edited 2007-06-14 17:49
    @Oldbitcollector

An older/alternative version of the EL1883 is the LM1881 from National Semiconductors.

Andreas
    edited 2007-06-14 18:08
    The EL1883 was chosen because it works at 3.3V.
    The LM1881 requires 5 volts.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

www.hittconsulting.com
    ·