Comments

• jmg wrote: »
    potatohead wrote: »
    To me, mov r1, #r2

R1 = absolute cog address
    #r2 = immediate, some say literal here
    Jmp r1
    Jmp *r1
    These example are quite confusing, in that you use rN for all cases.
    Most ASM manuals would instead use a clearer

mov r1, #Immed

and
    Label:
    jmp Label
    or some variant of
    jmp $-2
    for relative

and jmp @Rn or jmp [Rn] or jmp *Rn for register-indirect cases.

Care is usually taken to use Rn only when the element really is a register, not an Immed or Label.

Yeah, if moving an address, its #r2, and if immediate or literal value, its #5.

In the COG, one can think of it as a register or just memory. This also means it really is a register when people want to treat it like one. In PASM, a label is an address. One can say that address is just COG RAM, meaning a memory to memory design, or COG ram is all registers.

In that sense, mov there, here or mov r1, r5 aren't any different from mov 5, 7. We dont mean to reassign addresses, nor will the physical memory be moved, and that leaves contents of, which are what moves.

Need a few snippets to makr it more clear.

Then, mov pointer, #label+5 starts to make sense as does your jmp $-2, which would load the PC with the contents found at $-2. Probably want address as value to be loaded into the PC jmp #$-2, right?

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Maybe this is all we need, as DIR/OUT instructions go:
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011000	DRVL    {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = 0,    DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011001	DRVH    {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = 1,    DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011010	DRVC    {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = C,    DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011011	DRVNC   {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = !C,   DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011100	DRVZ    {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = Z,    DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011101	DRVNZ   {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = !Z,   DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011110	DRVN    {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = !bit, DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011111	FLT     {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = 0,    DIR bit = 0, C/!Z = IN bit.

Would that be complete?
  • potatohead wrote: »
    Re: language before next chip step.

Right now, its basically ready for synthesis. We really need to exercise a lot of things before doing that. The synthesis is super expensive.

Seems to me a brief test period, with SPIN and C initial, core development as part of that, is prudent.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that we have to design a new language. We could get the current Spin (with perhaps "obvious" extensions for the new instructions) up and running very quickly. The big changes (new language features) can wait until the chip is going out to synthesis.

I understand the desire to make the P2 as good as possible, but that needs to be balanced against time to market -- the P2 is already late in that regard. And really, at this point the P2 has all the instructions needed to implement any language. Spin has already been run on the P2 (via fastspin and Cluso's Spin1 port). So has C (via Dave Hein's Taz C). The problem with making more changes is that trying to implement a compiler/interpreter for an architecture that keeps changing is an exercise in frustration.

My suggestion would be to reserve some opcodes for future expansion in case there are any last minute additions discovered, and set the rest of the instruction set in stone. We can then start development on assemblers, compilers, linkers, etc. and start testing in earnest.

Eric
  • Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Ken has said before that they won't launch the P2 chip without software such as Spin and C, and probably now he'd like Blockly on it too. He also wants it to have cross platform support from the start instead of only windows like with P1.
    Yes, but even if the P2 is declared "finished" right now, samples aren't going to arrive for a long time.
    They need the software ready for launch in order to be able to actually sell it. Spending a pile of money on a chip right now, that they then have to sit on for months while software is made is bad for business.
    Sure. But we can't write software without a platform. In particular it's very hard to write a compiler or assembler for a target that keeps changing. I know I gave up a while ago on trying to keep fastspin up to date, because I knew that whatever changes I made would just need to be re-done later.

The P2 as it stands now is perfectly capable of running any language we can throw at it. Perhaps some small changes could yield a faster interpreter; we don't know for sure. On the other hand the P2 is never going to be the "fastest" chip on any benchmarks; its strength lies elsewhere. A P2 available "now" (end of 2017, realistically) is much better than a P2 that's not available for another year but which can run Spin 10% faster. At least, that's my opinion.

Once the instruction set is set in stone then we can start developing tools. I definitely agree with you that there need to be good quality tools available when the chip is available. But tapeout can be done in parallel with language development.

My suggestion: freeze the instruction set and get Spin1 working on the P2 now. There are lots of paths available for this: we could update openspin and fastspin for P2, for example. Then incrementally add features to the Spin compiler and interpreter, so that at each stage there's a working language and toolchain. Then whenever the chip comes back there's something available.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    cgracey wrote: »
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011000	DRVL    {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = 0,    DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011001	DRVH    {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = 1,    DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011010	DRVC    {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = C,    DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011011	DRVNC   {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = !C,   DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011100	DRVZ    {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = Z,    DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011101	DRVNZ   {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = !Z,   DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011110	DRVN    {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = !bit, DIR bit = 1, C/!Z = IN bit.
    EEEE 1101011 CZL DDDDDDDDD 001011111	FLT     {#}D        {WC,WZ}	OUT bit of pin D[5:0] = 0,    DIR bit = 0, C/!Z = IN bit.

Would that be complete?

There are some cases, like i2c, where you want to operate an Open-Drain port pin, and read that pin.
    Can you code i2c cleanly with the above opcodes ?

I note these bit-pointer opcodes can reach above port pins - does it make sense to implement a few buried bits, that these can reach ?

Thinking more, there are valid uses for all the current DIR/OUT instructions. For example, the FLTxx instructions clear the DIR bit and write a value to the OUT bit. Seems kind of pointless, but you may have the bit to output at that time, so, later, you just set the DIR bit. For completeness, it's useful to have the OUT instructions, as well. It would only save two 32-bit muxes per cog to get rid of half of these. I'll just keep them. Carry on.
    jmg wrote: »

Would that be complete?

There are some cases, like i2c, where you want to operate an Open-Drain port pin, and read that pin.
    Can you code i2c cleanly with the above opcodes ?

I note these bit-pointer opcodes can reach above port pins - does it make sense to implement a few buried bits, that these can reach ?

I don't know what we'd with more bits. We can reach everything directly with these instructions, already. Thanks for thinking about this, anyway.
    edited 2017-02-23 22:41
    I think we've got all the instructions we need to do anything, as Eric said. It's not worth, I agree, more delay to ensure what are probably only minor improvements, at this point.

I want to say it's frozen, barring any bugs that might be discovered. I think it would be useful to get high-level languages going to shake out any latent problems before we commit to synthesis.
  • cgracey wrote: »
    I want to say it's frozen
    Then say it! :-)
    It's your decision I think.

I don't know what we'd with more bits. We can reach everything directly with these instructions, already. Thanks for thinking about this, anyway.
    I was thinking of atomic flag uses. Now there are indexed boolean instructions, with a 9 bit reach....

edited 2017-02-23 22:51
    Thinking more, there are valid uses for all the current DIR/OUT instructions. For example, the FLTxx instructions clear the DIR bit and write a value to the OUT bit. Seems kind of pointless, but you may have the bit to output at that time, so, later, you just set the DIR bit. For completeness, it's useful to have the OUT instructions, as well. It would only save two 32-bit muxes per cog to get rid of half of these. I'll just keep them. Carry on.

For i2c, you want to ideally operate open-drain, so CY can do DRIVL when CY=0 and FLT when CY=1
    There is a way to copy-CY to a CMOS drive port (DRVC), but it's less clear if you can copy CY to a OpenDrain port ?

You may also want to WAIT on a Pin, for clock stretching cases, and for finite-slew BUS cases.

• Yes, but that doesn't mean that we have to design a new language.

Completely agreed here, and perhaps was just not clear.

Looks like we have a lock proposed for instructions.

I'm in favor of moving to bug fix only.
    jmg wrote: »

For i2c, you want to ideally operate open-drain, so CY can do DRIVL when CY=0 and FLT when CY=1
    There is a way to copy-CY to a CMOS drive port (DRVC), but it's less clear if you can copy CY to a OpenDrain port ?

You can separately configure each I/O pin's 'low' and 'high' states with 3-bit fields. You can pick: normal/1.5k/15k/150k/1ma/100ua/10ua/float for each state. To keep things simple for I2C, you could just set the OUT bit low and control the DIR bit for drive-low/float-high.
    Here we go:

THE VERILOG IS FINISHED.

I will get v16 out for everybody, hopefully, by the end of tomorrow.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Chip,
    I want to say it's frozen,...
    Please God let it be so.

Here we go:

THE VERILOG IS FINISHED.

YAY!!!!!

• Are there any instruction encoding differences between V15 and V16 other than the new instructions that were added?
    edited 2017-02-23 22:59
    To keep things simple for I2C, you could just set the OUT bit low and control the DIR bit for drive-low/float-high.
    Yes,
    Is there an opcode that does !CY -> DIR ? (like the one that does !CY -> OUT)

• !!!!!!!

:D
    Here we go:

THE VERILOG IS FINISHED.

And there was much rejoicing!
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,907
    edited 2017-02-23 23:15
    Hurray!

BTW: I2C is extremely slow (3.2 MHz max) compared to 80 MIPS of one cog. Don't think you need any special instructions for it...
    David Betz wrote: »
    Are there any instruction encoding differences between V15 and V16 other than the new instructions that were added?

I had to move stuff around in the block that begins with SETNIB, in order to get the new ALTxx instructions in which allow nibble/byte/word access. Changes will be flagged in the instructions.txt file.
    Rayman wrote: »
    BTW: I2C is extremely slow (3.2 MHz max) compared to 80 MIPS of one cog. Don't think you need any special instructions for it...

i2c also has i3c derivatives, that says :

" The I3C bus supports a mixture of message types including: I2C-like single data rate (SDR) messages which use SCL clock speeds of up to 12.5MHz, and HDR messages at higher data rates...
    A bus to which only I3C devices are connected is called a pure I3C bus, and supports speeds from 8.8 to 26.7Mbit/s. Typically, the SCL clock frequency in a pure I3C bus is 12.5MHz."

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2017-02-23 23:26
    You mean there was much rejoicing:

or

One thing I'd like to do before getting this out is maybe clear up some name-space conflicts.

NOT, AND, and OR are both PASM instructions and boolean operators. This is going to cause headaches.

How about if, for PASM, we renamed these instructions to NOTF, ANDF, ORF and XORF (F for 'function', let's say)? XORF is just there for consistency.

Any better idea?
  • Crickey. Verilog frozen, Blocklyprop touring, its all happening.

I think I3C will be fine if we have cogs running at 160MHz.
    David Betz wrote: »
    Are there any instruction encoding differences between V15 and V16 other than the new instructions that were added?

I had to move stuff around in the block that begins with SETNIB, in order to get the new ALTxx instructions in which allow nibble/byte/word access. Changes will be flagged in the instructions.txt file.
    Okay, thanks. I won't start until you post the V16 instructions.txt then. I won't need the highlighting because everything will be new to me at this point! :-)
    One thing I'd like to do before getting this out is maybe clear up some name-space conflicts.

NOT, AND, and OR are both PASM instructions and boolean operators. This is going to cause headaches.

How about if, for PASM, we renamed these instructions to NOTF, ANDF, ORF and XORF (F for 'function', let's say)? XORF is just there for consistency.

Any better idea?
    Can you give some examples ? I'm not clear on what is proposed here ?
    Other MCUs use a 'b' suffix where there is name space confusion.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,907
    Don't higher levels use & and | ?
  • cgracey wrote:

Is that really necessary? Those keywords have had dual meanings in Spin/PASM for 11 years, and they've never caused any trouble. In PASM, the context (instruction vs. operand) is more than sufficient to distinguish between meanings.

-Phil