Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HexPi - my first hexapod! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

HexPi - my first hexapod!

Comments

• Paul K.Paul K. Posts: 150
    edited 2014-05-23 08:44
    Erco the controller I found that work great are the MadCatz PS2 2.4Ghz wireless. Gamestop has these as well made by MadCatz just with a Gamestop logo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAD-CATZ-WIRELESS-CONTROLLER-FOR-PS2-PLAYSTATION-2-2009-8386-GAMESTOP-/251537731770?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item3a90d130ba
    or you can go with this which has a breakout board and no need to hack the receiver.
    http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-869-ps2-robot-controller-v3.aspx
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-05-23 16:50
    Erco:

Yep, that's the one. Mine came with a small adapter pcb. I got it from RobotShip for about $25Cdn a few months back.

Whit:

Thank you! It is a fun build... and I am getting periously close to needing to program it. I just need time to attach and re-calibrate the legs. I'll keep blogging the build.

Paul K:

That's the one! I have not had a chance to try it yet, but it is on the list.

All:

I am being family-napped again, so no lab time for me this weekend. At least I'll get to see my niece and nephews!
    edited 2014-05-26 18:06
    HexPi has all his legs!!!!

And the legs are as calibrated as well as they can be with these servo horns.

I took some photos, will post some later for my build log.

http://www.mikronauts.com/robot-zoo/hexpi-hexapod-pi-robot/

Next: hooking up all those (now labeled) servo leads...
    edited 2014-05-30 12:01
    Update:

I made a lot of good progress in the last couple of days.

Finally figured out why the MG-995's were jittering, and solved it .. basically it really hates more than 6V, and I was using an older version of the PWM object from the wrong directory. I'll blog a longer description later.

HexPi-0452.jpg

Time to wiggle HexPi's legs with the better mousetrap servo tester!
    800 x 420 - 127K
    edited 2014-06-03 18:28
    Some progress today... I got "The Better Mousetrap Servo Tester" to wiggle HexPi's legs, one after the other!

I need more filtering on the power, and some of the MG-995's may need to be replaced with less troublesome ones... I'll keep y'all updated... but I am close to being able to manually control all the legs at the same time.

I just need to modify TBMST to switch the joysticks between different servo pairs when the thumbstick is pressed, as right now it only controls eight servos. There is more detail on my site's latest blog post.

I'll start posting videos soon.

The servos are a pain in the posterior... but I am having a blast with HexPi, and TBMST will be very useful for all my future projects.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-06-04 17:48
    I'll start posting videos soon.

This I gotta see. Standing by!
    edited 2014-06-04 23:43
    Careful, Bill. Apparently hexapods can give you "Doc Brown" hair!
    edited 2014-06-05 11:45
    Will do! I am trying to cobble togeather a better stand for HexPi for the leg-xperiments...
    erco wrote: »
    This I gotta see. Standing by!
    edited 2014-06-05 11:47
    LOL!

Cool video, thanks.

Was that a wooden hexapod, or acrylic with pater still on the plastic? I could not tell for certain.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-06-05 12:22

Gotta be a dye job on someone that young. Or he has a serious illness.

I once met the real "Doc Brown" (Chris Lloyd) in a recording session that I was involved with. Very kind, quiet, and professional. And short! BTTF I could understand, next to Michael J. Fox. He just seemed taller in Taxi.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-06-12 22:21
    Bill has a link to the kit on his LMR page.

I haven't figured out if your link and Bill's are to different kits or not.
    edited 2014-06-13 05:23
    Erco, that looks like it!

There are a ton of selles on Ebay who sell it, or almost identical kits.
    edited 2014-06-13 05:25
    The only differences I can see are:

- the silver one has a small square cutout in the front (perhaps for a micro servo)
    - the one I linked to does not, and is black (I figured most people would want black)

I chose silver to make it less scary for the kids in the family.
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Bill has a link to the kit on his LMR page.

I haven't figured out if your link and Bill's are to different kits or not.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-06-13 09:17
    @Erco, let us know if you get one. I've been very tempted to follow Bill's lead and get one of these kits. If you get one, I'll get one. I already have the servos.
    edited 2014-06-13 10:14
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    @Erco, let us know if you get one. I've been very tempted to follow Bill's lead and get one of these kits. If you get one, I'll get one. I already have the servos.

Oh, there is zero chance of that. Despite amassing an impressive collection of HXT900 servos (dang Hobby King will only let you buy 20 at a time), I haven't touched Paul K's hexapod kit, I have 5 current robot projects & articles, and my summer may be getting even busier, depending. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/156071-Private-Team-to-Restart-Engines-on-36-Year-Old-NASA-Spacecraft BTW, you and I need to revisit the laser sensor project to make a board which holds the laser. I'll need ~75 boards and you're my guy.

For now, I'm happy with my diff drive walking Spiderbot & TheobotBut don't let me stop you from getting a Hexapod and letting it become the all-consuming object of your fixation!

I know it's an amazing IK challenge just to get all the legs moving, there are some very impressive videos which demo mind-boggling motion control, with no foot dragging or scrubbing. What I haven't seen a lot of with these is autonomous navigation over rough terrain or narrow corridors, which is where these walkers could easily outperform most wheeled robots. Are you and Bill and Martin_H and Gareth and Rich up to the challenge? It all starts with a figure 8, naturally. :)

Oh, I almost forget about another project which will consume much of my summer time: Formula E at Art Center College in Pasadena. I'm heading up a team to build a radio-controlled rubber band powered car multi-event challenge in August. Pretty competitive field. Student projects, they have been working many months, we haven't started yet. Rules attached.
  • vanmunchvanmunch Posts: 568
    edited 2014-06-13 14:24
    Oh, there is zero chance of that. Despite amassing an impressive collection of HXT900 servos (dang Hobby King will only let you buy 20 at a time), I haven't touched Paul K's hexapod kit, I have 5 current robot projects & articles, and my summer may be getting even busier, depending. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/156071-Private-Team-to-Restart-Engines-on-36-Year-Old-NASA-Spacecraft BTW, you and I need to revisit the laser sensor project to make a board which holds the laser. I'll need ~75 boards and you're my guy.

For now, I'm happy with my diff drive walking Spiderbot & TheobotBut don't let me stop you from getting a Hexapod and letting it become the all-consuming object of your fixation!

I know it's an amazing IK challenge just to get all the legs moving, there are some very impressive videos which demo mind-boggling motion control, with no foot dragging or scrubbing. What I haven't seen a lot of with these is autonomous navigation over rough terrain or narrow corridors, which is where these walkers could easily outperform most wheeled robots. Are you and Bill and Martin_H and Gareth and Rich up to the challenge? It all starts with a figure 8, naturally. :)

Oh, I almost forget about another project which will consume much of my summer time: Formula E at Art Center College in Pasadena. I'm heading up a team to build a radio-controlled rubber band powered car multi-event challenge in August. Pretty competitive field. Student projects, they have been working many months, we haven't started yet. Rules attached.

[video=youtube_share;hl98WNt4ijQ]

Using a Basic Stamp2sx. All original code that uses less than 20 bit of ram. :D

[video=youtube_share;Mkn0oeqwf0k]

Ported same program over to the Propeller
    edited 2014-06-13 14:31
    That is LOVELY, David! I especially like your dual PING array. Thanks for posting!
  • vanmunchvanmunch Posts: 568
    edited 2014-06-13 17:17
    That is LOVELY, David! I especially like your dual PING array. Thanks for posting!

Just needs some flames! :)
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-06-13 17:42
    Does anyone have the CAD files for making the parts for any of the Hex Pi's? I think it would be kind of fun to build one from scratch, possibly from wood or PVC Sheet.

EDIT: On second thought, I may just design my own if I can find the time between other projects and life!!!! I have a fairly large collection of Erector parts from garage sales and lots of PVC and other plastic sheet. Will post once I start on it.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2014-06-13 22:27
    Someday, when life approaches normality I would really like to get/make a hexapod. Someday.
    edited 2014-06-13 22:38
    W9GFO wrote: »
    Someday, when life approaches normality I would really like to get/make a hexapod. Someday.

How's Kepler coming, Rich? :)
    edited 2014-06-13 23:29
    Ahhh, twist the knife erco why doncha!
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-06-14 10:12

At 90 quatloos those hexapod kits look mighty fine. And you know, Rich, you could always get the servos from Hobby King...
    edited 2014-06-14 10:59
    Someday, when life approaches normality...

Has that ever happened for anyone here? Just askin'...
    edited 2014-06-14 11:29
    Hobby King!? Aargh! I'm dyin here....

I would be okay with approaching normality. Full normality is never expected, nor desired.
    edited 2014-06-14 12:49
    I'm ramping up to teach several mechatronics classes at work in August. I received 10 HXT900 servos from Hobby King, no problems, and just ordered 20 more (the limit is 20 or I would have bought more).

Apologies to Bill for hijacking his thread several times. :)
    edited 2014-06-14 18:57
    I findally found time to catch up with this thread...

Duane

the more hexapod builds the merrier!

Erco

hmmm... I may take up that autonomous outdoor hexapod navigation challange... after I have HexPi running well indoors :)

vanmunch

you have got to be kidding re/ 20 bits of BS2 code for a hexapod. No way. Nice bots though!

Andy

design your own... then show us!

Rich

go for it! The more the merrier...

Gordon

why don't you build one? Those chassis are well worth the ~$90USD!

Erco

let me know how those servo's work out! And I don't think the thread was hijaked, I love reading about what you guys are doing with hexapods. HexPi needs friends :)

All:

I'm setting up another test for monday, this time trying to move all six legs, knee and ankle.

Still holding off on moving the shoulders, until I add more ADC inputs to TBMST, and two more high-power servo outputs. Details will follow.

New video soon!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2014-06-14 19:22
    At 90 quatloos those hexapod kits look mighty fine.

Just watched an original episode of Star Trek, Gordon...

@Bill - Your work on this project really makes the complexity of Hexapod clear to those of us who've never attempted it! Love reading about your progress.
    edited 2014-06-15 15:12
    Thank you Whit!

I hope to have another update tomorrow.

This journey would have been a lot simpler if I had not gotten stubborn about trying to get these inexpensive servos working "right" - mind you, it is a quite interesting journey trying to get them to behave nicely :)
    Whit wrote: »
    Just watched an original episode of Star Trek, Gordon...

@Bill - Your work on this project really makes the complexity of Hexapod clear to those of us who've never attempted it! Love reading about your progress.