Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Smart Pin PWM mode output state monitoring — Parallax Forums

Smart Pin PWM mode output state monitoring

Is there a way to read in real time the smart pin output state when it is in PWM mode? As I understand things the OUTx register is over-ridden so can not be used to actually see the pin state. Or, do I have to count clock cycles after starting the pin to 'manually' determine the pin state?

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,423
    edited 2023-09-05 10:00

WRPIN pin configuration instruction can be used to redirect inputs of a specific pin number. Then, something like TESTP reads from a different physical pin to the pin number specified in TESTP.

Once configured it stays that way until another WRPIN of that pin, or a chip reset is performed.

EDIT: This diagram might help. The part of interest is the "Logic Input" block. It has eight inputs with six of them coming from other physical pins.

• Something like this...

CON
    _clkfreq = 297_000_000 'Standard clock frequency = 160 MHz

PWM_PINS = 0 addpins 2
    PWM_CONFIG = P_PWM_TRIANGLE | P_OE
    PWM_DIV = 1
    PWM_FRAME = 2000
    PWM_DUTY = 200

SENSE_PINS = 3 addpins 2
    SENSE_CONFIG = P_MINUS3_A | P_OE
    SENSE_MASK = %111 << 3

DAT
    org
    fltl o_pins
    wrpin o_conf, o_pins
    wxpin o_xpar, o_pins
    wypin o_ypar, o_pins
    dirh o_pins

fltl  i_pins
        wrpin i_conf, i_pins
        dirh  i_pins

.loop mov state, outa
    and state, i_mask wz
    if_nz jmp #.loop

o_pins long PWM_PINS
    o_conf long PWM_CONFIG
    o_xpar long PWM_DIV + (PWM_FRAME << 16)
    o_ypar long PWM_DUTY

i_pins long SENSE_PINS
    i_conf long SENSE_CONFIG
    i_mask long SENSE_MASK

state res 1

• Sorry about the poor formatting. How do I paste code from Propeller Tool?

• Use three back-ticks (on tilde key on US keyboard) above and below your code.

• CON
      _clkfreq   = 297_000_000                                                  'Standard clock frequency = 160 MHz

PWM_PINS     = 0 addpins 2
      PWM_CONFIG   = P_PWM_TRIANGLE | P_OE
      PWM_DIV      = 1
      PWM_FRAME    = 2000
      PWM_DUTY     = 200

SENSE_PINS   = 3 addpins 2
      SENSE_CONFIG = P_MINUS3_A  | P_OE
      SENSE_MASK   = %111 << 3

DAT
            org
            fltl  o_pins
            wrpin o_conf, o_pins
            wxpin o_xpar, o_pins
            wypin o_ypar, o_pins
            dirh  o_pins

fltl  i_pins
            wrpin i_conf, i_pins
            dirh  i_pins

.loop   mov   state, outa
            and   state, i_mask     wz
    if_nz   jmp   #.loop

o_pins  long  PWM_PINS
    o_conf  long  PWM_CONFIG
    o_xpar  long  PWM_DIV + (PWM_FRAME << 16)
    o_ypar  long  PWM_DUTY

i_pins  long  SENSE_PINS
    i_conf  long  SENSE_CONFIG
    i_mask  long  SENSE_MASK

state   res   1

• Much better.

• Here is my problem. I want to measure current on load only when switch is on (not average).

edited 2023-09-05 17:27

There is a specific smartpin mode for this. It modulates its own PWM based on live feedback. It can be setup to use an internal voltage comparator even. A similar question I answered - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1552380#Comment_1552380

• I will take a look at the SMPS features. One of the limitations to my original post is the adjacent pin input has to be within +/-3 pins. The driver board I am using groups all of the switch inputs (8 total) so it is not possible to designate the adjacent pin. I need to use another strategy to measure current at the appropriate intervals. Perhaps I could build an interface board that conveniently introduces adjacent pins.

• It appears that the SMPS does have the dual control capability for V and I inputs but, they are intended to operate on the 'smoothed' output of the power supply . The circuit shown above will produce a load current that is pulsed at the input PWM frequency. To get the actual 'ON' current I want to measure only at the duty cycle of the PWM. So, I am back to using an adjacent pin strategy to detect pulses on as many fet pins as I can get adjacent to.

Thank you very much for your help here.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,156

@Phonos said:
    It appears that the SMPS does have the dual control capability for V and I inputs but, they are intended to operate on the 'smoothed' output of the power supply . The circuit shown above will produce a load current that is pulsed at the input PWM frequency. To get the actual 'ON' current I want to measure only at the duty cycle of the PWM.

Could you read the average and then use the PWM on time, which you know, to calculate back to the PWM on equivalent current ?

edited 2023-09-06 07:30

I believe the current (I) input (smartB) is designed for per-pulse modulation. Certainly that is the input that mattered for me to manage the clocking cut-off when I made the self terminating clock gen. Pulse output stopped, part way through the pulse, as long as smartB was held. And as soon as smartB input released it could resume pulses.

The only response lag was that of the internal I/O staging that all the pins have. About 4 sysclock ticks for a smartpin.

• @JonnyMac said:
    Use three back-ticks (on tilde key on US keyboard) above and below your code.

Or select the code and then "Code" from the drop-down menu.

• AribaAriba Posts: 2,685
    edited 2023-09-06 18:48

@Phonos said:
    It appears that the SMPS does have the dual control capability for V and I inputs but, they are intended to operate on the 'smoothed' output of the power supply . The circuit shown above will produce a load current that is pulsed at the input PWM frequency. To get the actual 'ON' current I want to measure only at the duty cycle of the PWM. So, I am back to using an adjacent pin strategy to detect pulses on as many fet pins as I can get adjacent to.

Thank you very much for your help here.

Why not just connect the PWM output to another pin with a wire? So you are not limited to adjacent pins.

But you don't really need another pin to detect the start of the high pulse. If you read the IN of the PWM smartpin, you get a high every time the PWM cycle starts. Now you only need to start the PWM cycle with a High instead of a Low, this is possible with setting the P_INVERT_OUTPUT bit in the pin config. You also need PWM_SAWTOOTH instead of TRIANGLE. For sure the Pulswidth setting is then invers (high values = short pulses, low values = long pulses).

Andy

• @Andy
    That is the sort of solution I was hoping for, but...

pinstart(PWM1, P_PWM_SAWTOOTH | P_INVERT_OUTPUT | P_OE, xpar, ypar)

repeat
      if (INA & (1 << PMW1))
       pinl(LED1)
      else
       pinh(LED1)

fails to pulse the LED (should be a 500msec period with 50% duty). Am I not reading the smart pin IN correctly?

• Realizing that IN is only high for the first clock of the frame I tried to capture that event...

xpar.word[0] := $FFFF
     xpar.word[1] := 1000
     ypar := 0 #> 500 <# xpar.word[1] - 1

org
    .loop    testp  #PWM1  wc
    if_nc    jmp    #.loop
             drvnot #LED1
             waitx  ct1
             jmp .loop

ct1  long  _CLK / 8

end

but this doen't work either.

• But this works!

org
    .loop    and  INA, mask  wz
    if_z     jmp    #.loop
             drvnot #LED1
             waitx  ct1
             jmp #.loop

ct1  long  _CLK / 8
    mask long  1 << PWM1

end

The IN goes high until you clear it with AKPIN, so this should work:

org
    .loop    testp  #PWM1  wc
      if_nc  jmp    #.loop
             akpin  #PWM1
             drvnot #LED1
             jmp #.loop
    end

You can also detect the pos edge of IN with an event:

org
             setse1 #%001<<6 + PWM1      'pos edge event on PWM1 pin
    .loop    waitse1
             akpin  #PWM1
             drvnot #LED1
             jmp #.loop
    end

Andy

• PhonosPhonos Posts: 45
    edited 2023-09-08 22:09

That is the exact answer. Detect the IN event and jump with an interrupt, then begin logging ammeter values.

Thanks again for great help.

Now there is another question about timing. Say the ADC time per sample is T = 2^^(ENOB-1) / CLKFREQ. Acquisition needs to fit in the high time window W = (DIV / CLKFREQ) * FRAME * (DUTY / FRAME) . Then the number of samples should be N = W / T . This works out to be N = DIV *DUTY / (2^^(ENOB-1))

Does this seem reasonable (?) :

enob := 9 
     pinstart(ANIN1, P_ADC | P_ADC_1X, (enob - 1), 0)

div := $FFFF
     frame := 1000
     duty  := 500
     n_sample := div * duty  / (1<< (enob - 1)) 

org
             setse1  #%001<<6 + PWM1      'pos edge event on PWM1 pin
             setse2  #%001<<6 + ANIN1     'pos edge event on ANIN1 pin
    .loop    waitse1
             akpin   #PWM1

rep     #4, n_sample
             waitse2
             akpin   #ANIN1
             rdpin   amp_val, #ANIN1
             add     sum, amp_val

qdiv    sum_val, n_sample
             mov     sum_val, #0
             getqx   amp_val

jmp     #.loop
    end

edited 2023-09-11 04:00

edit

Hey Phonos

I have just noticed that the PMW cycle already starts with a high puls, so you don't need the P_INVERT_OUTPUT. Makes it a bit simpler to set the pulsewidth.

What Load do you control with the PWM? For a resistive load I think to measure one sample at the right time is good enough, for inductive loads the average current over the whole cycle may be needed.

If you need the peak current, you can measure continuously and detect the maximal value.

Andy

• Hi Andy.

I noticed that in the documentation and verified with a test...

ypar := 500

org
               mov     ijmp1, #.isr
               setse1  #%001<<6 + PWM1      'pos edge event on PWM1 pin
               setint1 #event_se1
               dirl    #TP1
               drvh    #LED1

.loop    nop
               jmp     #.loop

.isr     akpin   #PWM1
               waitx   #8
               testp   #TP1          wc
      if_c     drvl    #LED1

reti1
    end

The load is a BLDC motor, trying to measure back emf and total current during the appropriate switch sequences. So, I probably would like to log the entire ADC cycle(s).

edited 2023-09-12 03:23

As an aside, when I measure the PWM output with an ADC configured pin, the measurement only reads 1.7 volts on the logic-1 state. Is this an error in my code?

Turns out a 1.5K pull down solves the dilemma.

Phonos,
    It sounds like your signal is unipolar - needing a pull-down to provide a lower impedance signal.

The ADC inputs use virtual ground at VIO/2 voltage (about 1.7 volts) with 540 kR (x1 gain) inline resistor. So, they will pull to that voltage if the signal is not relatively low impedance.

• For my testing I had P0 (smart pin PWM) directly wired to P1 (smart pin ADC_1X). Are there schematics which elaborate this behavior? I do not understand what is going on here.

If I configure the PWM as a DAC smart pin it seems to read just fine. What is the difference?

edited 2023-09-15 01:13

Inputs are functional at all times - no matter what the outputs are doing. If a DAC is driving a pin to 75% then the logic level input on the same pin sees that as a high.

The exception is ADC mode. It is only engaged in a few configs. And rightly so since it loads the pin toward VIO/2. Low-level pin modes table - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1497769/#Comment_1497769
    At the end of the Spin2 Language Google Doc there is a long list of predefined mode names. It shows the relevant bit patterns which match what's in the linked table. The linked table shows which ones can be combined.

Further reading - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1494131/#Comment_1494131
    and - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1524494/#Comment_1524494
    and - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1484327/#Comment_1484327
    and - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1510730/#Comment_1510730

edited 2023-09-15 01:23

Mode setting gets more complicated when engaging a smartpin as well. The smartpin uses DIR for its reset/enable control and it uses IN for its ready indicator. Therefore, when using the smartpin then DIR and IN no longer function in their normal pin controls.

With the smartpin engaged, the pin's DIR can be toggled using one bit of the mode word: P_OE The pin's input is absorbed by the smartpin so is not directly readable unless another nearby pin is redirected.

• @Phonos said:
    Is there a way to read in real time the smart pin output state when it is in PWM mode? As I understand things the OUTx register is over-ridden so can not be used to actually see the pin state. Or, do I have to count clock cycles after starting the pin to 'manually' determine the pin state?

Can you provide some more information about what you actually intend to do and possibly post a schematic? Is the load an inductive one (motor, solenoid or something similar)? What PWM frequency are you using and what precision do you expect from the current measurement?

I do something similar when driving motors with an IGBT or MOSFET power stage. There are basically two methods for measuring the current through the load depending on budget and required accuracy.

1. For the cheaper one usually a shunt resistor is placed in the ground leg of the lower MOSFET or IGBT. The driver has a minimum off time to charge the bosster caps. This can be used to sample the voltage at the shunt resistor while the lower transistor is on and current flows through the resitor. In this case you need fast sampling. SINC3 mode with 128 clocks (=0.64µs @ 200MHz) should give 8..10 ENOB depending on how noisy your layout is. The disadvantage is that this is only a temporary snapshot and you have to guess how high the current is during the rest of the time.
    2. If the application is not so cost sensitive I use a hall effect current sensor. This has the advantage that the sensor is isolated and can be placed directly in the load path. Now you can average the current over the full PWM period. This results in much higher precision because you can sample over a longer time window (8192 clocks SINC2 filtering, for example) and the result does not depend on the actual waveform (ripple).
    edited 2023-11-18 00:49

@ManAtWork

Sorry about the long response delay. I have been working on getting code working, with a lot of help from the forum!

This application is for the Parallax motor driver board. I have a working program that drives the fets from the hall commutation sequence and reads both motor current and back emf at the correct time in the sequence. In addition, the independent duty cycle for each is driven by joystick reading from a gamepad controller. The Propeller2 works as slave to a Raspberrypi4 that uses a simple UI written in Python to send gamepad values over ttyS0 to a smartpin serial interface, while getting motor status over ttyUSB0. The Python code also does an autoload of the Spin2 program which gets compiled remotely and sent to the pi4 using scp from a windows PC. I would love to use the rpi4 to do the compilation but have been having a hard time finding an IDE that runs on the pi.