Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Nikos' Fibonacci Spiral Challenge - Page 9 — Parallax Forums

Nikos' Fibonacci Spiral Challenge

Comments

• That looks nice! If you reach your maximum takeoff weight and don't have enough liquid on board you could always use short bursts instead of a continuous stream. Have you taken it outside to see what it looks like?
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    The biggest problem I can see is that it would be hard to tell a real fire from the smoke! ;-)

This is looking good to me!
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2016-05-22 19:39
    xanadu wrote: »
    That looks nice! If you reach your maximum takeoff weight and don't have enough liquid on board you could always use short bursts instead of a continuous stream. Have you taken it outside to see what it looks like?

Short bursts is a very good Idea and for another reason.
    You avoid the overheating without the use of a digital thermometer!
    You can give continuous power to the air pump and short bursts to the juice heater.
    So a double relay is perfect. I used the Dual Relay Board Kit from paralllax but I made damage on it and I destroyed it.
    So I replaced with a cheap dual relay for arduino that I had, and I’m trying to manipulate it with an also cheap arduino nano in order to gain space and weight. But the Arduino nano caught fire and now I’m afraid to use my basic stamp board. Maybe the relay has problem…..

I think the best solution is the Dual Relay Board Kit from paralllax in conjunction with the Propeller mini.

I'm not very good at usings relays....

Any Idea?

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    A copious amount of smoke is in order.

late Middle English: from Old French copieux or Latin copiosus, from copia ‘plenty.’
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2016-05-22 20:36
    There are a lot of options. Some programmable radios can setup a mix with timers to control two channels. On my Taranis and probably other brands it wouldn't be hard to make a switch for power, a delay to prime the pump and then an interval to loop them controlled by a knob for the duration and interval. Then you're left with converting the RC PWM to a trigger voltage.

Could the pump and heater both turn on and off at the same time, or does the heater need some priming?

What were the individual amperages needed for the pump and heater?
    edited 2016-05-22 20:40
    While you're testing your smoke generator, make a quickie vortex cannon in 5 minutes and have fun making smoke rings. Me, I like the fire rings better.

And don't even try:

• xanadu wrote: »
    Could the pump and heater both turn on and off at the same time, or does the heater need some priming?

No. They can both turn on and off at the same time. But as I said before is better to turn on off the heater separately in order to avoid over heating while the pump will be constantly open in order to push out the smoke..
    xanadu wrote: »
    What were the individual amperages needed for the pump and heater?
    I don't know to answer that question and maybe there lies the problem....
  • erco wrote: »
    And don't even try:......

As children, we used to play with steel wool and fire in that way... (without drones) ...
    edited 2016-06-23 17:33
    Almost ready for the final test.....

nikossmokemachine.jpg
    My smoke machine is ready to adapt on Elev8's chasiss
    980 x 735 - 286K
    Wow! Can't wait...
    Good luck! Normally, one tunes for minimum smoke...
  • At the SRS Robomagellan rerun we had on June 19th, this fellow showed up with a street writing robot which uses fuel injectors from a car to make a dot matrix printer for writing with water on sidewalks. His name is Charles Glorioso and he came from San Francisco just to participate in Robomagellan. He also won first place in Robomagellan!
    1024 x 576 - 285K
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-06-30 15:53
    At the SRS Robomagellan rerun we had on June 19th, this fellow showed up with a street writing robot which uses fuel injectors from a car to make a dot matrix printer for writing with water on sidewalks. His name is Charles Glorioso and he came from San Francisco just to participate in Robomagellan. He also won first place in Robomagellan!

That's pretty neat! Was he just using water?

• That's all, just water. the writing does not last very long on a hot day though. he could reprogram quickly to say anything one requested. He says it makes a big hit at street fairs in California.
  • NikosG wrote: »
    Almost ready for the final test.....

nikossmokemachine.jpg
    My smoke machine is ready to adapt on Elev8's chasiss

Are you worried or concerned about the problem with the vape thingies blowing up? It seems like I see reports about it all the time in the news.
    edited 2016-07-02 20:12
    Are you worried or concerned about the problem with the vape thingies blowing up? It seems like I see reports about it all the time in the news.

No.... after a lot of tests I think that I'm ok with the vape MODE.
    The dangerous thing for a potential blowing up is the battery. I changed the circuit and I use separate 7,5V battery for the heater. Now my concern is the chassis and the vibrations. I've just designed a new adapter with vibration isolation for the 2 batteries (ELEV-8 & machine) and for the smoke machine....
    Here it is .......
    V3_smoke_machine%20SK1.jpg
    1210 x 857 - 122K
  • Nikos, looks fantastic! Hope you can get the CG worked out.

edited 2016-07-03 19:44
    Publison wrote: »
    Nikos, looks fantastic! Hope you can get the CG worked out.

Thank you Jim!
    I haven't finished the 3D printing yet.
    Next week I'll put all together and I'll do the first take off with the smoke machine.
    You'll have a detailed tutorial with images and videos!
    Smoke machine's uses with drones are endless..
    I hope everything go well....
    Back to spirals. Cute toy demo, spiral track at 1:50

I glimpsed a few musical Fibonacci spirals in this page on art & music. See figure 15 and knock yourselves out, having your robots play the right musical notes as they are drive the spiral path. Challenge issued, my work here is done!

http://www.brooksdesign-ps.net/Reginald_Brooks/Code/Html/Gomas/gomas09.htm
    @erco - amazing! This looks like a great idea. I don't know if I will be the first (very busy church-wise right now!), but this MUST be done - this would be really fun with BlocklyProp and the new S3 - and a great STEM lesson too!

Thanks, Mr. Roboto!
  • I agree with Whit completely!! Need to think of a good project to showcase it with.
    edited 2017-03-30 19:56
    erco wrote: »
    I glimpsed a few musical Fibonacci spirals in this page on art & music. See figure 15 and knock yourselves out, having your robots play the right musical notes as they are drive the spiral path. Challenge issued, my work here is done!

http://www.brooksdesign-ps.net/Reginald_Brooks/Code/Html/Gomas/gomas09.htm

Erco gave the pass for another cool topic: The transformation of the Fibonacci numbers into sound (via S3 or other hardware) , and the transformation of the Fibonacci numbers into light (via WS2812 LEDs ). Here is a first analysis of that challenge::
    On the one hand we have the Fibonacci numbers 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 ……

And on the other hand we have the sound frequencies. As you can see from the Online Tone Generator we can hear (with pleasure) sounds from a range between 300Hz and 1000 Hz
    So from a first view we must create a formula (function), which be able to accept Fibonacci numbers and must return frequency numbers between 300 ( limit down) and 1000 ( limit up)
    Fibonacci_numbers_to_freq2.jpg

A first approach of that function is to multiply by 2 or divide by 2 the Fibonacci number till the result become a number between 300 ( limit down) and 1000 ( limit up)
    1331 x 1024 - 385K
    edited 2017-03-30 20:45
    Here is the first result....
    https://youtu.be/jyOInCAMQDU
  • Wow Nikos! Your graphic really makes it understandable. You are a great teacher!
    edited 2017-03-30 21:13
    UFO=Unidentified Fibonacci Overtones!

@erco - see http://demo.blockly.parallax.com/blockly/my/projects.jsp#159

Don't know if this still functions...

• Whit wrote: »
    @erco - see http://demo.blockly.parallax.com/blockly/my/projects.jsp#159

Don't know if this still functions...

Something happens and I have no acces to my Blokcly account.
    Server even doesn't recognize my e-mail....
    Uh oh. If Tesla was right, then was Fibonacci wrong? Are 3, 6, and 9 TRULY the keys to the universe? Must we start all over again?

Listen, are we helpless? Are we doomed to do it again and again and again? Have we no choice but to play the Phoenix in an unending sequence of rise and fall? Assyria, Babylon, Egypt, Greece, Carthage, Rome, the Empires of Charlemagne and the Turk: Ground to dust and plowed with salt. Spain, France, Britain, America—burned into the oblivion of the centuries. And again and again and again. Are we doomed to it, Lord, chained to the pendulum of our own mad clockwork, helpless to halt its swing?

Name that reference, and no Googling!

• erco wrote: »

Name that reference, and no Googling!

Beatles..Number 9..Number 9..Number 9