Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HYDRA Game Console Kit, Game Programming for the Propeller Powered HYDRA on Sal - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

HYDRA Game Console Kit, Game Programming for the Propeller Powered HYDRA on Sal

2»

Comments

• ciw1973ciw1973 Posts: 64
    edited 2006-11-20 13:09
    You'll probably find that the PSU it comes with will take a 110-250v supply anyway. The one that arrived with my demo board certainly did, so all I needed was a 1.50 GBP shaver adapter.
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2006-11-21 04:16
    Be careful with that though, the transformer is a simple step down and will work with higher voltage, but its output will shift from 9 to 12 or 15, that's too much for some 5V regulators and definitely will make them HOT if not burn out all together, the hydra for example uses standard 78mxx regulators and likes no more than 9V on its input, 12V will work, but regulators start getting pretty toasty like that.

andre'
  • Cliff L. BiffleCliff L. Biffle Posts: 206
    edited 2006-11-21 04:28
    AndreL said...
    Also, the audio output on the demo board is slightly different, so the filtering might not act the same

So this is totally the synth geek in my speaking, but do you have any tweakable analog filters on the output? I've been thinking about strapping a tunable bandpass and resonator onto my Propeller, get some hybrid synth going. (Built some MIDI instruments with the Stamp a decade back.)

You can make simple digital output sound much neater with a little bit of analog trickery. Look at the SID. smile.gif
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2006-11-21 05:28
    No analog changeable stuff there, but you can do a lot in the digital domain, I would just do stuff there, like we are mixing 11 channels of 22KHz, PCM and synthed sine, square, tri, etc. all together and PWMing it out. Just remember at the end of the day all teh sound comes out of a little 2" mono speaker on most TVs [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Andre'
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-11-21 14:35
    AndreL said...
    No analog changeable stuff there, but you can do a lot in the digital domain, I would just do stuff there, like we are mixing 11 channels of 22KHz, PCM and synthed sine, square, tri, etc. all together and PWMing it out. Just remember at the end of the day all teh sound comes out of a little 2" mono speaker on most TVs [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Andre'

True, but that never stop anyone from trying in the past. ^^
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2006-11-21 14:50
    But that one guy with the really great TV, or headphones will be really, really happy!
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2006-11-21 14:53
    potatohead said...
    But that one guy with the really great TV, or headphones will be really, really happy!
    And that would be Me and Cliff! (lol)
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2006-11-21 17:45
    Got the kit today! The power supply is American :-(; I think I have at least 10 power supplies at 110/120V/60Hz counting this one.
    I wonder, is it so expensive to include an universal power supply ?

The board looks to me like a larger Propeller Demo board. :-O
    The book looks amazing !

As I ordered some months ago the Propeller add-on kit now I have two identical Parallax mini-keyboards and two Parallax PS2-mice!!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔