Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ruminations while awaiting an FPGA image (was "Hello...... Anyone out there?") — Parallax Forums

Ruminations while awaiting an FPGA image (was "Hello...... Anyone out there?")

David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
edited 2014-08-15 13:15 in Propeller 2
It's been very quiet here lately. I guess Chip is hard at work on the revised P2 design and we're all giving him space to come up with the next great thing. Or maybe it's just that the weather got nice and no one wants to sit inside playing with microcontrollers.

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2014-06-06 20:09
    I'm giving him space and catching up with a new job.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-06-06 20:09
    I'm here. IMHO we are all patiently waiting for news from Chip with hopefully a fpga release.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-06-06 20:16
    Weather's nice; got a P1 project competing with outdoor time; P2 isn't even on my radar.

-Phil
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-06-06 20:18
    I'm busy at work, playing with Micromites, cutting grass and waiting for some P2 emulation images so I can use my DE0 and DE2 for something other than paper weights. Haven't had much to say in Propeller world...so I'm not saying much!! (nobody listens to me anyway)

It has been very quiet lately.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-06-06 20:21
    mindrobots wrote: »
    I'm busy at work, playing with Micromites, cutting grass and waiting for some P2 emulation images so I can use my DE0 and DE2 for something other than paper weights. Haven't had much to say in Propeller world...so I'm not saying much!! (nobody listens to me anyway)

It has been very quiet lately.
    Micromites? Is that the PIC chip running Basic that OBC has been working with? Sounds kind of interesting. I'm waiting for OBC to come up with a kit with that and a Propeller.
    edited 2014-06-06 20:23
    Weather's nice; got a P1 project competing with outdoor time; P2 isn't even on my radar.

-Phil
    Someone asked me to port a Basic compiler/vm that I wrote for the Propeller to an AVR chip. I did that and got it working but then ported the VM back to the Propeller. I'm now trying to convince him to use a Propeller instead of the AVR for his project. Not sure if I'll be successful though.
  • JRetSapDoogJRetSapDoog Posts: 954
    edited 2014-06-06 20:50
    The calm before the storm, I trust. Or the sea is receding from the shore; get ready for a tsunami!
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-06-06 21:20
    David Betz wrote: »
    Micromites? Is that the PIC chip running Basic that OBC has been working with? Sounds kind of interesting. I'm waiting for OBC to come up with a kit with that and a Propeller.

That's the one. It's a fun change of pace.
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2014-06-06 21:31
    Hello Hello is anybody out there?, the girl in the pic below is actually the blond girl from Bananarama.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8nibIN7i6M
    mqdefault.jpg
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2014-06-06 22:09
    The peace and quiet is nice. Obviously others have more stomach for Sturm und Drang than I.

Meanwhile, FISH FORTH for the LPC1114 has been so much fun. Not as capable as the P1 but nearly as magical.
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2014-06-06 23:34
    Busy building ASCs to replenish Parallax. (Whoever is buying them in batches of 30, thank you!)
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,791
    edited 2014-06-06 23:37
    It's amazing how much work you get done when your not reading forum posts all day :)
    Anxiously waiting for news on the new design though, FPGA boards all warmed up and ready for action.
    edited 2014-06-06 23:54
    Oh, and I am in S.Korea visiting my new twin grandsons plus daughter and husband with wifey :D
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2014-06-07 00:45
    I have been super busy helping the Fast Pinball guys get ready for the North West Pinball & Arcade Show (NWPAS) which is going on this weekend. Burning the midnight (really 4-5am) oil working on software for their WPC MPU replacement board that lets you take over control of a pinball machine using a computer or beaglebone black (or other small micro board).

It's been really fun, but combined with my day job, I've had no time for anything else...
    edited 2014-06-07 04:38
    Busy building ASCs to replenish Parallax. (Whoever is buying them in batches of 30, thank you!)
    Wow! I'm glad to hear the ASC is such a success. It's a great board! So is the DNA.
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2014-06-07 04:43
    Restarting work on propeller LED book. I think we all said everything we need to on p2 until we have a design. That's okay.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-06-07 05:21
    I'm waiting patiently for the next fpga image, working on other projects and my site... plus trying to spend time with wifey.

Also restraining myself from posting "Are we there yet?" every day...
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    edited 2014-06-07 07:37
    David Betz wrote: »
    ... weather got nice and no one wants to sit inside playing with microcontrollers.
    PropBOE/USB + Laptop ==> play outside ;-)
  • Brian FairchildBrian Fairchild Posts: 549
    edited 2014-06-07 14:09
    mindrobots wrote: »
    ...playing with Micromites...

Snap! And playing with Maximite and adding custom commands into it.
  • LA6WNALA6WNA Posts: 138
    edited 2014-06-07 14:44
    Yes, there is anyone out here.. and the weather IS too good to sit inside playing with mc. In fact, the weather was so good that it ended up in a thunderstorm here at Friday. Lightning blowed away 2 of my RS-485 bus drivers, so I had to do som chip replacement yesterday. Now I`ve ordered some TVS-diodes to put on the RS485-line. Hope it works.
    :cool::cool:
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2014-06-07 17:34
    Walked away from fretting over the Prop2. it'll happen whenever it happens.

In the meantime, refining my Prop1 coding ability with my Propeller/Micromite combo.

@David, Soon.. We just reached another milestone today with conversion of all of the Propeller control to I2C.

Jeff
    edited 2014-06-07 18:04
    Walked away from fretting over the Prop2. it'll happen whenever it happens.

In the meantime, refining my Prop1 coding ability with my Propeller/Micromite combo.

@David, Soon.. We just reached another milestone today with conversion of all of the Propeller control to I2C.

Jeff
    Why did you convert to i2c? Does it give you better performance than UART?
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2014-06-07 18:07
    I think I'm seeing the max speed of the Propeller now.. It's more reliable than the other method I was employing.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2014-06-07 18:22
    I'm glad you guys all have things to work on, but are planning on being back here in the future!

Last night I got 16 cogs compiling with the new egg-beater hub memory. It was taking 64% of the DE2-115 FPGA. There's more I need to add to the cogs before they are done, but they are running a really simple program that increments OUTA, just fine. All the math/logic functions are done. What is left is the DAC shifter and hub exec - and a bunch of other details, I'm sure.

This effort has turned out to be a complete re-design. Every line of Verilog is new. It's all pretty simple and snug, so far. There's nothing that requires any deep recollection of how it works.
    edited 2014-06-07 19:04
    cgracey wrote: »
    I'm glad you guys all have things to work on, but are planning on being back here in the future!

Last night I got 16 cogs compiling with the new egg-beater hub memory. It was taking 64% of the DE2-115 FPGA. There's more I need to add to the cogs before they are done, but they are running a really simple program that increments OUTA, just fine. All the math/logic functions are done. What is left is the DAC shifter and hub exec - and a bunch of other details, I'm sure.

This effort has turned out to be a complete re-design. Every line of Verilog is new. It's all pretty simple and snug, so far. There's nothing that requires any deep recollection of how it works.
    Hi Chip. Thanks for the update! Sounds like you'll have a very elegant design when you're done. Looking forward to seeing it.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-06-07 19:09
    cgracey wrote:
    It's all pretty simple ...

If you say so! :)

Chip, for the sake of our health and fitness while the weather is nice, please don't release anything until, oh, say, October.

Thanks
    -Phil
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-06-07 19:45
    Great news Chip!

• TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2014-06-07 21:17
    Chip, for the sake of our health and fitness while the weather is nice, please don't release anything until, oh, say, October.

Or, if you need some beta testers in the mean time, it is winter down here...
    edited 2014-06-07 22:42
    tubular: Weather is nice here! But I have my DE0 with me at the ready ;)
  • pik33pik33 Posts: 2,350
    edited 2014-06-08 00:08

I have only one feature request:

Please make an P1+ FPGA DE2-115 emulator run without any other requisites...

... so I can run it without adding anything to DE2-115...