Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Low cost wifi module ESP8266 - Page 10 — Parallax Forums

Low cost wifi module ESP8266

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Depends whether you need WIFI or just some wireless link. nrf24l01 and nrf2401a are not WIFI.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    David Betz,
    I was looking for an example of code acting as a bridge between a Propeller and the network. I'm just wondering how people use the ESP with Lua (NodeMCU) with the Propeller.
    http://www.roboremo.com/esp8266-tcp-to-serial.html
  • Heater. wrote: »
    David Betz,
    I was looking for an example of code acting as a bridge between a Propeller and the network. I'm just wondering how people use the ESP with Lua (NodeMCU) with the Propeller.
    Thanks. I guess I assumed that Lua would be used for something beyond just using the ESP as a transparent bridge.

• I did a quick ESP8622 and DHT22 temp sensor for some garden testing. It sent data up to one of the online data dumps...it was easy and worked great. It didn't use a Parallax product for anything, so I didn't want to mention it.
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    David Betz wrote: »
    Heater. wrote: »
    David Betz,
    Thanks. I guess I assumed that Lua would be used for something beyond just using the ESP as a transparent bridge.
    sure - this is just a simple example of what you can do.

since you have the interactive REPL of LUA you can set up some support functions on the ESP and then just send the text commands to the ESP.

I used this to send some PING - water level measurements up to thingspeak.com so I could monitor the cisterna level from remote.
    Of course this could have done with a ESP alone as well.

I just found the link to the code I posted a while ago.
    forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1339689/#Comment_1339689

• Thanks for the pointer to the NodeMCU Lua code! Has anyone here tried to add C extensions to the NodeMCU Lua interpreter?
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Thanks for the pointer to the NodeMCU Lua code! Has anyone here tried to add C extensions to the NodeMCU Lua interpreter?

why would you like to do that. I'm not a Lua-Expert but Lua is very powerful.
    It has a basic set of commands that you can extend in almost any direction you like.

I don't know much about C or any of its dialects. If you 'd like to do real crazy things like call-back-functions with variant conditional arrays of variant conditianal records or whatever complex constructions are possible with C. I suggest using a Rasperry-Pi 3 or a Banana-Pi.
    The ESP8266-moduls with NodeMCU are still small microcontrollers to make your washingmachine connected to the internet. ioT (Internet of THINGS)

best regards

Stefan

• StefanL38 wrote: »
    Thanks for the pointer to the NodeMCU Lua code! Has anyone here tried to add C extensions to the NodeMCU Lua interpreter?

why would you like to do that. I'm not a Lua-Expert but Lua is very powerful.
    It has a basic set of commands that you can extend in almost any direction you like.
    Mainly, I'd want to add a Propeller loader. I guess I could try writing that in Lua but I'm not sure the performance will be good enough.

• David Betz wrote: »

I only toyed with Lua but the creator's book suggests that what you want is in bounds: code time-critical processes in C that can be compiled to machine code. Isn't there a development kit for native ESP8266 coding? There must be, right? Otherwise, how were the Lua and microPython interpreters developed for the ESP8266?
  • JonnyMac wrote: »

I only toyed with Lua but the creator's book suggests that what you want is in bounds: code time-critical processes in C that can be compiled to machine code. Isn't there a development kit for native ESP8266 coding? There must be, right? Otherwise, how were the Lua and microPython interpreters developed for the ESP8266?
    'Yes, there is a dev kit for the ESP8266. I've been writing native C code for a while but I haven't see any information about how to extend NodeMCU/Lua with native C functions.

'Yes, there is a dev kit for the ESP8266. I've been writing native C code for a while but I haven't see any information about how to extend NodeMCU/Lua with native C functions.
    check the NODEMCU forums and their GIT,
    there are the native C modules, that make the NODEMCU LUA interface.

• Not sure if anyone knows of this but Hackaday has an easy to use Terminal program for the ESP8266 to download. https://hackaday.io/project/3568-esp8266-test-program
  • NWCCTV wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone knows of this but Hackaday has an easy to use Terminal program for the ESP8266 to download. https://hackaday.io/project/3568-esp8266-test-program
    http://esp8266.ru/esplorer/ is worth a try for Lua. MicroPython support is WIP.
  • This old thread needs reviving!!!! Is there anyone other than myself still using these or has something better been discovered? I have a bit of an issue with one that I bought from a US seller in that it seems to be very sporadic. After a power cycle or reset it seems to just not work anymore. after a disconnecting and reconnecting a few f the wires it suddenly starts working again. Very intermittent. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I am using a 9V 350mA wall wart and a USB Power Supply with a 3.3V regulator for power.
  • Hi Andy,

somewhere I read that the current of ESP8266-modules goes above 300mA . So first thing I would do is using a power-supply that can deliver 500mA minimum. Better 1A.

best regards

Stefan
    This old thread needs reviving!!!! Is there anyone other than myself still using these or has something better been discovered?
    I've been writing some software for the ESP8266 recently. I've been using the SDK as well as the ESP-HTTPD and ESP-LINK libraries.

edited 2016-06-14 11:50
    here some official numbers
    AND I also think I remember some discussion - somewhere - of it draing more and going instable.
    bbs.espressif.com/viewtopic.php?t=133
  • Thanks for the tips. What I found that was really odd was the first time I got it going I was using USB Power from my laptop!!!!!
  • I changed power supplies to a 12V 1 Amp connected to a breadboard power supply and verified 3.5 V. Now I am able to Flash the device but after that I am unable to connect after disconnecting the GPIO0 connection. This has me a bit confused now. I have tried flashing with a couple different firmware's with the same results. I need to find the original and go back to that since it seemed to work.
    ...Is there anyone other than myself still using these or has something better been discovered? I have a bit of an issue with one that I bought from a US seller in that it seems to be very sporadic. After a power cycle or reset it seems to just not work anymore. after a disconnecting and reconnecting a few f the wires it suddenly starts working again. Very intermittent. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I am using a 9V 350mA wall wart and a USB Power Supply with a 3.3V regulator for power.
    I had intermittent problems with the nRF24L01 so it may not apply to the ESP8266 but I'll offer it anyway. I got erratic behavior until I put a 2.2mf electrolytic in the power supply.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    2.2millifarads (2200uF)?
  • Tor wrote: »
    2.2millifarads (2200uF)?

2.2 microfarads. The data was reliable until I connected the motors. There were four voltages sharing ground but it works fine now. The nRF24L01 is a great module. I think wifi is a bigger challenge. I want to give the ESP8266 a try
    After a power cycle or reset it seems to just not work anymore. after a disconnecting and reconnecting a few f the wires it suddenly starts working again. Very intermittent. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I have 2 of the -201 variants, one used as a standalone (battery powered) and one connected to a propeller (1A wall wart). I've found that I needed to have the propeller reset its ESP8266 after each session. Otherwise it wouldn't accept any new connections. The battery-powered unit has its power cycled for each connection and hasn't had any issues*.

*Time will tell how well it holds up under temperature extremes in Oklahoma. It's mounted in my mailbox. Yep, I have a WiFi connected mailbox to tell me when the mail has arrived. I never said my projects were practical. :)

Walter

• I will try the cap idea when I return today. I just find it odd that the 3 I have did not do this until after flashing the Firmware to LUA NodeMCU. Does anyone know where to get the original Firmware? I'd like to put it back on at least one so I can keep my sanity in check!!!
    I will try the cap idea when I return today. I just find it odd that the 3 I have did not do this until after flashing the Firmware to LUA NodeMCU. Does anyone know where to get the original Firmware? I'd like to put it back on at least one so I can keep my sanity in check!!!

Does the Lua firmware allow the normal AT commands, or are your required to code it to do everything ?
    I will try the cap idea when I return today. I just find it odd that the 3 I have did not do this until after flashing the Firmware to LUA NodeMCU. Does anyone know where to get the original Firmware? I'd like to put it back on at least one so I can keep my sanity in check!!!

Does the Lua firmware allow the normal AT commands, or are your required to code it to do everything ?

It needs to be programmed, Lua and microPython replace the standard "AT" firmware.

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2016-06-16 01:14
    After I installed LUA is when they quit working altogether. I would like to try and bring one back to life with the original Firmware but I am unable to locate it.

Do I place the Cap on power and ground or power and another pin on the ESP 8266?
  • Why is clock loops comment always at the bottom?
  • I'm getting further along but I am still having some issues. I am able to bring up and connect to the AP that the device broadcasts and it assigns my system an IP address but I am unable to bring up a web page on the Gateway address. I believe it is a channel conflict. Does anyone know the AT command to change the channel on these devices?
    I'm getting further along but I am still having some issues. I am able to bring up and connect to the AP that the device broadcasts and it assigns my system an IP address but I am unable to bring up a web page on the Gateway address. I believe it is a channel conflict. Does anyone know the AT command to change the channel on these devices?

https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/learn_tutorials/4/0/3/4A-ESP8266__AT_Instruction_Set__EN_v0.30.pdf