Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Are The Propeller Proto Boards Being Discontinued? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Are The Propeller Proto Boards Being Discontinued?

Comments

• idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2014-09-17 02:46
    Jim
    Bruce, why don't you start another thread with a poll for the Proto Board to continue?

I do not believe that will be necessary. The Proto Board is already designed and it sells. As it has been mentioned, keep them both, because they each have their functions, pluses, and minuses. Neither the Project Board or the Proto Board is perfect for all uses and neither one will ever be perfect for all uses.

Keep both of them and eliminate some other design. :)
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2014-09-17 06:25
    I see the logic in reducing the number of boards to stock. Proto board USB no longer makes sense. The plain proto board that uses prop key is a nice bargain item.
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2014-09-17 08:12
    I see the logic in reducing the number of boards to stock. Proto board USB no longer makes sense. The plain proto board that uses prop key is a nice bargain item.

+1

@ Mag748... LOL @ 'coasterization' & 'robustified'
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-09-17 09:51
    A dongle is a small piece of hardware that attaches to computer, TV, or other electronic device, and that, when attached, enables additional functions such as copy protection, audio, video, games, data, or other services. These services are available only when the dongle is attached.
    I hate dongle's, nothing worse than losing your dongle.
    I bought a Prop Plug, and five of the Proto boards without USB.. Can I trade them all in for Three USB Proto boards?
    The Prop Plug is a misery to me. It is never there when I need it, I still flip and flop the thing around hoping I plugged it in correctly.

I understand Parallax would like to sell Prop Plugs by the millions, and don't blame them for that. It's a classic bit for to make money, That's a good thing.
    But, if I have a choice, I will never buy anything with a dongle again. It's just one more thing to keep track of.

Anyway, I think the USB Proto Board makes alot of sense to keep around, And hope it stays around for a long time to come.

-Tommy
  • HarpritHarprit Posts: 539
    edited 2014-09-18 07:23
    The USB connection is an absolute must on all boards.
    H
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2014-09-18 07:34
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    I will never buy anything with a dongle again. It's just one more thing to keep track of.

-Tommy

I agree. I'll only make this board if it has built-in USB.

Ken Gracey
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-09-18 07:42
    I hate dongle's, nothing worse than losing your dongle.
    I bought a Prop Plug, and five of the Proto boards without USB.. Can I trade them all in for Three USB Proto boards?
    The Prop Plug is a misery to me. It is never there when I need it, I still flip and flop the thing around hoping I plugged it in correctly.

I understand Parallax would like to sell Prop Plugs by the millions, and don't blame them for that. It's a classic bit for to make money, That's a good thing.
    But, if I have a choice, I will never buy anything with a dongle again. It's just one more thing to keep track of.

Anyway, I think the USB Proto Board makes alot of sense to keep around, And hope it stays around for a long time to come.

-Tommy

Tommy,

I guess the Propeller Mini is off you list? :)
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2014-09-18 08:57
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    I agree. I'll only make this board if it has built-in USB.

Ken Gracey

BOOO!!! :-)

I have to admit I have more then one prop plug and like using it on boards that I make. My eyes aren't nearly good enough to work with SMD which means that working with the FTDI chips isn't an option. I hope that Parallax plans to at least make the prop plug for the foreseeable future and lets me know before they stop making it so I can stock up on a lifetime supply!
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-09-18 09:18
    The Propeller Mini is awesome! 7/8" X 1.5" With Voltage Regulators! Hard to find a smaller form factor than that.
    It is so small in fact, that it is missing 9 I/O pins, Hats off to the Layout guy, I would not have the self discipline to leave those off the board,
    And I would be driven insane trying to route them... It kinda makes me crazy thinking about it now, Come on Tommy, just nine more holes to go.. I can do this..:zombie:

I have been against Dongles ever since I misplaced the first one, 20 minutes and still couldn't find it anywhere on my desk,
    Until I looked up at the end of a USB cable, hanging high on the desk lamp...So I wouldn't lose it...(Sigh..)

-Tommy
    edited 2014-09-18 09:30
    And I would like to see all the hardware needed to make a USB connection to all the boards that I design available on a small DIP board so that I can incorporate the USB connection on my boards.
    It seems outlandish that this is not already the case.
    H
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-09-18 09:40
    Harprit,

That is such a common requirement that there are many such boards in existence. For example :
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/718
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4368532

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4368532

And so on and so on.

if you are asking if Parallax should make such a thing, well I guess they would have a hard time making any money out of it.

Perhaps a better idea is just to add that hardware to the boards you design. That would be far cheaper.
    edited 2014-09-18 09:56
    Heater:

Actually this board almost, already exists.
    It is the Prop plug. So profits should not be a problem.

Its a "convenience for the designer" of new boards issue.

All they have to do is take off the 4 pin socket and provide four holes on the board itself 0.1 inches on center and it would do it.
    Two more pins to stabilize the mounting on my board would be nice

The components are too small for placement manually.

H
    edited 2014-09-18 10:05
    That is true. Not a cheap solution but true.

But now, if I have a bunch of Propeller boards, as many people do, what is more convenient and cheap? A single Prop Plug with it's 4 pin header connection that I can move from board to board, or a PropPlug module welded to every board?
    edited 2014-09-18 10:10
    I have been against Dongles ever since I misplaced the first one, 20 minutes and still couldn't find it anywhere on my desk,
    Until I looked up at the end of a USB cable, hanging high on the desk lamp...So I wouldn't lose it...(Sigh..

-Tommy

ROFL!! That's why you need 4-5 of them!! :)
    edited 2014-09-18 10:15
    Heater:

When I design a board for a customer, I want to be able to send him a file
    to update the software if and when necessary.
    I don't want to have to send him a PPlug also.
    Besides, its one more thing to lose as mentioned by others.
    Adding $15 to the cost of a project is trivial. The convenience is priceless.

H
    edited 2014-09-18 10:20
    Heater. wrote: »
    That is true. Not a cheap solution but true.

But now, if I have a bunch of Propeller boards, as many people do, what is more convenient and cheap? A single Prop Plug with it's 4 pin header connection that I can move from board to board, or a PropPlug module welded to every board?

I put the header on the board and plug in the prop plug as needed.

While it's never happened to me I remember in the past reading that people at times have had issues with prop programs that output debug data to the serial port when not plugged into a computer. Not sure it's that's the case anymore but something I'm not interested in having to deal with it.
    edited 2014-09-18 10:21
    Harprit,

So why not design the required USB/serial hardware onto the board itself rather than add an expensive and clumsy piggy back module? The convenience of that is better at both ends of the deal.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-09-18 10:22
    4x5n wrote: »
    ROFL!! That's why you need 4-5 of them!! :)

Agreed.

And if you're really cheap frugal you can "harvest" Prop Plugs from USB Proto Boards.

attachment.php?attachmentid=93047&d=1338251356

and use then with your non-USB boards.

attachment.php?attachmentid=93046&d=1338251356

At any given time I've usually misplaced 3 or so of my Prop Plugs but I usually have a couple others I can easily find.

Of course now you can find FTDI devices on ebay for just a few dollars.

I wonder how hard it would be to cut the Project board's USB circuit out to use as a DIY Prop Plug?
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2014-09-18 10:52
    Harprit wrote: »
    And I would like to see all the hardware needed to make a USB connection to all the boards that I design available on a small DIP board so that I can incorporate the USB connection on my boards.
    It seems outlandish that this is not already the case.
    H

There are quite a few FTDI Breakout boards available from Sparkfun, Gravitech, Linksprite, Adafruit, etc. Most use the FT232R in the SSOP package and run anywhere from $12 to $15. If you do a Google image search for "FT232R Breakout" you will see a variety of options.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-09-18 10:57
    There are quite a few FTDI Breakout boards available from Sparkfun, Gravitech, Linksprite, Adafruit, etc. Most use the FT232R in the SSOP package and run anywhere from $12 to $15. If you do a Google image search for "FT232R Breakout" you will see a variety of options.

You should be able to get them for a lot less than $12.

(I"m pretty sure the cheap boards will work with the Prop but I'm not positive. I can test one of mine if anyone is interested.)
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-09-18 11:05
    I generally have 4-5 dongles in play at any one time. Generally 2-3 are in the "Universe of Lost Socks" and the other two can be found within a few minutes. (2-3 dongles seem to work for the USB/Serial connector you need for the S2)

The biggest benefit I find with USB boards versus PropPlug boards is the USB provides POWER! The PropPlug still requires you to provide power and adds an extra cable or battery box to the workspace. It's very handy to be able to grap a Propeller board and plug it into your PC and play without hunting for a power supply.

I've been using the USB/TTL dongles on other boards and they are nice since they do have power available.

I've never used either of these boards in a project (but I won both) - my first impression is I like the larger, open, more contiguous prototyping space. I apparently need to build more hardware prototypes.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-09-18 11:52
    Generally, they will work if they have an RTS (or DTR) output, and a driver. I've used a lot of FTDI based "breakouts" to program props.

Note the real cheap ones with an "RST" pin will NOT work - that pin is for resetting the USB chip (what a waste). I found this out after importing over 100 of them, fortunately they are still useful for other applications.
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    You should be able to get them for a lot less than $12.

(I"m pretty sure the cheap boards will work with the Prop but I'm not positive. I can test one of mine if anyone is interested.)
    edited 2014-09-18 14:12
    Heater:

See #43, the SMT components are way too small to be placed manually.

The solutions illustrated above work but are not clean enough for a customer.
    OK for experimenters though. A clean piggy back instalation would be acceptable.

H
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2014-09-18 21:09
    Harprit wrote: »
    Adding $15 to the cost of a project is trivial.

A one-off project for one's own use, sure.
    $15 profit lost on every sale, not trivial at all.
    Of course, adding USB to a Chinese Arduino (using the CH340G) only adds about $1 to the cost of the board.
    If that's all USB contributed to the purchase price of a Propeller board, it wouldn't be so much of an issue.
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2014-09-19 13:15
    With a SD card you can update the firmware using the SD card and nothing else.
    Possibly cheaper and for sure way easier..
    Massimo
  • richaj45richaj45 Posts: 179
    edited 2014-09-22 23:00
    So has Parallax said what dev board they are going to make?

A one point i thought if Parallax came out with a product, like the USB Proto board, they would keep it forever. I guess i just thought customer would not have to face end of life so soon with Parallax. It was one of he endearing qualities of the company. Look at long the Basic Stamp has been around.

Does this mean the Prop 1 chip will be stopped after Prop 2 comes out?

cheers,
    rich
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,287
    edited 2014-09-22 23:39
    Hey Rich !

That is not really fair to compare the microprocessor chips and the accessory boards like that!!

The way I see it, Parallax has always been very clear about it's commitment to supplying the core chips. Essentially the Prop1 "forever", regardless of any future version. If you need some evidence of how seriously Parallax takes the longevity of supply, consider the Basic Stamp that you mentioned, and also the SX. Both are very old microprocessors, and both are still stocked by Parallax for its customers.

As for accessory boards, such as the “USB proto board” et-al; of course these will go through re-designs from time to time. And even new products will become available, such as the “project board” and “BOE”.

Surely this thread serves testament to how seriously Parallax considers customer opinion; even the company president has indicated that comments here very much help Parallax determine the customer needs.

Parallax continues to be open, to consider opinion, and to make the best business choices based on need and usefulness, not fear. With this, Parallax and the Propeller will always be.

Clearly as much as I do, I really hope you can “feel the trust” that Parallax shares with the community!

Prop-1 is here to stay!

ps. As you asked, and as I recall, an earlier post mentioned the meeting about board choices was scheduled for Wednesday (tomorrow). Hope that helps.
  • richaj45richaj45 Posts: 179
    edited 2014-09-23 09:37
    Ok
    I will be more fair.

Thanks for shaking me.
    rich
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2014-09-23 12:43
    All I can say about the current selection of available Propeller boards is that I am not interested in purchasing any of those products.
  • danielstrittdanielstritt Posts: 43
    edited 2014-09-23 12:55
    I noticed the number has shrunk as well, used to be protoboard, demoboard, backpack, and maybe a few others