Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
When was the P2 released? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

When was the P2 released?

2»

Comments

• samuellsamuell Posts: 554
    edited 2021-06-11 22:35

@msrobots said:
    FlexGui is a simple IDE using QT and can compile C, Basic and Spin on linux, windows, mac.

You can mix languages and use objects fro any of them in any other of them.

youtube video here

Enjoy!

Mike

Thanks! Where can I find FlexGUI for Linux? I can only find FlexProp for Windows.

• On Linux you need to build from source.

• @samuell said:

@ersmith said:

@samuell said:
    Is there any GUI for FlexC? I guess I could build a GUI frontend based on Qt. It is nothing that I'm not experienced with. Basically, input a file path, some parameters, and the GUI would run the commands. I would need to know what steps to do, though.

FlexProp is the "native" GUI for FlexC. Someone (I think @pullmoll ) has done a Qt version of FlexProp. There's also Visual Studio Code, which @"Stephen Moraco" has configured for Spin support... not sure if that works for BASIC and C as well, but there's no reason it couldn't.

I need a solution that works on Linux. So, I guess that I'll make one. The commands already exist, and a GUI that invokes them is a simple task.

@samuell VScode (free) installs natively on Linux, VScode invokes the Flex Compiler (free) so you can edit any of the languages that Flex compiler supports in the VSCode IDE, all the languages have syntax/semantic highlighting. Wouldn't this work? What would be missing that you need?

• AribaAriba Posts: 2,682

@samuell said:
    Thanks! Where can I find FlexGUI for Linux? I can only find FlexProp for Windows.

FlexProp is the new name for FlexGUI. In Eric's Signature is a link to the Github releases. For Linux you only get the sources which you need to be compile yourself. For Windows there is an prebuilt EXE.

Here the link again:
    https://github.com/totalspectrum/flexprop/releases

• @samuell said:

@ersmith said:

@samuell said:
    Is there any GUI for FlexC? I guess I could build a GUI frontend based on Qt. It is nothing that I'm not experienced with. Basically, input a file path, some parameters, and the GUI would run the commands. I would need to know what steps to do, though.

FlexProp is the "native" GUI for FlexC. Someone (I think @pullmoll ) has done a Qt version of FlexProp. There's also Visual Studio Code, which @"Stephen Moraco" has configured for Spin support... not sure if that works for BASIC and C as well, but there's no reason it couldn't.

I need a solution that works on Linux. So, I guess that I'll make one. The commands already exist, and a GUI that invokes them is a simple task.

FlexProp works on Linux (in fact that's where I develop it) as well as on Windows and Mac. Instructions for how to build it on Linux are included in the README.md:

cd $HOME
    mkdir -p src
    cd src
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    sudo apt-get install bison
    sudo apt-get install git
    sudo apt-get install tk8.6
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/wish8.6 /usr/bin/wish
    git clone --recursive https://github.com/totalspectrum/flexprop
    cd flexprop
    make install

• hinvhinv Posts: 1,252

FlexProp works on Linux (in fact that's where I develop it) as well as on Windows and Mac. Instructions for how to build it on Linux are included in the README.md:

I, for one, really appreciate that it is built on linux. Windows and Mac for me are a real PITA, even though I have both, I almost never run them....and would like to keep it that way. But, what has been a real PITA for me lately is all of the changes in linux, especially ubuntu and raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS. Configuring things like network interfaces is different so lots of instructions online simply do not work on the latest ubuntu or Raspberry Pi OS, yet I don't seem to get any of the benefits of the changes... That said, I am setting up my dev environment on Raspberry Pi OS and instructions will catch up since more people are on the same platform, and I can just attach different SSD's for different OS's. What version of Linux do you develop on?

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,900

Doesn't FlexProp compile in Linux? I thought it did...

• @hinv said:

I, for one, really appreciate that it is built on linux. Windows and Mac for me are a real PITA, even though I have both, I almost never run them....and would like to keep it that way. But, what has been a real PITA for me lately is all of the changes in linux, especially ubuntu and raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS. Configuring things like network interfaces is different so lots of instructions online simply do not work on the latest ubuntu or Raspberry Pi OS, yet I don't seem to get any of the benefits of the changes... That said, I am setting up my dev environment on Raspberry Pi OS and instructions will catch up since more people are on the same platform, and I can just attach different SSD's for different OS's. What version of Linux do you develop on?

I develop on Debian (an older version at that... everything is stable and works, so I'm not in any rush to update). I have an Ubuntu 20.04 VM that I test things on occasionally as well.

• @Wuerfel_21 said:
    On Linux you need to build from source.

Thanks! I'll do that.

@"Stephen Moraco" said:

@samuell said:

@ersmith said:

@samuell said:

@samuell VScode (free) installs natively on Linux, VScode invokes the Flex Compiler (free) so you can edit any of the languages that Flex compiler supports in the VSCode IDE, all the languages have syntax/semantic highlighting. Wouldn't this work? What would be missing that you need?

M$ could even offer to pay me, as far as I'm concerned. I won't install any of the M$ stuff on my computer, unless I'm installing on a VM. Thanks, anyway.

@ersmith said:

@samuell said:

@ersmith said:

@samuell said:

cd $HOME
    mkdir -p src
    cd src
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    sudo apt-get install bison
    sudo apt-get install git
    sudo apt-get install tk8.6
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/wish8.6 /usr/bin/wish
    git clone --recursive https://github.com/totalspectrum/flexprop
    cd flexprop
    make install

Thanks, Eric. I'll try that as soon as I have my computer available.

• samuellsamuell Posts: 554
    edited 2021-06-12 21:15

Hi Eric. Installed flexprop, but it does not install a GUI.

Edit: I found out that I have to run "flexprop.tcl".

• hinvhinv Posts: 1,252

Wow! It compiled in less than a minute on a Raspbery Pi 4 8G!