Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What would you want more of, cogs or RAM? - Page 29 — Parallax Forums

What would you want more of, cogs or RAM?

1232425262729»

Comments

• KyeKye Posts: 2,200
    edited 2009-08-17 23:38
    Nah, wifi. That would be awsome, image the noise.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nyamekye,
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-08-18 00:54
    HollyMinkowski said...
    Groan, processors of all types are just ending up with too many pins!

Time to create processors with just 2 pins!

Positive V and Gnd pins.
    LOL Holly, that's like

Q: "How many bits are there in·the smallest compressed data file?"

A: Two - one for the data, the other for the compression algorithm.

hehehe

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • HollyMinkowskiHollyMinkowski Posts: 1,398
    edited 2009-08-18 01:20
    @CounterRotatingProps

I got to tag along to a seminar a while back.
    Lots of computer industry heavyweights were giving speeches about the future of computing.
    Most of it way over my head but I was excited by talk of 3d architectures that were cooled by
    forcing coolant through pores in the 3d chip and circulating through a sort of radiator. Optical
    was bandied about as a good way to handle communications within the chip as well as to the
    outside world. Basically a super cpu block with 2 power leads and that was it.

No idea how such a thing could be constructed...there was some talk of molecular assemblers..
    a sort of 3 dimensional copy machine that would build stuff in 3 dimensions using raw materials.
    I'd love to see that on my desktop someday soon!

I'm eager for the future to arrive smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Some mornings I wake up cranky.....but usually I just let him sleep in -
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2009-08-18 01:47
    Supercooled processors have been around for decades. But you require a refrigeration expert to keep it running!

Holly, there just isn't the package you want that doesn't impose severe cost penalties. Same goes for the lovely extras. Bottom line, no-one will buy it. The PropII has to have 64 I/O. That is a current restriction of the Prop I.

PropII is not aimed at a desktop replacement although we are all trying to make it do that. LOL. But, tongue-in-cheek, we are using older or simpler operating systems than what even DOS became.

Now, where is that wooden stake ???

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBladeProp, RamBlade, TwinBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: Micros eg Altair, and Terminals eg VT100 (Index) ZiCog (Z80), MoCog (6809)
    · Search the Propeller forums (via Google)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBladeProp is: www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm
    edited 2009-08-18 01:59
    Yup, I realize prop2 is not going to be a super chip, it has to come in at a cost
    close to what the prop1 sells for to survive in the market.

I'm just dreaming of the future smile.gif

Kurzweil was at that seminar...and gave the same speech he always gives...but it fires up the imagination. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-08-18 02:13
    Does anyone happy know the answer to my question above? (What caused this Beast to live again [noparse]:)[/noparse])

@Holly - BTW your new avatar is quite cool ...
    (I'm almost tempted to say "you go girl!" but I won't :-P)

- Howard

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-18 02:33
    CRP,
    Which question? If it's about letting some cogs hog more hub slots than others, that was discussed at length and eventually dismissed as I mentioned. If it's about freezing the Prop II design, no it's not frozen yet, but most of it is probably frozen, certainly the major parameters like the chip process to be used, supply voltages, number of I/O pins, number of cogs, amount of hub ram, basic hub logic, basic cog logic, overall design of the I/O pads. What seems to still be in a little flux is the set of small functional units around the cog like the multiplier, video generator, and cog counters. I am not Chip and I am not privy to any information that has not been posted here or in the webinars, but I have read or listened to it and I can add 2 + 2 and get 4 (most of the time).

I did say quite some time back that there'd be no DIP package for Prop II and I stand by that. It's too expensive and not generally available anymore. What Chip was talking about (and I did listen to the webinar) was a DIP format module like the SpinStamp probably using a BGA packaged version of the Prop II like the SpinStamp does for the Prop I.

The beast lives again because people don't bother reading the whole epic thread and the same questions and desires come up again.
    edited 2009-08-18 02:41
    Mike Green said...
    CRP,
    Which question? ...If it's about freezing the Prop II design, no it's not frozen yet, but most of it is probably frozen,...
    Mike - Yes, thanks - that was really all I wanted to know. (I did search the thread btw.)

- Howard

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-08-18 03:10
    CounterRotatingProps said...
    BTW your new avatar is quite cool ...

Thanks, I went searching for a new avatar after someone said my old one looked like an image of someone
    who was stuck-up and full of herself...LoL ...so I looked for something fun and silly. That is a small part of
    an old 1948 ad from a comic book. The ad was selling TooTsie Roll Pop Propeller Beanies for a quarter each.
    ip8mjq.jpg

There were a few runners ups.
    45715170.skeezix_propbeanie.jpg
    SuperStock_1555R-304340.jpg
    10806.jpg
    05.jpg
    2886309242_e61b6e5eef.jpg%3Fv%3D1222296714
    talking-tina1.jpg

If I had a beanie I'd take a picture of me wearing it...but who actually has a propeller beanie handy smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (HollyMinkowski) : 8/18/2009 3:40:44 AM GMT
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2009-08-18 03:36
    > I went searching for a new avatar after someone said my old one looked like an image of someone who was stuck-up and full of herself.

Your new avatar is nice, but I thought the old one was nice as well. Had a touch of class. No accounting for taste.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-08-18 03:41
    Holly,

I like your new avatar. It exudes youthful enthusiasm! smile.gif

-Phil
    edited 2009-08-18 03:45
    Thanks Phil smile.gif

On looking over that old ad up above, there are several other cute propeller beanie avatars that could be clipped from it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2009-08-18 06:25
    Holly, your avatar is great.

Love the old comic, but 25c is a bit expensive for 1948!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBladeProp, RamBlade, TwinBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: Micros eg Altair, and Terminals eg VT100 (Index) ZiCog (Z80), MoCog (6809)
    · Search the Propeller forums (via Google)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBladeProp is: www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm
    edited 2009-08-18 07:23
    @Cluso99

I guess that's right. I didn't consider 60yrs of dollar value difference.

And that quarter would have been made of real silver too!

I wonder what a real silver quarter is worth now? I suppose that would be the real 1948
    cost of the beanie....a lot for a child to part with.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-08-20 20:34
    Holly, your alternate choices for avatar are ... well, as the comic said, " HOOTIN' ZOOTS " * !

I like the Spock version especially and the all-too familar doll with "Bring it"

BTW - I agree with kwinn. Your old avatar was classy and artful. So whoever told you it looked stuck up needs to have a Prop Beenie stuck on their head ... it'll give 'em a lift to higher understanding.

|=8^O

* Hey, where is Zoot anyway? - you resemble that remark.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • heaterheater Posts: 3,370
    edited 2009-08-20 20:48
    Shucks... now I want to see Holly's old avatar. I don't recall it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For me, the past is not over yet.
    edited 2009-08-20 20:57
    wow what happens when this thread gets to page 36 and the html has to wrap ... will it do a second line ... or will the internet explode?

What's the record anyway (since we're off topic anyway - and everybody wants this thread to die ... bwwhhaaaa) ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-08-20 21:10
    CRP said...
    wow what happens when this thread gets to page 36 and the html has to wrap ... will it do a second line ...

Assuming you mean the page numbers on the forum thread list, yes, it wraps. With chrome at least you can just resize the window and watch it wrap. Besides, on my screen there are still spots for four or five page numbers. What makes you think it's your screen that blows up the internet? Huh? [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2009-08-20 21:38
    the all-too familar doll with "Bring it"

I almost went with the Talking Tina doll, but the "Bring It" seemed a bit harsh.

Of course that doll is from an old Twilight Zone episode, you can see it when
    SyFy channel runs a marathon. It's an early 60's doll called the Vogue Brikette.
    You still see them at yard sales...I almost bought one once but could not get
    the old lady down to 15.00 smile.gif They have bright red/orange hair and a sort of
    devilish grin. Of course they made up a special outfit for the doll in that old tv show
    and the Brikette doll was not a talking doll...I think they based the talking on
    the Chatty Kathy doll.
    9kcw02.jpg

1zgw9eg.jpg

I bet that way back when that scary show aired a lot of little girls saw it and
    recognizing it as their Brikette doll became a bit frightened.

Oh my, the topic of this post has really wondered hasn't it...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-08-20 22:59
    > I bet that way back when that scary show aired a lot of little girls saw it and
    > recognizing it as their Brikette doll became a bit frightened.

Yeah, it is pretty freaky looking --- like it needs to have a knife in it's mouth, sideways, pirate wise. !^(|) arrr matey! Get one at another yard sale, stick one of Parallax's just announced voice response boards in her belly and a speaker in the mouth, hooked up to a Prop. Just in time for Halloween! Put it on the front porch by the door, and your candy supply will not run low that night! <G>

> Oh my, the topic of this post has really wondered hasn't it

Well you know, not really: we're talking about Propellers on virtual heads - and Parallax sells at least a 2-d version:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/Other/tabid/167/ProductID/497/CategoryID/58/List/0/Level/a/Default.aspx?

So I guess the next question is how many blades should the New Prop II Beenie have?

(Like a give away anatomy question: "How many ears has the human?")

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Agent420Agent420 Posts: 439
    edited 2009-08-21 10:25

Yeah, it is pretty freaky looking ---
    ·On that note, check out what this engineer/artist created with these doll heads shocked.gif·
    ·(from my Electronic Art Links post - more good stuff there)

installedmed72.jpg

et2l.jpg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-08-21 11:48
    @Agent420

Makes me think of the doll heads in the movie Tideland
    tidg1.jpg

1172431903.jpg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-08-23 23:33
    Maybe Chip needs to jump back in and rename this thread to:

" What would you want more of, cogs, RAM, or Freaky Propeller Heads? "

BWAAAHHH

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • kubakuba Posts: 94
    edited 2010-12-15 10:53
    That bigger ROM is going to be used, eventually, for sinking the entire development system into. This way, we can finally get OFF the PC for good, if we want to. I don't want us to keep wasting our time (and energy) writing perishable Windows apps. We've spent what has got to be cumulative man-years at Parallax wrestling with Windows to get what we needed, while at the same time we're chasing bizarre·bugs which routinely result from Windows patches and upgrades. It's been like building on a sandy foundation all along, and it just gets worse and worse.
    I think you really need to port your software over to the Qt framework. It's the only cross-platform framework out there that has real manpower continuously invested into it, and by a big name company (Nokia). They issued a press release recently that they bet all of their phone future on Qt. It's serious, IOW, and methinks would be a safe bet from your standpoint.

I'm a very happy user of Qt. Luckily I haven't had to deal with Windows quirks much at all for many years. It is open source, available under LGPL so you don't need to open source your application that uses Qt!

For the most part, Qt takes care of all OS bugs and quirks. Write once, run anywhere, in a true fashion. I routinely develop using Qt on OS X, and the end users are on Windows. Qt SDK comes with Qt Creator -- a nice IDE with code completion, built-in documentation, bundled C/C++ compiler, version control interfaces, etc. Of course the Creator is open source so if you wish you can use the Creator shell as a cross-platform base for your own IDE development.

Qt is a C++ framework, but it also integrates with many scripting languages.

About the only thing Qt doesn't abstract out is the FTDI driver, but since they recently got their act together and did a real usblib-2 port to Unices (including OS X) that supports their D2XX API, that shouldn't be a problem anymore.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2010-12-15 11:40
    kuba,

Qt is great stuff, I use it at work for getting our apps to run on Linux, Windows, Mac. Have yet to try it out on a mobile phone though.

Not sure what issues you have with FTDI but I've been using serial ports from Qt for ages with QextSeriaPort http://qextserialport.sourceforge.net/

Anyway, Chip is building his own silicon, his own computer, his own compiler etc. I seriously believe we will see an on-chip self-hosting programming system coming as well. I don't see that lack of a GUI library stopping him:)
  • kubakuba Posts: 94
    edited 2010-12-15 13:14
    Heater. wrote: »
    Not sure what issues you have with FTDI but I've been using serial ports from Qt for ages with QextSeriaPort http://qextserialport.sourceforge.net/
    QextSerialPort does not wrap functionality of D2XX that I need for my application, and that you'd need if you're serious about streaming data efficiently. The serial port APIs exposed by most OSes miss the few key bits here.
  • train nuttrain nut Posts: 70
    edited 2010-12-15 14:52
    I vote for more ram and speed.

Ben
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2010-12-15 15:27
    Hi;

My current take on more Cogs or RAM is.......... less of each, if I could get it at a significantly lower price, and PortB wired out (or at least internally connected).

For me that would make a very viable replacement for the EOL SX.

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2010-12-15 16:21
    Yes, my wish list has changed considerably over time. Once, I wanted both. Now - external memory means there is enough memory to run big programs, and with the clever Catalina code to move any number of binaries in and out of cogs on the fly, maybe there are enough cogs as well.

So I'm just a happy little bunny with the Prop exactly as it is.

Well, maybe not. Now I want more ram for a video buffer...