Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Project XI-AR1 — Parallax Forums

Project XI-AR1

xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
edited 2014-07-05 10:21 in Robotics
The Xanadu Industrial Aēchos Rover 1 is a lightweight tracked robot. Designed for outdoor use the AR1 combines a modern low profile mobile platform with extended run time.

Features
Propeller Project Board http://parallax.com/product/32810
Dual 12v 150rpm motors with quadrature encoders http://www.pololu.com/product/2284
Dual VNH2SP30 Motor Driver - http://www.pololu.com/product/708 (in place of Roboclaw at the moment)
2” Tracks (x2) http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-511-track-2-wide-x-21-links-23-single.aspx
ePVC Chassis http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=33732&catid=733

I've attached the comparison chart below. You should be able to extrapolate the arrogated data from the graph -
359jy87.jpg

Comments

• xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2013-11-19 13:45
    This post will have the original protochassis.

Here are PDF plans for the Lynxmotion 2" tracks and 6 Link Sprockets. There are no measurements on the plans because they are not accurate enough for production work. You can print the PDF (make sure you sprint actual size) and use it as a template to cut ePVC with no problems. Do not cut your ePVC until you have all of your track parts in hand. The best way to cut ePVC is with a nice new sharp blade with a decent size handle to grip.

Untitled5.pdf

Here is the most recent photo, using the plans above.

riw20j.jpg

24loth2.jpg

Black: 2200mah 3 cell lipo
    Yellow: Mini-Box PSU
    Green: Propeller Project Board cut in half (pending custom propeller board
    Grey: RC Receiver
    Blue: Motor Driver
    Purple: +5v and Gnd x10 .1" headers on perfboard
    edited 2013-11-20 13:40
    I received the two 150rpm gear motors. They're very strong, I can't even come close to stalling one with my fingers and the max current draw I've seen at 12v was .75A.

Today I will be seeing if there are any differences between the two motors and doing some run testing. Once that is done I can start planning the main power bus and battery. I usually build my robots around the power source. This time I'm really not approaching from a particular direction because I do not have all of the parts on hand.

First test is the quadrature encoders. To do this I use a bench top power supply and my DSO only. WARNINGING Do not use bench PSU with regenerative MCUs. :The encoders should be both producing the same signal at the same RPM, and the RPM difference between the two motors shouldn't be too much. I will probably do some load testing overnight. The main object of this is to identify any hardware issues, as well as collect my own data on power consumption.

2ih8or7.jpg
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-11-20 14:01
    That's a nice looking motor.

So how many transitions per second are you seeing?

Is this project going to be done in Spin/PASM or are you going to use C?

Thanks for the update. I'm watching with much interest.
    edited 2013-11-20 16:09
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    That's a nice looking motor.

So how many transitions per second are you seeing?

Is this project going to be done in Spin/PASM or are you going to use C?

Thanks for the update. I'm watching with much interest.

Thanks this is the same one you're using. Glad I went with it, seems like an all-purpose small to medium size solution with plenty of torque for tracks.

According to the datasheet at 150 RPM it should be just over 10k transitions per second. I should use my counter to check that out too. Right now they're both running full power whilst I measure their temperature.

For the programming I rely on a lot of objects so probably SPIN/PASM, although I will be evaluating that next. I would like to start using C on the Propeller. The Roboclaw controller has a dead channel and the tracks and chassis don't arrive until Friday so I have some time to decide.

Initially I will be using the motor controller to handle the encoders. That is why I had picked the Roboclaw. I think I will go back to Roboteq. I would love to put the new 2 channel Sabertooth on it but it doesn't have encoder inputs. I need to get it rolling quickly. I have to have a working proof of concept asap. Not the robot itself but pictures of wildlife taken from it.
    edited 2013-11-21 11:06
    About the Propeller and encoders. The encoder is 64 CPR, that is 4331 CPR at the shaft. At maximum 150 RPM (2.5 RP/S) that is 10827.5 ticks per second.

That is well within the Prop's capabilities correct?

This Object http://obex.parallax.com/object/213 says it can do "The sample period is about 4us. This allows a conservative 125,000 - (8us apart) encoder ticks per second per channel."

I'm going to ditch the idea of using the motor controller for encoders as of now. I've been looking at the encoder Objects and it's a lot easier than I thought. Just want to make sure of the above because this would be the first time using encoders with the Propeller.
    edited 2013-11-21 12:08
    xanadu wrote: »
    The encoder is 64 CPR, that is 4331 CPR at the shaft. At maximum 150 RPM (2.5 RP/S) that is 10827.5 ticks per second.

That is well within the Prop's capabilities correct?

I'm pretty sure the Prop can handle this fine. I wrote my own encoder object since I needed four channels. My object (it's been posted to the forum but it's probably well hidden) keeps a running average of the speed of the motors.

I've been thinking about the need of slow movement. 4331 ticks per rotation may be enough to use ticks per unit time for speed measurements but there's also the possibility of measuring the time between transitions. By timing the transitions you should be able to improve the accuracy of the speed calculations.

I've worked a little on timing transitions for my Rover 5 robots since they only have 333.3 transitions per revolution. You probably don't need to worry about this with the Pololu motors. I just thought I'd let you know of the different methods of computing speed.

It would be interesting to see just how slowly these motors could be made to rotate. Could you get it to turn one rev per hour? What would it sound like moving that slow?

Speaking of sound, I went through and tested a bunch of my motors and servos. The only motors I found quieter than the Pololu motors were motors with much less power. Within my limited collection, I think the Pololu motors offer the best trade off between sound and power.
    edited 2013-11-21 20:14
    I was wondering about transitions vs ticks (or counts). Timing the transitions is an interesting prospect. I was also only considering the higher rpm range. If something allows for better control at lower RPM that is what I'd like the end result to be.

I've been playing with reading the encoders with the Propeller. Since I have no motor controller large enough I'm using my adjustable power supply. I couldn't use the encoders to control its speed but I did test out the lowest speeds I could get it to.

At .37v @ .12ma the encoder wheel is hardly spinning so the output shaft of the motor is super slow. As slow as it looked it was actually about a minute and a half per revolution. The sound at that speed isn't measurable. Background noise of a quiet office is louder.

I agree about the sound and power. Roomba motors are pretty quiet too.

There's no ETA on the return of the motor controller. The tech said if one channel didn't work the board needs to be fixed it was pretty painless phone call. He said that I was overloading the BEC. The BEC says 150ma max. I had a Spektrum rx [20ma] and two [10ma] encoders, so 40ma. How that exceeds 150ma is beyond me but I'm not going to argue with an exchange and the place is 40 minutes from here so it should be quick. I looked at controllers again and there needs to be a smaller HB-25! Pololu offered me a discount on a different controller. Encoder inputs aside, for the amp range I need it's really the best deal. I guess I'll go with it and wait. The reality of not being able to rush into this and have it up and running in a couple days is setting in...
    edited 2013-11-22 20:04
    The sheet of ePVC came today.

4lhh6f.jpg

A large sheet of it bends easy but a smaller piece is very rigid. 0.2" should be a good thickness to begin the chassis prototyping. The only hold up is that the tracks are advertised as ~21". Need to know the exact size. The track's nylon rollers will be adjustable to get the right track tension, but not by much. There will be five rollers on each side, one powered hub and one free spinning.

I would like to do what I did below with Vex tracks. That was my first scratch built BS2 based robot.

2096r2f.jpg

I'd like to do a flat track this time. Keep the chassis lower profile, doesn't need that kind of ground clearance. We want to sneak up on things. It will also be fun to drive FPV with the camera that low to the ground. You could get lost in your own backyard lol.

To be continued.
    edited 2013-11-24 13:29
    Encoder testing continued.

I modified this Object http://obex.parallax.com/object/213 to display the raw encoder values on the PST.
    {{
    ┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐               
    │ Quadrature Encoder Engine                                                                                                   │
    │                                                                                                                             │
    │ Author: Kwabena W. Agyeman                                                                                                  │                              
    │ Updated: 2/28/2010                                                                                                          │
    │ Designed For: P8X32A - No Port B.                                                                                           │
    │                                                                                                                             │
    │ Copyright (c) 2010 Kwabena W. Agyeman                                                                                       │              
    │ See end of file for terms of use.                                                                                           │               
    │ Driver Info:                                                                                                                │
    │ The driver is only guaranteed and tested to work at an 80Mhz system clock or higher.                                        │
    │ Also this driver uses constants defined below to setup pin input and output ports.                                          │
    │ Additionally the driver spin function library is designed to be acessed by only one spin interpreter at a time.             │
    │ To acess the driver with multiple spin interpreters at a time use hub locks to assure reliability.                          │
    │ Finally the driver is designed to be included only once in the object tree.                                                 │  
    │ Multiple copies of this object require multiple copies of the source code.                                                  │
    │ Nyamekye,                                                                                                                   │
    └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘ 

This code has been modified from its original version. 

}}

CON                     
                          ''
      Encoder_A_Pin_A = 4 '' ─ Quadrature encoder A channel A active high input.
                          ''
      Encoder_A_Pin_B = 5 '' ─ Quadrature encoder A channel B active high input. 
                          ''
      Encoder_B_Pin_A = 6 '' ─ Quadrature encoder B channel A active high input. 
                          ''
      Encoder_B_Pin_B = 7 '' ─ Quadrature encoder B channel B active high input.

Encoder_Frequency = 100_000 ' Maximum ticks per second. Adjusting this value does nothing. It is here for reference.

_clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x                  
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

VAR

long channelADeltaTicks
      long channelBDeltaTicks

long channelATickFrequency
      long channelBTickFrequency

OBJ

pst : "Parallax Serial Terminal"

PUB Main 

pst.Start(115_200)

QEDEngine

repeat

pst.str (string("Motor 1 "))
       getSpeedA
       pst.dec(channelATickFrequency)
       pst.str (string("   "))

pst.str(string("Motor 2 "))
       getSpeedB
       pst.dec(channelBTickFrequency)
       pst.newline

waitcnt (clkfreq * 1 + cnt)

PUB getDeltaA '' 3 Stack Longs

'' ┌──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
    '' │ Returns the currently accumulated position delta since the last call.                                                    │
    '' │                                                                                                                          │
    '' │ Ticks relate to the number of "ticks" on the wheel of the encoder disk.                                                  │
    '' └──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

return channelADeltaTicks~

PUB getSpeedA '' 3 Stack Longs

'' ┌──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
    '' │ Returns the current tick speed per second. This value updates per tick encoder tick. Takes a while to see zero speed.    │
    '' │                                                                                                                          │
    '' │ This value is recalculated each encoder tick. So it takes a second literally to see when the speed drops to zero.        │
    '' └──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

return (clkfreq / channelATickFrequency)  

PUB getDeltaB '' 3 Stack Longs

'' │ Returns the currently accumulated position delta since the last call.                                                    │
    '' │ Ticks relate to the number of "ticks" on the wheel of the encoder disk.                                                  │

return channelBDeltaTicks~

PUB getSpeedB '' 3 Stack Longs

'' │ Returns the current tick speed per second. This value updates per tick encoder tick. Takes a while to see zero speed.    │
    '' │ This value is recalculated each encoder tick. So it takes a second literally to see when the speed drops to zero.        │

return (clkfreq / channelBTickFrequency)

PUB QEDEngine '' 3 Stack Longs

'' │ Initializes the quadrature encoder driver to run on a new cog.                                                           │
    '' │ Returns the new cog's ID on sucess or -1 on failure.                                                                     │

CHADTAddress := @channelADeltaTicks
      CHATFAddress := @channelATickFrequency 

CHBDTAddress := @channelBDeltaTicks
      CHBTFAddress := @channelBTickFrequency

return cognew(@initialization, 0)

DAT

' /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  
    '                       Quadrature Encoder Driver
    ' /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  

initialization          mov     ctra,              channelASetup ' Setup counters.
                            mov     ctrb,              channelBSetup '
                            mov     frqa,              #1            '
                            mov     frqb,              #1            '

' //////////////////////Channel A//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

loop                    cmp     channelADelta,     phsa wz       ' Check for edge and accumulate.                                                                                                          
    if_nz                   test    channelADirection, ina wc        ' 

mov     channelADelta,     phsa          ' Update delta.

if_nz                   rdlong  buffer,            CHADTAddress  ' Add in delta direction.
    if_nz                   sumc    buffer,            #1            '
    if_nz                   wrlong  buffer,            CHADTAddress  '

if_nz_and_c             movi    speedAFlip,        #1001_001  ' Flip mov to neg if direction is negative. 
    if_nz_and_nc            movi    speedAFlip,        #1000_001  '

if_nz                   mov     lockA,             #0            ' Lock down final value to prevent false overflow triggering.
                            tjnz    lockA,             #skip         '

mov     buffer,            cnt           ' Get time difference.
                            sub     buffer,            outa          '

if_nz                   mov     outa,              cnt           ' Reset time difference on tick.                       

rdlong  counter,           #0            ' Check if difference greater than clock freqeuncy.
                            cmp     buffer,            counter wc    '

if_nc                   neg     lockA,             #1            ' Set false trigger lock.

speedAFlip if_nz_or_nc  mov     buffer,            buffer        ' Update final value.                       
    if_nz_or_nc             wrlong  buffer,            CHATFAddress  '

' //////////////////////Channel B//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

skip                    cmp     channelBDelta,     phsb wz       ' Check for edge and accumulate.                                                                                                          
    if_nz                   test    channelBDirection, ina wc        ' 

mov     channelBDelta,     phsb          ' Update delta.

if_nz                   rdlong  buffer,            CHBDTAddress  ' Add in delta direction.
    if_nz                   wrlong  buffer,            CHBDTAddress  '

if_nz_and_c             movi    speedBFlip,        #1001_001  ' Flip mov to neg if direction is negative. 
    if_nz_and_nc            movi    speedBFlip,        #1000_001  '

if_nz                   mov     lockB,             #0            ' Lock down final value to prevent false overflow triggering.
                            tjnz    lockB,             #loop         '

sub     buffer,            outb          '

if_nz                   mov     outb,              cnt           ' Reset time difference on tick.                       

rdlong  counter,           #0            ' Check if difference greater than clock freqeuncy.

if_nc                   neg     lockB,             #1            ' Set false trigger lock.

speedBFlip if_nz_or_nc  mov     buffer,            buffer        ' Update final value.                       
    if_nz_or_nc             wrlong  buffer,            CHBTFAddress  '

jmp     #loop                            ' Loop.

'                       Data

channelADelta           long    0
    channelBDelta           long    0

' //////////////////////Configuration//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

channelASetup           long    ((010 << 26) + ((Encoder_A_Pin_A <# 31) #> 0)) ' Counter edge detection setup.           
    channelBSetup           long    ((010 << 26) + ((Encoder_B_Pin_A <# 31) #> 0)) ' Counter edge detection setup.

' //////////////////////Pins///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ChannelADirection       long    (|<((Encoder_A_Pin_B <# 31) #> 0)) ' Pin to sample to determine direction.
    ChannelBDirection       long    (|<((Encoder_B_Pin_B <# 31) #> 0)) ' Pin to sample to determine direction.

' //////////////////////Addresses//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CHADTAddress            long    0
    CHATFAddress            long    0
    CHBDTAddress            long    0
    CHBTFAddress            long    0

' //////////////////////Run Time Variables/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

buffer                  res     1
    counter                 res     1

lockA                   res     1
    lockB                   res     1

{{

&#9484;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9488;
    &#9474;                                                   TERMS OF USE: MIT License                                                 &#9474;                                                            
    &#9500;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9508;
    &#9474;Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation   &#9474; 
    &#9474;files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy,   &#9474;
    &#9474;modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the        &#9474;
    &#9474;Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:                                                         &#9474;         
    &#9474;                                                                                                                             &#9474;
    &#9474;The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the         &#9474;
    &#9474;Software.                                                                                                                    &#9474;
    &#9474;                                                                                                                             &#9474;
    &#9474;THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE         &#9474;
    &#9474;WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR        &#9474;
    &#9474;COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE,  &#9474;
    &#9474;ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.                        &#9474;
    &#9492;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9496;
    }}                           

This is what I get for the output:
    Motor 1 -722072   Motor 2 -459400
    Motor 1 -359464   Motor 2 -486888
    Motor 1 -364392   Motor 2 -476504
    Motor 1 -360344   Motor 2 -488296
    Motor 1 -717448   Motor 2 -467880
    Motor 1 -357656   Motor 2 -476008
    Motor 1 -355944   Motor 2 -469992
    Motor 1 -358936   Motor 2 -454856
    Motor 1 -360648   Motor 2 -898088
    Motor 1 -357832   Motor 2 -474040
    Motor 1 -732760   Motor 2 -436024
    Motor 1 -358232   Motor 2 -436024
    Motor 1 -361576   Motor 2 -426696
    Motor 1 -358232   Motor 2 -428104
    Motor 1 -358184   Motor 2 -440456
    Motor 1 -362280   Motor 2 -431272
    Motor 1 -364392   Motor 2 -419128
    Motor 1 -351544   Motor 2 -415608
    Motor 1 -711160   Motor 2 -407160
    Motor 1 -360344   Motor 2 -412264
    Motor 1 -357704   Motor 2 -425288
    Motor 1 -361048   Motor 2 -438840
    Motor 1 -364040   Motor 2 -440248
    Motor 1 -357704   Motor 2 -427752
    Motor 1 -361576   Motor 2 -430040
    Motor 1 -362104   Motor 2 -442184
    Motor 1 -367208   Motor 2 -423000
    Motor 1 -362104   Motor 2 -433208
    Motor 1 -366152   Motor 2 -430392
    Motor 1 -362936   Motor 2 -443800
    Motor 1 -364040   Motor 2 -434088
    Motor 1 -361528   Motor 2 -421800
    Motor 1 -365448   Motor 2 -409832
    Motor 1 -364392   Motor 2 -410504
    Motor 1 -363288   Motor 2 -796680
    Motor 1 -371960   Motor 2 -397304
    Motor 1 -371256   Motor 2 -401704
    Motor 1 -368088   Motor 2 -390616
    Motor 1 -366856   Motor 2 -387128
    Motor 1 -364392   Motor 2 -377592
    Motor 1 -360168   Motor 2 -393608
    Motor 1 -363864   Motor 2 -391672
    Motor 1 -359992   Motor 2 -394488
    Motor 1 -362456   Motor 2 -382136
    Motor 1 -354664   Motor 2 -388360
    Motor 1 -362456   Motor 2 -389912
    Motor 1 -358536   Motor 2 -399096

There are a couple of things I'm wondering.

Why is the number negative? It goes up as the motor speeds up, but why would it start so low?

The other thing I'm wondering is what resistors I should use between the Propeller and the encoder outputs?
    edited 2013-11-24 14:25
    Why is the number negative? It goes up as the motor speeds up, but why would it start so low?

The sign on speed or distance is arbitrary. If you switch the encoder pin assignments (change 4, 5, 6, 7 to 5, 4, 7, 6) the sign of the speed should be positive.

I think the values displayed are supposed to be the number of encoder ticks per second but I'm not so sure about that. The numbers sure are bigger than what I'd expect. I looked through the code some but Kye is often too clever for me to follow, which is the case here.

You might want to try manually inputting encoder ticks with a pair of push buttons or switches in order to get what you're seeing to make sense.
    The other thing I'm wondering is what resistors I should use between the Propeller and the encoder outputs?

This depends on how you're powering the encoders. Some encoders will work with 3.3V. The Pololu encoders say they should work at 3.6V but I've been using 5V on mine with 10K ohm resistors. The encoders should be able to work with the motor's 12V supply in which case you'd want the resistors to be 24K or higher. The Prop's input pins can handle voltages higher than 3.3V but the current has to be kept below 500uA. It would be interesting to see if he encoders would work powered with 3.3V.
    edited 2013-11-24 15:33
    Thanks Duane. I tried swapping the encoder pins and I get a positive number, but when the motors speed up the number decreases.

The numbers are a lot larger than I thought as well, I'm not sure what it means about returning three longs either.

I'm using 10k resistors and 5v power on the encoders. I tried 3.3v with these encoders and it seems to work okay.

You're right, I need to break this down a little further and use push buttons instead of the encoder to play with the variables.
    edited 2013-11-24 15:50
    It looks like you might not be using the getSpeed methods correctly.

Instead of:
       getSpeedA
       pst.dec(channelATickFrequency)
       pst.str (string("   "))

getSpeedB
       pst.dec(channelBTickFrequency)
       pst.newline

Try:

pst.dec(getSpeedA)
       pst.str (string("   "))

pst.dec(getSpeedB)
       pst.newline

The methods getSpeedX return the speed value. I don't think they change the value of "channelXTickFrequency".

I'm not sure what you mean by "returning three longs". Kye likes to list the amount of stack space his methods require. I don't know how he calculates these values they're aren't associated with the return value of the method. A method can only return a single long. This long can be a pointer to other data but in this case "getSpeed" returns the speed for that particular channel.

Let's say you add these variables:
    VAR

long channelADeltaTicks
      long channelBDeltaTicks

[COLOR=#ff0000] long speed1, speed2[/COLOR]

Then you could use these to store the speed values returned from "GetSpeed".
       speed1 := getSpeedA
       pst.dec(speed1)
       pst.str (string("   "))
       speed2 := getSpeedB
       pst.dec(speed2)
       pst.newline

If you're using these speeds in a PID algorithm, you'll want to make sure it doesn't take a full second to update to the current speed. I don't know Kye's driver well enough how you'd use it with a PID algorithm.
    edited 2013-11-24 16:50
    GetSpeedA returns a DEC value of :
    Motor 1 227   Motor 2 111
    Motor 1 232   Motor 2 217
    Motor 1 232   Motor 2 215
    Motor 1 233   Motor 2 215
    Motor 1 234   Motor 2 215
    Motor 1 230   Motor 2 216
    Motor 1 230   Motor 2 214
    Motor 1 233   Motor 2 220
    Motor 1 231   Motor 2 217
    Motor 1 228   Motor 2 218
    Motor 1 226   Motor 2 216
    Motor 1 224   Motor 2 218
    Motor 1 224   Motor 2 223
    Motor 1 224   Motor 2 220
    Motor 1 224   Motor 2 226
    Motor 1 222   Motor 2 218
    Motor 1 224   Motor 2 213
    Motor 1 224   Motor 2 215
    Motor 1 226   Motor 2 224
    Motor 1 229   Motor 2 227
    Motor 1 227   Motor 2 220
    Motor 1 224   Motor 2 219
    Motor 1 223   Motor 2 215
    Motor 1 226   Motor 2 216
    Motor 1 226   Motor 2 218

I thought I had tried that before and it was the same number. Must be getting late...

This number is much lower, and is positive while maintaining an increase with an increase in RPM, so this is huge, thank you. I think I really need to pickup the Prop Ed book and review a few things.

Thanks for the explanation on three longs. I had thought that it was returning a number too large to fit into one long.

Using PID I will update much faster this is just to make the PST easy to read.

If the encoder is measuring ticks per second on a quadrature encoder since there are two detectors would that be two pulses per "tick"?

I think I also need to factor in 3441 ticks per R, and then the number above seems small.

This is how I have it broken down:
    repeat

rpm1 := GetSpeedA                 'ticks per second
       rpm2 := rpm1/4331                  'number of ticks per revolution
       rpm3 := rpm2*60                      'number of revolutions in one minute 
       pst.dec (rpm3)                         'output

I've tried a lot of the above. My motor is spinning fixed around 13 rpm. I haven't come anywhere near close to that value :(
    edited 2013-11-24 17:50
    I think this is because of integer math. If I'm converting ticks per second to revolutions per second I'm ending up with numbers like .23 rpm.
    repeat

rpm1 := GetSpeedA              'number of ticks per second
       rpm2 := rpm1/4331              'raw ticks divided by ticks per revolution 
       rpm3 := rpm2*60                'convert to RPM                     '
       pst.dec (rpm3)
       pst.str (string("   "))

If the encoder travels 1444 ticks that is about 1/3 of a revolution of the output shaft. If I'm converting ticks per second into revolutions per second I'd have to divide the ticks by the total number of ticks 1444/4431 which equals .33 revolutions per second or 19 rpm.

So I guess I need to work around that next.
    edited 2013-11-24 18:14
    I bypassed the decimal by adding zeros:
     repeat

pst.str (string("Motor 1: "))
       rpm1 := GetSpeedA*100         'number of ticks per second add two zeros
       rpm2 := rpm1/4331          'raw ticks divided by ticks per revolution  
       rpm3 := rpm2*60           'convert to RPM
       rpm4 := rpm3/100           'remove two zeros (should be RPM)       
       pst.dec (rpm1)
       pst.str (string("   "))
       pst.dec (rpm2)
       pst.str (string("   "))
       pst.dec (rpm3)
       pst.str (string("   "))
       pst.dec (rpm4)

pst.newline

waitcnt (clkfreq * 1 + cnt)

I get this:
    Motor 1: 26200   6   360   3
    Motor 1: 26500   6   360   3
    Motor 1: 25900   5   300   3
    Motor 1: 26000   6   360   3
    Motor 1: 26000   6   360   3
    Motor 1: 25900   5   300   3
    Motor 1: 26300   6   360   3
    Motor 1: 25800   5   300   3
    Motor 1: 25800   5   300   3

This number is easy enough to work with, but it is not accurate. It's off by around 9 RPM.
    edited 2013-11-24 18:56
    After giving it a lot of thought, I really do not need accurate RPM. A bigger number is better to work with because it offers a lot more resolution. This resolution helps between RPM for ramping and making sure both motors are going the same speed. I have more than enough to work with and anxiously await the motor controllers!

Thanks for the help Duane. I'm going to start building the chassis on Monday :)
    edited 2013-11-24 18:57
    Have you tried adding another zero (or two) before you divide?

Try:
    rpm1 := GetSpeedA * 10000

You can use this method to display this sort of scaled integer.
    PUB DecPoint(value, denominator)  if value < 0
        Pst.Char("-")
        -value

if value => denominator
        result := value / denominator
        Pst.Dec(result)
        value //= denominator     
      else    
        Pst.Char("0")
      Pst.Char(".")  
      repeat while denominator > 1
        denominator /= 10
        if value => denominator
          result := value / denominator
          Pst.Dec(result)
          value //= denominator
        else
          Pst.Char("0")

In this example you'd use 1000 as the denominator parameter.
    repeat

pst.str (string("Motor 1: "))
       rpm1 := GetSpeedA*10000         'number of ticks per second add four zeros
       rpm2 := rpm1/4331          'raw ticks divided by ticks per revolution  
       rpm3 := rpm2*60           'convert to RPM
       'rpm4 := rpm3/100           'remove two zeros (should be RPM)       
       pst.dec(rpm1)
       pst.str(string("   "))
       pst.dec(rpm2)
       pst.str(string("   "))
       DecPoint(rpm3, 10000)

You just need to be careful your scaled value don't exceed 32-bits. In this case you're okay with adding four zeros but five would be too many.

I don't what Kye's object considers a tick.
    edited 2013-11-24 19:34
    Okay I'm happy with the encoder output now. If you have some Pololu Gear Motors and a Propeller Microcontroller you can use this to display values directly proportional to the motor's speed. Don't forget at least (@≤5v) 10k ohm resistors on your Propeller encoder input pins.
    {{
    &#9484;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9488;               
    &#9474; Quadrature Encoder Engine                                                                                                   &#9474;
    &#9474; Author: Kwabena W. Agyeman                                                                                                  &#9474;                              
    &#9474; Updated: 2/28/2010                                                                                                          &#9474;
    &#9474; Designed For: P8X32A - No Port B.                                                                                           &#9474;
    &#9474; Copyright (c) 2010 Kwabena W. Agyeman                                                                                       &#9474;              
    &#9474; See end of file for terms of use.                                                                                           &#9474;               
    &#9474; Driver Info:                                                                                                                &#9474;
    &#9474; The driver is only guaranteed and tested to work at an 80Mhz system clock or higher.                                        &#9474;
    &#9474; Also this driver uses constants defined below to setup pin input and output ports.                                          &#9474;
    &#9474; Additionally the driver spin function library is designed to be acessed by only one spin interpreter at a time.             &#9474;
    &#9474; To acess the driver with multiple spin interpreters at a time use hub locks to assure reliability.                          &#9474;
    &#9474; Finally the driver is designed to be included only once in the object tree.                                                 &#9474;  
    &#9474; Multiple copies of this object require multiple copies of the source code.                                                  &#9474;
    &#9474; Nyamekye,                                                                                                                   &#9474;
    &#9492;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9496; 

}}

CON                     
                          ''
      Encoder_A_Pin_A = 4 '' &#61615;&#9472;&#61620; Quadrature encoder A channel A active high input.
                          ''
      Encoder_A_Pin_B = 5 '' &#61615;&#9472;&#61620; Quadrature encoder A channel B active high input. 
                          ''
      Encoder_B_Pin_A = 6 '' &#61615;&#9472;&#61620; Quadrature encoder B channel A active high input. 
                          ''
      Encoder_B_Pin_B = 7 '' &#61615;&#9472;&#61620; Quadrature encoder B channel B active high input.

Encoder_Frequency = 100_000 ' Maximum ticks per second. Adjusting this value does nothing. It is here for reference.

_xinfreq = 5_000_000

VAR

long channelADeltaTicks
      long channelBDeltaTicks

long rpm1
      long rpm2
      long rpm3
      long rpm4
      long rpm1b
      long rpm2b
      long rpm3b
      long rpm4b

OBJ

PUB Main 

pst.Start(115_200)                'enable Parallax Serial Terminal
     waitcnt (clkfreq * 1 + cnt)       'wait a second for PST enable
     pst.str (string("resart"))        'restart warning
     pst.newline                       'leave this line blank

QEDEngine                         'start the encoder driver

repeat                            'main loop

pst.str (string("Motor 1: "))   'print to PST
       rpm1 := GetSpeedA*1000          'number of ticks per second add three zeros
       rpm2 := rpm1/4331               'full revolution = 4331, divided by ticks per sec = revs per sec  
       rpm3 := rpm2*60                 'convert revs per sec to RPM
       rpm4 := rpm3/100                'remove two zeros (leave one for better speed resolution) 
       pst.dec (rpm4)                  'show the motor speed on PST
       pst.str (string("   "))         'put some space between the numbers

pst.str (string("Motor 2: "))   'print to PST
       rpm1b := GetSpeedB*1000         'number of ticks per second add three zeros
       rpm2b := rpm1b/4331             'full revolution = 4331, divided by ticks per sec = revs per sec  
       rpm3b := rpm2b*60               'convert revs per sec to RPM
       rpm4b := rpm3b/100              'remove two zeros (leave one for better speed resolution) 
       pst.dec (rpm4b)                 'show the motor speed on PST 
       pst.str (string("   "))         'put some space between the numbers

pst.newline                     'leave this line blank

waitcnt (clkfreq / 50 + cnt)   'slow refresh rate a bit

'' &#9484;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9488;
    '' &#9474; Returns the currently accumulated position delta since the last call.                                                    &#9474;
    '' &#9474;                                                                                                                          &#9474;
    '' &#9474; Ticks relate to the number of "ticks" on the wheel of the encoder disk.                                                  &#9474;
    '' &#9492;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9496;

'' &#9484;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9488;
    '' &#9474; Returns the current tick speed per second. This value updates per tick encoder tick. Takes a while to see zero speed.    &#9474;
    '' &#9474;                                                                                                                          &#9474;
    '' &#9474; This value is recalculated each encoder tick. So it takes a second literally to see when the speed drops to zero.        &#9474;
    '' &#9492;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9496;

'' &#9474; Returns the currently accumulated position delta since the last call.                                                    &#9474;
    '' &#9474; Ticks relate to the number of "ticks" on the wheel of the encoder disk.                                                  &#9474;

'' &#9474; Returns the current tick speed per second. This value updates per tick encoder tick. Takes a while to see zero speed.    &#9474;
    '' &#9474; This value is recalculated each encoder tick. So it takes a second literally to see when the speed drops to zero.        &#9474;

'' &#9474; Initializes the quadrature encoder driver to run on a new cog.                                                           &#9474;
    '' &#9474; Returns the new cog's ID on sucess or -1 on failure.                                                                     &#9474;

DAT

initialization          mov     ctra,              channelASetup ' Setup counters.

' //////////////////////Channel A//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

loop                    cmp     channelADelta,     phsa wz       ' Check for edge and accumulate.                                                                                                          

if_nz                   rdlong  buffer,            CHADTAddress  ' Add in delta direction.

if_nz_and_c             movi    speedAFlip,        #%101001_001  ' Flip mov to neg if direction is negative. 
    if_nz_and_nc            movi    speedAFlip,        #%101000_001  '

if_nz                   mov     lockA,             #0            ' Lock down final value to prevent false overflow triggering.

if_nz                   mov     outa,              cnt           ' Reset time difference on tick.                       

if_nc                   neg     lockA,             #1            ' Set false trigger lock.

speedAFlip if_nz_or_nc  mov     buffer,            buffer        ' Update final value.                       

' //////////////////////Channel B//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

skip                    cmp     channelBDelta,     phsb wz       ' Check for edge and accumulate.                                                                                                          

if_nz                   rdlong  buffer,            CHBDTAddress  ' Add in delta direction.

if_nz_and_c             movi    speedBFlip,        #%101001_001  ' Flip mov to neg if direction is negative. 
    if_nz_and_nc            movi    speedBFlip,        #%101000_001  '

if_nz                   mov     lockB,             #0            ' Lock down final value to prevent false overflow triggering.

if_nz                   mov     outb,              cnt           ' Reset time difference on tick.                       

if_nc                   neg     lockB,             #1            ' Set false trigger lock.

speedBFlip if_nz_or_nc  mov     buffer,            buffer        ' Update final value.                       

' //////////////////////Configuration//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

channelASetup           long    ((%01010 << 26) + ((Encoder_A_Pin_A <# 31) #> 0)) ' Counter edge detection setup.           
    channelBSetup           long    ((%01010 << 26) + ((Encoder_B_Pin_A <# 31) #> 0)) ' Counter edge detection setup.

' //////////////////////Pins///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ChannelADirection       long    (|<((Encoder_A_Pin_B <# 31) #> 0)) ' Pin to sample to determine direction.
    ChannelBDirection       long    (|<((Encoder_B_Pin_B <# 31) #> 0)) ' Pin to sample to determine direction.

' //////////////////////Addresses//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

' //////////////////////Run Time Variables/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

{{

&#9474;                                                   TERMS OF USE: MIT License                                                 &#9474;                                                            
    &#9500;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9508;
    &#9474;Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation   &#9474; 
    &#9474;files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy,   &#9474;
    &#9474;modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the        &#9474;
    &#9474;Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:                                                         &#9474;         
    &#9474;The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the         &#9474;
    &#9474;Software.                                                                                                                    &#9474;
    &#9474;THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE         &#9474;
    &#9474;WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR        &#9474;
    &#9474;COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE,  &#9474;
    &#9474;ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.                        &#9474;
    }}                           

Should give you an output that looks like this -
    Motor 1: 70   Motor 2: 65
    Motor 1: 72   Motor 2: 64
    Motor 1: 72   Motor 2: 66
    Motor 1: 71   Motor 2: 66
    Motor 1: 70   Motor 2: 66
    Motor 1: 70   Motor 2: 67
    Motor 1: 23   Motor 2: 67
    Motor 1: 70   Motor 2: 67
    Motor 1: 72   Motor 2: 33
    Motor 1: 71   Motor 2: 67
    Motor 1: 72   Motor 2: 67
    Motor 1: 70   Motor 2: 65
    Motor 1: 72   Motor 2: 64
    Motor 1: 71   Motor 2: 65
    Motor 1: 72   Motor 2: 65

The above output was at a very slow motor speed. If you stop your motor you will see 0. At 12v I am seeing about 300, that gives me 300 different speeds to play with. Next I'll try to add some pulse outputs to control a servo to maintain a constant speed. The servo will simulate the motor controller I do not have at the moment.
    edited 2013-11-24 22:25
    Well I just couldn't resist... I added a servo to simulate PWM to H bridge, cause I'm lacking an H bridge strong enough. I hot glued a servo horn to my adjustable power supply for kicks. The code will hold whatever RPM you get from the supply voltage. Any weird fluctuation you see is the cheesy adjustment on the power supply.

[video=youtube_share;Y9DJjQ7jaLc]

{{
    &#9484;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9488;               
    &#9474; Quadrature Encoder Engine                                                                                                   &#9474;
    &#9474; Author: Kwabena W. Agyeman                                                                                                  &#9474;                              
    &#9474; Updated: 2/28/2010                                                                                                          &#9474;
    &#9474; Designed For: P8X32A - No Port B.                                                                                           &#9474;
    &#9474; Copyright (c) 2010 Kwabena W. Agyeman                                                                                       &#9474;              
    &#9474; See end of file for terms of use.                                                                                           &#9474;               
    &#9474; Driver Info:                                                                                                                &#9474;
    &#9474; The driver is only guaranteed and tested to work at an 80Mhz system clock or higher.                                        &#9474;
    &#9474; Also this driver uses constants defined below to setup pin input and output ports.                                          &#9474;
    &#9474; Additionally the driver spin function library is designed to be acessed by only one spin interpreter at a time.             &#9474;
    &#9474; To acess the driver with multiple spin interpreters at a time use hub locks to assure reliability.                          &#9474;
    &#9474; Finally the driver is designed to be included only once in the object tree.                                                 &#9474;  
    &#9474; Multiple copies of this object require multiple copies of the source code.                                                  &#9474;
    &#9474; Nyamekye,                                                                                                                   &#9474;
    &#9492;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9496; 

}}

CON

ServoPin = 1 '' Servo signal to this I/O pin-change if needed                    
                          ''
      Encoder_A_Pin_A = 4 '' &#61615;&#9472;&#61620; Quadrature encoder A channel A active high input.
                          ''
      Encoder_A_Pin_B = 5 '' &#61615;&#9472;&#61620; Quadrature encoder A channel B active high input. 
                          ''
      Encoder_B_Pin_A = 6 '' &#61615;&#9472;&#61620; Quadrature encoder B channel A active high input. 
                          ''
      Encoder_B_Pin_B = 7 '' &#61615;&#9472;&#61620; Quadrature encoder B channel B active high input.

Encoder_Frequency = 100_000 '' Maximum ticks per second. Adjusting this value does nothing. It is here for reference.

_xinfreq = 5_000_000

VAR

long channelADeltaTicks
      long channelBDeltaTicks

long rpm1
      long rpm2
      long rpm3
      long rpm4
      long rpm1b
      long rpm2b
      long rpm3b
      long rpm4b

long pulsewidth[60]
      long servostack[30]
      long altstack[30]
      long debugstack[30]
      long txstack[30]
      long rxinput

long epos
      long speed

OBJ

PUB Main 

pst.Start(115_200)                'enable Parallax Serial Terminal
     waitcnt (clkfreq * 1 + cnt)       'wait a second for PST enable
     pst.str (string("resart"))        'restart warning
     pst.newline                       'leave this line blank
     speed := 1500                     ' init the speed var

QEDEngine                         'start the encoder driver

cognew(servoc,@servostack)        'enable PWM to motor controller

repeat                            'main loop

pst.str (string("Motor: "))     'print to PST
       rpm1 := GetSpeedA*1000          'number of ticks per second add three zeros
       rpm2 := rpm1/4331               'full revolution = 4331, divided by ticks per sec = revs per sec  
       rpm3 := rpm2*60                 'convert revs per sec to RPM
       rpm4 := rpm3/100                'remove two zeros (leave one for better speed resolution)
       epos := rpm4 + speed            'sync the servo with the encoder
       waitcnt (clkfreq / 50 + cnt)    'slow refresh rate a bit

PUB Servoc | tInc, tc, tHa, t 

ctra[30..26] := 100                                  ' Configure Counter A to NCO
     ctra[8..0]   := servoPin

frqa := 1
     dira[servoPin]~~

' Set up cycle and high times
     tInc := clkfreq/1_000_000
     tC   := tInc * 21_500
     tHa  := tInc * 1500                         
     t    := cnt                                             ' Mark counter time

repeat                                                  ' Repeat PWM signal
       tHa  := tInc *epos                                    ' Sync servo position/encoder
       phsa := -tHa                                          ' Set up the pulse + Gain
       t += tC                                               ' Calculate next cycle repeat
       waitcnt(t)                                            ' Wait for next cycle

'' &#9484;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9488;
    '' &#9492;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9496;

'' &#9484;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9488;
    '' &#9492;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9496;

'' &#9474; Initializes the quadrature encoder driver to run on a new cog.                                                           &#9474;
    '' &#9474; Returns the new cog's ID on sucess or -1 on failure.                                                                     &#9474;

DAT

if_nz_and_c             movi    speedAFlip,        #1001_001  ' Flip mov to neg if direction is negative. 
    if_nz_and_nc            movi    speedAFlip,        #1000_001  '

if_nz_and_c             movi    speedBFlip,        #1001_001  ' Flip mov to neg if direction is negative. 
    if_nz_and_nc            movi    speedBFlip,        #1000_001  '

channelASetup           long    ((010 << 26) + ((Encoder_A_Pin_A <# 31) #> 0)) ' Counter edge detection setup.           
    channelBSetup           long    ((010 << 26) + ((Encoder_B_Pin_A <# 31) #> 0)) ' Counter edge detection setup.

{{

&#9484;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9488;
    &#9500;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9508;
    &#9492;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;  &#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9496;
    }}                           

edited 2013-11-25 08:38
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Have you tried adding another zero (or two) before you divide?

I must have been trying that as you were writing it. I actually remembered this from a older forum thread by someone else. Something about if you need decimal your code isn't right. Anyway now I know what they were talking about.

Thanks again for breaking it down in an easy to understand fashion. I greatly appreciate the help. I feel like redoing all of that code from yesterday. I'm really starting to like motor encoders :)
    edited 2013-11-25 16:49
    Oceanside, CA. Not sure why I'm posting this...

23ly368.jpg

Houston, we have tracks!

2rm3zep.jpg

"Some" assembly required. Mkay....

1z1skyr.jpg

I don't know what to think about these tracks right now. I had a bunch of stuff to say but I'll hold off until I get to know them a little better. The tracks themselves are great the hardware raises some concerns. I may not be able to use the ePVC the way I intended. To be cont.
    edited 2013-11-25 17:14
    Beautiful pics (all three).

I'm very curious about these treads myself. I'm looking forward to reading your opinion about them.

I'll be interested to know how you think they compare with the less expensive Vex treads.
    edited 2013-11-25 22:11
    Vex vs. Lynxmotion Tracks

Vex tracks are lighter, less expensive and probably the best option for indoor use. They may slip a little more which is bad for odometery, however a little slip reduced a lot of loading on the hubs and chassis. ePVC and Vex seem to compliment each other. Vex tracks sprockets ride in the center of the track which is skinnier than the Lynx tracks. Vex tracks were a little easier to setup because they come as a kit with less guessing what you need to do a complete robot. The Vex idler assemblies were far easier to work with. The Vex idlers also had slotted holes for adjustment which meant a simple hole on the chassis side.

Lynxmotion tracks are heavier, but the rubber surface provides mega traction. They slip less, but cause a lot more loading on the hubs. I suppose odometery would be better due to less slip. Using ePVC with these tracks seems a little unfair to the ePVC. Aluminum or rigid plastic would be a better choice for the Lynx tracks. The Lynx tracks do not ride on the center, the sprockets are closer to the chassis side. Not sure why this is but it doesn't seem to cause any issues other than aesthetics.

Overall, they're both great choices. Both have individual links you can size to your project which is great. I think a good cut off weight would be around 2-3lbs. If you're going to build something more than a few pounds the Lynx are very suitable. Anything less than a few pounds the Vex will probably do just as well, if not better due to weight and nice idler assemblies.
    edited 2013-11-25 22:21
    It's track time. I wasn't looking for perfection here. I've never worked with ePVC or this track hardware. Things are likely to change, this is a pretty rough cut. There are some things that don't line up. I'm still not really sure why the hubs on these tracks are made the way they are. I'm pretty sure at this point I am not using ePVC for the side panels seen below. For the idler I have to sink a bearing into the ePVC, the ePVC doesn't really like that. Not much to bite on....

2hwct9f.jpg

28l9n9i.jpg

2jcu2pe.jpg

^^That isn't lined up because of the way the axle mates with the bearing.

33u8upt.jpg

[video=youtube_share;rUkSEJ077JY]
    edited 2013-11-25 23:29
    Thanks for the comparison between the Vex and Lynxmotion treads.

I was looking around at the Lynxmotion site and I don't think this assessment is correct.
    The Lynx tracks do not ride on the center, the sprockets are closer to the chassis side. Not sure why this is but it doesn't seem to cause any issues other than aesthetics.

It looks like the treads could be driven from one edge but I don't think they're meant to be used like that. I think you're supposed to have the drive sprockets centered in the treads. This will require careful placement of the motor so it fits inside the treads a bit. I don't think you'll be able to mount the motor the way it is currently mounted and get the motor far enough inside the tread to position the drive sprocket where it needs to be.

I think you'll need to use the motor mounts and build a platform to position the motor correctly.

VexTreads130928a.jpg

I had to do something similar when using these motors with the Vex treads.
    edited 2013-11-26 13:00
    I see what you're saying. There are a few factors at play here. The most important probably being the 2.75" diameter drive sprockets are too small for this size motor. I should have gotten the 3.75" ones. Now with a design like yours that has a triangle shape you can use any size sprocket because there is an area where there are no tracks to hit the motor mount. With my tracks I want them flat like in the video above.

You can see the motor and mount attached to the drive sprocket in this picture. If I stick the motor out like that, the track hits the mount no matter where you mount it. This is where a smaller motor, or larger drive sprocket would solve a lot of problems. I would most likely go with larger drive sprockets.

307rn2u.jpg

The idler issue. In the pic below you will see one idler sprocket and also one nylon idler. Neither of them is wide enough to be centered without building some kind of fancy frame around the outside. The idle sprocket can be put together a few different ways. In the picture below I put it together as specified in their Tri-trak kit. It works for that kit because the frame is smaller than the tracks and the tracks ride along the outside.

25eyy36.jpg

So I searched the web for other people using these tracks and I see most people are just using them off center. That is why I was blaming the track for the issue and not my chassis. It seems these are really just spare parts for the Tri-Trak kit, and other than the tracks them selves you need to fabricate idlers and hubs.

I'm going to order some larger drive sprockets, at least that way the motor can ride in the center. That buys me a lot of time to figure out what to do with the idlers.

There is tons of hardware out there that I can use to do this right. I just need to stay away from the Tri-Track kit stuff because my chassis design is nothing like that. Unfortunately I had just assumed those parts would work on anything like the VEX do.
    edited 2013-11-26 14:11
    Thanks for the update.

I understand your choices much better now.

I think the Vex tread would come awfully close to the motors without a triangular design. I think it's interesting how convenient the off center drive shaft is on the Pololu motors. I know it make my treaded robot easier to make.

I think the main disadvantage of having the sprockets off center is it will like increase the twisting torque the track undergoes on uneven ground. I doubt it would cause much trouble but it would reduce the overall strength of the assembly a bit by having the sprockets off center.

Looking back at Amanda's robot, I'm pretty sure she's using the sprockets off center.

I don't suppose Lynxmotion will let you exchange sprockets?

BTW, I switched my encoders over to using the 3.3V logic and they work fine. I'm working on combining my four quadrature encoder object with my four motor control object. I'm hoping there's time in the control loop to both read the encoders and pulse the power pins. I'm pretty sure it should work (if coded correctly).
    edited 2013-11-26 19:08
    I like the off center shaft as well. It allows you to get closer to the edge in some cases.

I did some reconfiguring. I made an assembly that rides inside of the track. It is actually really solid when you do this, like holding a brick. The tracks ride a lot smoother.

311kz5x.jpg

2dl29v5.jpg

knwn5.jpg

In these pics the tracks are upside down, oops.

I was hoping to have the motors inside the chassis. Another reason to run larger sprockets. I'm going to continue with this as is just to get something working and wait for the larger sprockets. I will keep the smaller ones, who knows might need them someday.

I didn't realize you wanted to run the encoders at 3.3v because you were powering them from a pin. What is the benefit of that over giving them constant 5v?
    edited 2013-11-26 19:44
    That looks great.

I keep watching for ideas to use on my treaded robot. Thanks for documenting this.
    I didn't realize you wanted to run the encoders at 3.3v because you were powering them from a pin. What is the benefit of that over giving them constant 5v?

I'm not powering the encoders from an I/O pin; I'm just powering the pin with same supply as the Propeller chip. I'm using a Propeller Project board with my robot. The Project Board doesn't have a 5V source on it. By using 3.3V, I don't need to add a 5V regulator. If I use large enough resistors on the encoder output, I could power the encoder with the motor's supply of 12V. Using 3.3V seems like the safer option.

I see you have a rubber band to limit the movement of the wires. I use a couple of pieces of Gorilla tape to hold the wires against the motor so they don't bend where they meet the encoder PCB. I had to solder a broken wire back in place before I learned to limit the movement of the wires.
    edited 2013-11-26 19:54
    This is a lot better. I'm glad I went with the flow.

Check out how smooth these run, even at full speed. There is a little wobble because the motor is clamped in my vice with some rubber.

[video=youtube_share;kGPcF4ZjMnU]

Wow I still have them upside down in the video...