Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programming a PChip using other than the IDE.. Possible? — Parallax Forums

Programming a PChip using other than the IDE.. Possible?

sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
edited 2006-10-17 15:30 in Propeller 1
Is it possible to push 'EEPROM', or 'Binary' files that have been saved via the 'View Info' window in the IDE to the PChip from a VB app?· If I build a device and hand it over to users, and wish to provide 'firmware updates' on occasion without my intervention?· For example, they have a windows (VB)app that talks to the device (which has a ftdi chip setup just like the demo board) and I want them to be able to push a button to update the 'firmware' on the propeller in the device....· The app would go out and grab the latest 'firmware' from a server and push it out to the PChip, reprogramming it's eeprom·with the updated code.

Am I dreaming?· I'm sure it's probably not easy, but if it's possible I am interested to say the least....

Comments

• simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2006-08-16 12:25
    Absolutely essential if we're going to be putting the PChip into real products - so I'd like to be able to do this too...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-08-16 13:54
    The issue being that if you need to update the eeprom on the propeller, and you don't want the users to have the ide, one of two things...
    #1) YOUR spin program must have a module that will permit it to DL (from what ever means you design), and store the code into eeprom, which means your spin app must:
    ....have a means for knowing when to go into 'update mode'.
    ....have the I2C object included in it's source, to talk to the eeprom (that eats some of the 32k ram...)
    ....have the Serial object included in it's source to listen to the incomming data stream (that eats more of the 32k ram...)

#2) YOUR VB app must simulate what the IDE does when it DL's to the propeller.

I don't know if Parallax would release the "how the IDE DL's into the Propeller's EEPROM" RFI, one can only ask.
    And Just an FYI: Only YOUR spin code can be updated... not the acutal propeller firmware.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Propeller + Hardware - extra bits for the bit bucket =· 1 Coffeeless KaosKidd

·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-08-16 14:35
    Chip has posted a SPIN program (attached here) that will run on one Propeller and download to a second Propeller. The Propeller Tool will create a binary file with a EEPROM image in it that the loader can use. This could be rewritten for some other platform. The program is short and not too complicated.
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2006-08-16 14:50
    lets imagine a prop with 2 EEproms their CS wired to a spdt switch..... in one the update program, in the other your normal program.. now to update , you shutdown the prop, flip the switch, startup again and the program asks for the binary file, then loads that into the original EEprom... shutdown, flip switch, startup and tada....
    seems doable with only the extra cost of a EEprom and a spdt switch... less than $5
    dan

Oops , meant DPDT so you could swap pin one of the EEproms from high to low and viceversa

Post Edited (Sawmiller) : 8/16/2006 2:59:44 PM GMT
    edited 2006-08-16 14:59
    Actually, you don't even have to do that. The Prop Loader is written to use the FILE directive which includes a file as a byte array. The Prop Loader is small and most of memory is available for the actual program to be loaded. You download the whole thing to a PropStick say, plug in the second Propeller, push reset, and away you go.
    edited 2006-08-16 15:28
    very true,
    however sharpie was looking for a way to update over the internet, and the cost of sending a stache or prop with every finished project would be higher than just including a extra EEprom and some code in that eprom to grab a file from a computer ( assuming the file was d/led in the first place)
    dan
    edited 2006-08-16 15:32
    Hold-up a minute. If we now have code for one PChip to update another PChip, surely we now have all that's required to work out how to achieve the same in VB - don't we?

Anyone care to have a go? -- Not sure I've got enough brain cells for the task blush.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-08-16 15:58
    That's right. It's all there. It get's a little more complicated when using a serial port since you are dealing with bytes containing a low start bit, 8 data bits, and a high stop bit. So, the pulses have to be packed into bytes. You can fit 3 pulses into an outgoing byte. You could just use one byte per pulse, but it would be 1/3 the speed. Would you all be interested in some Delphi code to do the job?
    simonl said...
    Hold-up a minute. If we now have code for one PChip to update another PChip, surely we now have all that's required to work out how to achieve the same in VB - don't we?

Anyone care to have a go? -- Not sure I've got enough brain cells for the task blush.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-08-16 16:13
    Chip,
    You can put me down for a copy of code on the subject.
    Please comment a little as I've not dealt with delphi.(mainly where it differs from VB.)
    edited 2006-08-16 16:29
    I'm interested in the code as well...
    [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2006-08-16 18:04
    Same here. I'm not that delphi savvy, but I'm sure it would be more help than not..

Kaos Kidd: Very convenient since I have all those objects included in my project already! (I was using the word 'firmware' in reference to my code=) )

So, Chip.. .Does this mean that we'd use the 'Propeller Loader.spin' in conjunction with the Delphi code to update the eeprom? Also, probably should wait to see the code but I'm anxious..... Is there a way to specify how much of the eeprom it overwrites, so it can leave a certain address range untouched? (for example, datalogging writing to the eeprom and wanting to keep that data after the 'update' is complete..) If not, no worries but doesn't hurt to ask.. =)
    edited 2006-08-16 18:39
    Well, if you write your own PC loader, you control how much data gets sent to the eeprom... so, in theory, you don't have to write the whole ee out... so long as what you do write out is complete, I can't see a problem with it... then again, I'm far from being a knowitall of the propeller...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 755
    edited 2006-08-16 19:32
    The Propeller is designed (in firmware) to automatically fill the rest of the EEPROM with zeros plus a small (8 byte) block of boot-up overhead data once the host has finished sending the entire compiled program and data. For this reason (unless I'm wrong and Chip says otherwise), trying to download just a portion of the image (less than the program+data, or more than the program+data) will not work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 755
    edited 2006-08-16 19:35
    I've been thinking of making a Propeller Loader program (similar to the Stamp Loader for the BASIC Stamps) that would solve this problem. Just haven't done it yet no one has asked for it and there are other pressing issues.

I'll let the forum know when I have it. It could be something that any program or batch file could call, and pass it a file name of the image to load.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-08-16 19:42
    Well, I guess if the propeller's firmware is doing it... then that's not the trick... BUT...
    what if someone were to write the PC app to use I2C protocall, and you provide connection (ie 3.3 volt data conversion and ground) to the eeprom?
    Then you can do what ever you like, and it should work just fine... right???

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2006-08-16 21:32
    Jeff, that sounds like it would do the trick nicely! (now I am very excited) I would be willing to forget about only overwriting a portion of the eeprom in trade for a simple solution like that! I can always push the data I wanted in that part later, with my code since my propeller code accepts data via the connection anyway..

I'll try and wait patiently.... try... =)
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-08-16 22:12
    For those interested in the Delphi code, Borland will be releasing a free version of Delphi next month.

See www.turboexplorer.com/ for more info.
    edited 2006-08-16 22:58
    Thanks Kevin, I'll be sure to check that out..

Jeff, any chance of that little utility providing any feeback for the calling application? As for progress, success, etc..? I'd love to be able to show a progress bar during the process. Maybe an activeX component? too much to ask? I'll stop... =)
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-08-17 00:38
    Kevin Wood said...
    For those interested in the Delphi code, Borland will be releasing a free version of Delphi next month.

See www.turboexplorer.com/ for more info.

Oooh, more free programming software. I got the free Visual Studio 2005 last month from Microsoft. I will definitely check this out. Thanks for the link.
  • BiblioTechBiblioTech Posts: 10
    edited 2006-08-17 01:11
    Why not use the startup procedure of the Pchip?

I was thinking of having a memory/file management program running on a PC or other platform, that communicates with the Pchip when it starts(the Pchip powers on) and loads operating software into the Pchip. This puts the Pchip device into a slave like mode, with all the management software running in ram. The computer end of the software is the GUI, status display and communicator, it operates in a master like mode. If a file needs to be added to the Pchip device the "master program"configures the data into Pchip form then requests the Pchip("slave") to download and store it.

... this is theory now but my Prop just arived!

I jumped for joy and now must get back to my point.

The device (a book reader) I am designing will have read only access to its memory(except where local/private data is generated by the Pchip). The reader will only be able to display, via an internal or external mem card, the selected page. In order for data to be added or removed from the internal memory another computer is used in a master(PC)/ slave(Pchip) relationship.

But central to this is the ability to leverage the power up sequence like the IDE does, by presenting a comms interface on P30-31 and dumping the Pchip half of the file/memory management software into ram. While connected the computer GUI is "driving" the Pchip device and when done blocks the comms interface while restarting the Pchip from EEprom into its limited read only display mode.

So could you use a similar system to froce the update through the Pchip power on sequence. like:
    Run the update("master") program on a computer. connect the Pchip(via USB?), power up the Pchip.
    Finds comms on P30 and P31.
    Load the Pchip with a version check, inform the "master" of the current version and wait, if a new version is available the update program sends it from the PC and writes it to EEprom.
    Block the comms(PC) and restart the Pchip.

I'm looking at this as a way to limit user interaction while allowing(without having to include the code on the Pchip) greater functionality in concert with another computer.

For what it's worth.
    Frans...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Read a book, under a lamp and think what it took to get here.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-08-17 02:22
    Also, again on the subject of Delphi, you can download a couple of free pdfs called Essential Pascal & Essential Delphi from Marco Cantu's website. He authored several Delphi books.

Here is the link: www.marcocantu.com

They are enough to help you translate Delphi code, or begin developing with Delphi.

The Pascal one in particular should also help with understanding Spin, since some of the syntax is similar.
    edited 2006-08-17 12:07
    Hi Jeff
    Jeff Martin said...
    I've been thinking of making a Propeller Loader program (similar to the Stamp Loader for the BASIC Stamps) that would solve this problem. Just haven't done it yet no one has asked for it and there are other pressing issues.
    That'd be great (I guess there are several of us asking now!) If you could do it as a DLL with progress info' reporting that should cover all bases, and not require us to use any particular programming language (though of course it would assume that the end user's on Windows, but I think that's the case with the IDE anyway isn't it?).

Any idea on timescale? Yesterday would be good tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    edited 2006-08-20 01:29
    one problem with chips loader program is it expects the target prop to be in a hardware state that is not the state that we normally have propellers
    to quote from the program
    ''This object drives the other Propeller's RESn line, so it is recommended that
    ''the other Propeller's BOEn pin be tied high and that its RESn pin be pulled
    ''to VSS with a 1M resistor to keep it on ice until showtime.

neither of these lines are in this state in the demo or the prop or the homemade pic off the forums...
    normally the boen is tied low and resn isnt tied
    is it easier to change the way the loader works, or put a slide switch in to change the 2 pins ?

dan
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-08-20 03:19
    Sawmiller,

The idea here is that the Propeller which does the loading of the other Propeller will dictate RESn in case of a brownout, just to give them one mind about power status. When the first Propeller's brownout trips, that chip will go into reset, causing its I/Os to float. It will cease driving the secondary Propeller's RESn high at that time, and the attached 1M resistor will pull it low. That way, both chips respond to the same brownout level. As long as power's good and the secondary Propeller has been loaded, it will keep running. Whenever it gets reset, it needs to be reloaded from the first again. Well, this assumes that there is no EEPROM attached to the secondary Propeller, as the program must reside in the first Propeller's EEPROM, anyway.
    Sawmiller said...
    one problem with chips loader program is it expects the target prop to be in a hardware state that is not the state that we normally have propellers
    to quote from the program
    ''This object drives the other Propeller's RESn line, so it is recommended that
    ''the other Propeller's BOEn pin be tied high and that its RESn pin be pulled
    ''to VSS with a 1M resistor to keep it on ice until showtime.

neither of these lines are in this state in the demo or the prop or the homemade pic off the forums...
    normally the boen is tied low and resn isnt tied
    is it easier to change the way the loader works, or put a slide switch in to change the 2 pins ?

dan
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-08-20 10:09
    hmmm, i think i get what you are saying... i was looking at building a prop stache using your program , and having the stache use the circut it is trying to program's voltage while it is programming the second prop... but i would want the second prop to be basicly setup the same as normal, IE having a EEPROM and being able to reboot on power loss...
    are you saying that the proploader program will act like F10 and not like F11 ?
    dan
    edited 2006-08-28 18:04
    Any updates on the utility Jeff mentioned? =)
    edited 2006-10-16 16:10
    Jeff,
    Is there any chance that loader could be used with any chip using a uart?
    (would like to use a third party chip to load the prop and eeprom and free up the pins on the prop for another app!)
    edited 2006-10-16 16:59
    Bambino,
    It's not clear just what you want. Any chip that's fast enough to produce a continuous stream of asynchronous output and has enough memory to hold a program to be downloaded should work for downloading to a Propeller. Downloading to RAM is much slower than booting from EEPROM although you have to do this only once after power up. It would be really easy to add an I2C I/O expander like the MCP23008 or PCF9554 or PCF8574 none of which require any extra parts.

Alternatively, you could use two quad transmission gates like the MC14016 to disconnect the four pins (28-31) from your external circuitry for a second or two (using a 555 to stretch the Propeller's reset signal) and connect them to the serial line and EEPROM. That way you could still use the Propeller's boot loader, yet really have the 4 pins to use for external control.
    Mike
    edited 2006-10-17 13:12
    Mike,

I finnally got my propeller in yesterday and I am eager to start milling a board for it. What I want to do is download the code from the IDE into a dsp33 from uCHIP and have the Prop read in the program from the dsp's I2C line as if it were eeprom. Then reprogram pins 32 - 29 for control of a 16 bit bus between the two.

Unless someone can confirm that this has worked before I plan to use jumpers in the four lines to configure the switch between my idea and the prop demo schematic version and then just use an eight-bit bus instead.

What I am afraid of is: Does the IDE have to confirm there is a propeller on the serial line before it will download? ( as I may not be able to fool the IDE into believing a 16 bit dsp Processor is a bonified propeller.
    edited 2006-10-17 14:49
    Bambino,
    Yes, the IDE makes the device on the other end of the serial line jump through some hoops before it will actually download. The code that Chip posted gives the details, but, basically, the PC sends some calibration information, then a pseudo-random bit sequence which the Propeller has to acknowledge/echo, then the Propeller continues the pseudo-random bit sequence for a while, and finally provides its version number, all within about 50ms. The Baud required is 115200. I imagine the dsp33 can do this. I've been trying to get the Propeller to download from the IDE using some other I/O pins and haven't been able to get it to work, but I'm also using a Mac to emulate a PC to run the Propeller Tool and timing on the PC end is marginal.
    Mike