Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fried BS2 - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Fried BS2

2»

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-07-15 11:21
    Loopy,

I believe that power supply from RS was designed to power automotive devices such as CB radios and Car Stereos. I used to have one back in the 90s, but my Agilent supply can handle that stuff now so I gave it to a HAM operator.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2014-07-15 12:44
    Why be so hard-nosed about proof and evidence?

Otherwise you're just guessing.
    The devices need replacement, and the power supply should likely be upgraded.

The devices likely have failed, the cause is not known.
    The need for power supply upgrading is your guess.
    If would be more helpful if you revised the errors and omissions in his schematic or made additional suggestions..

It would be helpful if you would simply stick to the facts.
    I made no demands of Al (Perhaps you could point them out?) and I don't work for him.

rather than just demand the mode of communication always fits your expectations

More raving.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-07-15 14:29
    Okay guys, this is turning into a personal debate rather than helping the OP. The fact is that we don't have all the information and until we do there isn't much else we can do. Until the schematic matches the built circuit I don't see how it will be useful. And without certainty of the circuit we can't be sure what went wrong.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,749
    edited 2014-07-15 17:45
    Loopy's explanation seems plausible but heat is another possibility.
    edited 2014-07-15 18:22
    I've had a BS2 connected to a wall-pack with a GPS outdoors, running an X10 transmitter, for more than 8 years. And we get a truckload of lightning here every year.
    And it's been such a bother that I recently forgot about it still working, wondering absent-mindedly why my lights were doing something more than what I'd programmed with the X10 Clock, till I remembered "Old Faithful" over in the corner.
  • alnajjar1alnajjar1 Posts: 110
    edited 2014-07-17 05:07
    Thanks all for fascinating debate and tremendous help. Sorry for my omissions with circuit schematics, I will do better in future. Having a graduate degree in physics gives affinity to 'hard' proof and getting to the bottom of everything which I leads me to appreciates PJ's take on this. However, with over 300,000 visitors (mostly kids) in the Museum every year wanting to play and learn, one has to also be pragmatic and expedient.

I am changing the supply, adding heat sinks, fan in the enclosure and purchased a better surge protector. Hopefully this will take care of it.

Many thanks again, love this forum and the passionate debate.

Al
    edited 2014-07-17 07:41
    alnajjar1 wrote: »
    Hopefully this will take care of it.

That's all it is - "hope".
    Don't forget to buy a lottery ticket.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2014-07-18 13:56
    Fried BS2 is no big woop in the deep south where I come from. They fry everything and then serve it up with a mess of grits, collard greens and boiled peanuts.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,749
    edited 2014-07-18 16:47
    What do those failed parts look like?
    Any discoloration or evidence of physical damage?

Also, was any of the wiring replaced when the new parts were added?