Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
WALL-E EVE Challenge — Parallax Forums

WALL-E EVE Challenge

jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
edited 2015-06-07 19:15 in Robotics
Everyone loves WALL-E.

Now it's time to make an EVE bot.

EVE Requirements:
  1. She should not fly or be dangerous (not true to character, but that's OK).
  2. She must use at least one Parallax microcontroller (this is a Parallax forum).
  3. She must have only one point of contact with the ground and balance while moving.
  4. She must be true to general EVE shape (garbage can with salad bowl on top OK).
  5. She can be as tall or short as practical (some misproportions OK).
  6. She must have one or more LCDs or other LED arrangement for emoting.
  7. She can have a wireless communications port.
  8. She must have a storage door and storage compartment.
  9. She must be able to detect some target object.
  10. She must have arms that move.
  11. She can have openings for object detection sensors.
  12. Her exterior must be wireless except for attaching body parts.
  13. She must use batteries and can be rechargable.
  14. She can be programmed in any lanugage.
  15. She can be made of any material.
  16. She should be able to move her head in some way.
Prizes and challenge deadline to be determined.

The word *must* means there is no choice.
The words *can* and *should* mean there is choice.

Anyone up for a challenge like this?

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2014-08-29 19:16
    Quite a challenge jazzed.

"She must be able to detect some target object." Perhaps something green?

For reference...
    3625885-4897998087-Wall-.jpg

And http://www.instructables.com/id/11-Scale-EVE-from-the-film-Wall-e/

A very nice toy model reviewed here - and apparently gotten for a bargain price at a yard sale!

[video=youtube_share;F3mKZl7Kwqs]

I'd be amazed if someone here could pull off a base like this...
    467 x 502 - 81K
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2014-08-30 06:29
    Too many rules for this cowboy. It's hard enough getting people to enter the figure 8 contest, which has no rules!
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-08-30 08:43
    Great videos Whit! Inspirational.
    Whit wrote: »
    Quite a challenge jazzed.

The hills we climb lift us up.

One person may have a hard time, but a team could meet the challenge.

The "target object" can be anything. I was thinking some ferrous metal would be easy to detect.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-08-30 20:29
    Those Videos are awesome!, The Robot balancing on the ball follows Rule #3 to the Letter.
    I would like to try a Challenge like this, But, explaining to my wife that I am building a Girl Robot will be awkward at best...:innocent:

-Tommy
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,649
    edited 2014-08-31 10:51
    No, no, no! The head and arms, and the whole thing for that matter, have to levitate using diamagnetic superconductors!

Like this:
    https://www.ted.com/talks/boaz_almog_levitates_a_superconductor

It's not technically flying because it's only a few inches off of the ground, so it doesn't break rule #1. If the superconducting magnets are strong enough, maybe a few hundred teslas or so (a trivial matter), it won't even need a metal surface to levitate on! The fact that this would wipe everyone's hard drives within a large radius is a small matter. Does this break rule #3 for not having exactly one point of contact with the ground?

What do you mean "not be dangerous"? That takes all of the fun out of it!

I'm going to have to make my own robot that balances on a ball after seeing that video. What if it was strong enough for a person to ride around on it?
    edited 2014-08-31 12:32
    I'm going to have to make my own robot that balances on a ball after seeing that video. What if it was strong enough for a person to ride around on it?

Indeed.

Those look like stepper motors. I just happen to have 3 :)
  • GrandeNurseGrandeNurse Posts: 110
    edited 2014-08-31 14:59
    It does not have a SEX unless it takes another of the opposite gender to reproduce. Calling this a GIRL or BOY maybe but I think UNI would be ok. Most of the microbe world is UNI, just like all of the robotics I have at home. Even the ERECTOR set stuff. I think the challenge is good.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,649
    edited 2014-08-31 18:28
    It does not have a SEX unless it takes another of the opposite gender to reproduce. Calling this a GIRL or BOY maybe but I think UNI would be ok.
    Tell that to Hollywood. I've never heard of a robot in a movie that didn't have a gender. I don't watch much TV, so it's possible I've missed some though, but the vast majority of robots in movies have genders.

Either way, EVE was obviously female in the movie.
    edited 2014-09-01 08:57
    Interesting discussion on "sex of" robots.

In the WALL-E movie. WALL-E seemed to portray a male character (rough and tumble), and EVE a female character (round and graceful).

My requirements used the female pronoun mainly because I thought "it" was too impersonal and I didn't want to keep repeating EVE (which I spelled EVA at first ... as pronounced in the movie).

BTW, ships (and many vehicles) have traditionally been mentioned in terms of female pronouns. That is, "She's a good ship."

And, "Robot Girl" or any implications of that was never the intent of this challenge.
    edited 2014-09-04 17:43
    I came across a TRI-BOT WOW-WEE three wheel robot at a Goodwill store. It either had a bad drop off a table or some kid took a bat to it's head. Anyways the lower motor and wheel base was in tact which looks like a good base for the single BALL pivot. The batteries are also stored in the base, and a motor control board (MCB). The MCB looks to have a local processors, sensors circuits ad three H-bridge circuits.

Well without a head and most of its body, it is absolutely a UNI.
    edited 2014-09-04 18:06
    @GrandeNurse - What a great idea! Please share your progress...
    edited 2014-09-05 20:14
    ================SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT=================
    reorder requirements, changing SHE with IT
    1.IT MUST BE SAFE should not fly or be dangerous (not true to character, but that's OK).
    2.IT must use at least one Parallax microcontroller (this is a Parallax forum).
    3.IT must have only one point of contact with the ground and balance while moving.
    4.IT must be true to general EVE shape (garbage can with salad bowl on top OK)...... CLOTH OR MESH COVER OK?
    6.IT must have one or more LCDs or other LED arrangement for emoting.
    8.IT must have a storage door and storage compartment.
    9.IT must be able to detect some target object.
    10.IT must have arms that move...................................................... CAN THIS BE REPLACED WITH "IT MUST HAVE THE ABILITY TO load and unload the storage compartment by itself"
    12.IT's exterior must be wireless except for attaching body parts................... DO YOU MEAN SMOOTH, OR CAN THIS BE THE CLOTH COVER MENTIONED IN #4
    13.IT must use batteries and can be rechargable.

NON-REQUIREMENTS so why include them
    5.IT can be as tall or short as practical (some misproportions OK).
    7.IT can have a wireless communications port....................................... RF, IR, AUDIO-COMMANDS ?????
    11.IT can have openings for object detection sensors.
    14.IT can be programmed in any lanugage.
    15.IT can be made of any material.................................................. reword with ANY COMBINATION OF MATERIALS
    16.IT should be able to move IT's head in some way.................................. BODY ROTATION OK ?

THINGS NOT MENTIONED
    MAX WEIGHT
    TIME DURATION OF OPERATION BETWEEN RECHARGES
    MTBF
    MAX INCLINE PLANE TO BE ENCOUNTERED
    MAX CURB TO BE ENCOUNTERED ............................. A SMOOTH FLOOR WOULD BE NICE AS A REQUIREMENT HERE
    MAX TARGET ITEM (SIZE, WEIGHT, DURATION) TO BE HANDLED AND STORED...... DURATION WOULD BE TIME/TEMP/EXPOSURE IF ICE CREAM IS INVOLVED

ADDITIONS THAT MIGHT BE NICE
    SOME FORM OF SPEECH (ENGLISH OK)

CAPS do not mean yelling, I just like things I changed to CAPS for comparison
    edited 2014-09-05 20:49
    Sounds good, A clear set of goals to shoot for. And a great idea to drop any Gender roles. :thumb:
    Though there is Ice Cream involved, It still might be difficult to convince my wife that i will need $800 dollars to build 'IT'.:smile:
    I came across a TRI-BOT WOW-WEE three wheel robot at a Goodwill store.
    Goodwill Rocks!. I can drop $400 dollars from the BOM price of 'IT', If I keep my eyes open for the good bargains.

-Tommy
    edited 2014-09-07 14:39
    Is a "sample" task something like: Get me a Drink (from he small fridge located on the floor). or maybe Go clean the kitty litter box.
    ????????
    edited 2014-09-07 15:14
    Hi.

The EVE (Extraterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator) mission is to find evidence of life such as vegetation for purposes of habitability. My own vision of "a task" for EVE is something like an easter egg hunt or some other scavenger hunt idea.

I want the "finding experience" to be something I can share with my grandson. Ferrous metal objects would be a good targets because a metal detector (a circular wire on the bottom of the bot) can be used to find them and an electro-magnet can easily be used to pick them up (a retractable magnet "finger body part" on a wire attached to an arm). A colored ball might be interesting too.

Wireless communications can be anything you like. IR, Bluetooth, microphone, Wifi, RC controller, etc.... Just don't break any laws ;-)

The propeller can talk and sing with some of Chips vocal tract code. The Activity Bot .wav file player is pretty good too.
    edited 2014-09-09 15:43
    Initial testing using a SINGLE wheel and a TRI-BOT base has some interesting engineering problems when trying to pickup things, a TILT detector may be needed so the center of gravity can be shifted.
    Is there any requirements (or restriction) that says EVE ("IT") is allowed to shift a BUT (counter-weight) out while picking things up or setting them down?
    edited 2014-09-09 18:43
    Initial testing using a SINGLE wheel and a TRI-BOT base has some interesting engineering problems when trying to pickup things, a TILT detector may be needed so the center of gravity can be shifted.
    Is there any requirements (or restriction) that says EVE ("IT") is allowed to shift a BUT (counter-weight) out while picking things up or setting them down?

Just getting a bot to balance on a ball would be an amazing achievement. Sweat the small stuff later?
    edited 2014-09-10 05:05
    jazzed wrote: »
    Just getting a bot to balance on a ball would be an amazing achievement. Sweat the small stuff later?

Agreed!

By the way Wall-E was on T.V. last night. What a great movie!
    edited 2014-09-10 12:23
    Engineering Problems/sucess with EVE (IT) [note: during testing SPIDER like training wheels were mounted on the tri-bot base so it could not HIT the ground and break]:
    1. tri-bot wheels get sand and dirt in them when testing in a large playground sandbox, resulting in a "Falling Off Ball Report" (FOBR)
    2. Center of Gravity very high using air filled children playball, tried substuting a Bowling ball so that the "systems" center of gravity was much lower. tri-bot wheels slide on a large heavy solid ball (bowling ball), resulting in a FOBR.
    3. Placing a 5 lbs scuba weight on the tri-wheel base and then traveling across a bunch of small pebbles on a driveway resulting in an ball bounce oscillation. Tri-bot wheels ended up in a FOBR.
    4. tri-bot wheels surface friction seem too low on playball surface when trying to cross yard grass, resulting in a FOBR
    5. tri-bot wheels and playball handled a "flat PUTTING GREEN" surface well
    6. tri-bot wheels and playball handled clean "standard pitch Concrete Driveway" surface well
    7. tri-bot wheels and playball did not traverse front door threshold, resulting in a FOBR

Anyone want to comments on the center of gravity and wheel surface friction issues?
    edited 2014-09-10 15:22
    How did you do your testing? Do you have it balancing on a ball already?
    edited 2014-09-11 11:33
    no, I have not tried to resolve the balancing yet. I don't expect this to be the real problem as there are a lot of PID software and inverted pend examples around. I put the spider (long and extended) legs on the base to keep it from sailing off the ball. I felt the SYSTEM needed resolved before I try to handle the individual technical issues.
    The balancing will be a challenge notability when trying to pick things up and move into the storage bay, as the center of gravity is suddenly changed. I think I need a good degree of friction on the wheels / ball to force the center of gravity back while I try loading / unloading.

Comments about the physics of the system ?
    edited 2014-09-11 14:12
    I don't expect this to be the real problem as there are a lot of PID software and inverted pend examples around. Comments about the physics of the system ?

I would think that that balancing in two axes on top of a ball is considerably harder than a Segway-style inverted pendulum, which only balances on one axis. Certainly the mass and rotational inertia of the ball add more complications.

It might be helpful to start testing in one dimension using a cylindrical roller instead of a ball.
    edited 2014-09-13 10:31
    If I stand on one leg and reach out to pickup a feather or 5 lb scuba weight, I find I need to counter balance to keep from flipping over.

I wanted to see the overall "system" parts that I would need (counter balancing, wheel friction, center of gravity location) before I commit parts and software design.

I agree that seqway and this ball are different balancing problems.

If anything I post can help others, then they are welcome to use it (mistakes and success).
    edited 2014-09-15 11:53
    For the WOW WEE Tri-bot hardware users, this might be of some help
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/143908-TriWowbot-Hacking-a-propeller-into-WowWee-products
    edited 2014-09-15 13:08
    If anything I post can help others, then they are welcome to use it (mistakes and success).

I most certainly appreciate your research and test cases. Not being able to travel through sand makes it look like the ball-balancing-bot will not be very useful for rocky planet exploration.

I do however believe that there is much to learn from trying to balance on a ball.

When I first wrote up the EVE Challenge, I was thinking of a unicycle rider. In that case, a few things are clear: 1) there must be a system of balance monitoring and counter-weight motion to keep the bot up-right, and 2) the method of locomotion and navigating through turns would interact with the balancing system. Having "a head that moves" can be part of the counter-weight system.
    edited 2014-09-16 11:31
    The counter weight I was thinking about was for the reaching arm and payload lifting. I think an extendable weight that is moving on the opposite side would be helpful. It also may help when trying to dampen out system induced oscillations.
    So far the best ball has been a Basket Ball. It seems to have enough little bumps to get a grip on (must be why basket ball players like it also).
    A floor structure that has a little support also seems the best. Hard flat tile has less "stability" then a small pile putting green surface. I think the fibers help with stability.

The issue with sand was dirt/sand getting up into the wheel rollers. A BOT sent for PLANET exploration would have better shielded bearings and may not experience the same problem.

A real issue seems to be the door-way threshold. So far all I've seen is BUMP-OOPS-BANG, as if it has enough inertia to get up then it always (maybe a better x-DOF and improved software) falls (really flings itself) over.

As far as the CHALLENGE, if you didn't say it, maybe others wouldn't be trying (and learning).
    edited 2014-09-19 14:14
    I am getting better performance with a Baden Play Ground ball 052125395511-0 (got it from toyrus). It is a rubber ball with little ridges. The unmodified tri-bot wow-wee base just clears the top when not loaded (lots of mechanical structures, general electronics, and non-complete software). Well it has just a minor rub at the center of the base, at movement times which seems to help.
    The balance system is based on a simple metal ball bearing + hanging wire + segmented round "touch/bump" disk (8 electrical segments). It is not good for navigation but is enough to tell if the unit is starting to lean or falling over.

Is this my own blog or I anyone else doing something?
  • Eagle8587Eagle8587 Posts: 6
    edited 2014-09-19 16:00
    I want to but funding and time are issues over here and i actually have a few ideas to meet some of the requirments
    edited 2014-09-19 22:12
    I hear you Eagle. Though, We can still cheer on GrandeNurse. Go! GrandeNurse Go!. and, if GrandeNurse doesn't mind, We can also 'Kibitz' at every opportunity too. :)
    GrandeNurse, Can you make video of your 8 electrical segment, touch/bump, hanging wire, ball bearing, balancing system thingy?
    It sounds very interesting, but is hard to picture.. especially on top of a rubber ball. :)

-Tommy