Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Have robot, get distance traveled? — Parallax Forums

Have robot, get distance traveled?

andrew777andrew777 Posts: 25
edited 2006-07-09 23:13 in Robotics

The Group:

Even though I am a novice I am finishing up my robot but I have one part to do. I am using a DC motor, H- bridge USdigital H5S-500 encoder and a pwmpal to power and control my robot.

Everything works except I haven't connected the encoder to the pwmpal. I have purchased a LS7183 encoder to counter interface chip that takes standard A and B quadrature incremental encoder it outputs two standard up/down counters. I want to use the counters on the pwmpal to determine odometry or distance traveled backwards and forwards.

A switch on P8 controls the motor. P12 is the pwm output channel. P9 is the A UpClk counter P10 is the B DownClk.

I need help with the final part of the project. The LS7183 can vary the low level pulse width by resistors value 500ns to 142us ,1000khz-.3.5khz , the resolution of the encoder can set 500 min.to 2000 max. cpr

Some sample pwmpal code would be helpful when it comes to the counters for the encoder and the odometry. I hope that I am explaining the problem in a clear way.

Thanks,

Andrew777