Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Video overlay using the propeller & EL1883 (Version 1.2) — Parallax Forums

Video overlay using the propeller & EL1883 (Version 1.2)

BeanBean Posts: 8,129
edited 2007-06-14 18:08 in Propeller 1
Okay,
· Now that the Hydra book is out I'm really going to town with the propeller.

· Here is my first project. It needs a be converted into an object, but it works.

· You'll need a LM1881 sync seperator ic (very common).

· Attached is a picture of the words "Propeller Video Overlay" overlaid on the hydra default game screen.
· (The picture is kinda blurry, but you get the idea).

· It was built on the propeller demo board using pins P0 and P1 only.

· I'd like to make this into a sellable project (serial interface) so comments are very welcome.

P.S. I'd like to lay claim to HITT_ as my filename prefix.

[noparse][[/noparse]EDIT] Posted updated version. Allows plotting points and 2 text sizes.

[noparse][[/noparse]EDIT] 12-08-2006 Posted version 1.0. Make overlay code an object. Added many enhancements.
·········· NOTE: LM1883 SHOULD BE EL1883 (Sorry about that).

[noparse][[/noparse]Edit] 12-14-06 Posted·version 1.2. Added new modes of drawing text. New methods. Tweaked assembly.

Bean.
·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman

Post Edited (Bean (Hitt Consulting)) : 12/15/2006 3:29:11 PM GMT
945 x 759 - 86K
915 x 701 - 82K

Comments

• Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2006-11-28 00:00
    SWEET!

I'll have to wire this up!

attachment.php?attachmentid=44332

Live picture looks better than this! (Camera is a crappy X-10 wireless guy)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

Post Edited (Mike Cook) : 11/28/2006 1:32:45 AM GMT
    320 x 240 - 64K
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2006-11-28 00:17
    That is amazing. Too bad I left my LM1881 sync separator chips at home. I'll definitely have to play with this when I go back home for Christmas.
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-11-28 01:00
    Bean that's awesome!!
    I had a feeling it would only be a short time before someone did this.

Okay, I'll remember your Filename prefix. smile.gif
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-11-28 01:35
    It's amazing how little assembly code is actually needed to pull this off. Initially·I was concerned about the 512 instruction limit, but I don't see it as a problem now.

The more I use the propeller the more I like it.

SPIN is taking a little longer to get used to though, but I'll get there.

The screen is bit mapped so you can draw lines and pixels as well as text. It is 256 pixel wide by 192 pixel high.

It must be the kidney stone meds I'm taking, because I actually put comments in the code this time :O

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"People who are willing to trade their freedom for·security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Post Edited (Bean (Hitt Consulting)) : 11/28/2006 1:39:40 AM GMT
    edited 2006-11-28 02:21
    Just tinkering with the code, I got a 16 X 7 display!

Bean - this is pretty cool! - Wish I knew what I was doing!

attachment.php?attachmentid=44333

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    320 x 240 - 67K
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-11-28 14:01
    Bean,

That is wonderful, and more cost effective than what I had in mind for my project.

Just to clarify though, I am assuming your using the TV object to project onto?
    edited 2006-11-28 15:17
    Bambino,
    You can use any NTSC (TV) video output. From a camera or DVD player or whatever. In my picture I just happen to be using the output from the Hydra. It looks like Mike is using a camera.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

"People who are willing to trade their freedom for·security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Post Edited (Bean (Hitt Consulting)) : 11/28/2006 3:45:31 PM GMT
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-11-28 15:40
    Thanks Bean,

I would like to use something like this in conjuction with Phils PropCam.

Great Job!!!
    edited 2006-11-28 23:49
    I just posted version 0.2 of the overlay program.
    It allows you to plot points and easily draw strings with two text sizes.

Enjoy,
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2006-11-30 10:34
    Bean,

What are you using to work out the vscl and vcfg registers on the propeller?

Is this an NTSC overlay?

Cheers,

James
    edited 2006-11-30 12:40
    James,
    Yes it is NTSC overlay.
    The manual for the Hydra explains how the video generation hardware works.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2006-11-30 12:48
    Hi Bean,

Great work!

Is there any chance of you producing a version that's PAL compatible (or is it already?)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    edited 2006-11-30 13:32
    Bean,

Happy to buy the Hydra manual, but what level of detail is there on the Propeller video hardware and in particular the vcfg/vscal/ctra etc registers and waitvid commands? Im cautious about purchasing a manual that skims the surface.

SimonL - i've been working with some success on a PAL video overlay based on the tv.spin driver. Few bits to sort out, hence the above queries.

Thanks,

James
    edited 2006-11-30 14:07
    James,
    There is a chapter that explains the counters and a chapter that explains the video hardware. I don't have the manual with me to tell you how many pages the chapters are, but they are not very long. But they do give you the information you need to figure them out on your own. At $70 the book/CD is on the expensive side, but it has knowledge that you just can't get anywhere else, so I think it is worth it.

The existing code would work for PAL. But everything will be near the top since PAL has more vertical lines than NTSC.
    You can just adjust the linecnt limits to center it for PAL. (#45 & #237)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2006-11-30 23:01
    Hay Bean,

Got my PAL one working.· I say *mine* as its a hack and slash of the tv.spin and yours.· The only thing to get going now is the colours.....· White-ish only at present.· Benny of this way is the pre-written graphics.spin object.

Attached is a (bad) picture!

James
    2560 x 1920 - 747K
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2006-12-01 17:40
    Gees, I wish I was as clever as you two!

Bean: Thanks for the info [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Javalin: Is that you doin' the drivin'? And is it a Lotus? (Sorry -- off-topic!)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    edited 2006-12-01 17:43
    Hi SimonL,

Nope, its a 1971 (or is it 79?) Historic formula Ford. Its a mate driving. see http://www.hscc.org.uk/

Did I see you post stuff a while ago for remote control type stuff for RC aircraft. I fly (RC) as well and it was something I am also interested in - but have no time at present. Did you get anywhere?

Cheers,

james
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2006-12-08 18:04
    Bean- Just wanted to thank you for this! I got my 1881's the other day and wired this up.. Works great!
    Looking forward to the release of the object!!
    edited 2006-12-08 18:09
    Sharpie,
    · I'm just cleaning up the code. Should be this weekend.

· I have added the ability to detect if there is no video input and generate it's own sync pulses. Also an assembly routine to draw lines (much faster), also filled circles. And Draw, Erase, Xor modes for all routines.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Bean (Hitt Consulting)) : 12/8/2006 6:15:47 PM GMT
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-12-08 18:16
    This is quite interesting. Sometime back I thought the Propeller's multiple cogs could be used to make an electronic cash register [noparse][[/noparse]the drawer is an OEM product, so are keyboards and tape printers. And bar code readers use the same interface as the mouse and keyboard].

Anyway the idea was to have a Video display with Point of Sale advertising and an overlay of your cash register transactions.
    Seems that you could have your advert on a DVD player and the Propeller could drive the rest with an overlay to the video screen.

Maybe this can evolve into a commercial application for Bean.·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 12/8/2006 6:21:28 PM GMT
    edited 2006-12-08 19:21
    Kramer,
    · This will be a product for me. I've already stopped production of the old overlay module (I've bee sold out for quite awhile now). In preparation of making this new "Hi-Res" overlay module.

· In fact it has come together much faster than I had even hoped. (A testiment to the propeller and the Hydra, not my ability).

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2006-12-08 20:36
    I have posted the latest version.

Does overlay/generate, fast assembly line drawing, Draw, Erase, Xor modes.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • kerrywkerryw Posts: 61
    edited 2006-12-09 00:36
    Nice work! BTW, where can you buy the LM1883? I've looked online and can't seem to find a place that sells them. Thanks.

Kerry
    edited 2006-12-09 00:53
    Oops,
    That should have been EL1883 and digikey has them.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2006-12-09 00:55
    I LIKE IT!

I'll need to rewire my LM1881 circuit, got something out of wack (video is tearing a bit), and it's wired up on a plastic bread board. Need to wire it up on a perf board.

How critical is the 56nF? All I had on hand was a .01uF

GREAT work keep it up! Looks like I will add this to my swimming pool control box, Now I can have·video of the back yard and display·pool data over the video!

THANKS!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    edited 2006-12-09 01:04
    Mike,
    The values I took were from the recommended NTSC circuit for the EL1883. If you using the LM1881 use the recommended NTSC circuit for that chip.

I chose the EL1881 because it will run from 3.3V and it's available in RoHS.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2006-12-09 01:19
    Thanks, I look through the LM1881 data sheet for that.

Or I bet ya the values for this excellent device will work!

http://user.pa.net/~bean/sxvm/SXOSD%20Schematic%20Rev%20A.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    edited 2006-12-09 01:30
    Mike,

Yeah they would work. That is an excellent device, but it is being replaced by this really cool hi-resolution overlay board that I'm working on [noparse];)[/noparse]

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2006-12-09 16:15
    Got the video 'wiggle' out of my LM1881 circiut!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    edited 2006-12-09 16:42
    Mike,
    · You got the small text very clear. Nice job.

· Does it switch okay when the video input is removed ?

· Does anyone have any ideas about if the propeller could do the function of the LM1881 ? That is seperate the sync signals from the video input.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Bean (Hitt Consulting)) : 12/9/2006 4:47:12 PM GMT