Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropCAM: A Propeller imaging camera AVAILABLE NOW! - Page 10 — Parallax Forums

PropCAM: A Propeller imaging camera AVAILABLE NOW!

Comments

• P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2008-06-01 20:28
    Haven't had time, but I heard it wasn't very good. Isn't it just to show colors, not with textures to make pictures? What I want is a camera with color pictures and good resolution, not necessarily for processing by a microcontroller, just something I can display on a small screen. The PropCAM processes it, but is it possible to just set it at the correct size and send the picture through an rc transmitter to the screen and display it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Pi Guy
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-06-01 20:59
    No, it doesn't work that way.

Do a web search for "wireless rc tv". You'll find all sorts of wireless video setups for sale.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-06-01 21:00
    The wireless cams I was referring to can be shown on a small screen like the 2.5" screens Parallax sell. As for saving then cheap digital camcorders or pocket DVRs could be used as they often include a video in port.

Graham
    edited 2008-06-01 23:51
    Could I attach something like this to a smaller screen? Also, is there a way to add sound to it, like maybe transmitting it using a propeller? I wouldn't have any idea how to do it if it is possible, but at least it is a start.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Pi Guy

Post Edited (I LIKE PI) : 6/2/2008 9:17:09 PM GMT
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2008-06-02 09:43
    That is exactly the type of camera I was talking about when I made my original suggestion, the receiver outputs ntsc/pal video which can feed in to small screens like the one from parallax. Ebay is full of wireless cameras like this, some even have sound as standard.

Graham

p.s. You have given your black text a black background, not helpful.
    edited 2008-06-02 21:10
    Sorry, I can see it normally on my own setting. I'll change it for you. Too bad I don't know what is making it black.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Pi Guy

Post Edited (I LIKE PI) : 6/2/2008 9:18:34 PM GMT
  • M. K. BorriM. K. Borri Posts: 279
    edited 2008-09-02 07:13
    I have a VERY alpha implementation... http://forums.parallax.com/forums/?f=25&m=290393&g=290545 the pinout is in the spin file

EDIT: Ouch, didn't see the date... sorry for the thread necromancy [noparse]:([/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=650217

meow, i have my own topic now? (sorta)
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-08-11 22:21
    attachment.php?attachmentid=103297&d=1376284721
    edited 2013-08-11 23:16
    I don't believe it....

aren't those the costco ziplock bags?

:smile:

Only kidding. If this isn't a hoax, then congratulations, Phil.
    Can you share any more details - frame rate? Can we use two on a mobo for stereo vision (one image would be upside down)?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-08-12 03:44
    WoW! That's great Phil!

Only 7 years in the making :)
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-08-12 06:24
    Congratulations, and darn it. There goes my excuse for having unfinished projects. I have often consoled myself when I haven't finished a project with "Well, even Phil has his PropCAM".

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a lot of work to do (finishing projects).

Very, very cool Phil.
    edited 2013-08-12 12:11
    Phil,

Will these be available at a theater near you, (us), soon.
    edited 2013-08-12 12:37
    Okay, enough of the tease, I guess. Here's the scoop:
    1) This will be a limited edition of 1500 units total. The reason is that Kodak discontinued the sensor, and I bought all that I could get my hands on, which was 1500.

2) Of the first run of 500 assembled units, I've received 100 so far.

3) I have 300 lenses in stock, so will have to order more from China soon. The next batch of lenses will probably be a little different from the first batch. That's just the way the China lens market works. But I will buy 1200 this time to finish the 1500.

4) I do the final assembly (i.e. install the lens), then test and package each unit here.

5) The module will plug directly into both the Propeller Backpack and the Spinneret. The sensor interfaces in both parallel and serial modes. The Backpack can take advantage of both; the Spinneret is serial only. I have drivers for 4-bit parallel, and 4-, 5-, and 6-bit serial.

6) What I have not done yet is to write the documentation. As long as the weather stays nice -- and we're having a spectacular summer here for a change -- that will get delayed a little bit, as will product shipment.

-Phil
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2013-08-12 12:48
    So how do we order one (or two)? Will they be available through P-lax or Bueno Systems?

Doc
    edited 2013-08-12 12:50
    Enjoy the weather while you can. I spent a year in Seattle, and I know you have to get our while it's good.

Looking forward to the new product.
    edited 2013-08-12 12:50
    doggiedoc wrote:
    Will they be available through P-lax or Bueno Systems?
    Parallax has expressed an interest in carrying them, and the modules have been assigned a Parallax part number; but I don't expect any kind of commitment until I've provided them with samples, drivers, and documentation. In the event that Parallax does carriy them, they will be the exclusive source.

-Phil
    edited 2013-08-12 12:52
    =doggiedoc;1200706]So how do we order one (or two)? Will they be available through P-lax or Bueno Systems?

Doc

Looks like it has a Parallax part number of #28320.

I guess we will have to wait for Emily to announce it.

Ooops Phil responded while I did.
    Parallax has expressed an interest in carrying them, and the modules have been assigned a Parallax part number; but I don't expect any kind of commitment until I've provided them with samples, drivers, and documentation. In the event that Parallax carries them, that will be the exclusive source.
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2013-08-12 15:26
    EDIT: Ouch, didn't see the date... sorry for the thread necromancy

Just as an aside, thread necromancy (great term!) doesn't seem to be a concern here, unlike most forums. The past is full of great ideas, and some take a long time to gestate.
  • KyeKye Posts: 2,200
    edited 2013-08-12 16:50
    Phil,

Please see this software I made for the CMUcam4: http://cmucam.org/boards/7/topics/2072

The driver code in the software bundle should let you get 30 FPS out of your camera easily with some nice operations for people to use. It should be easy for you to modify my driver to support your camera.

Here's the project link I wrote the code for: http://cmucam.org/projects/cmucam4/wiki/Low_Power_Motion_Detection -> See the M3 driver version.

Thanks,
    edited 2013-08-12 18:15
    Thanks, Kwabena! I'll be sure to take a look at your driver software. I know I'll be able to derive some benefit from it!

So far, I've got 4-bit parallel, and 4-, 5-, and 6-bit serial drivers for the PropCAM. All can work at real-time speeds, putting grayscale pixel data into an image buffer which overlays the TV.spin driver at either 1:1 or 2:1 scale. Grayscale output is done via DUTY-mode driving one of the TV output pins. (The Propeller Backpack allows this to be done in a way that minimizes NTSC color artifacts.) There is also a 4-bit grayscale image processor which can be used for object recognition and tracking, along with image generation in the grayscale buffer. Finally, I've got code that generates BMP output on the fly for use with the Spinneret to use as a snapshot webcam.

What I am missing is streaming video from the Spinneret. 'Not sure how to do that yet. :)

-Phil
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2013-08-12 18:33
    Phil I know it's been awhile but I went back and started reading this thread again and quit about page 5. Can you say which sensor your using and is the datasheet available for it without having to sign a NDA?
    edited 2013-08-12 18:42
    Yes, the sensor is the Kodak KAC-9630 (n
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2013-08-12 18:46
    Thanks Phil. Now I have a good reason to get a Prop backpack. Please put me down for one of these if Parallax decides not to sell them.
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2013-08-12 20:03
    Phil,

Nice work... as usual:)

I know that the answer is probably going to be "no," but I just have to ask: would it be possible to get a 1d or 2d array of these on a single board?

I realize that it is very difficult to speculate on using this unit with the Prop2... but I noticed in the specs that it is capable of 500+ frames per second and in one of your answers in this thread you give a theoretical limit based on overhead... so would you please speculate on two things... 1)... how many cameras could the Prop2 support. And for a single camera with a Prop2, what would the maximum frame rate most probably be(ballpark speculation)?

Does the PropCam use the serial pixel bus, part of the digital data bus or the entire digital data bus of the KAC-9630?

I hope that I will be able to order a Spinneret/PropCam combo, at a modest savings. I will need two... so the savings could start with a minimum order of 2:)

Thanks for your hard work. I'm looking forward to the documentation.

Rich
    edited 2013-08-12 20:49
    rjo__ wrote:
    ... would it be possible to get a 1d or 2d array of these on a single board?
    There's no reason you couldn't create an array of the modules yourself. They are 1.35" square. I do not plan on creating such a board myself, though, unless I get back to the MoBoProp project.
    how many cameras could the Prop2 support. And for a single camera with a Prop2, what would the maximum frame rate most probably be(ballpark speculation)?
    I have no idea, but I doubt that the Prop2 would be any faster than the Prop1 for a single sensor, since the sensor's pixel clock is fixed at 10 MHz. However, it might be able to support more of them and could certainly buffer frames of 8-bit pixels due to its larger RAM.
    Does the PropCam use the serial pixel bus, part of the digital data bus or the entire digital data bus of the KAC-9630?
    It uses the upper four bits of the parallel data bus, or it can use the serial bus to get as many bits per pixel as you have room to buffer.

-Phil
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2013-08-13 05:15
    Phil,
    Yeah, that camera looks pretty simple to use compared to others.
    I can't wait to get one and write some PropBasic code for it.

Bean
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2013-08-13 19:06
    Phil,

Thanks for the reply. You aren't bad at self promotion... but I gave you a lot of opportunities that you simply wasted:)

I think the sensor array is the way to get academic interest. I can scrub something up. Serial is just fine:)

Next time you undertake one of these impulsive developments... remember... I want an array of them and I don't want to mount them by hand:)

Parallax can count me in for a bag of sensors... wholesale pricing please!!!

Rich
    edited 2013-09-24 23:46
    Those of you who don't live in these parts will be happy to note that the weather here has pretty much turned to Smile. That means I spent the better part of today documenting the PropCAM's parallel driver object. The forecast is for more rain, so further documentation is surely in the offing. Yesterday, I received another 400 assembled PropCAM boards, so I now have 500 in toto but need to order more lenses from China to complete the last 200 of them.

-Phil
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2013-09-25 01:24
    Phil, does this have the full 8bit parallel port wired? What FPS have you achieved? The datasheet says it can do 580, which seems like you could only reach with 8bit parallel since that's ~7MB/s at 126x98.
    Obviously, the P1 doesn't have enough memory for more than a couple frames at most, but with some parallel ram you could possibly save a second or two of frames to play back later...
    edited 2013-09-25 10:46
    Roy,

The PropCAM can operate in either serial or parallel mode. In parallel mode, it uses the top four bits of the interface for 16 gray levels. In serial mode, all eight data bits are theoretically available, although the maximum I've written drivers for is six (64 gray levels).

Although the spec'd frame rate can be achieved by the sensor in video mode, my drivers operate in snapshot mode. With the acquisition running continuously, mediated by an autonomous Spin cog, the maximum frame rate is about 157 fps. That said, however, the same very short exposure times can be achieved in snapshot mode as in video mode. The only difference is that in snapshot mode, the exposure syncing is under control of the Propeller; in video mode, it would be under control of the sensor.

BTW, when displaying acquired frames on an NTSC monitor, the individual snapshots can be sync'd to the NTSC VSYNC signal, for a frame rate of about 33 fps. This helps to eliminate sync-related flicker on the display.

-Phil