Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Issues with Yaw control or Rudder power for Elev8-V3 Quadcopter — Parallax Forums

Issues with Yaw control or Rudder power for Elev8-V3 Quadcopter

Hi,
I'm facing issues with Yaw control or Rudder power for Elev8-V3 Quadcopter.

Rudder power (Yaw) is not working properly, it is fluctuating i.e., it is yawing right and left continuously eventhough if I'm giving any one side rudder control in Spektrum DXe transmitter.

I've followed all the instructions in uploading firmware, gnd. stn. software and ESC calibration as given in the website.

Pitch and Roll controls are working fine, but Yaw control / rudder power continuously fluctuating from +ve to -ve value back and forth in gnd. stn. software.

Please give some solution to this issue.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-05-27 17:13
    Welcome to the forums!

Are you using the defaults for the transmitter?
    DXe Transmitter Default Channel Assignments (when used w/ Parallax ELEV-8 v3 Quadcopter):

Throttle, Aileron, Elevator and Rudder - channels 1-4
    3 Position "Flight Mode" switch - channel 5
    Momentary Push-Button "Bind/Panic/Trainer" - channel 6
    3 Position "Flap" switch - channel 7
    2 Position "Aux" switch - not mapped
    Hi/Low Rate switch - can be disabled in software
    Momentary Push-Button "Wireless Trainer Bind" switch - can be disabled in software
    2 Position "Motor/Thro" "Arm/Disarm" switch - can be configured or disabled in software

What positions are the switches in?
  • Thank u Publison.

Yes, i'm using defaults mode and switches allocation in the DXe transmitter.

As you mentioned,
    Throttle, Aileron, Elevator and Rudder - channels 1-4

I've mapped Gear switch - ch5 (flight mode),
    aux is not mapped,
    kept in Hi mode as per the instruction in manual.

Can u guide me with the yaw control situation, because after all the calibration done its fluctuating from +ve to -ve by intervals of 1-2seconds, i dont know why!!

P.S.: I've not touched any gain settings so far.
  • The only thing I can think of is try to calibrate away from electrical devices and large metal objects. Maybe try the trim on the rudder to see if it has any effect. You can always reset back to zero, (null).

What versions of firmware and ground control? This is through USB cable and not XBEE, correct?
  • Ok, I'll try out your suggestion.

Yes, it is from latest versions of firmware and ground station of parallax, not from XBEE.
  • I've reclaibrated and updated the firmaware again.

Actually that Yaw power is still fluctuating from +ve to -ve values in gnd stn.

Later, with some guts we took it out for the test flight and surprisingly it flew properly.
  • @Publison it looks like you are quoting those DXe radio channel defaults from somewhere, but I can't find them listed in the instructions or flight control source code.

I have been wondering what was set up for channel 6. I didn't think to try the bind button as I (naively) thought it was a radio-level control not bound to a TX/RX channel. Thanks for posting this, and I'm glad I found it.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-06-02 19:43
    amcdawes wrote: »
    @Publison it looks like you are quoting those DXe radio channel defaults from somewhere, but I can't find them listed in the instructions or flight control source code.

I have been wondering what was set up for channel 6. I didn't think to try the bind button as I (naively) thought it was a radio-level control not bound to a TX/RX channel. Thanks for posting this, and I'm glad I found it.

Welcome to the forums!

I was quoting from the assembly manual, Step 21:

https://learn.parallax.com/print/book/export/html/1186

Myself, I would move Chan 6 to the two position Aux switch.

• amcdawes wrote: »
    @Publison it looks like you are quoting those DXe radio channel defaults from somewhere, but I can't find them listed in the instructions or flight control source code.

Looks like you purchased the full Elev-8 kit. If you have any questions with the build, we invite you to start a new thread in Robotics to help you along.
  • Hmm, I don't see that text anywhere on the instructions (even searching for "panic" or "assignments"), maybe there is a different version? In any case, I started a discussion in Robotics with this specific question about ch6 defaults (https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/168593/elev-8-with-dxe-radio-ch6)