Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The New 16-Cog, 512KB, 64 analog I/O Propeller Chip - Page 34 — Parallax Forums

The New 16-Cog, 512KB, 64 analog I/O Propeller Chip

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2014-04-16 02:37
    Tubular wrote: »
    I'd miss tasks. I have three asynchronous tasks running in a single (P3-) cog, and only one one of those (video stream) needs to interact with the hub rather than the pins.

If tasks go then the replacement is probably a 4~6 cog "traditional P1 style" cog solution, with key functions divided into one P1+ cog each. It would have a heap of data going via hub, which would be unnecessary, but it'd still work. 4~6 cogs depending on how smart the pins are.

The good news is I'd have more cogs left over now, and perhaps get a P1+ slightly sooner, which has appeal too. But it worries me slightly that we're getting towards the point where two P1's (also giving 16 cogs, 64 pins, but available now) is looking like valid competition. I know that's simplistic.

I haven't looked in depth at software tasking, so I'd be interested in your proposed general approach for the monitor, Chip. I expect there would be lots of comms objects where you have an input stream, an output stream, and a command processor / state machine, and what kind of performance looks achievable with a software approach.

I had totally forgotten about video. Tasking helps a cog get a lot of other stuff done.

I'll get things running without tasking, at first, and then see what it would take to add it back in. I just need to hew this down to get it started.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2014-04-16 02:44
    cgracey wrote: »
    Question:

Is anyone going to be disappointed if we get rid of hardware multitasking in the cogs?

It's a cool feature, but does introduce jitter in tasks, depending on the instruction mix. It also takes some extra flops and logic to support properly, beyond the Z/C/PC's.

I'm thinking about the ROM_Monitor and realizing that I could code it with a single task by doing cooperative multitasking at a few time-critical points in the program. I wouldn't need hardware multitasking, after all.

No multitasking would keep the cogs very simple to understand, and keep them deterministic.

Any thoughts?

Totally fine here without hardware multitasking Chip, we had 8 cogs without hardware multitasking on the original Prop, we now have 16 cogs with awesome bells and whistles, we will be fine without it!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-04-16 02:47
    Well spotted Roy. I missed out the "not".

Post is corrected now.
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,646
    edited 2014-04-16 02:48
    I agree with jmg that having either tasks or hub exec, selectable on a cog by cog basis, would work well too, if that would make your life simpler

Chip while I'm a big supporter of tasks, I do think just getting out a basic DE0 P1+ release (tasks out, hubexec out, just for now) would be prudent. We can start testing the cog logic, but we can also port current P2 applications in and see how they "fit".

Question: would be "smart pins" be included in the DE0 release? (We could wait for smart pins too, we've done ok so far on P2)
    edited 2014-04-16 02:52
    Tubular wrote: »
    I agree with jmg that having either tasks or hub exec, selectable on a cog by cog basis, would work well too, if that would make your life simpler

Chip while I'm a big supporter of tasks, I do think just getting out a basic DE0 P1+ release (tasks out, hubexec out, just for now) would be prudent. We can start testing the cog logic, but we can also port current P2 applications in and see how they "fit".

Question: would be "smart pins" be included in the DE0 release? (We could wait for smart pins too, we've done ok so far on P2)

Tasks are not that hard, once everything else is in place.

I'm just nailing the instruction set down now, so I'll know what I'm making. I hope to start the Verilog tomorrow.

Smart pins would be on the DE0-Nano. We can add as many as will fit.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-04-16 03:08
    I agree, a cog may use either hubexec or multi-tasking, but not both concurrently (in the same cog).
    But even simple hubexec has preference over multi-tasking.

An FPGA with anything will be a help asap ;)
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,132
    edited 2014-04-16 04:08
    With the old 8 or 4 cog P2, I though multitasking was critical.
    But, with 16 cogs, I don't think it's worth the trouble...
    And, hubexec is 100x more important, even if it's a barebones hubexec.
  • RossHRossH Posts: 5,399
    edited 2014-04-16 04:14
    Rayman wrote: »
    With the old 8 or 4 cog P2, I though multitasking was critical.
    But, with 16 cogs, I don't think it's worth the trouble...
    And, hubexec is 100x more important, even if it's a barebones hubexec.

Hubexec is not worth the risk of not having a P16X32B.

Ross.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-04-16 04:54
    I know that hub execution is probably now out of scope but I wanted to point out one other possible advantage of having it rather than falling back onto the old LMM technique of executing code from hub memory. If we had direct execution of code from hub memory then the vast majority of COG memory could be made available for a CMM kernel which would allow us to have a compressed code model for non-time-critical code along with hub execution for code that needs to run faster. This isn't possible with LMM+CMM because there isn't enough room in COG memory for both the LMM and the CMM kernel at the same time. You could even combine direct hub execution with XMM to get the ability to run some code from external memory. Of course, these combination modes would require compiler support in PropGCC and in Catalina but they are possible.
    edited 2014-04-16 05:20
    Hub exec IS going to be in the next chip. I've just been stalled out over the last few days getting the new instruction set nailed down. At times, all the details seem overwhelming and I think about paring it down, just to get it going again. This new memory scheme (dual-port 128x128 bits, instead of quad-port 512x32) changes a lot of things. It's hard for me to get there in one step. Asking you guys how you'd feel about dropping certain features alleviates the pressure on me. In the end, we'll likely have hardware multi-tasking back, too. Sorry for all the alarm.
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,792
    edited 2014-04-16 05:43
    Hub exec IS going to be in the next chip. I've just been stalled out over the last few days getting the new instruction set nailed down. At times, all the details seem overwhelming and I think about paring it down, just to get it going again. This new memory scheme (dual-port 128x128 bits, instead of quad-port 512x32) changes a lot of things. It's hard for me to get there in one step. Asking you guys how you'd feel about dropping certain features alleviates the pressure on me. In the end, we'll likely have hardware multi-tasking back, too. Sorry for all the alarm.
    Phew! Putting heart pills away now... :)

I assume the DE0 + DE2 FPGA builds will fit more cogs than before?
    Maybe DE0 4+Cogs and more Hub, and DE2 8+Cogs and Hub?
    A fmax gain too? :)

Cheers
    Brian
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-04-16 05:52
    Not cheating, my vote was about loss of performance and capabilities - which does include hubexec, however hubexec was not the only reason. Others were:

- loss of AUX/CLUT/HD output
    - loss of single cycle instructions
    - loss of INDA/INDB/PTRX/PTRY
    - loss of AUX stacks
    - loss of CORDIC/big MUL/big DIV

etc.

So you are correct, hubexec was a big part of it - but not all, I should not have said "nothing to do with hubexec", but said "only partially due to hubexec" :)

As my wife points out... my memory is not great anynore :(

which does not equate to cheating.
    msrobots wrote: »
    Bill,

you have some short memory there.

You voted NO because of not including hubexec and slot-sharing.

It was NOT about P1/P2 it was about P1 on steroids.

Don't cheat

Mike
    edited 2014-04-16 05:53
    I'm hoping we can fit four cogs into the DE0-Nano, and all 16 into the DE2-115, with plenty of smart pins in both.
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,792
    edited 2014-04-16 06:02
    I'm hoping we can fit four cogs into the DE0-Nano, and all 16 into the DE2-115, with plenty of smart pins in both.
    Fabulous! :) Cool! :) Great! :) Awesome! :) Excellent! :)
    edited 2014-04-16 06:09
    Excellent news!!!
    hub exec is going to be in the next chip. I've just been stalled out over the last few days getting the new instruction set nailed down. At times, all the details seem overwhelming and i think about paring it down, just to get it going again. This new memory scheme (dual-port 128x128 bits, instead of quad-port 512x32) changes a lot of things. It's hard for me to get there in one step. Asking you guys how you'd feel about dropping certain features alleviates the pressure on me. In the end, we'll likely have hardware multi-tasking back, too. Sorry for all the alarm.
    edited 2014-04-16 06:10
    Drooling...

On the DE0, could you bring out all 64 I/O's? Make the rest of them 'dumb' but still available for regular dumb-io
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-04-16 06:25
    Drooling...

On the DE0, could you bring out all 64 I/O's? Make the rest of them 'dumb' but still available for regular dumb-io

So we don't establish a new term how about naming them "standard" I/O for now if they're not all "smart" on the FPGA, if it is the case that they don't have the same characteristics? Minor suggestion and I respect your contributions a bunch.

Ken Gracey
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,356
    edited 2014-04-16 06:32
    As my wife points out... my memory is not great anynore :(

which does not equate to cheating.

Orrrrr, seeing the light, maybe? :P ... Nah, if I may offer an analysis, I think the voting thing caught you off guard. You had invested your time into helping Chip and then some punk thought this was all a democracy and it appeared like that was the deciding factor.

While Chip may have taken a second look due to the vote, in the end, I think the last round of thermal simulations at four Cogs is really what did it in for the P2 design at 180nm.
    edited 2014-04-16 06:34
    Standard I/O is way better :)

Thanks Ken.
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    So we don't establish a new term how about naming them "standard" I/O for now if they're not all "smart" on the FPGA, if it is the case that they don't have the same characteristics? Minor suggestion and I respect your contributions a bunch.

Ken Gracey
  • KyeKye Posts: 2,200
    edited 2014-04-16 06:38
    I would drop as many features to make hubexec easy. Fall back to the simple P1 instruction set if necessary, but keep the multiplier, and maybe the divider.

What made the P1 special is multiple cores. Not lots of fancy asm instructions. Hubexec removes the central limitation with the P1.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-04-16 06:40
    Fantastic news for hubexec !!!

Multi-tasking I will likely never use except if there is a standard driver using it.
    Even better news :)
    edited 2014-04-16 06:45
    LOL...

Actually what really threw me was the "sky is falling" when 1-2W typical was predicted a long time ago.

I thought the last published sim was: (I could be wrong)

8W w 8 P2 cogs @ 180MHz
    3W w 8 P2 cogs @ 100MHz

Both unrealistic worst case figures due to ALL subsystems in the P2 working at once, which I think is not possible with pasm or compiled code.

I am really curious to see what the max power envelopes will be for the currently discussed P16X512 running at 200MHz (100MIPS)

My gut feeling says sims will be something like 1.5W-3W w 16 P1+ cogs @ 200MHz (100MIPS) (prediction only, I hope I am wrong!)

(If I am right, I can already hear the "Toss out hubexec! Toss out PTRA/PTRB! It will save a lot of power!" - when in fact it would save very little.)
    evanh wrote: »
    Orrrrr, seeing the light, maybe? :P ... Nah, if I may offer an analysis, I think the voting thing caught you off guard. You had invested your time into helping Chip and then some punk thought this was all a democracy and it appeared like that was the deciding factor.

While Chip may have taken a second look due to the vote, in the end, I think the last round of thermal simulations at four Cogs is really what did it in for the P2 design at 180nm.
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2014-04-16 06:54
    > won't even find VGA monitors. Its all HDMI.
    If it was me designing the P2/P3 I would start it out as a SDRAM to HDMI Transmitter and add MCU/analog stuff on later.
    But it's the 180nm that is problem to archive GBit transfers, so it would have to be done in expensive (for now) 65nm
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-04-16 06:56
    Ken Gracey wrote: »

Ken Gracey

Thanks, Ken!!

I've been staying out of this tumultuous debate but since this exchange made me spew "morning beverage" on my keyboard, I have to reply!!

Yes, "standard I/O' is a more acceptable name!

(now I need to go clean my keyboard! :lol:)

On a serious note, it will be very nice to have the Smart I/O functions availble on the FPGA so they can be tested and explored before the silicon is cast.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,356
    edited 2014-04-16 07:04
    mindrobots wrote: »
    I've been staying out of this tumultuous debate but since this exchange made me spew "morning beverage" on my keyboard, I have to reply!!

Well I'll be damned, I didn't grok Ken at all. "dumb-i/o" is a perfectly ordinary phrase to me.
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2014-04-16 07:09
    My gut feeling says sims will be something like 1.5W-3W w 16 P1+ cogs @ 200MHz (100MIPS) (prediction only, I hope I am wrong!)
    Based on the 8W for P2 I'm guessing the current P1+ design will be around 1W-1.5W. The P2 required 16x the number of LEs as the P1, and ran at 8x the instruction rate. The P1+ has 2x the number of cogs with 5x the instruction rate. Throwing in anther factor of 2x for the extra features gives a total of 20x for P1+ versus 128x for P2. Scaling this from the 8W P2 value gives 1.25W.
    edited 2014-04-16 07:29
    I hope you are right.

I do wonder on the impact of 64 smart pins, with 32 bit counters, running at 200Mhz - which is one of the reasons I put the low end of my estimate at 1.5W

Please note - I would be absolutely delighted if the simulation returned less than 1.5W as the maximum!
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    Based on the 8W for P2 I'm guessing the current P1+ design will be around 1W-1.5W. The P2 required 16x the number of LEs as the P1, and ran at 8x the instruction rate. The P1+ has 2x the number of cogs with 5x the instruction rate. Throwing in anther factor of 2x for the extra features gives a total of 20x for P1+ versus 128x for P2. Scaling this from the 8W P2 value gives 1.25W.
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2014-04-16 07:40
    > 64 smart pins, with 32 bit counters, running at 200Mhz

As the 32bit counter are binary, the first bit toggles at 200mhz the next 100mhz and the next at 50Mhz and the next at 25Mhz and the next at 12.5Mhz............................................
    It's the toggling that use power, so the upper 24bits toggles at such low rate that their power usage is negligible
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2014-04-16 07:41
    Question: Is anyone going to be disappointed if we get rid of hardware multitasking in the cogs?

Get rid of it. I think the increase in cogs has made this feature less necessary anyhow. There will certainly be use cases where hardware multitasking is preferred (possibly even necessary), but the trade-off probably isn't worth it at this point. You can revisit that for P2+. ::) In earlier posts, I had suggested bringing back PORTD (or something like it) in lieu of hardware multitasking. The truth is that this would only be a "nice to have" feature. With the P1+ running at 100MIPS and hub access every 16 clocks, hub data interchange will still be faster than on the P1. It may only be a marginal increase, but it's free!
    edited 2014-04-16 07:48
    Yep.

I simply don't know how much 64 pins * even just low 4 bits will matter. It will matter some, the question is how much?
    tonyp12 wrote: »
    > 64 smart pins, with 32 bit counters, running at 200Mhz

As the 32bit counter are binary, the first bit toggles at 200mhz the next 100mhz and the next at 50Mhz and the next at 25Mhz and the next at 12.5Mhz............................................
    It's the toggling that use power, so the upper 24bits toggles at such low rate that their power usage is negligible