Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Amp/preamp design - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

Amp/preamp design

Comments

• Dave PatonDave Paton Posts: 285
    edited 2007-03-23 13:42
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    I’m a little confused on the supply…The PGA2311...!

My bad. I meant the +/-15V PGA2310. The 2311 is the pin-compatible version for use as a second source to my beloved CS3310.

-dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-03-23 18:52
    Okay, looks like I need to get some PGA2310 chips in...I have a stack of the PGA2311...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-03-23 21:14
    You could always locally regulate it on your volume control board too. That would be a nice trick actually...

-dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-03-24 00:20
    Dave,

That’s what I did before…But had I been aware of the other part I would just use that. At the stage I am at it’s not too late to just order it and use that so I decrease the number of components on the PCB and thusly the complexity. Thanks for the follow-up. I had actually learned about the other part (PGA2310) from a Tech Call today from someone who has been watching this thread…I guess if I had brought up the power supply issue sooner you’d have let me know about that part, huh? =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • JunkieJunkie Posts: 38
    edited 2007-03-26 06:12
    Sorry for the abscence guys, its was a looooong weekend here (fri,sat and sun).

Nice discussion going on about PSU design.
    Chris Savage (Parallax)··said...
    I had brought up the power supply issue sooner you’d have let me know about that part, huh? =)
    smilewinkgrin.gif never too late to learn new things.
    · As a side-note I have ben working on the code for the controller since I will need the basics when it comes time for testing.· It’s interesting to see how this is developing.· I will post some code once I have a good base I am working from.
    ·Looking forward to that.
    I had a mishap over the weekend (charger of my norebook fried up) otherwise I would have worked out· preliminary·schematics on PSU as per Dave's suggestion. Will try to do it in the next couple of days.(hopefully if the service personnel from ACER provide a new charger today or tomorrow)
    edited 2007-03-26 19:39
    Junkie,

The part is a bit on the expensive side but I am going to get a couple…Ah well. The price you pay for designs can only be justified by the happiness with a completed job well done. As for the code, it would kind of give forum members a chance to see what the code to control something like this looks like and how it operates. Everything will be fully documented. Incomplete sections will simply be empty or have returns but I will try to include all expected routines/labels so everyone knows they’re going to be there. This could easily be done on an SX, Propeller or whatever. But I will use the BASIC Stamp 2p40 to show it can be done with a BASIC Stamp as well. Since I will be simply modifying a previous design the code will mostly be borrowed with minor changes, updates and additions. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-03-29 07:55
    So far I am still waiting for ACER people to provide a new charger...
    However, I got sometime to make the PSU on my home PC.
    Though I did make layout as well but dont want to post it right now.
    Dave, Chris:
    Have a look at the PSU and let me know if anything needs to be changed.
    PSU.pdf 23.4K
    edited 2007-03-30 02:46
    Sorry I've been gone guys, I've got a nasty drug-resistant case of strep I'm finally getting over, and I'm buried under a mountain of work before I've even made it back into the office. I'll try and catch up over the weekend.

Edit: Nice supply Junkie. It looks a lot like my own triple lab supply.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Dave Paton) : 3/30/2007 2:50:59 AM GMT
    edited 2007-03-30 15:35
    Guys,

My update is that I did finally get in three of the PGA2310 chips! Now everything can run from +15V/-15V, including the NJM2068 audio op-amps I mentioned. That is very close to their top end but should be fine. I just have to recheck my old schematics because I was sure there was something running from 12V. In the Power Amp section it is the cooling fan, but in the controller I can’t remember right now (not home). Anyway, it will be much easier to get a supply together now. I should be able to start experimenting with the chips next weekend (this weekend is shot).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-03-31 06:55
    Chris, Dave do you think the PSU is alright?

If it is then I should start doing the board in EAGLE (as decided earlier)

On a side note my own AMP is going fine, I decided to make it a three board pre

controller

Analog

LCD

fortunately last day I found time to finish layout of Controller and LCD board.

Here is 3D view of controller Board.
    653 x 444 - 33K
    edited 2007-04-03 04:12
    and here is the 3D view of VFD/LCD board.
    661 x 384 - 19K
    edited 2007-04-03 13:51
    Junkie said...
    Chris, Dave do you think the PSU is alright?

I think it's probably fine.

Chris, I finally excavated the table saw...I'll cut the power supply PCBs in the next day or two.

Junkie, nice rendering smilewinkgrin.gif

More later guys, I'm swamped at the moment.

-dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-04-03 20:16
    Dave,

Okay, looking forward to seeing these boards…I haven’t yet gotten anything laid out so this will be welcome for near future testing of previously mentioned circuits. As for being busy…Aren’t we all? =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-04-04 07:02
    Dave Paton said...
    As for being busy…Aren’t we all? =)
    rightly said guys, its the same here coz I am going on a 2 week family vacation to canada, starting from this weekend and I ve to finish lot of things, but before I leave I ll (hopefully) cut those photo boards and make PCBs for the Pre and PSU as well.
    Yesterday I recieved these rotary encoders(switched), pulled em off ebay.
    More later.

Post Edited (Junkie) : 4/4/2007 7:09:21 AM GMT
    640 x 480 - 115K
    edited 2007-04-05 04:11
    Finally I got the analogue board's layout ready and here is the 3D view of the board. It has four inputs through Quad RCA Jacks 4 input relays. OPA2134 as input buffers, PGA and OPA627 as output buffers and one relay at the output to prevent from power off thump.
    Now I need to finish just one thing PSU layout in EAGLE for preamp here then I am ready to etch PCBs.

Post Edited (Junkie) : 4/5/2007 4:17:29 AM GMT
    512 x 548 - 46K
    edited 2007-04-07 06:18
    I have P/S Boards on their way here which will expedite testing of the line-level audio circuits as well as the logic for them. Once that is complete I can finalize my front panel layout. And that will lead me to what I have been waiting for since I got them…Milling my cabinets out. Once I know exactly which parts are being mounted and how then I can get a DXF file made and have them finished. Ken Gracey has graciously offered to mill them for me and anyone watching his robot threads knows he can certainly do quality work. It’s just a matter of time now. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-04-07 06:20
    Junkie,

·· You said you got those encoders from eBay…You didn’t happen to get them from the link below, did you? If so I have the same units…

http://stores.ebay.com/Experimenters-Discount-Warehouse_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-04-09 03:33
    Chris Hi:

here is the link of the encoders that I got from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10X-12mm-Rotary-encoder-switch-with-keyswitch-NEW_W0QQitemZ230113052216QQihZ013QQcategoryZ67005QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

havent tested them yet, coz I have a few others which I purchased from RS Components, but the ones that I got from ebay seem to be replicas of ALPS switched encoder, difference is each ALPS costs aroung 8$ here and I got 10 from ebay for about 19$ including shipping.

Good to hear that you are about to test line level circuits.

Cheers
    edited 2007-04-10 05:58
    Junkie,

Do these encoders have detent? One thing I have been looking for is a smooth encoder that doesn't have detent...I like how you got the (free) knobs with the package.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-04-10 20:47
    Chris-

Grayhill makes encoders with and without detents. Sometimes the detentless ones are a little harder to find, but they are out there.

-dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-04-10 21:04
    Dave,

·· That would be ideal…Easier to turn…Yeah I will have to look at their website and get some model numbers and then see if Digi-Key has them. I bet “Harder to find” still equals “More expensive” too!· I could always do what our Senior Application Engineer did...He hacked one with detents to take that out.· It seemed to work.· His units were optical with only the push button shaft being a mechanical switch.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-04-13 03:19
    Dave Paton said...(trimmed)
    Chris, I finally excavated the table saw...I'll cut the power supply PCBs in the next day or two.
    -dave
    Dave,

·· Thanks again...Got everything and will start getting them populated so I don't have any more excuses why the audio circuits have gone untested.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-04-13 20:35
    No problem Chris, glad to help out smile.gif

I'm still buried under work and wedding stuff, so it'll be a little longer before I can update the open preamp document some more.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-04-13 22:47
    Dave,

No rush…I started talking to Chemania about this thread so long ago I’m sure if he was still around he’d be wondering where my complete setup is! As I said earlier the P/S was my weakest link…I always drag on custom supplies unless I already have the layout for the main controller done, but then I always had supplies for prototyping. In this case the voltages were outside of what I had a supply for…But we covered that.

Anyway, I am still plugging away at parts of the code as ideas come into my head or I remember menu items or options I had forgotten. I quickly pull up the BASIC Stamp Editor and notate the stuff in so I don’t forget. I have re-arranged my I/O pin list slightly to make reading the encoder a bit easier. I will try to post some tangible stuff soon. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-04-23 10:53
    Guys Hi:

I am back from my well deserved vacation. Chris the encoders that I bought off ebay have detents, I dont remember exactly how many but they have for sure. I have some other without detents but they are only increment type, they dont have decrement. They are from BOURNs. Also hopefully you could get a few as samples from Asutria Microsystems they are magnetic type awesome encoders but difficult to solder.

On a personal note couple of months ago I purcahsed a pre-installed PCB fabrication unit here, now it is proving to be a pretty successful venture, and also has given me the chance to get my hobby PCBs done in a professional way. During the holidays I got time to design another pre-amp around PIC16F876A it has a very simple interface 4 input selector via realys, an ouput buffer(OPA2134/OPA2107/LM4562) on PGA2310 with output realy to prevent switching off thump. 5 buttons and I.R. I guess I could make a free to use (public) under GNU. Should you feel like. I will get the PCBs in a few days ( I have ordered 6 pices) the PCB is very simple and small 5.1 inches by 4 inches.

However, I would appreciate if you guys could help me a bit on the software side I have got it working for PGA, mute, vol up, down buttons, LCD however I need some help on signal switching and I.R I would appreciate any help on this. Let me know and I will send you the firmware.

Here is the 3D view of the board.

P.S for the Pre for this thread I will upload PSU design in a couple of days, I could get the PCBs done here in good quality.

Post Edited (Junkie) : 4/23/2007 11:02:19 AM GMT
    585 x 531 - 53K
    edited 2007-04-23 17:29
    Junkie,

I will keep my eyes open for non-detent encoders…Hopefully with optical rather than mechanical internals. For now I think the ones I have will work fine. A larger knob will help a little. Currently I have such a small knob on there. On coding help, since you’re using a PIC there will be little I can offer on that. LCD connections for parallel displays are all over the internet though, even for the PIC so you shouldn’t have any trouble there.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-04-24 04:05
    Chris Hi:

sorry for miscommunication I have already made the vol up, down, mute buttons work, along LCD. Though I made the code for signal switching but what is confusing me how to come up with solution that single button could increment the signal switching and when reaches the fourth input it should come back to first one. once this is resolved I guess I could put the I.R code in the main program and I am good to go......

You should check bourns website coz they have good (non-detent) encoders.

As for knobs if you want I could send you a few..... (no cost involved at ur end)

All you would need to do is send me ur address.
    edited 2007-04-24 17:15
    Junkie,

I appreciate the offer…I would want to match the knobs to the encoder shaft. Some have a round shaft while others have the notched shaft. Which knobs do you have? Do you have a picture you could post? Thanks.

P.S. – As for you question, on a BASIC Stamp there are two ways to do this (I know you’re not using a BASIC Stamp but the concept is the same)…The simpler to understand is to do something like:

x = x + 1 : if x = 4 then x = 0

Each time you press your button you are incrementing x and checking to see if it overflows. If it does it resets back to the first selection. The code above limits the range from 0 through 3 for 4 possible selections. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-04-25 04:17
    Chris Thanks:

I really appreciate your idea, and I think it will work pretty well... I ll give it a try soon.

For Knobs I have·both sort of them with me half cut, round with grooves.

I ll try to put pics tomorrow (hopefully)

for now have a glance at board of my pre-amp and I ll appreciate your inputs...
    640 x 480 - 115K
    640 x 480 - 117K
    640 x 480 - 115K
    edited 2007-04-26 14:09
    Junkie said...
    for now have a glance at board of my pre-amp and I ll appreciate your inputs...

Looks good man...I like the nice fat traces. I'm personally a fan of ground planes on both sides (they tend to relieve necking issues with higher currents), but for this application I don't think it's really a requirement. I can't wait for the listening impressions smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔