Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 OEM "LITE" Schematics - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

BS2 OEM "LITE" Schematics

2»

Comments

• ECSimsECSims Posts: 19
    edited 2008-01-23 02:32
    Thanks for the info on the Prop Plug and Prop Clip.·· If I incorporate the OEM components of FTDI on the PCB, then I would also like to tap the 5V USB power supply to run the BS2.·· Do you have any sucess stories to point me to, where this was done sucessfully?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-01-23 15:33
    Hello,

Are you saying you want to run the BS2 off the 5V from the USB port? Typically this is something I would recommend against if you’ll be drawing any significant amount of current from the supply. The USB port only supplies ~100 mA to any generic device plugged into the port. If the device is a high-current device it can request up to 500 mA from the port, but the FTDI device driver does not register it as a high-current device, so the total would be ~100 mA. If your design was low-power you could tap the 5V line, however, if you are driving LEDs or anything that draws current from the pins you should factor that into total current draw (including the FTDI chip). One recommendation I would make if you’re going to embed the FTDI chip for the BS2 is to select the 5V line for VCCIO instead of the 3.3V line. Typically it wouldn’t make much difference since the I/O lines on the schematic have inline resistors on them, but it makes sense since you’re running a 5V system. The Prop Plug is configured by default for 3.3V operation. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-01-23 21:55
    The simple answer is no. It's not impossible to do, but it takes special equipment and know how and is very very hard.
  • high-techgaragehigh-techgarage Posts: 12
    edited 2009-07-14 01:35
    Hate to bump an old thread, but this is the closest one I could find. I tried modifying this to work with the SX. I had a hell of a time soldering the SSOP to the adapter and fear I may have fried the chip. The USB2SER finds my BS2 in the carrier, but won't find my breadboarded SX. Is there a way to figure out if I fried the chip? What will too much heat do to the chip?

I used to solder up SOIC packages by hand all the time; SSOP is PITA!

Thanks
    edited 2009-07-14 03:44
    Hello,

The through-hole and SMD version of the interpreter have different pinouts. Are you sure you have them wired properly according to the type? These schematics are for the TH versions, and you can get a pinout of the SMD version by looking at the schematic to the BS2 Module itself. Does this help? Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2009-07-14 14:44
    high-techgarage said...
    Hate to bump an old thread, but this is the closest one I could find. I tried modifying this to work with the SX. I had a hell of a time soldering the SSOP to the adapter and fear I may have fried the chip. The USB2SER finds my BS2 in the carrier, but won't find my breadboarded SX. Is there a way to figure out if I fried the chip? What will too much heat do to the chip?

I used to solder up SOIC packages by hand all the time; SSOP is PITA!

I've soldered quite a few of these style chips by hand and they have all worked out well. Can you post a picture of your module? It isn't completely clear how you have things setup and connected. We also need to know how it is wired up since the pinouts are different on some of the package styles.

If you were using an OEM Stamp based on the SX48 processor you could use one of my boards mentioned in the thread below to mount the chip:

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=5&m=366382

Instead of using a MAX232 for programming you could just jumper across where the MAX232 is normally mounted and then connect a USB2SER where the pins come out of the board.

Robert
    edited 2009-07-14 23:13
    I am using the drawing from the Rev F SX module for the interpreter chip and the diagrams on the first page of this post. I can draw up what I have on the breadboard (or take a picture of the breadboard). The soldering is really ugly; a copper trace even pulled up off the board. I've checked for continuity between the DIP adapter board and the SSOP and all pins are connected. There are no solder bridges either. I'm fairly confident I toasted it. I'll get a schematic shortly.

Thanks!!!
    edited 2009-07-29 03:48
    Here's what my breadboard looks like now. I've tried about a thousand different combinations, but haven't gotten it yet... I'm certain the J1 programming port is the part that's mixed up. I fixed the solder bridges, but am wondering if the problems I had during soldering may have FUBARed it. Please help! I really hope this chip isn't toast...I have so many projects to do...

Thanks
    edited 2009-07-29 20:28
    At a quick glance your schematic doesn't handle echo. Without it the BASIC Stamp Editor will not continue to attempt communication to it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-07-29 22:22
    I didn't show it on the schematic, but my homemade cable has pin6 (DSR) and pin7 (RTS) tied together. I know the cable works because I've used it with a BS2 that I breadboarded (same for the serial to USB adapter).

I'm guessing the chip is toast? shakehead.gif
    edited 2009-07-30 19:52
    What you describe are the connections for loopback. However there is no resistor providing feedback from the SIN line back to SOUT. Please refer to the original schematics posted in this thread to see what I am referring to.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2011-07-08 15:11
    @Chris Savage
    Thank you. As a note to everyone (in case I didn’t mention it above), you can also use the Prop Plug or Prop Clip in place of the USB2SER.

I noticed on the Propeller Proto Board that USB2SER is wired differently than the PropPlug. I am assuming that schematic 1 of OEM Lite should mirror these differences if I intend to use the PropPlug. I realize it is probably a very stupid question, but I just want to be certain :)

Bruce
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-07-08 16:03
    I've used the Prop Plug to program some of the OEM BASIC Stamp chips. Here is a post that talks about it:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?127147-BASIC-Stamp-DEV-boards-based-on-OEM-chips-and-SX28-48-Protoboards

Robert
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2011-07-08 16:14
    @Robert

Thanks for your reply and it looks like nice work. However here is the circuit that I intend to make with very few modifications. I just need a very small board to drive a stepper.

Bruce
    782 x 522 - 58K
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-07-08 18:09
    I didn't show it on the schematic, but my homemade cable has pin6 (DSR) and pin7 (RTS) tied together. I know the cable works because I've used it with a BS2 that I breadboarded (same for the serial to USB adapter).

shakehead.gif

OMG, I just realized that my homemade BS2 cable will PERFECTLY fit a PICAXE 18M2. Is this my final test of the dark side? http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?125692-BYO-Board-amp-Cable&highlight=byo+board
  • G McMurryG McMurry Posts: 134
    edited 2015-04-06 14:25
    Here is a schematic from one of my old projects that used BS2 OEM. I don't remember how I came up with all of it. I must have seen it used somewhere. In particular, I don't know why I used the signal diode and the 4k7 resistor. I do know, that it worked fine... Maybe this will help you.

Greg