Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New BASIC compiler for Prop1 and Prop2 - Page 20 — Parallax Forums

New BASIC compiler for Prop1 and Prop2

1141516171820»

Comments

• yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2019-09-04 13:59
    tritonium wrote: »
    Changing the title of a thread 20 pages long could lead to confusion.
    The one I was talking about is 1 page long and instead of removing BASIC, mentioning all languages FastSpin can compile and combine would have been ok too. I'm just unhappy about only mentioning BASIC there.

But the forum demigods already refused to rename that de facto orphaned thread with an author who was last seen december 2018 and did not answer the question about renaming in that thread for months.

So that renaming idea is beamed from the table and I officially retract that request.
  • Apologise for not understanding the request. I did not understand it was for the older thread.
    I have changed the title. I this what you were thinking?
  • Publison wrote: »
    Apologise for not understanding the request. I did not understand it was for the older thread.
    I have changed the title. I this what you were thinking?
    Thanks!
    Now mentioning BASIC and all the other languages did not take away something. I think that really will not hurt anybody.
    \o/
  • Hi

Ah yes I misunderstood too :smile:
    All's well that ends well….

Dave
  • tritonium wrote: »
    Ah yes I misunderstood too :smile:
    Maybe my universal translator was undercaffeinated while writing down that idea.
    tritonium wrote: »
    All's well that ends well….
    I updated my last example there because FlexBASIC now can do 2 dimensional arrays directly, which needed a trick in older versions.
  • There are new versions of fastspin and the GUI for it. That GUI has been renamed from "spin2gui" to "flexgui" to better reflect that it works with not only Spin but also BASIC and C. The URL for flexgui is:

https://www.patreon.com/totalspectrum
    or
    https://www.github.com/totalspectrum/flexgui/releases

The old "spin2gui" URL on github is redirected to "flexgui", so that should work for a little while, but please use the new URL going forward.

flexgui has several new configuration options for the editor display, and buttons to switch between P1, P2a (original P2 silicon) and P2b (new P2 silicon).

fastspin has several bug fixes, mostly in C and Spin.
  • Gosh @ersmith you are pushing it, do you sleep sometimes?

I am still amazed of the amount of work you put into this, and am very glad that you do so, without fastspin/flexgui I would be lost.

Since I never bought a FPGA I sort of skipped PNUT, but fastspin/flexgui is just what I need. I thank you very much for this.

Mike
    edited 2019-09-24 07:14
    msrobots wrote: »
    Gosh @ersmith you are pushing it, do you sleep sometimes?
    Easy answer: (time in UTC)
    20190924-071130-GMT.png
    742 x 526 - 12K
  • a just 209 commits per hour.

that explains a lot.

Mike
    edited 2019-09-24 20:40
    That program counted all commits in the buckets of their hours. That does not mean that within one real hour 209 commits happended.
    I'll attach the code below. Just run it in the directory of a cloned git repository.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2019-09-24 21:43
    OK I see. So @ersmith sleeps sometimes between 4 and 7 and is most productive at noon.

Mike
  • @yeti, that is kind of creepy.
    edited 2019-09-25 06:56
    ersmith wrote: »
    @yeti, that is kind of creepy.
    We should be aware about our publicly available data.
    We are the new data cattle!

Your activity fingerprint at least looks ok (has a rhythm). ;-)

I've a similar script scanning IRC logs (doesn't handle nick changes or multiple nicks yet and probably never will) and the example run there shows the activity of my old nick (drAWKula, guess why) @freenode over ±2½ months. Your activity fingerprint definitely looks better... ;-)
  • ersmith wrote: »
    @yeti, that is kind of creepy.

I thought that too, but it looks like @yeti lags behind you, more active after noon around 3.

Gosh if somebody does this with my posts here , my company should not see that. I do have a very unfriendly Boss, pushing me to work more and more. And I can not really complain to myself about it. I just don't really listen to myself. (self employed since decades).

But now I have 3 ES-a boards, found my Iron and resistors and the other needed tools, and Eric obviously fixed the Problem in fastspin with embedded pasm and spin objects, as far as I read, so my RingBuffer will hopefully start running this weekend.

I decided to give me a weekend off.

Mike
  • I started to work with the latest flexGUI, in preparation for an IDE to be used with the P1 and mostly with the P2. It looks like flexGUI has matured quite a bit since the last time I used it.

The one thing that I noticed, that is still missing, writing your code to the EEPROM. How is everybody accomplishing that process. The best scenario that I can imagine would be from within flexGUI. If you have to do some kind of batch file or command line thing, not sure if that is the most productive procedure. Other then that item, flexGUI seems to be working as expected, with no problems with the small programs that I ran. And yes, it is still LMM.

Ray
    edited 2019-10-22 13:32
    Rsadeika wrote: »
    The one thing that I noticed, that is still missing, writing your code to the EEPROM.[/code]
    You can modify the loader's commandline in FlexGUI's configuration to request EEPROM loading.

There should me more such configurable commands for having separate buttons for "load RAM and run", "load EEPROM", "load EEPROM and run", "run from EEPROM", "run in SpinSim", "run in GEAR", ...

And the same for having lots more of pre-definable compile command lines. So wie easily could integrate HomeSpun and OpenSpin too.
    Rsadeika wrote: »
    And yes, it is still LMM.
    <whisper> Look at FastSpin's "-z" option. It needs more testers... </whisper>
  • Rsadeika wrote: »
    The one thing that I noticed, that is still missing, writing your code to the EEPROM. How is everybody accomplishing that process. The best scenario that I can imagine would be from within flexGUI.

For P1 loading in Flexgui, you can add the "-e" option to the run command line from the Configure Commands menu (edit the "Run Command" field), to load to the P1 eeprom...
    xterm -fs 14 -e "%D/bin/proploader" -Dbaudrate=115200 %P "%B" -e -r -t -k

There is not (yet) an eeprom loading option for loadp2, which is the loader used by flexgui for P2...

dgately

• I've uploaded the final version of fastspin 4.0.0 (and flexgui 4.0.0). At this point I think I'm ready to declare the BASIC support in fastspin ready for regular use, although obviously there are always things that can be improved. I'd like to add some more BASIC library functions, and definitely more examples!

For Windows users I would recommend downloading the flexgui.zip package from https://github.com/totalspectrum/flexgui/releases/latest.
  • I've just started a project using Fastspin basic on P1 that involves some trig functions . Not sure why this code does not work. I have used p =tan(45) and expected result P=1 I have tried converting to radians. What am i missing here?
    Using fastspin which is included in the flexgui rev 4.2.4 folder.

Thanks

Ron
  • rsut wrote: »
    I've just started a project using Fastspin basic on P1 that involves some trig functions . Not sure why this code does not work. I have used p =tan(45) and expected result P=1 I have tried converting to radians. What am i missing here?
    Using fastspin which is included in the flexgui rev 4.2.4 folder.

The trig functions all take radians as arguments.

There's a typo in the builtin tan function in the file include/libsys/math.c. Line 95 reads:
    float __builtin_tanf(x)

when it should read
    float __builtin_tanf(float x)

If you make that change in your local copy it should fix your problem. It'll be fixed in the next release.

• Thanks for the fix

Ron