Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Music with Synced Lights... - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Music with Synced Lights...

2»

Comments

• Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-01-19 22:09
    Well, the LP2950's arrived today... Now to get some sockets (darn they are small) and to build the first two circuits...
    There has got to be a better way to make an address decoder. 41 IC's to build a 16 bit decoder...
    Hmmm... drop that to 12 bits and it reduces to 16 IC's... there HAS got to be a better way...
    I discovered this chip, at: http://www.glolab.com/encdec/gl/gl116.html
    The only issue I can see using this chip as a decoder and data latch is the unknown baud rate... (or any other things about the communications)... but for $12.00...
    any one have other ideas for a 12 bit address decoder (the idea is to set the address with either jumpers or dip switches), and for it to respond to that address only...
    any opions anyone?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket
    KK
    ·
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-01-19 23:21
    Yeah, sockets don't exist for the CSP package (at least that Im aware of), do you plan on dead-bugging it, or designing an adapter board?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
    edited 2006-01-20 14:29
    I'm not sure.... there has to be some way they mount these things on a board... and my old eyes don't see that well.. [noparse]:)[/noparse] Time to do some more research...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-01-20 15:11
    Well, if your eyesight aint what it used to be, dead-bugging may be a little much for you, it requires significant hand-eye coordination, and is best done with 3 hands, one to hold the chip, one to hold the wire and one to hold the iron. If you are a little patient I can whip up an adapter board for you, the board I am laying out out now for another member is nearly done (only have to route the address setting pins for the 12 chips (24 traces in all), but of course those are the most problematic traces to lay). Im hoping to complete it sometime this weekend if my gf doesn't complain too much about me being in front of the computer.

Even with the adapter board, it will take a little skill mounting the chip to the board. Do you own an illuminated freestanding magnifying glass and a fine tip for your iron?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
    edited 2006-01-23 20:35
    Paul...
    I will trade you something for two such completed adapters...
    Hmmm... I could send you that something and the two chips in exchange for the two chips to return in a mounting...
    Your call... PM me if your so inclined...
    And no, neither do I have the 'hand eye' like I had, nor do I have the equipment to do the job with...

Every one..
    I have once again managed to over design the project. Heck, it was gonna cost over 100 USD just for the chips and such, not including the SSR's end of things. Bringing it up to over $270 per 16 port board. The totals were impressive tho... 4096 addresses, each address with 16 ports... sweet... well, I'm washing that down some, in attempt to lower the cost per address... more to come...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·