As talk of OBEX as been coming up in a couple threads, thought I'd harness the moment to pose a question or two....
Not withstanding that an off-the-shelf and opensource Git-Hub frontend would be nice, or maybe even anything other than the ghastly code-mangling thing we have now. But if we are limited to off-the-shelf... how about the MediaWiki type of solution (ideally one that can also sync to Git-hub, or provide a Git interface along with the webpage file sharing / management) ?
OK, they are not the best looking perhaps. But the point is, they provide an interface for people to register and share code, whilst also contributing articles / snippets and code tips. It could also feature a scrape of the language function lists (etc), like in that last references url above.
There are other opensource wiki systems out there; I've not studied the detail yet to see which I prefer. But maybe some of you already have experience / opinions.
But just generally--- is there an open-source solution out there that would tick all the boxes ?
Be it a git front-end, or some other system all together ?
SUMMARY of thread comments / ideas (in no particular order):
- Reactivate old OBEX with moderator controlled sign-up and spam control
- MediaWiki type of solution
- Custom front-end for GitHub that allows OBEX style access to resources
- Wordpress plugin for GitHub backend (does it exist?)
- Forums plugin that allows templated categories for code sharing
- Wordpress Google Drive plugin ( such as: https://wordpress.org/plugins/integrate-google-drive/ )
- Include capability/section for full code objects AND handy code snippets/tips
- Name and visibility is important.