Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sharp distance sensor — Parallax Forums

Sharp distance sensor

ouconvertouconvert Posts: 17
edited 2006-03-31 22:08 in BASIC Stamp
gp2d12 , Im having problems hooking this sensor up. could somebody give me a good description on how to hook up pin 5 and 3 to the potentiometer?· how are all three connected?

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-03-31 04:03
    Ouconvert -

My GP2D12 data sheet nly shows 3 connections, as listed below:

Pin 1 Vo = Analog voltage output

Pin 2 GND = Ground

Pin 3 Vcc = Power+

The only pot (if one exists at all on the device) is used for adjusting the distance range. I forget which Sharp units have adjustment pots and which do not - sorry. FWIW, I have attached my Sharp GP2D12 data sheet for your convenience.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • ouconvertouconvert Posts: 17
    edited 2006-03-31 05:15
    can i just plug that into the bs2 than? I thought I needed the analog to DC converter. thats were I was getting the pot from was wiring up that analog to dc converter. If i dont need it than great...do i need it?
    edited 2006-03-31 07:28
    Ouconvert -

Sorry, you didn't mention an ADC in your original post. Here is a Nuts and Volts Column (atttached) written by Jon Williams which lays it all out for you.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • ouconvertouconvert Posts: 17
    edited 2006-03-31 16:54
    my question is about the last attachment, the schematic of the ADC shows the pot going from +5 to ground and than pin 5 and 3 are attached to it. Im confused how the 5 and 3 are attached to it. im a dummy at schematics and a dummy on wiring things so if you could explain in words how that is hooked up that would be great.
    edited 2006-03-31 22:08
    Ouconvert -

You need to start from a central point, and work outwards, or at least thet's how I do it. The central point here in this discussion is the potentiometer (variable resistance), which you seemed to be able to identify from a prior post.

A potentiometer has three connection points. One connection point it the wiper (W), shown as the connection with the ARROW in the schematic. The other two connection points are the ends of the fixed resistor (F+, F-) and are the other two points on the symbol which has a 2.55 V indication next to it in the diagram.

View the potentiometer as though it was the letter "T". The top left and top right sides are the F+ and F- terminals respectively, and the base of of the "T" is the wiper (W) contact. Now we attach the left side of the "T" (F+) to the +5 VDC supply. The right side of the "T" (F-) goes to the GROUND terminal. The wiper (W) is connected to Pin 5 (Vref) of the ADC. Lastly, we also connect Pin 3 (Vin -) to the right side (F-) of the potentiometer. Now there are two wires on the right (F-) side of the potentiometer, and you're done.

I hope that's what you were looking for.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->