Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FILES: IR Remote for the Boe-Bot v1.0 — Parallax Forums

FILES: IR Remote for the Boe-Bot v1.0

Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
edited 2004-10-15 17:37 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hello All,
·
I am happy to announce our newest Stamps in Class text, IR Remote for the Boe-Bot v1.0. by Andy Lindsay.· The attachment below is a pdf of the entire text.
·
This 175 page text focuses on adding infrared communication and control to the Boe-Bot.·· You can directly control the Boe-Bot game-controller style, remotely set roaming speed and distance, combine remote control and autonomous roaming functions, and remotely select autonomous roaming modes.· New programming techniques introduce designing user interfaces and menu systems.·· The final project makes the BASIC Stamp an IR remote command sequence interpreter for a remotely programmable Boe-Bot.·
·
This text is a continuation of Robotics with the Boe-Bot.· To complete the activities, you will need a fully assembled Boe-Bot with the electronic components from the kit, and a universal programmable remote control that supports a Sony TV.·· Parallax sells the remote that Andy used to develop the text, part# 020-00001.
·
If you have any comments on the book, please feel free to email me at editor@parallax.com.
·
Best regards,
·
Stephanie Lindsay
Tech Editor
Parallax Inc.

Comments

• HavoKaneHavoKane Posts: 109
    edited 2004-10-03 17:37
    will this work with other remotes, or do i have to buy the kit/remote or could i modif the code?

my remote is a comcast digital cable remote.

the key on the back is:
    ··················· URC-44AXXXB02
  • edited 2004-10-04 16:30
    This will work with any remote which can be configured to control Sony.· If your Comcast remote can be reconfigured then it will work.

I had a AT&T Cable remote, it came with a booklet, from which I knew the manufacturer and model.· I found instructions on the internet to configure it to Sony protocol, and then it worked.· The remote was a universal remote control with the AT&T logo on it.

But after that it didn't control the cable box because that was a different protocol.· I had to reconfigure it back for that.

It would be a big job to modify the code to interpret a different protocol.

Hope this helps,

Kris Magri

Parallax, Inc.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-10-15 12:58
    For heaven's sake, a $3.00 remote from Radio Shack will support the Sony protocol, and it comes with the booklet you need to configure the remote.
  • Aristides AlvarezAristides Alvarez Posts: 486
    edited 2004-10-15 17:37
    But it's also fun to learn how to program other remotes (and they're free if you already have them).

I remember using my satelital TV remote in Argentina to drive my Boe-Bot around.
    To select the Sony TV mode I used the booklet that came with the satelite-decoder remote control.

Alan, we couldn't find a remote in the price range you suggested (usually they're between $8 and $10) so if you were able to find one please send us the link.
    If it's compatible with all the buttons we use in the book we'll be able to switch to it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aristides Alvarez
    Education Manager
    aalvarez@parallax.com
    Parallax, Inc. www.parallax.com
    California, USA