Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie question about clock in — Parallax Forums

Newbie question about clock in

Oper8r AlOper8r Al Posts: 98
edited 2005-07-06 07:20 in BASIC Stamp
I bought a·paralel lcd and serial driver chip some time ago on e-bay. I got the lcd working thanks to the examples I found on parallx's site. I have been trying to figure out if I could use the bs2 as a clock source for the driver chip. I have attached a pdf for the driver that I got. I have searched the forums but I'm not sure if it will work. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I ordered the crystal on line and I am waiting for delivery, but thought that the stamp would be able to work for a clock source, but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for. blush.gifSorry if this has been covered before but I am still getting my feet wet.

Alan

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-07-06 07:01
    Alan -

If by "clock source" you're speaking of X1 which is connected between OSC1 and OSC2 in the schematic, I wouldn't try to tap into the resonator of the Stamp. For the few bucks it will cost you to purchase the correct crystal or resonator, you'll be avoiding numerous headaches, not the least of which is the issure of soldering, de-soldering or re-soldering surface mount components on the Stamp Carrier Board.

If you are using a Stamp OEM product, and the crystal or resonator for the Stamp is the same required for some accompanying micro-processor or other such device, that's another story, if done carefully. The SHORT length of the leads in such a case, is MOST important as is a sound and proper solder connection.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Oper8r AlOper8r Al Posts: 98
    edited 2005-07-06 07:20
    Bruce,
    · Thanks for the quick reply. I will just wait for the part to come in. I don't want to get into de-soldering, and re-soldering. I'm still trying to learn and was always told the only stupid question is the one not asked. I will stay in the shallow end of the pool, with my feet wet and floaties on and slowly go forward.

Alan