Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What would you want more of, cogs or RAM? - Page 20 — Parallax Forums

What would you want more of, cogs or RAM?

Comments

• Mark BramwellMark Bramwell Posts: 56
    edited 2007-08-29 05:51
    SMD microcontrollers are not bad if proto boards are available at a decent price. The $20/ea for a 5-pack is not bad (current special on the web page). It appears the P2 will need to be on a proto board if hobbyists are going to use them. Hopefully we will not pay a huge premium over the cost of the chip for the board to make it usable. One negative of 'manufactured' proto boards with SMD devices is if you zap the CPU. You would have to start over with a new board and not simply swap out the chip. If you have built an entire robot-thing on the board, this could be a disaster.

I recently picked up a pair of PropRPM boards. Why? Because they had RS-232 instead of USB. I use my boards to interface with serially controlled devices. USB-client boards are useless in those scenarios. Once I program the board, the RS232 is an asset. Although USB is convenient during the programming phase, it is dead hardware once you unplug. I must admit I like the idea of being able to swap the DIP-40 if needed.
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-08-29 12:45
    @Mark: The protoboards don't have USB - or RS232 for that matter.· They just have LVTTL UART.· You have to add circuitry for either (i.e., Prop Plug).· Makes sense to me.

I do share Bergamot's concerns about the carrier board costing 5X as much as the chip.· If Parallax can offer a carrier board as reasonable as the Prop Protoboard, then we get the best of both worlds.· Just leave a double row of holes and let the end user solder in pins if they need to use a breadboard.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • Chuck DavisChuck Davis Posts: 23
    edited 2007-08-29 19:31
    I guess I would be happy with something like the protoboard if it was more compact and was in that price range.

How about a board that's about 2 x 2 inches and has 20 pins on each·side. Just put a crystal on the board with the processor·and nothing else (maybe a memory chip if there's room).·Just bring all the other pins out to the 80 headers. ·It would be small enough to build into other projects, be pluggable/removable, and inexpensive.

Surely this could be built for·under $20 like the protoboard.
    edited 2007-08-29 21:09
    EXACTLY!· roll.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Chuck DavisChuck Davis Posts: 23
    edited 2007-08-29 21:14
    jumpin.gif·YEA - That's what I'm talkin' about!!· But just a board with chip and crystal.· I'll add the headers of my choice, etc.
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2007-08-30 01:07
    Hi

We made a few of the below attached picture·on our PCB miller
    Single sided ..with just the crystal no eeprom.
    Laying out one with an eeprom underneath and maybe
    some other stuff on it..

Cheers
    Ronald Nollet·· Australia
    1600 x 1200 - 839K
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-30 01:52
    Ron,

Pretty. Though I would like to see the board with the chip rotated 27 degrees or so to give it a proper prop look.

Can the layout program can handle curved traces?

Fred
    edited 2007-08-30 02:50
    oh brudduh eyes.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2007-08-30 03:18
    Hi Fred.

Yes we can do curved traces.. we use easypc from www.numberone.com good package..V11 latest
    This was a quick knock up ....
    Yep I agree a 27 degree rotate woud give it the Prop feel/look.

cheers
    Ronald Nollet Australia
  • GavinGavin Posts: 134
    edited 2007-08-30 03:45
    Ron,

What· machine did you use for milling the pcb's?

Gavin
    edited 2007-08-30 06:31
    Hi Gavin.
    How are you going the up north in sunny QLD.

We have a Quickcircuit pcb miller
    http://www.t-tech.com/products/default.asp

cheers
    Ronald Australia.
  • Franz AchatzFranz Achatz Posts: 140
    edited 2007-08-30 10:10
    the Prop2 could look like this burger.gif

Franz

Post Edited (Franz Achatz) : 8/30/2007 1:48:01 PM GMT
    454 x 362 - 52K
    515 x 402 - 50K
    edited 2007-08-30 10:25
    Hi Frans

How did you draw this ..

Groetjes uit Australia

Ronald Nollet
    edited 2007-08-30 10:31
    Hi Ronald,

with Eagle and Eagle3D

br
    Franz
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-30 15:47
    Franz, it should read P16X256 on the chip , not P8 ...
    edited 2007-08-30 16:09
    deSilva,

you meen:

(8 COG Version) >>> P8X256
    (16 COG Version) >>> P16X128

or will it be a P16X256? WHOW !!!!

is this correct ????

br
    Franz
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-08-30 17:33
    it would be P16X32, 32 is the architecture width, not the size of memory.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-08-30 19:53
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    it would be P16X32, 32 is the architecture width, not the size of memory.

strange·name selections are going on.
    Everybody knows that a 6502, Z80, 8048, 80C537, 89C2051, ATMEGA8, ATMEGA16, ATMEGA32, ATMEGA64, ATMEGA128, ATMEGA256 is a 8-Bitter. Everybody should know that the Propeller is a 32 Bitter.
    Therefore i was just guessing about the Prop2-naming :-) sorry about that.

br
    Franz

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Please visit my online Propeller at:

http://achatz.xs4all.nl
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-08-30 19:58
    It would be easy to get confused on what the 32 means, it could be the RAM size, it could be the number of IO pins or it could be the architecture width.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-08-30 20:10
    Paul,

i was thinking:
    you have one CON and two VAR's.
    CON = the 32 Bit architecture.
    The VAR's are the COG's and the RAM.
    Therefore i was composing it together to P8X256 or to P16X128 smile.gif

P= Propeller
    8 = COG`s
    X = i dont`t know yet, wat is X ???????
    256 = the RAM in KB

have fun
    Franz

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
    edited 2007-08-30 20:18
    Franz Achatz said...
    Hi Ronald,

with Eagle and Eagle3D

br
    Franz

Just tried Eagle3D. It gave me the Blue Screen Of Death! smhair.gif
    edited 2007-08-30 20:25
    "X" means multiplied.·· 8 cogs x 32 bits per cog.· right?· smilewinkgrin.gif···

I'm trying to imagine a 64bit Propeller· hop.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2007-08-30 20:47
    MarkS said...
    Franz Achatz said...
    Hi Ronald,

with Eagle and Eagle3D

br
    Franz

Just tried Eagle3D. It gave me the Blue Screen Of Death! smhair.gif
    Mark,
    besides Eagle3D, you need to install Pov-Ray.
    After that please consult the Eagle3D manual !!!!
    br
    Franz

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2007-08-30 20:54
    It was my fault. I was saving the board as a PDF file and it was chopping off part of the board outline, so I gave the board a double outline to compensate. This caused the ULP to hang. Once I removed the extra outline, it worked. Thanks for informing me/us about this program!
    edited 2007-08-31 19:41
    This is a little off topic, but maybe someone could explain...

Why isn't there a microcontroller with address and data pins? I understand the function of a microcontroller, but there are times when you need to bypass the internal ROM/RAM. Having, say, 16 address pins and 8 data pins along with a few bus control and chip select pins would allow for this. Of course, it would make for a larger chip, but is that so bad? I would really love to see any manufacturer come out with a hybrid microprocessor/microcontroller. I could build my own microcontroller (NOT as a single chip), an am in fact doing so, but bi-directional I/O pins are exceedingly difficult to do if you need a low chip count. I also understand that I could use a microcontroller's I/O pins as address/data pins, but that would take up most of them for memory access.

Excuse my rambling. This is something that has been bugging me for quite some time. Had to get it off my chest...

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...
    edited 2007-08-31 19:54
    @Mark:

I mentioned this a couple of pages ago on this thread.· It would be nice to be able to re-configure a bank of I/O pins into an address bus.· You can do it with software, but memory access would be S....L.....O.....W.

With the new propeller, I understand there are 64 I/O pins planned.· That would allow, say, 28 general I/O with the rest being able to directly access 64K 16-bit words with handshaking.

The big question is whether that added complexity on-chip would be worth it.· You can only do so much before you have to freeze the design and start making it or it will be forever vaporware!

Ken

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2007-08-31 20:01
    or...better yet...

20 pins address + 8 pins data + 4 pins handshake.· That allows addressing a megabyte of RAM.· Imagine being able to use RDBYTE and WRBYTE instructions to access a MB of RAM!· I'd trade 32 out of 64 I/O pins for that!·· hop.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-08-31 20:03
    @Mark: There are MANY microcontrollers with extrnal bus systems. Granted more in the high end area (>10$) sporting 80+ pins. But there are examples in the low cost market as well ATMEL's 8515 (or is it 8535?) is an example, the Intel 8085 protocol had been quite popular for a while... That was before the world went serial...

Such stuff however requires two things:
    - an extended processor logic fetching data (and instructions?) from that external memory system
    - another special logic for the bus timing

I should say both concepts do not lay directly on the "Propellor Way"
    edited 2007-08-31 20:12
    deSilva said...
    @Mark: There are MANY microcontrollers with extrnal bus systems. Granted more in the high end area (>10$) sporting 80+ pins. But there are examples in the low cost market as well ATMEL's 8515 (or is it 8535?) is an example, the Intel 8085 protocol had been quite popular for a while... That was before the world went serial...

Such stuff however requires two things:
    - an extended processor logic fetching data (and instructions?) from that external memory system
    - another special logic for the bus timing

Thanks for the info. I figured that they existed, but could not find them.
    deSilva said...

I should say both concepts do not lay directly on the "Propellor Way"

Like I said, it was off topic. I like the Propeller way! Its just there are times when you need more.