Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hydra "Pic of the Day" Video Journal Start - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Hydra "Pic of the Day" Video Journal Start

2»

Comments

• Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2006-08-08 13:18
    AndreL,

Thanks for all the hard work ! Can't wait to start with Hydra.

Rob7
  • FynchFynch Posts: 8
    edited 2006-08-08 16:41
    So are you going to keep on selling the Xgamestation or is the Hydra replacing it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Other forums I frequent: Briel Computers: brielcomputers.com/forums
    Applefritter: applefritter.com
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2006-08-08 19:24
    Of course, we are going to keep selling the XGS, its a completely different product. The XGS is about hardware and learning how to design your own game console. The hydra is about programming the propeller in a cool application.

Andre'
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2006-08-08 19:31
    AndraL,

I visited the xgamestation and looked at the Hydra Prototype 0.2. Very cool,·at
    http://www.xgamestation.com/media.php
    When will you think this will be ready for sale? The print say's In development for parallax???

Rob 7
    edited 2006-08-08 19:40
    The book on the Hydra is last component of the assets. The book draft will be done by early next week, then we begin the author review process, once that's done then all the assets are complete. The hydra is coming back from manufacturing this week or next. So we have the hydra, the book, the games, software, assets, media, and packaging (almost done as well). Then we put it all together and make the product (parallax does this part). So very soon. And the last question, Nurve designed and developed the hydra and all the pieces, Parallax is manufacturing and distributing it. Basically, we wanted to make something that uses the Propeller to show off what it could do in a fun and interesting way, so that's why I made the Hydra out of it.

Andre'
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-08-08 20:38
    Andre,

Where did the name come from?

-Parsko
    edited 2006-08-08 21:06
    Well, before the Pchip had a name, we were all thinking of names for the chip. I wanted to call it the "Hydra" or something related to "speed" and velocity, but parallax wanted to go with something a little less edgy and Chip liked "Propeller". Anyway, when I decided to build a game system for the chip, I then decided to use "Hydra" to name the system. The obvious motivation for the name is that a hydra is a multiheaded creature and the pchip has multiple cores and it just sounds cool. So that's how I came up with it. Originally, I even had artwork on the PCB with a hydra image, but it was too hard to make out, so I deleted it.

Andre'
    edited 2006-08-11 06:10
    A couple more·random screen shots for the "Hydra pic of the day journal" blog...

Andre'
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-08-11 16:38
    Andre,
    What percentage of your time are you programming the game vs. 'testing' the game? cool.gif
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-08-11 18:04
    Andre,
    Does the hydra have any video "assist" hardware (like the delay lines on the XGS) ? Or is it just resistors from the Propeller pins ?

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think" Christopher Robin to Pooh
    ·
    edited 2006-08-11 18:46
    The video is directly from the propeller. The XGS hardware helped generate the color phase shift which saved the inner timing loop in software and why the XGS can do so much color. But, in the case of the propeller it already has the phase shift and serializer, so no need to add any hardware.

Andre