Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TYTEs - more than a word but not as long - agreed? — Parallax Forums

TYTEs - more than a word but not as long - agreed?

Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
edited 2015-10-25 13:14 in Propeller 2
Dear Chip,

I use PNut to construct bytes, words, and longs, but what I would also like is an operator that takes 3 bytes. I'm sure it would be fairly simple to implement and the hardest part is coming up with a suitable name which is why I have suggested tryte for "triple byte". Now that I have done my part then how about it? Huh? :)

BTW, this is all your fault Chip, you made P2 handle unaligned data easily so seeing that I have 16-bit words addressing 64k which I could stretch to 256k I also thought well instead of a wasteful 32-bit address why not just use 24-bit addresses which are fetched with a long as the top 8-bits would be ignored in any memory reference. So if I can I will try trytes.

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    That would be easy to implement in PNut. Remind me if it's not done soon.

I was thinking that with the way the hub FIFO works, it could easily be made to handle any data size from 1 to 32 bits. The RAMs that we are using have bit-level write control, so it could work both ways. It's not practical to implement, at this point, but it could be used for things like 3-bit pixels, etc. I guess all addresses would need another 3 bits to get down from bytes to bits. Spin could be compiled into various bit-length data instead of just bytes. That's how the BASIC Stamp worked; that interpreter often just read one bit.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,209
    Three nibbles makes a tribble? Sorry, it was too easy.
    trybble
  • That's the trouble with trybbles is that they do more than nibble, they end up with a few bytes too many but at least they spot the Klingon agent. But i like the name, trytes or trybbles?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2015-10-24 10:54
    How about dribbles/dreibbles from German drei for 3 :)
  • Before long,
    tribbles will dribble,
    if bit two bytes
    past a nibble.

Word!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    "trytes" is already defined as 6 "trits". A "trit" of course is the equivalent of a bit in ternary logic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_numeral_system

• MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    That's the trouble with trybbles is that they do more than nibble, they end up with a few bytes too many but at least they spot the Klingon agent. But i like the name, trytes or trybbles?

so we are same generation ? ;-)

a while ago there was Star Trek Night here and people selected the Trybbles episode as one to see again. ;-)
    average(WORD + LONG) = WONG

That way, it's still 4 letters, like the others.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-10-24 16:37
    Does that mean two WONGs don't make a WITE?
  • cgracey wrote: »
    average(WORD + LONG) = WONG

That way, it's still 4 letters, like the others.

Hi Chip, I think you're weally wong this time but you may be on to something. How about we shorten tryte to tryt to make it four characters and unique?
    I have amended the title accordingly.

Still clashes with the ternary Trit, albeit in pronunciation only.
  • Troglabyte?
  • I suggest TWIT - Two Words In There, a lovely four letter acronym as well as a helpful mnemonic.
  • TRIN?

• 78rpm wrote: »
    I suggest TWIT - Two Words In There, a lovely four letter acronym as well as a helpful mnemonic.

But WONG!

Aren't two words in there, but since the hub is byte-aligned it does not matter. It's 3 bytes, so a TONG might work.

But I do like the tribble or short TRIP. Yeah. That might work.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2015-10-25 02:25
    TRIO?
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2015-10-25 02:29
    Let's see, we now have alternative suggestions for tryte as:
    • tribble
    • tryblle
    • dribble
    • driebble
    • wong
    • tryt
    • troglabyte
    • twit
    • trin

Anything "ibble" based sounds good but a nibble is 4-bits so it would have to be hexiblle or "sexibble" but I favor a 4 letter version that at least sounds like 3 bytes.
  • msrobots wrote: »

But WONG!

Aren't two words in there, but since the hub is byte-aligned it does not matter. It's 3 bytes, so a TONG might work.

There most certainly are two words in there. This instruction is to take a long, ie 2 words on the Propeller, and place them into some new order of binary management. So with this in mind, I'm standing by TWIT!

• I still think TRIP might be the best version. TWIT has some associations to guys like me and WONG seems to be - hmm - just WONG.

All this dribble stuff, meh, but TRIN sounds good also.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • How about we don't try to name it. Instead, add

RDBYTES D/#, S/#/ptr, #n
    WRBYTES D/#, S/#/ptr, #n

xxBYTE, xxWORD, and xxLONG would just be aliases for N=1, 2, and 4 respectively.
    edited 2015-10-25 02:45
    TYTE = tri-byte
    BYT3 = byte with backwards E
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Seairth wrote: »
    How about we don't try to name it. Instead, add

RDBYTES D/#, S/#/ptr, #n
    WRBYTES D/#, S/#/ptr, #n

xxBYTE, xxWORD, and xxLONG would just be aliases for N=1, 2, and 4 respectively.

I'm not quite following - Chip said this would be a PNUT ASM change, but your example suggests a packed reading of 3 bytes
    ( with presumably a matching Ptr+3 ). That's more than an Assembler change ?

edited 2015-10-25 04:17
    We're only talking about PNUT changes.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    TYTE sounds good :)
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    TYTE sounds good :)

TRIB = TRI-Byte

• AntoineDoinelAntoineDoinel Posts: 312
    edited 2015-10-25 10:27
    WONG is it! People around the great wall will just go crazy about it! :-D

On the other hand the other permutation/contraption of LONG+WORD might even be better: LORD! Everybody knows christians have that sweet spot for trinity and everything-three! :clown:

Would also sound like be me everytime someone suggests to extend the instruction word to some wacky number <> 32! :o
  • I've just amended the tytle :) to gain consensus on this choice.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-10-25 14:23
    Tytes or tights?
    http://www.oddee.com/item_98063.aspx

tri-bytes seems to be a bit of better lexicon. Beware of men in tytes.

Instead of 4 bits equaling a nibble, you could call 4 bits a tutu.
    http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_A1705.html?pid=17993&Shop=Style&SID=759255075