Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spin2 for Beginners -- Session 8 Files Available Now — Parallax Forums

Spin2 for Beginners -- Session 8 Files Available Now

JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,910
edited 2021-04-17 16:41 in Propeller 2
A while back I promised my friends Casey and @"Ken Gracey" that I would give them a bit of coaching on programming in Spin2, with the end goal of having a fun little Christmas lights project. Ken brought it up in the P2 discussion today, so we're going to open it up to those who want to join in.

What we're using:
-- P2/Breadboard Kit: https://www.parallax.com/product/propeller-2-developer-starter-bundle
-- WS2811 lights (you can use any smart pixel string): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AU6UG70
-- 2x16 I2C LCD: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SZV1MK8
-- Quadrature encoder w/button: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQTHDRR
-- RTC with EEPROM (optional): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LX3V7F0
-- 1-Wire temperature sensor (optional): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MR71WVS

Note that some of these come in multiple units so you have spares or can share with a friend.

You may want some M-M, M-F, and F-F connection wires, too.
-- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV70C78

And if you want even more power for your lights:
-- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078RT3ZPS

As we said in the discussion today, this is a holiday project so that Ken can have some fun with the P2 like the rest of us. He has been working very hard to keep Parallax running and steady, and he deserves a bit of fun. I am excited to be helping him in that regard. Feel free to join us.

We will be programming in Spin using Propeller Tool. You should be able to use FlexGUI as well (but I haven't tried, so no guarantees).

I'm reviewing the objects we'll use and will post them here. Be sure to refer back to this post for the latest files and links.

Update 23 DEC 2020
-- Install Propeller Tool 2.4.1
-- Copy my Library files to your Library (C:\Users\username\Documents\Propeller Tool\Library)
-- Copy demo programs to convenient location

Note to FlexProp users: Most code should run, but I make heavy use of PST; you will have to adjust for the FlexProp terminal.

Session 7 files can be found in post #157 on page 6 of this thread.
-- https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1518137/#Comment_1518137

Comments

• Don't want to get up from your tasty cup of eggnog to change the Christmas lights. You could get one of these kits -- we can squeeze it in at the end.

-- https://www.parallax.com/product/ir-remote-parts-kit/
  • Hey, gang, don't order from Amazon just yet -- I received a text from Ken telling me he's going to make parts kits for those who want to play along. Thanks, Ken!
  • Sign me up for a kit then! I do like kits!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2020-12-10 03:38
    An update from our end. I have just placed about $1800 of orders for these parts from Amazon for arrival at Parallax early next week, which is enough to build 62 kits. Not to wreck the fun, but I wiped out the entire supply of LCDs and WS2811 LEDs in the process of doing this purchase with Amazon. The minute I've got the parts, they'll be available on our website for $50/package with USPS shipping of about $3. This covers our cost of kitting and works out to be the same price we'd pay for individual purchases (but we'd have extra temperature sensors, potentiometers and RTCs). If all goes well, everything will arrive in time for the Christmas break. Looking over the parts, I realize there's a ton of learning with these components! Nice parts that'll be fun to work with.

I'll announce the availability of these kits on our forums so the insider P2 early adopters can grab them first. People like @"Roy Eltham" @doggiedoc @"Carol Hazlett" @JonnyMac and the rest of the P2 Live Forum will be interested in this project.

I'll get the batteries for the RTC and throw them in, maybe with an IR receiver too. Perhaps I can add wires too, since we stock them already. I can sort this out in the next day or two.

Thanks to JonnyMac for bringing us some fun learning during these times. I'm ready to start using the hardware after spending many months planning, buying, building, and marketing. Looking forward to getting my hands into something fun!

Will report back as details become more clear, but "we're on!"

Ken Gracey
  • Are these kits still available?
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Are these kits still available?

David, I should have them ready to ship around Tuesday. All the parts are coming in and we'll bag them up and post their availability here. It'll be a lot of fun. Just watch this thread!

Ken Gracey
  • Thanks Ken, I'm looking forward to this project.
  • Thanks Ken, I'm looking forward to this project.

Great! I'll make it easy for us all to participate, by providing the kits, the Zoom, and the JonnyMac. Plus, I can usually set a new low-skill level for others who are too terrified to ask dumb questions amongst the gurus.

Ken Gracey
  • Maybe one of the forum members can research the use of the CR2032 battery in the specified RTC. It seems the RTC has charging circuitry and needs the LR2032, but if there's an easy way to disable the charging system I'd be happy to throw in the CR2032 batteries at no cost. The LR2032 are about $4 each and it might be best if individuals bought them (or maybe somebody can find me a link where they are about $2 each and I'll add them happily).

Ken Gracey
  • The CR2032 is fine -- that device (DS3231) keeps time with the battery, but doesn't charge it.
  • This is great.
    I may break out my xmas tree project that I had originally done with a FLiP and blocklyprop, and make a P2 version. See attached.
    3024 x 4032 - 3M
  • JRetSapDoogJRetSapDoog Posts: 954
    edited 2020-12-10 11:26
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    It seems the RTC has charging circuitry and needs the LR2032, but if there's an easy way to disable the charging system I'd be happy to throw in the CR2032 batteries at no cost.
    Although I used what appears to be the same module (under a different name perhaps) with a CR2032 in my P1-based game console for several months without any noticeable issues, some users have reported that the charging circuit could cause the battery to swell (or worse). Thus, I elected to disable the charging circuit, which only took a minute with an iron (or a trace could be cut instead). It can be disabled by removing a single resistor. Many webpages detail the process, such as this article and this video for starters. Incidentally, IIRC, some people don't even think that the LR2032 rechargeable battery should be used if operating the module from 5V. Anyway, this module has been available for years and it's easy to modify if one has concerns.
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    Are these kits still available?

David, I should have them ready to ship around Tuesday. All the parts are coming in and we'll bag them up and post their availability here. It'll be a lot of fun. Just watch this thread!

Ken Gracey
    Actually, with the JonnyMac breadboard and P2 edge module order that I placed the other day, it looks like I may already have all of the parts needed for this project although the quadrature encoders that I have also contain RGB LEDs.

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,910
    edited 2020-12-10 19:47
    Actually, with the JonnyMac breadboard and P2 edge module order that I placed the other day, it looks like I may already have all of the parts needed for this project although the quadrature encoders that I have also contain RGB LEDs.
    It would be very easy to create a modified encoder object that uses the smart pins to read the encoder, and three smart pwm pins to handle the RGB LEDs.
  • The next step we need to figure out is how JonnyMac is going to handle us - according to what schedule and time, on-line (and what dates).

I think I might just call the JonnyMac!

Ken Gracey
  • I'm down.
  • Hey all,

I'll get together with Stephanie and we'll put up a product page for this $50 kit. I'm expecting you can order and ship them USPS as early as Tuesday. While they won't be in stock, you'll be able to put yourself on the e-mail waitlist so you are notified the second they come into stock. We're planning our first meeting with JonnyMac on the 23rd of December, after the P2 Live Forum at 4 pm Pacific.

These parts look quite nice and it seems that JonnyMac thought of everything. We've got several protocols, inputs/outputs and some visual fun.

Will keep you posted!

Ken Gracey
  • I'd also like to take part in the fun and at the same time support Parallax, unfortunately the lowest shipping fare (to Finland) in the new site is now $38.60, while it was $24.50 a month ago. So, please have fun for me as well :smile:
  • CJMJCJMJ Posts: 223
    edited 2020-12-11 08:23
    If anyone is interested, I'll offer up the .stl files for my encoder housing. The encoders I use [https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B68H6R8/] are similar to JonnyMac's recommendation so they should fit.

The knob was a little snug on 3 of my 8 encoders. So if it's a little snug and you have to remove it, hold the encoder NOT the PCB or it'll end up looking like the last picture [what the inside of a quadrature encoder looks like!].

Merry Christmas!

Oh! You can use double sided tape to stick it to whatever.

Oh! One more thing. I've included a picture of my slicer settings and the layout of how I print them on my printer.

2448 x 3264 - 2M
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    2448 x 3264 - 1M
    2448 x 3264 - 1M
    2448 x 3264 - 1M
    2736 x 1824 - 1M
  • CJMJ wrote: »
    If anyone is interested, I'll offer up the .stl files for my encoder housing. The encoders I use [https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B68H6R8/] are similar to JonnyMac's recommendation so they should fit.

The knob was a little snug on 3 of my 8 encoders. So if it's a little snug and you have to remove it, hold the encoder NOT the PCB or it'll end up looking like the last picture [what the inside of a quadrature encoder looks like!].

Merry Christmas!

Oh! You can use double sided tape to stick it to whatever.

Oh! One more thing. I've included a picture of my slicer settings and the layout of how I print them on my printer.

Thank you CJMJ for including the STL files and printer settings for your encoder housing, they look great. I'll print some out tomorrow.

I previously purchased a number of these encoders to be used with dgately's neopixel ring setup as mentioned in this forum discussion. dgately also included his STL file for the mounting plate for the neopixel and encoder. I've already printed up a couple of these.

CJMJ: How do you like your Prusa 3D printer? I hear that they really print well. I currently have an inexpensive 3D printer I got through kickstarter called a "MOOZ 2". It 3D prints reasonably well but can only do a maximum 5x5x5 inch item. The "MOOZ 2" main feature is that you can switch from 3D printing to CNC milling or Laser engraving by switching its head.

• I love it but they are a little expensive. Also, the build volume [25cm x 21cm x 21 cm] is a little smaller than their chinese clones. I bought mine as a kit and assembled it so I would know every aspect of its construction. I've used several printers (ie Makerbot Replicator 2, an Ultimaker Cura 2+ and a Gigabot) at my local library but their print quality was always inconsistent. Probably because so many different inexperienced individuals were abusing them. When the library shutdown due to the pandemic I purchased the PRUSA on the recommendation of a 3D Printer club member who brought his to one of the meetings with several example prints. The features I like about the PRUSA are: (1) the print bed only moves in the y direction (back and forth). The extruder moves in the X and Z directions. Less mass to sling around. (2) Because the printer bed doesn't move up and down and it uses a PINDA probe to sense the magnets embedded under the bed, its layering is very precise and consistent. (3) I use PRUSA's textured metal [removable] sheets. PRUSA recommends using alcohol to wipe down the bed but I usually just use a microfiber cloth to wipe it down between prints. Between that and its heated bed I almost never have adhesion problems. My next purchase is going to be a CNC. I miss the Carbide 3D Nomad at the library which I was using for cutting out the PCBs for my CubeSAT project. I had just started using it to cut traces with limited success. The biggest problem I had was keeping the PCB surface absolutely flat. Sorry to take up the thread with this.
    Hey all,

I'll get together with Stephanie and we'll put up a product page for this $50 kit. I'm expecting you can order and ship them USPS as early as Tuesday. While they won't be in stock, you'll be able to put yourself on the e-mail waitlist so you are notified the second they come into stock. We're planning our first meeting with JonnyMac on the 23rd of December, after the P2 Live Forum at 4 pm Pacific.

These parts look quite nice and it seems that JonnyMac thought of everything. We've got several protocols, inputs/outputs and some visual fun.

Will keep you posted!

Ken Gracey
    $50 kit? I guess that doesn't include the JonnyMac breadboard or the edge module. Maybe I'll order one after all since I need to put in a new order anyway since I forgot to order the barrel plug to USB power cable for the JonnyMac breadboard. I stupidly assumed it took a standard USB cable. Duh.

• I will buy a kit.

John Abshier
    edited 2020-12-11 17:37
    banjo wrote: »
    I'd also like to take part in the fun and at the same time support Parallax, unfortunately the lowest shipping fare (to Finland) in the new site is now $38.60, while it was $24.50 a month ago. So, please have fun for me as well :smile:
    Ken is trying to make things a little easier for those who want to follow along, but, as you point out, shipping costs may not work for everyone. I have listed the parts I have on my desk in the first post of this thread. You can probably find identical devices at a European distributor.

Just to re-iterate, this project started as me wanting to help two of my dear friends get up and running with Spin2 programming on the P2. You can certainly join in the Zoom chats (or watch them later) without having hardware at hand -- though it will be more fun with hardware to play with.
  • @banjo I'm not certain the shipping rates for USPS to Finland would really be that extreme. Let's see, when I get this product package posted. We'll go to special lengths to send you one.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2020-12-11 17:40
    CJMJ wrote: »
    Sorry to take up the thread with this.
    Yes, thank you. Let's keep this thread focused on Spin 2 programming -- that is the goal of the project.

• Please put yourself on this waitlist so that you will be notified the minute these are in stock (and you can order):

https://www.parallax.com/product/p2-live-forum-holiday-spin2-kit/

We should have 64 kits available by mid-week, around the 15th of December.

Thanks, Ken
    @banjo I'm not certain the shipping rates for USPS to Finland would really be that extreme. Let's see, when I get this product package posted. We'll go to special lengths to send you one.

Ken Gracey

Thx Ken!
  • For those that have a P2 Eval board and want to join in, let me suggest you get some M-F jumper wires like these to connect an external breadboard:

-- https://www.parallax.com/product/200mm-jumper-wires-mf-40-piece-ribbon/
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2020-12-17 17:07
    @"Ken Gracey" Are there going to be more of these kits? I seem to have missed out on the first batch.