Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using the BasicStamps at 3.3 volts for low power consumption — Parallax Forums

Using the BasicStamps at 3.3 volts for low power consumption

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2005-11-14 09:17 in BASIC Stamp
First, I know this is a pretty advanced question.·
{I am trying to build remote location nodes that would use 3.3 Volt RS-485 drivers with a BasicStamp.· I would like to extend battery life to the extreme.}

Second,I do understand that to use the Stamp at a lower voltage would require that ALL the logic that interfaces it would require the ability to perform at the lower voltage I/0.

Having said all that, it seems to me that by not using the on-board regulator and providing a 3.3 volt supply, I could significantly reduce the power consumption of the BasicStamp [noparse][[/noparse]any BasicStamp?].

Will it work?

Is there something I have overlooked?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-11-13 10:43
    George·-

Yes, I fear there·is a good deal that you have overlooked. Rather than go into the details, which might well fill a small book, please find attached the MicroChip Applications Note Number 522 which deals with designing for low power consumption. There should be enough reasons in there to show that it can't be done easily, since we, the end users, have no control over how the underlying microprocessor (MicroChip PIC or Ubicom SX) was programmed by Parallax, nor should we have such control. Although I didn't attempt to seek it out, I'm sure there is a similar Ubicom Applications Note dealing with designing for low power
    operation.

Since I don't think the following two items are covered in the text cited above, and one also needs to consider these following two COMMON microprocessor support circuits when varying the operational voltage being used, I include the following below.·I won't go into specific detail however, and leave that for the reader to determine:

POR: power-on reset - Keeps the microprocessor in a stable and controlled reset state, unless or until the design voltage is met and stabilizes.

B-O: brown-out protection - Causes the microprocessor to cease operation, or causes it to enter the reset state, if or when the supply voltage falls below design levels.

Note: The POR and B-O circuitry may be internal or external to the microprocessor, depending on the particular microprocessor platform being used.

Suffice to say also, the there is _always_ a finite trade-off between higher processor speeds and lower power consumption. One can't have one's cake and eat it too, in most cases! The hardware thrust for any interpreter based language is to p-u-m-p the underlying processor as hard and as fast as one possibly can, within the appropriate design limitations.·This push-for-speed (vice minimal power consumption considerations) is to re-gain some throughput performance which is always lost, and which is always inherent, when using any interpretive language. That's "just the nature of the beast", so to speak. PBASIC is such an interpretive language.

Even beyond that mentioned here and in the attached applications note, there are quite a few more considerations as well, but those noted above should be enough to shy you away from such a 5.0 VDC --> 3.3 VDC plan. Sorry if I ruined your day.

Just as a brief aside, there are some processors which support a CORE voltage and a separate operational voltage. The later Intel Pentium chips provide such an example. In those cases, the CPU CORE voltage (the greatest consumer of power) is separated from the (shall I say) "peripheral" voltage(s), and they can and often are, vastly different.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-11-13 13:29
    Bruce,
    I took a look at the PIC notes. From what I understand of the SX-Ubicom, it will handle 3.3 and much lower fine. It seems that the Interpreter chip would be the primary problem, if any at all. The oscillator will function and consume less power.

Most of what you mention {Power on reset and Brown Out] are well presented in the SX-Ubicom literature. Brown-out is an option provided for devices that become unreliable at a high specification than the SX, thus creating garbage in - garbage out.

From looking at the PDF, I see that most batteries are charted down to 0.8 volts. 4 ni-cads start at 4.8 volts and are pretty dead at 3.2volts. Why should I be using a regulator that dumps 30% of the battery power in heat and requires and additional 2 ni-cads to become functional.

Additionally, I can trickle charge from a solar cell in that range quite nicely.

It seems to me that if the hardware design of BasicStamps will not currently do it, there is a possible demand for creation of a low-voltage, lower power BasicStamp.

BTW, that is Application note 606, not 522.

I need to figure out the interpreter chips power specs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2005-11-13 13:49
    Well, I cannot hurt anything by trying. I have 4.8volt rechargible NI-CAD

I looked at the PROM for the BS-24p and it is a 24CW128J. While I cannot locate a particular spec sheet on that, the generic 24C128 is good down to 2.7volts from 5.5 volts max.

I don't expect to program the BasicStamp at these voltages, I just want to see if I can reliably use it in an application.

Maxim has a 3.3volt RS-232 driver and a 3.3 RS-485 driver.· Either will allow transmit and receive to reach futher at low voltage.· Obivously, somethings just cannot work with variable power supply [noparse][[/noparse]like RC timing], but somethings can adapt.

There are 3.3volt regulators too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Kramer) : 11/13/2005 2:10:38 PM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-11-13 18:09
    Possibly, you could convince Parallax to program a low-voltage version of their 'Interpreter' chip (intended for use in OEM applications).

People have use the PIC16C57 programmed by Parallax as an Interpreter chip for OEM boards, and purchased their own external components. Parallax might have to change some fuse settings though.

And you could always burn your own SX-28 chip to use the lower voltages, using the SX/Basic. Testing might be problematic -- I think the current environment requires 5 volts. But you could build a 5-volt version, use that to test with, then create a 3.3 volt version.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-11-13 18:23
    FYI the Robolympics medal that Parallax sells at www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28099 uses 5V for programming but actually runs on (3) AAA batteries. The Robolympics medal operates as long as the voltage stays above 2.7V.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-11-13 19:27
    Using the SX chip with low supply voltage (2.7 or so) and a slow clock rate, you can get the current down to the microamp levels.
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module" Now available from Parallax for only $28.95

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module" Now available from Parallax for only·$49.95
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015

Product web site: www.sxvm.com

Those that would give up freedom for security will have neither.
    ·
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-11-13 20:11
    The reset threshold for the original BASIC Stamp 2 (and also the Stamp 1) is set by an external chip. So, you could make your PIC based OEM BS2 operate at 3.3 volts. However, the PIC16C57 (AFAIK) will not operate at full 20mhz at 3.3 volts. It would only operate at 10 mhz max, so you would have to adjust the timing of every instruction proportionally (which would save even more power, of course). There was a long thread about that some time ago. It can probably be found in the Yahoo groups archive file.

The SX based chips use the on-chip reset and brownout detection circuit, and in the BASIC Stamp 2sx, 2e, 2p, 2pe and 2px, that fuse is set to put the chip into reset at 4.2 volts. You would have to ask for a special version from Parallax to have it set at the 2.7 volt level or turned off. But, the SX chip runs at its full rated frequency all the way down to the minimum voltage.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2005-11-14 08:01
    Well, it simply does NOT work with the present set up in the BS-2p40.

So, it implies an avenue of future product development.

I am not all that surprised, but I suspect the FUSE in the SX chip is programmed for the higher Brown out voltage . It may be done that way to assure stability as the BasicStamps tend to be robust and conservative in their engineering. Or they just never considered the option.

The current BasicStamp specifications seem to indicate 4.5volts as the advertised bottom line.
    The Brown Out detector is SX-Ubicom factory default at 4.2volts, but can be lowered down to either 2.6V or 2.2V by resetting the FUSE.

In the interim, this sends me back to SX/B and SX-Key for such battery powered schemes. I was hoping to get a quicker development track with the Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2005-11-14 09:17
    One last thought......
    Since this 3.3 volt operation can only become available on the 'unregulated' side of the BasicStamp, it seems that the regulator will always be available to protect the BasicStamp when it is properly used.

So, it really seems to me that you could just reprogram the FUSE to 2.6V Brown Out and have a wonderful product improvement - extended battery range. The clock would have to remain the same.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔