Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Lynx Motion Tracks — Parallax Forums

Lynx Motion Tracks

Im working on a Tracked vehicle, Im starting on the parts list. I was wonder what motor I could direct drive to the Lynx Motion tracks. I've looked into drill motors as a good answer but theres no solid mounts and the output shaft isn't easy to connect to there hubs they have on the site. Seen quite a bit of these builds on this fourm and others and they never seem to get finished or give enough info.

Comments

• Have you seen this project?

Vex also makes tracks. I started building a robot to use the Vex treads but I had too many other projects which I had higher priority. Here's a link to the read about the robot.

Both of the above linked threads include links to gear motor combinations.

I personally like to use motors with encoders on my robots. The encoders are necessary if you want the robot to travel in a straight line without input from a user.

• Yeah I have, I honestly dont know anything about encoders. But I know alot of user input stuff. What all do encoder motors do?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Chris3500 wrote: »
    Yeah I have, I honestly dont know anything about encoders. But I know alot of user input stuff. What all do encoder motors do?

Motors with encoders provide signals that tell the controller how far and fast the motor has turned. This allows the controller to keep both motors turning at the same speed for traveling in a straight line, and at set but different speeds for turning.
  • Ok, I was thinking of using two of these https://www.servocity.com/313-rpm-hd-premium-planetary-gear-motor these motors they use on other bots on there website with 5'' tires and then something like this http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-SABER2X25-RC.html
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2016-09-25 21:14
    Those motors will make it really fast, I thought 150 RPM was fast. The D shaft is nice.

If you buy a motor with an encoder you don't have to use the encoder. You'd connect the motor positive and negative and use it like a normal motor. Then down the road if you decide you want better autonomy you can connect them and post on the figure eight thread.

How many inches of track are you using for one track? How much will this bot weigh?
  • is
    xanadu wrote: »
    Those motors will make it really fast, I thought 150 RPM was fast. The D shaft is nice.

If you buy a motor with an encoder you don't have to use the encoder. You'd connect the motor positive and negative and use it like a normal motor. Then down the road if you decide you want better autonomy you can connect them and post on the figure eight thread.

How many inches of track are you using for one track? How much will this bot weigh?

Quick question on the rpm how would you figure out the final rpm on a motor output. Like that motor I was talking about is 313rpm with a 27:1 ratio?

Have any links or anything that are nice on learning about encoders etc.

It should be under 5lbs for sure and then the length will or should be about a foot to two foot, depending on how close I can get everything situated.

And then to make it easier to do it all Im going to do 4 motors so mounting is even to match the bevel gears up nice and then I dont have to worry about finding bearing mounts etc that are even to match up with the bevel gears. Most of the structure will be from servocity and what isn't needed will be trimmed off to help with a little weight reduction.
  • 313 RPM is the speed of the output shaft of the motor.

Which microcontroller and what programming language are you using?

4 of those motors will be too much current for a single motor controller you linked. No need to do that, trust me.

Can you explain a little more about what you want this robot to do and how it will be controlled?
  • xanadu wrote: »
    313 RPM is the speed of the output shaft of the motor.

Which microcontroller and what programming language are you using?

4 of those motors will be too much current for a single motor controller you linked. No need to do that, trust me.

Can you explain a little more about what you want this robot to do and how it will be controlled?

For electronics I planned on using 1 sabertooth or if I used the 4 motors Id use 2 and then this http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-HRCJ5800.html to control it. No fancy computer electronics yet.

So far its just going to be a base, then I am going to use some actuators for arms with a claw, and then eventually put a fpv camera on it like a fat shark or something along those lines. This is just going to be like a prototype for what I want to make so we can explore all our old gold mines on our property. We have no internet out there so Im not sure if I could use any of the computer electronics if it uses internet.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    You can use a computer and/or a micro-controller to control the robot without an internet connection.
  • kwinn wrote: »
    You can use a computer and/or a micro-controller to control the robot without an internet connection.
    Ok, sweet. Ill definitely have to look into that in the future.
    And then for the base the sheet is 4.5"x12"
    And then the motor would probably be a 142rpm 84:1 motor

• Here are my suggestions.

This motor.

28819.png?itok=Qe7nXLS4

With this motor controller.

28231.png?itok=WLlepLcA

Two of the above motors can plug directly into the above board. You would use normal RC gear to control it. You could also use older wireless game controllers like a Wii Nunchuck or a PlayStation2 controller. Just not the new USB based controllers.

You could also use the above board with a $3 Bluetooth module. You'd need to load a new program to use some of these controllers.
  • Duane Degn wrote: »
    Here are my suggestions.

This motor.

28819.png?itok=Qe7nXLS4

28231.png?itok=WLlepLcA

Two of the above motors can plug directly into the above board. You would use normal RC gear to control it. You could also use older wireless game controllers like a Wii Nunchuck or a PlayStation2 controller. Just not the new USB based controllers.

You could also use the above board with a $3 Bluetooth module. You'd need to load a new program to use some of these controllers.

Ok, Ill have to look into that after school and work.

• Duane Degn wrote: »
    Here are my suggestions.

This motor.

28819.png?itok=Qe7nXLS4

28231.png?itok=WLlepLcA

Instead of that motor would I be able to run any of these motors?

And how would I go about setting up that motor control to be used with a transmitter and receiver?