Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ruminations while awaiting an FPGA image (was "Hello...... Anyone out there?") - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Ruminations while awaiting an FPGA image (was "Hello...... Anyone out there?")

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,209
    edited 2014-06-14 04:01
    Lighten up a little, it's only the forum here, and give some imaginative input where you can. If Parallax find a gem out of this then all the better.
    edited 2014-06-14 04:16
    Propeller still works fine, btw. It's just a 16 bladed propeller now. :)
    edited 2014-06-14 04:37
    In CPU architecture we are familiar with pipelining so that the CPU doesn't have to wait for the next instruction although there are pipeline stalls, anyway these are concepts people in the know - know. We could refer to this hub memory as a Pipelined Multi-port RAM or PMR or just PRAM. Quite apt since it carries around Chip's baby :)

Pipelined Multi-port RAM does kind of fit. From the view of the whole of HubRAM it does indeed have 16 ports. The term pipelined sort of describes the sequential burst nature but it's not quite right as pipelining is not a boundary aligned mechanism.

How about Interleaved Multi-port RAM?
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-06-14 05:53
    - A roulette wheel with 16 spokes, which spins (the eggbeater hub
    - the sixteen "cups" representing cogs

It would be accurate too, as each "cup" would be in contact with a "spoke" at all times except the moment it advances.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2014-06-14 07:11
    Coley wrote: »
    How would Microchip, TI, Atmel and the others approach this?
    Would they offer it up to a public forum to come up with a clever/cute descriptive name? I think not.

No, they'd give it to a marketing professional to come up with a technical description that would appeal to the professional engineers out there.
    Hm.. marketing people are not known among engineers to actually come up with names that appeal to engineers. They speak a different language. Just look at all the hopeless marketing names out there..
    On the other hand this forum is actually choke full of professional engineers, so playing around (a bit light-heartedly) with naming suggestions is fine IMO.

-Tor
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2014-06-14 09:09
    This makes sense... No need to dumb it down.
    Establish a solid,straight-forward explaination in typical technicial terms.
    For those who are already technically minded, it'll make sense; for the newbie, it'll provide an opportunity to learn.

Focus on building simpiciity into the operation of product, don't waste efforts in coming up with a name like turkey grinder...
    koehler wrote: »
    I'll have to be the lone dissenter here I guess.

Trying to force some sort of car/plane/gear analogy as an explanation of what is happening seems to be the same old-same old as with the P1 before.

Not sure it helped pique any real substantial interest, regardless of how many of the converted swear its helped them explain the P1 to others.

Why not try something different this time, and use a more tech-familiar explanation based upon timing, ports, memory, cores, processes, threads, etc ?

No, I don't have one at the moment, however I'd still like to see Parallax focus explaining the new P2 in a way that does not remind anyone of propellers, goofy beanies, and cogs and gears.... :nerd:
  • eldonb46eldonb46 Posts: 70
    edited 2014-06-14 12:29
    Has "carousel" been mentioned?

or maybe "Data Carousel" or "Pipeline Carousel", or "Crossbar Carousel"
  • koehlerkoehler Posts: 598
    edited 2014-06-14 18:21
    Yeah, not looking to p in anyone's cornflakes. It just that it seems quite likely that a suggestion here could in fact end up being used.
    Its one thing to say, and I agree in the main, that Marketers are the bane of Engineers existence.... However, they are a necessary evil, and do serve their purpose in ways that most of us left-brained dominated folks simply can't do.

I'd say, cut all the confusing mixed metaphors, and make it beyond simple, and memorable in ways that Egg-beater 16x, Turkey Grinder 2.0, NTSF:SD:SUV can't:

The Parallax-16
    16 Cores
    80-100Mhz
    512 K RAM

Just my 2p worth
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-06-14 22:07
    koehler wrote: »
    Its one thing to say, and I agree in the main, that Marketers are the bane of Engineers existence.... However, they are a necessary evil, and do serve their purpose in ways that most of us left-brained dominated folks simply can't do.

As much as I hate it, I absolutely agree.

It's kind of like that silly pricing idea .... To me something that is $19.95 is $20. To my wife it's $19 .... hurray for imaginary 5% discounts!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-06-14 23:36
    jazzed wrote:
    To me something that is $19.95 is $20.
    I don't know why, but I've used the same strategy for wholesaling stuff. Surely purchasing agents are wise to this, so why bother, right? Maybe it's because I'm afraid that if I charge $24 for something instead of $23.95, the retailer will mark it up to $40 to get their full 40% instead of $39.95.

It's nuts, I know.

-Phil
    edited 2014-06-15 04:05
    jazzed wrote: »
    To my wife it's $19 ....

Huh? Has she actually stated that?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2014-06-15 10:11

It's kind of like that silly pricing idea .... To me something that is $19.95 is $20. To my wife it's $19 .... hurray for imaginary 5% discounts!

That's because we know the difference between rounding and truncating.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-06-16 03:06

It was explained to me over 40 years ago by a big retailer, that the $19.95 ($1.29 back then) was to force the register operator to ring up the price on the register thereby opening the drawer to give the 1c change. This resulted in a lot less pilfering by operators. Remember, in those days the cash registers were manual and there were no sales totals and no CCTV watching them.

But I know a lot of shoppers thing $19.95 is way less than $20.00.
    edited 2014-06-16 04:13
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    But I know a lot of shoppers thing $19.95 is way less than $20.00.

I'm gonna do a little speculating on this point: I think what's happening there is it's like putting on a brave face. Act like it's a winning solution so to speak ... and end up convincing themselves there's a significant difference!

I'm certainly struggling to figure out anything rational.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-06-16 17:37
    evanh wrote: »
    I'm gonna do a little speculating on this point: I think what's happening there is it's like putting on a brave face. Act like it's a winning solution so to speak ... and end up convincing themselves there's a significant difference!

I'm certainly struggling to figure out anything rational.
    I worked as an editor at BYTE Magazine ages ago and I once had a discussion with one of their marketing people who insisted that people were far more likely to buy something that was priced $19.97 than something that was priced $19.95. He claimed to be able to prove it by citing a study but I never followed up on it. Seems insane to me.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2014-06-17 01:43
    Agreed. When you have a mind that thinks logically it is very difficult to understand minds that don't.. I certainly can't.
    And when shops here sell something for NOK 9.99, or even 9.90.. well, the smallest Norwegian coin is 0.50. So obviously you'll pay NOK 10.00 in any case. So they could as well have priced it as NOK 9.80, but they don't. I have difficulties believing that anyone would think it doesn't cost NOK 10.00. I'm still not sure. But the shops continue to price that way.. I give up understanding people.

Cluso99's story about the origins of the (in that case) $1.29 was very logical though. Makes sense.

-Tor
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2014-06-17 02:14
    David Betz wrote: »
    I worked as an editor at BYTE Magazine ages ago and I once had a discussion with one of their marketing people who insisted that people were far more likely to buy something that was priced $19.97 than something that was priced $19.95. He claimed to be able to prove it by citing a study but I never followed up on it. Seems insane to me.

Really! Whenabouts, we still have lots of Byte and Dr Dobbs mags, I'll have to look up something intelligent
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-06-17 04:39
    Tubular wrote: »
    Really! Whenabouts, we still have lots of Byte and Dr Dobbs mags, I'll have to look up something intelligent
    I once worked as an editor at Dr. Dobbs as well. :-)
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-06-18 01:17
    I used to subscribe to Byte & Dr.Dobbs magazines. They were really interesting magazines at the time. Unfortunately when we moved and downsized around 2001, all those magazines and lots of electronics, computer boards, and my dearly beloved mini (length of my garage) were all disposed of :(
    So many now useful and historic bits and pieces, including tubes of Z80's etc, etc.
    That's progress!
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,744
    edited 2014-07-12 03:40
    The new chip drawing reminded me of a Ratchet.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2014-07-12 08:44
    Here is a neat video of the insides of jet engines. This kind of reminds me of the new hub memory system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXSi4GXUojo
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,744
    edited 2014-07-14 15:05
    Interesting video Chip. The jet engine compressor stator also has a resemblance to the Permanent Magnet stator of a Stepper Motor.
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2014-07-14 18:30
    My wife asked me yesterday, "why are you watching videos about jet engines?" I told her because Chip said so and she said "okay then, that makes sense".
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-07-14 18:38
    Wow, if the PII screams with power like some of the motors they are testing in those vids we will all be very happy.
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2014-07-14 21:20
    Chip,

I am using a kindle t hat aS gift e d go me . I m sick an d tired o f fighting with the v** da.combed s p selling. Irrespective . Corrector .com so I have decided to just post what the kindle thinks I am trying g to say.

Thanks

Rich
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2014-07-15 07:17
    hey can anyone here tell me which sensor to use for diameter or radius measurement?

can pir sensors do this?
    Not really, although you could place the object to be measured and the sensor in a jig, measure the distance between them, and calculate the diameter or radius. A dial gauge would be a better choice for this.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2014-07-15 08:01
    kwinn wrote: »
    Not really, although you could place the object to be measured and the sensor in a jig, measure the distance between them, and calculate the diameter or radius. A dial gauge would be a better choice for this.

What does this have to do with the P2 and this thread?

@Raunak: please observe forum rules and etiquette, start a new thread, do not hijack another thread and also please use the correct forum, either sensors or general.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-07-15 09:18
    What does this have to do with the P2 and this thread?

@Raunak: please observe forum rules and etiquette, start a new thread, do not hijack another thread and also please use the correct forum, either sensors or general.

Peter,

I removed his duplicate post here and left the one in Sensors. Agreed a new thread should be started.

Jim
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,743
    edited 2014-07-19 10:51
    That jet engine is quite outdated, indeed, the same compression rates you get today from a third of the stages, But this is a very special species of a micro turbine I made years ago. This post is just to fill a gap ;-)
    JPG_0661.jpg
    640 x 480 - 62K
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2014-07-19 16:59
    That is true. I think the J79 was the F4 Phantom II engine.