Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Guts Download - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Guts Download

2»

Comments

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-02-25 15:40
    Well said Tracy. Actually, Kudo's to the Gracey clan. Their dad for raising them right and helping with the BS2sx/p etc programming, Chip for his controller innovation, and Ken for business skill, innovative products, and smart marketing to the educational arena!!

And of course to Andy Lindsey for his application support and fine texts! To Jeff Martin for his great programming and application use, to Ari, Stephanie, Jen, Rich, Lynette, Paul, Erik (moved on, but...) and so many others I've forgotten their names at Parallax who have helped introduce so many great products and materials!

May they read this sometime [noparse]:)[/noparse]

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel

Disclaimer: ANY Propeller statements made by me are subject to my inaccurate understanding of my limited time with it!
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale -Electronic Systems Technologies
    Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    and SelmaWare Solutions - StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control

Post Edited (Martin Hebel) : 2/25/2006 3:50:50 PM GMT
  • Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2006-02-25 18:44
    I can only agree, I had the chance metting all three of them while visiting Parallax for the Propeller training and introduction. But Parallax is more than the "Gracey Clan" - it is the perfect match of all the people working together at Parallax - all of them highly motivated, knowledgeable with many various talents, very supportive, and always being so kind.

I can only say that I highly enjoyed the stay at Parallax, and learning about the amazing new Propeller was just the final cherry on the cake!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
  • gibbmangibbman Posts: 98
    edited 2006-02-26 01:28
    OK, I can't stand it. This new far East Coastaholic acolyte will be in Monterey in July attending a GIS session at the MATE conference. (Sorry for the acronyms, it doesn't matter). How far from Monterey to Rocklin?

Jim, dreaming it's only an hour or so....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    In the end, it seems that it's all about getting the LEDs to blink....
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-02-26 03:23
    Looks a little further than that!· That's below San Jose and we're east-northeast of Sacramento.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-02-26 16:13
    Yep, according to Google Maps it's about a 3 hour, 40 minute drive.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-02-26 16:26
    So you guys are near Grass Valley, California?

California is a bit long for a state [noparse][[/noparse]Texas is just huge, and Alaska is 1/3 of the U.S.A.].
    From top to bottom is about 14 hours driving time [noparse][[/noparse]Hilt, California to San Diego, Calfornia].

If you are flying in, you will either land in San Jose, San Francisco, or Oakland.
    San Francisco/Oakland is a lot closer [noparse][[/noparse]about 2 hours].·

You might be able to catch a flight into or from Sacramento that would make it easier.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 2/26/2006 4:29:48 PM GMT
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-02-26 16:55
    Yes, pretty close to Grass Valley -- in fact, I think a couple employees live there.

Why not fly into Sacramento International Airport? When I was living in Dallas I took direct flights between DFW and SMF; now that I live in SoCal I just jump on the 5 and push the right-most pedal to the floor! tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2009-02-24 15:26
    Ken,

I was just looking to re-download this document, and it took me a bit to find (and remember the name!!!!).

Can you officially place this on the Propeller Downloads section??? Maybe make it "AN002"?

Thanks,

-Parsko

Post Edited (parsko) : 2/24/2009 3:33:52 PM GMT
  • TreeLabTreeLab Posts: 138
    edited 2009-02-24 17:58
    Ken;

Thanks for the documentation, but my machine downloaded a PDF document dated from 2006, and it looks familiar. Is this correct?

Cheers!
    Paul Rowntree
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2009-02-24 18:04
    Indeed, this is an old thread from 2006. For some reason the forum software thinks I posted this thread yesterday. The IT Guy is trying to figure out why the forums are acting up again. The PDF is dated information. Refer to the Propeller Manual instead.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2009-02-24 18:29
    Now that just makes my day.· Not the error, that's pedestrian, but the many Wow, this is just what I've been looking for! responses.· I'll grin for weeks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i@arrl.net
    edited 2009-02-24 18:47
    Ken,

I don't think the PASSY multiply, divide, and root functions are documented anywhere else. People regularly refer to this document for those looking for those exact routines (like me today).

Can we incorporate these assy routines into the manual, or add this to the application notes section?

Thanks,

-Parsko
  • TreeLabTreeLab Posts: 138
    edited 2009-02-24 18:55
    @Carl : I had a similar initial reaction, but I think the Forum software is telling lies about the date stamps. Many of the responses shown as today and yesterday were not posted at these times (or at least, according to the personal info supplied by this same troublesome forum software!). By and large, the people involved with this forum are pretty much on top of things.

Cheers!
    Paul ROwntree
  • Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
    edited 2009-02-24 19:06
    Ken,

I love the writing style. It's simple and succinct, without committing omitting complex ideas.

That's a keeper!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2009-02-24 19:37
    @parsko- I'm alerting Jeff to this request since he's got the Propeller Manual under revision.
    @JHM - it was written by Chip.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
    edited 2009-02-24 19:53
    Ken,

Since I can't include it in PM, I'll post it here. It's relevant to your last post. See attached...

I figured out how long each routine would take. For anyone doing any timing critical math routines, these estimates may help. They are for WORST cast scenarios (some loops can be faster dependent on the flag results).

Summary:
    multiply : 212 clocks max. At 80MHz, that is 2.65us, or 377358Hz.
    divide : 208 clocks max. At 80MHz, that is 2.6us, or 382615Hz.
    root : 660 clocks max. At 80MHz, that is 8.3us, or 120481Hz.

I think I added them up correctly...

-Parsko
  • Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
    edited 2009-02-25 00:50
    Parkso,

Thanks for the precise timing information.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH
  • Does anyone have a copy of this file or an alternate download, please? The file comes down broken.
  • This was a very early document. I'm pretty sure it's been subsumed by the Propeller datasheet and the Propeller Manual, both of which are available from the Propeller Tool in the Help menu.

-Phil
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    Here is my copy with a slightly different filename.
    It's my preferred document to find lowlevel informations very fast.

Andy
  • Does anyone have a copy of this file or an alternate download, please? The file comes down broken.
    Sure! \o/
  • Thank you all for getting back to me. I agree that the manual and datasheet are comprehensive documents, but this document has been cited on many threads and I thought it couldn't hurt to have another perspective.
    Time to put on the coffee and dig in. :-D