Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PINK help a la networking basics - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

PINK help a la networking basics

2»

Comments

• John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2005-11-11 23:45
    Tracy Allen said...
    Using the Macintosh system 10 Terminal program, from menu FILE/CONNECT TO SERVER, I now have both ftp and telnet access to PINK. Other protocol options in Terminal are, SSH and SFTP.

Still no joy with the FINDER/GO/CONNECT TO SERVER drag and drop window.

I see the "gateway, DNS and subnet" catagories in relation to the static IP within the LAN, but I' really have no idea what those terms mean functionally. As the man said, "Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...". I understand that setting the static address within the LAN is an entirely different from DNS forwarding I will need to deal with to make a static pointer to my dynamic IP on the WAN side.

I have no direct help to offer on the Mac. I can offer the following explanation of terms:

DNS: Domain Name Service, this is a network of servers that various TCP/IP services (like ping, telnet, SMTP servers, etc.,) use to translate useful names (like forums.paralax.com) to network addresses (67.104.29.60). This should normally point at a DNS server provided by your ISP. If you have your DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) server set up "right", this should happen "automagically". If you assign IP addresses manually (fixed addresses), then you will probalby also need to set at least a primary DNS server.

subnet: this is a magic number that controls what other IP addresses the device can see. Normally it matches the "class" of address you have (255.255.255.0 for addresses like 192.168.x.x). Full discussion of the subnet is beyond the scope of this post. Basically, if the "byte" is 255, then that means your device can only see other devices where that part of the address matches. If the byte is zero, then you can see any address (in that slot, where the other bytes matc thier "mask"). Various numbers in between restrict what addresses, or range of addresses, can be seen. See www.subnetmask.info/ (and other places) for more information.

Gateway: Well, if the only devices you could see, were those that matched your IP/Netmask settings, you wouldn't get very far. The Gateway is the address that your device will go to whenever it needs to access an address that it not on it's own "subnet". This is normally a router. Then the router forwards the request, possibly with some type of address translation, and also directs any return traffic to the original device.

The above is not all inclusive, and parts may be "technically" incorrect, but I hope they help explain things at a level that helps those asking.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-11-12 00:47
    According to Apple, in OSX you only have read access to an FTP server when connecting thru the Finder. You can't copy or upload to an FTP server in the Finder. This was designed as a security feature since FTP is considered an insecure protocal because FTP passwords are sent in clear text over the network. More info here docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107415
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-11-12 03:36
    If you want more in depth info on what the numbers mean: google for info on the different class networks. Think of the Subnet mask as 'bit-wise' masking on a much higher level- the way you establish your subnet determines what 'class' your network is- the reason for this is that you can create a bunch of different 'subnets' and then you can 'gateway' them together.

It's Friday night, so that's all for now! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-11-13 05:36
    Wow,

Finally, something I might be of use for! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I don't remember who, but someone said to use the DMZ for their pink.... there are two problems with this. 1) What if you get a second PINK?... You won't have a ability to use it with the DMZ, most routers only have one DMZ. Second, the DMZ will put that device (in this case the PINK) exposed COMPLETLY to the world. It's not a good idea. If Parallax screwed up just a LITTLE bit, (Hey, it happens, I know Parallax is great, but they aren't perfect) you're PINK could be hacked, or worse. (I know of some BIOS's of standard computers that were vulnerable to certain hack attacks that could start a actual fire.) I would suggest the port forwarding method, as it gives a good amount of security.

Juist to give you an idea of ports, there are something like 65,000 of them. (Not precisely, something similiar though). When you put your PINK in the DMZ, you've allowed every last port to go to the PINK. This isn't a good idea. Only open services (Pink's, FTP, SSH, Web, etc.) to programs or devices that you trust to be able to handle that port. In other words on my Linux server running my webpages, I only have a few ports open. Not the whole mess of them. There's no point, and it's a hazard.

If anyone else has any other problems on a networking stand point, I'll do my best to help them out. All of the things previously discussed are common terms with me, and I understand all of it like it was English....however, PBasic is another story. [noparse];)[/noparse] Still trying to get used to and learn that....

Knight.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Gravity doesn't exist. The Earth sucks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Make a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
    Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Post Edited (knightofoldcode) : 11/13/2005 5:40:52 AM GMT