Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax A-7 FPGA Boards - who's interested? — Parallax Forums

Parallax A-7 FPGA Boards - who's interested?

Hey there,

We have 17 of these boards in stock that we could make available for sale. Our cost to build them (simply in Bill of Materials labor and parts) is about $350. Add in the design NRE and each one is probably worth more like $3,000!

Since we've moved on to the A-9 these boards are less desirable, obsolete for the P2 power developers. But they still have a nice loader, can run a Propeller 1 in entirety, and run half of a P2 design at 50 MHz. Specifically, 32 smart pins, 17 times.

Who would want one of these for $200? Support comes from the forums, Chip provides a P2 image, and schematic would be posted here too. Not the usual Parallax level of documentation and support you'd expect from our other products. No returns and all sales are final.

If there are enough people interested we'll make them available, make a P2 imagine, and launch another set of early adopters.

If you are interested, post your reply here stating so. If I see about ten people reply we'll post these for sale.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
Parallax, Inc.

Comments

• TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2016-03-29 05:57
    The nice thing about these, apart from the build quality, is they should hold the full 512kB hub ram like the final silicon.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,917
    I'd be interested in one or two.
  • Wow! $200! It's like a PPDB on steroids!

I can only commit to one, but I'll take one more for Verilog learning and P1V hacking (plus they are just really built nicely)
  • Ken,

Will the PLL resistor fix be installed? I would be interested in one.
  • Ken,
    I will purchase one.

Thanks,
    Tom
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,917
    edited 2016-03-29 15:28
    I forgot about the PLL issue...
    I guess this means the P1V/P2 would only work at 50 MHz then.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-03-29 15:51
    Rayman wrote: »
    I forgot about the PLL issue...
    I guess this means the P1V/P2 would only work at 50 MHz then.

I guess at $200, I will poke a wire to the pin to make it work. :)

It was handled in this thread.

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/162130/pll-s-don-t-work-on-prop-1-2-3-fpga-a7-boards/p1

• I'd take one. I'm not sure if I have time to play with it or not, but the P2 looks like fun. :)
  • I'd be interested in one!

Circumstances won't allow me to buy an FPGA123-A9 for the time being, but I'm already ready for the P2 with my BeMicroCV-A9 I guess. An FPGA123-A7 would help me do some occasional partial P2 testing and would allow me to test the FPGA123 build from my own P1V Github repo.

===Jac
  • Any more buyers interested in this.?
  • I'd be interested, at that price.
  • OK, I'll pop for one. tc
  • I'll go for one as well.
  • I'm very interested in one. Pretty sure I can swing it for that price.
  • That's 10! This deal might sell out.
  • Earth to Ken. :)
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2016-04-05 04:24
    Reporting back to the forums.

I'm leaving Parallax Rocklin at 2 pm on Tuesday and going straight to Chip's house. I will not leave Chip's house until we have tested the seventeen (17) A-7 boards and I have carefully packed them in a tidy box for transport back to Rocklin. Considering he will quickly become tired of my P2 requests (i.e., "just get it done already" and "pull out that USB stuff" etc.) and will do almost anything to make me stop I expect we'll get these boards tested and brought back to the mother ship by Wednesday.

If Wednesday comes and I'm still there I'll start feeding donuts and candy to his kids. This has a special way of changing the environment and atmosphere in the evening.

Ken Gracey
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    If Wednesday comes and I'm still there I'll start feeding donuts and candy to his kids. This has a special way of changing the environment and atmosphere in the evening.

Ken Gracey
    You are so cruel Ken ;)
  • Good news!

Will the testing process include fixing the ball one problem?

Thanks!

P.S. I will raise my payment by $10 to cover a couple big bags of M&M's if that helps!
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Good news!

Thanks!

P.S. I will raise my payment by $10 to cover a couple big bags of M&M's if that helps!

Ken, we should look into making this fix, as it makes the board way more useful. I don't look forward to making special 50MHz-only compiles.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    cgracey wrote: »

Ken, we should look into making this fix, as it makes the board way more useful. I don't look forward to making special 50MHz-only compiles.
    Good point, I wonder if a small dab of conductive ink + inward pressure on soldering would make a good enough contact, or even vaseline + inward pressure on soldering ? (here, the vaseline gives an oxygen barrier)

• TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2016-04-06 01:10
    There's about a 0.5mm gap between the pcb and the underside of the fpga.

Based on a couple of trials I think the pre-tinned-with-solder, heated solid wire pushed in from the corner, has the best chance, and importantly can be pulled out again if it doesn't 'stick' to the joint
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    Another idea:
    Remove the Oscillator, and connect the clock input of the FPGA to a free Prop1 pin. Then the Prop1 can generate a clock frequrncy with a counter PLL.

I don't know if the FPGA clk input is 3.3V compatible, otherwise a capacitive divider may help (or just a series cap).

Andy
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Ariba wrote: »
    Another idea:
    Remove the Oscillator, and connect the clock input of the FPGA to a free Prop1 pin.
    That still requires multiple builds, which is what Chip was trying to avoid ?
    Best do whatever is needed, for least-variation builds.

• I'm at Chip's place we were both surprised when we opened the box and discovered these boards are actually A-9s, brand new off the P&P line. You see, this project has gone on for so long and we have made so many revisions of this board that we lost track.

We're testing them now. You want photos?

Ken Gracey
  • I have similar experiences in my "warehouse" basement when I open up some envelope/box that has been overlooked for a while! Wait until you guys are older, your memory helps in this 'pleasant surprise' process!

It happens in my supply chain too! Sunday, I was talking with my daughter about ordering some multi-meter probes with micro-hooks on the ends.....yesterday, an envelope shows up from China with an assortment of multi-meter probes in it including the micro-hooks!

Being A9 boards, I'm guessing the price might be going up a bit?
  • Sign me up for one!
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,283
    edited 2016-04-06 16:56
    Being A9 boards, I'm guessing the price might be going up a bit?

More than a bit, and more than a byte, I reckon :)
  • My word, how long before we find out if more than a byte costs Ken any nibbles?
  • OK, what happens to the A7's ?