Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Low cost wifi module ESP8266 - Page 11 — Parallax Forums

Low cost wifi module ESP8266

Comments

• NWCCTV wrote: »
    ...Do I place the Cap on power and ground or power and another pin on the ESP 8266?
    Please don't follow my suggestion! If the ESP8266 needs firmware then filtering the power supply won't help. The nRF24L01 is sensitive to electrical noise caused by motors and it will reset when power drops below 3.3V.
    I'll be watching this thread because now I'm interested in what the ESP8266 can do.
  • I'm getting further along as I play around with this device. Quite a nifty little unit!! I am using LUA and I am wondering how I make init.lua that I have created start up whenever the Wi-Fi device starts. I think it has to do with placing dofile within the code but I am not sure where to place that nor how to set it so I get the same IP each time. I have a ton of different projects that I can use these devices for once I have that part figured out.
  • Andy,
    Been watching this thread for awhile. Was hesitant about posting a comment because this is under the "propeller 1" category and am NOT using a propeller. I purchased 2 dev boards and an esp-8266-01 from sparkfun. I flashed all 3 with the latest .bin files (and previous version). Yes, I grounded DIO0 during flashing. The flashing works just fine, but as soon as I uploaded the init.lua file, it does not work as advertised. The lua file is a program that should allow me to turn on/off two leds with my cell phone (by entering the ip address in the url line) using DIO0 and DIO2. Seems the module does not save the file in flash... I checked DHCP (on my router) and it did not give my module an ip??? Seems the lua file does not save or gets hung up. Not sure (bad flash???). I ordered a few 8266-12 modules (EBAY). When they arrive, I will NOT flash them and just upload the lua file and try again. I see all the success that many people have with these modules and yet I can't get them to work. Very frustrating. I wish you well.
    Bob
  • NAVFAC10 wrote: »
    ...I see all the success that many people have with these modules and yet I can't get them to work. Very frustrating. I wish you well.
    Bob
    Arduino users have had success. I had that same frustration when I first tried the nRF24L01. Fortunately Duane Degn shared his work.
    I eventually built a wireless bot with differential steering, pan/tilt and a four-servo arm. I'll share what I've learned when I sense any interest but I think Propeller users will have to learn from each other.
  • NAVFAC10 wrote: »
    I see all the success that many people have with these modules and yet I can't get them to work. Very frustrating.
    With more details someone might be able to help...
  • I am able to upload the init.lua file on both the -01 and -12 versions and they remain in flash but does not run when restarted. I believe I need to place dofile("init.lua") within the program itself. I am just back from a week in the hospital so I will play with this more when I recover a bit.
  • NWCCTV wrote: »
    I am able to upload the init.lua file on both the -01 and -12 versions and they remain in flash but does not run when restarted. I believe I need to place dofile("init.lua") within the program itself. I am just back from a week in the hospital so I will play with this more when I recover a bit.

Welcome back Andy! Hope all is well.

• Andy,
    I'm having the exact same problem (will not run when restarted). As mentioned above, I started out with a -1 and a DEV board from sparkfun. I received my -12 modules a few days ago, and getting the same problem. I sent tech support an e-mail (to sparkfun), detailing the problem, but they said they don't provide support for lua IDE's (only Arduino issues). Tried several flash versions (for firmware) and 2 lua IDE's (LUALOADER and ESPLORER). My computer has WIN10 installed. Not sure if that's the problem. I'm going to try another computer in a few days. I will try the "dofile" thing as well. Very busy at work, and this takes a back seat (unfortunately). Will let you know if any of these attempted solutions prove to be fruitful. Good luck.
    Bob
  • @Navfac10, Have you tried ESPEasy? http://www.esp8266.nu/index.php/ESPEasy
    I tried it and it came up as a wireless network but I was unable to connect to the Wireless Name. I am also running windows 10. I do not believe that is the issue as I connected the device to my Netbook Windows 7 and had the same issue. However, I did not do much investigating on that, just checked if it worked and connected.
  • Andy,
    Had some success today. Not sure what did the trick, but I updated the firmware in my Belkin router. I also went to this website http://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp8266-web-server/ and downloaded the "WIN64 WINDOWS FLASHER". Flashed with this flasher, then used ESPLORER to upload the init.lua file from the same website. The program is just a simple webserver and allows you to control two GPIO's. Noticed something different this time... after the upload of the lua file, I got IP, subnet mask, and default gateway displayed on the right window of ESPLORER. I used to get "nil" after the upload. I just tried it with my -12 modules. Working on a transistor ckt to control a relay now. Did not get to try ESPEasy. Just working on lua files now. Good luck.
    Bob
  • Left the house tonight... as expected... could not contact my router and esp8266. Do I need to set up the lua file for AP? Thanks. Have a good one. Bob
  • yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2016-06-29 10:43
    http://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp8266-web-server/ looks like being from february 2015.
    There were some changes in the socket code... newer Lua code waits for stuff having been sent before closing the socket ( conn:on("sent",callback) ).
    Have a look at https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware/blob/master/lua_examples/webap_toggle_pin.lua.

Maybe that's not the problem, but if so, we have excluded one candidate...

Btw... which version of nodemcu are you using?
  • Yeti,
    NodeMCU 0.9.5 / 20150318. I know there are more current versions, but I am going to stick with what is working. Looked at the script from https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware/blob/master/lua_examples/webap_toggle_pin.lua I think it's missing a line. Will verify when I get the chance. Have a good one.
    Bob
  • Has anyone tried programming the ESP8266 directly instead of using NodeMCU?
    edited 2016-07-01 11:12
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    I have a couple of wemos and I tested them using the arduino ide (never used before).on the wemos website there is a getting started tutorial.
    They work fine.
    Massimo
  • max72 wrote: »
    I have a couple of wemos and I tested them using the arduino ide (never used before).on the wemos website there is a getting started tutorial.
    They work fine.
    Massimo
    I had never heard of the Wemos. It's amazing how cheap these ESP modules are!

Sure...
    They have USB to serial, voltage regulator, a voltage divider for the analog pin and of course the esp module..
    You can download the relevant stuff (including sample code) to get started.
    I have a couple of dht modules sending data to thingspeak at an incredibly low cost. And they work.. :-)
    Massimo
    Sure...
    They have USB to serial, voltage regulator, a voltage divider for the analog pin and of course the esp module..
    You can download the relevant stuff (including sample code) to get started.
    I have a couple of dht modules sending data to thingspeak at an incredibly low cost. And they work.. :-)
    Massimo
    One problem I had with the Sparkfun ESP DEV board is that the USB2serial circuit occupied the UART pins making it difficult to use them to talk to another MCU. Is that true of this module as well? Can I, for example, connect the UART RX/TX pins to a Propeller and communicate with it from the Wemos?

I'm not sure..
    besides the usb2serial module, the RX and tx pins are exposed.
    Probably a test is in order.. At the moment I'm playing with it as a standalone module.
    As an alternative there is i2c
    Massimo
    I'm not sure..
    besides the usb2serial module, the RX and tx pins are exposed.
    Probably a test is in order.. At the moment I'm playing with it as a standalone module.
    As an alternative there is i2c
    Massimo
    Yes but you can't program the Propeller over the I2C interface. However, I wonder if it would be possible to boot the Propeller by having the ESP emulate an I2C EEPROM?

• Getting back on the forum again. Surgery went well. 6 days in hospital and then home to recoup for several weeks.

Anyhow, Bob, If the ESP is acting as a web server I would assume it is running on Port 80. So, in order to get to it from outside just forward port 80 on your router to the ESP internal IP. Then you should be able to get to it from outside. Still playing around and trying to figure out how to get the ESP to work when reset.
    edited 2016-07-02 07:29
    David Betz wrote: »
    However, I wonder if it would be possible to boot the Propeller by having the ESP emulate an I2C EEPROM?
    Bitbanged I2C Slave Mode...

Probably holding the Propeller resetted by an ESP8266 GPIO pin and filling the EEPROM using the ESP8266 as i2c master is far easier... this is waiting on my to do list...
  • Andy,
    Thanks!!!! I will try to "port forward" the ip in my ESP (in my router). Will be a few days... work, work, work. Will post the results. My relay ckt is working fine. Glad to here your surgery went well. Have a good and safe 4th.
    Bob
  • So I have found that straight out of the wrapper I am able to connect to the ESP8266 WiFi Network using my Android phone but my Windows 10 system will not connect to it at all. Going to try Windows 7 later to see if it will connect.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Does your Win 10 actually the ESP8266 ?

What I have found after travelling around with my Surface Pro is that it refuses to connect to some access points straight off the bat. Sometimes turning off WIFI and turning it on again gets it working. Sometimes restarting the machine gets it working. I don't think I have found an AP it refused to connect to after that rigmarole.

• I have tried numerous ways and it just will not connect. Windows 10 sees the ESP8266 as AI-Thinker_1AD7Cit O Network. Android connects with no issues. I need to dig out my Netbook with Windows 7 to see what happens. I am thinking it might be a channel issue.

On another note, I bought one of these USB programmer devices and it works pretty well. The only issue is that I cannot short GPIO0 to Ground so I am going to solder a male/female wire end on each connection so I can connect as needed. Not bad for under two bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201588307377?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    NWCCTV,

What actually am I looking at there?

Sounds like straight through serial to WIFI (Yellow header) . Or is that USB/serial to WIFI. Or both, or what?

Presumably it is reprogrammable over the USB and or serial?

I have to catch up with this ESP8266 world. I should order a couple of those.

• Heater. wrote: »
    NWCCTV,

What actually am I looking at there?

Sounds like straight through serial to WIFI (Yellow header) . Or is that USB/serial to WIFI. Or both, or what?

Presumably it is reprogrammable over the USB and or serial?

I have to catch up with this ESP8266 world. I should order a couple of those.
    It looks like that is just a USB2serial adapter designed to be plugged into one of the ESP8266-01 modules like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-ESP8266-Esp-01-Remote-Serial-Port-WIFI-Transceiver-Wireless-Module-AP-STA-/221909856153?hash=item33aadbaf99:g:lTQAAOSwYHxWGRWA
    Gotcha.