What is the value to be made in the USA, for a Parallax customer?
In another thread, a customer pointed out that the cost of Parallax products is too high (in Europe, where they need to import to). This is what you get when you buy from Parallax:
- The highest quality we can possibly provide. Our design and manufacturing team are like artists; they have a standard unequaled! Since the beginning, we've carefully made PCBs that look interesting to handle, are properly labeled, and have a solid look and feel.
- Humans who answer the phone to help you with a sales or support question.
- You can build a business based on our supply. We have independent, self-reliant stability.
- Service, for many years to come. Warranty, too! If you have a problem, we'll take care of it if we can! We often swap out BASIC Stamps for schools who bought them many years ago.
- Consistency and quality control. We are still making the BASIC Stamp 1 from 1992.
- American employment, fueling the domestic economy.
- Reinvestment back into what we do, for you. We've been in business for 30+ years.
Propeller 2 is made in the USA by ON Semiconductor, too.
As for Europe, it's expensive to sell products there. We are finishing up some CE compliance documentation and testing. CE requires that we sell through distributors (or have a factory office). These suppliers must also make a margin. RS Components is about to take on a major addition to our line. You'll be able to buy from Mouser, RS, and Digi-Key - and our smaller distributor EL Micro in Germany.
****We're doing our best, so you can do your best. ****
Yesterday, I took a quick look at our manufacturing to see if we could attach headers to RasPi Pico boards for some customers. We were building Propeller 2 Mini Breakout Boards, XBee USB Adapters, and JonnyMac boards. I grabbed a few photos while I was there.
I can't possibly imagine running a business where we outsource the manufacturing of these products just to lower costs. You'll always get what you pay for from Parallax, and a whole lot more.